PDA

View Full Version : Busheep hatred towards Liberals reaches a new low

FORD
03-15-2006, 05:37 PM
Woman who says she was fired for bumpersticker is offered job; Liberal radio faces attacks
03/15/2006 @ 11:29 am
Filed by Miriam Raftery

The San Diego affiliate of Air America Radio has offered a job to Linda Laroca, a Vista, California woman who is suing her former employer after purportedly being fired for having the progressive talk radio station’s bumper sticker on her car.

“KLSD has offered her a job in the sales department with a guarantee that if she has a KLSD bumper sticker on her car, she won’t be fired,” KLSD radio host Stacy Taylor told RAW STORY. In a followup, Scott Tempesta, a producer for the station, said the offer would still involve an interview process and wasn't formal.

Taylor was uncertain whether Laroca would seek the job. Laroca could not be reached for comment.

In a lawsuit filed Feb. 21, Laroca alleged that Beverly Fath, her former manager at Advantage Sales and Marketing, spotted the KLSD bumper sticker on Laroca’s car in a grocery store parking lot, where they had met to exchange some paperwork. According to Laroca’s suit, Fath called KLSD “that Al Franken left-wing radical radio station,” told Laroca that she could be a member of Al-Qaida, and fired her on the spot.

Laroca’s suit seeks lost wages and damages for wrongful termination for violations of the state labor code as well as public policy. California is one of the few states which prohibits employers from discriminating against employees based on political beliefs. In addition, Laroca claims emotional distress and violations of the California constitution.

The employer later claimed the comment about firing was a joke and asked Laroca to return to work, Laroca said in an interview on Taylor’s radio show Mar. 10.

Laroca declined, citing a climate of intimidation. Laroca’s former employer has declined to comment on the suit.

“The unwelcoming, very hostile environment is clearly there,” Taylor said.

Asked if he was surprised to learn that a listener had lost a job over a bumper sticker, Taylor replied, “Yes and no. Going all the way back to 2004, we’ve gotten a lot of anecdotal evidence, call-ins from people, with bumper stickers for liberal causes.” Listeners reported reactions ranging from angry looks to more serious confrontations. “In fact we had one woman who said her husband was fired for listening to Air America on the job.”

This was not the first time that Laroca had been the target of hostility for expressing her political views in public.

“A couple of weeks before the firing incident, she had her tires slit over a confrontation over a T-shirt she’d been wearing that was not flattering to President Bush—at the same Vons parking lot where this incident happened,” Taylor said.

KLSD isn’t the only liberal radio entity to encounter suppression tactics. Syndicated Air America host Randi Rhodes is being sued by CACI International Inc. for comments she made on her show about the role of CACI employees in the torture of prisoners in Iraq. CACI, an Iraq contractor, is facing legal action over an interpreter’s alleged role in torturing detainees. The company denies the claim.

Other Air America hosts also say they face intimidation on the job. Atlanta-based Air America host Mike Malloy says he has received death threats against his 19-month-old daughter.

“We get e-mails,” he told RAW STORY. “I’ve turned them over to the FBI. They threatened to kill her, to beat her up, to rape her.” Malloy says he has previously received threats from the religious right, adding that Atlanta police once advised him to get a permit and carry a gun.

Recently, conservatives have purchased several stations broadcasting Air America broadcasts and changed the programming. In Phoenix and West Virginia, right-wing Christian groups bought out Air America affiliate stations and converted to Christian formats. In Missoula, Montana, a station switched from Air America to music programming “because advertisers were being intimidated by the right wing,” Malloy said.

In Phoenix, liberals have launched a grassroots effort to raise the half million dollars needed to start a new progressive talk radio station.

Asked why more progressives don’t buy stations to assure liberal programming, Malloy replied, “So-called liberals in this country are not organized. They are not focused…There are liberals with money but apparently they don’t give a damn.”

Taylor observed that many rightwing talk show hosts including Fox News personalities have long been reporting that Air America is about to go out of business.

“It’s all totally bogus,” mused the KLSD host, who sees a silver lining to the controversy. “The good side about this is that all these righties are kvetching…saying we’re about to go under – yet they seem very obsessed about it. Anybody who would deface a car, slit a tire, or fire somebody – they realize that their own arguments are becoming sort of bankrupt.”

Asked earlier this month by The Nation about Air America’s future, host Al Franken declared, “Look, Bill O'Reilly alone has said that Air America was on the verge of collapse thirty-six times. We're not going anywhere."

link (http://www.rawstory.com/admin/dbscripts/printstory.php?story=1644)

amadeus
03-15-2006, 05:41 PM
I think that is wrong if it is actually going on and I am a conservative. There is no call at all for crap like this to be happening-if you don't agree with someone else's politics take care of it another way. I have listened to Air America Radio and I don't find it interesting but I could be biased because I cannot stand Al Franken whatsoever and it it has nothing to do with his liberal viewpoints.

