X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DrMaddVibe
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    • Jan 2004

Sen. Allen Still Pushing 'Paycheck Penalty'

NewsMax caught up with Sen. George Allen Saturday morning at the Southern Republican Leadership Conference in Memphis, Tenn. to ask him about his proposed idea of withholding congressional pay when Congress fails to deliver legislation during the regular Congressional season.

The senator and likely 2008 presidential candidate explained that he first introduced the idea last month and he mentioned his "paycheck penalty” proposal again during the morning general session.

In fact, unbeknownst to Allen, the witty Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., who spoke after Allen in the morning session, drew laughter from the crowd when he said he just heard about a pay cut in October, so he would need to hold a fundraiser.

"The reaction of my colleagues was, they were not real thrilled," Allen said. "One of them said that’s an interesting idea and he asked ‘that applies only to appropriation committee meeting members, right?' And I said, 'no, no, it applies to all.' He wasn’t real happy.”

Allen added that support was lean, even with families.

"I brought this up to a group and one of the spouse’s said, 'No, no, no!' And I said that’s exactly why it would work ... The spouses and the family would be saying, ‘Hey mom and dad, get these things done We can’t be going month after month without a paycheck.'

"My argument is in the real world that it works exactly that way," Allen continued. "If someone is building a house or an addition there is always 10 percent or so that is withheld until they get a certificate of occupancy.”

With a more serious tone, the Virginia senator explained why he thinks some type of penalty is needed.

"I find it deplorable, really, that you have a full-time legislature and you go into session on January 3 and you have all the way to October 1 and you can’t get it done. The fact is if you look at last January, we had two votes in the Senate, both on Alito - stopping the filibuster and the vote which was very important.

"But not everyone is on the judiciary committee," he continued. "Why can’t they get moving on a variety of other matters, so they don’t get into May and June and start saying we don’t have enough time.”

When asked who is actually supportive of the idea, the Senator laughed.

"I haven’t found any yet. However, I am going to try to find a way. [Sen. Tom] Coburn, R-Mo., ought to be with me. I’ll have to talk to him.”

On a more serious note, the Senator said he believes Americans would be for the idea.

"I know who’s for it: the American people ... If these folks were in the U.S. Senate, this would have passed 99 to 1.

"The people are for it and that’s what matters," Allen said. "The owners of government are for it. Maybe the owners of congress aren’t yet enthused about it.”

I can see this guy's star rising!
    http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...auders1zl5.gif
    http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...willywonka.gif
  • Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

What did he say about the massive deficit?

Comment

• blueturk
      Veteran
      • Jul 2004

Or the raises these fuckers give each other all the fucking time?

Comment

• FORD
        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

These guys are all millionaires anyway. If they miss a paycheck, they'll replace it with another bribe from a corporation.

Allen is another Quayle/Chimpy dumbass empty suit puppet candidate.
        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Big Train
          Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

I don't care how long they take to do it as long as it's reasonable. And it could create the incentive to just go along with some ideas just to get the session over.

A better bill would be to say "No Riders" legislation. Vote on the proposal and the proposal only. That would save billions and billions of dollars.

Comment

• FORD
            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Big Train
            I don't care how long they take to do it as long as it's reasonable. And it could create the incentive to just go along with some ideas just to get the session over.

A better bill would be to say "No Riders" legislation. Vote on the proposal and the proposal only. That would save billions and billions of dollars.
            Ted Stevens would never go for that. How else would he have gotten that $300 million dollar bridge to an island with 20 people living on it?
            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• EAT MY ASSHOLE
              Veteran
              • Feb 2006

Originally posted by FORD
              Ted Stevens would never go for that. How else would he have gotten that $300 million dollar bridge to an island with 20 people living on it?
              so we should just abandon those 20 people??? Elitist!!!
              RIM ME!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• FORD
                ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
                so we should just abandon those 20 people??? Elitist!!!
                Actually, the island has a ferry and an airport. The residents didn't see what all the fuss was about.
                Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Warham
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Mar 2004

George Allen in '08!

Comment

• EAT MY ASSHOLE
                    Veteran
                    • Feb 2006

Originally posted by FORD
                    Actually, the island has a ferry and an airport. The residents didn't see what all the fuss was about.
                    Maybe Stevens didn't want the residents to have to emulate Bainbridge.
                    RIM ME!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Warham
                      George Allen in '08!
                      I agree! We'll paint the White House 'blue.'

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jul 2004

Re: Sen. Allen Still Pushing 'Paycheck Penalty'

Originally posted by DrMaddVibe

I can see this guy's star rising!

Bwahahahahahahhaahahahhahaahahahahahahahahahahahha haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Jeus fucking Christ that's hilarious.

He's Bush, only dumber , and without the leadership skills

LMMFAO

:lol

Originally posted by Kristy
                        Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
                        Originally posted by cadaverdog
                        I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Re: Re: Sen. Allen Still Pushing 'Paycheck Penalty'

Originally posted by LoungeMachine

LMMFAO

You mean without KARL ROVE's hand up his ass...

Comment

• DrMaddVibe
                            ROTH ARMY ELITE
                            • Jan 2004

Re: Re: Sen. Allen Still Pushing 'Paycheck Penalty'

Originally posted by LoungeMachine
                            Bwahahahahahahhaahahahhahaahahahahahahahahahahahha haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Jeus fucking Christ that's hilarious.

LMMFAO

He's smarter than you!
                            http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...auders1zl5.gif
                            http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...willywonka.gif

Comment

• Warham
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Mar 2004

Comment

Working...