Jerry Falwell
03-15-2006, 05:47 PM
I agree Amadeus

blueturk
03-15-2006, 06:30 PM
I've got a bumpersticker on my car that says "If you can read this, you're not the president", and you wouldn't fucking believe some of the reactions from sheep. I've been yelled at, given the finger, and had people approach me and ask me what the hell THAT's all about. And if looks could kill, I'd be dead as hell now. It's probably a good thing that I'm not real little or anything. It's that bad. My wife takes the sticker off if she drives the car because she doesn't want the hassle.
On the other hand, if I see a "W" sticker or something, I don't go ballistic or anything. I think some sheep have totally fallen for Dubya's "you're either with us or against us" credo, and think I'm a commie. The sheep that fell for Dubya's "religion" probably think I worship Satan, I guess. Oh well.

Nickdfresh
03-15-2006, 07:00 PM
There are some fucking scary people that are truly clueless Mccarthyist assholes out there...

Satan
03-15-2006, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by blueturk
The sheep that fell for Dubya's "religion" probably think I worship Satan, I guess. Oh well.

You say that as if it's a bad thing? :confused:

LoungeMachine
03-15-2006, 08:16 PM
I've got a bumpersticker on my car that says "If you can read this, you're not the president", .

ROTMFFLMMFAO !!!!!!!

I want one. :D

Nitro Express
03-16-2006, 12:37 AM
I just loosen the oil plug in their oil pan or unscrew their oil filter if it's accessable. Nothing is better payback than a siezed engine.

Ally_Kat
03-16-2006, 12:47 AM
I believe bumper sticker chick can sue about it. She should; That's a little extreme.

But don't forget it does go the other way, esp in the school section. My advisor was very reluctant to do anything for me because, as she so often pointed outot everyone in the program, I was "one of those Republican people". I almost didn't make it into my current program because she dragged her heels on my recommendation letter. On the day of my graduation, I got a letter from my current school telling me that she never sent it.

Satan
03-16-2006, 02:36 AM
The Busheep ain't just threatening the Air America crowd either........

Supreme Court Justice Reveals Death Threats
By GINA HOLLAND, AP

WASHINGTON (March 15) - Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg said she and former Justice Sandra Day O'Connor have been the targets of death threats from the "irrational fringe" of society, people apparently spurred by Republican criticism of the high court.

Ginsburg revealed in a speech in South Africa last month that she and O'Connor were threatened a year ago by someone who called on the Internet for the immediate "patriotic" killing of the justices.

Security concerns among judges have been growing.

Conservative commentator Ann Coulter joked earlier this year that Justice John Paul Stevens should be poisoned. Over the past few months O'Connor has complained that criticism, mainly by Republicans, has threatened judicial independence to deal with difficult issues like gay marriage.

Worry is not limited to the Supreme Court. Three quarters of the nation's 2,200 federal judges have asked for government-paid home security systems, Attorney General Alberto Gonzales said this week.

Ginsburg said the Web threat was apparently prompted by legislation in Congress, filed by Republicans, that would bar judges from relying on foreign laws or court decisions.

"It is disquieting that they have attracted sizable support. And one not-so-small concern - they fuel the irrational fringe," she said in a speech posted online by the court earlier this month and first reported Wednesday by LegalTimes.com.

According to Ginsburg, someone in a Web site chat room wrote: "Okay commandoes, here is your first patriotic assignment ... an easy one. Supreme Court Justices Ginsburg and O'Connor have publicly stated that they use (foreign) laws and rulings to decide how to rule on American cases. This is a huge threat to our Republic and Constitutional freedom. ... If you are what you say you are, and NOT armchair patriots, then those two justices will not live another week."

Rep. Tom Feeney, R-Fla., a sponsor of one of the congressional proposals, wrote about the legislation on his Web site and in bold letters featured a quote from O'Connor predicting the Supreme Court would probably increasingly rely on foreign courts.

Ginsburg pointed out that the legislation was first proposed in 2004, an election year.

Justices, in some of their most hotly contested rulings, have looked overseas. Last year, for example, justices barred the executions of juvenile killers on a 5-4 vote. Justice Anthony M. Kennedy said then that "it is proper that we acknowledge the overwhelming weight of international opinion against the juvenile death penalty."

In an angry dissent to that decision, Justice Antonin Scalia said capital punishment policy should be set by states, not "the subjective views of five members of this court and like-minded foreigners."

Ginsburg said, "Critics in Congress and in the media misperceive how and why U.S. courts refer to foreign and international court decisions." She said those decisions are used for guidance only.

O'Connor said last week during a speech at Georgetown Law School that the justices have received threats. But the Ginsburg remarks at the Constitutional Court of South Africa provide unusual detail.

Ginsburg, who turned 73 Wednesday, told the audience O'Connor "remains alive and well - as for me, you can judge for yourself."

03/15/06 16:28 EST

Link (http://articles.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20060315163009990004)

BigBadBrian
03-16-2006, 01:28 PM
Anything that a liberal says must be seriously srutinizred and possibly be considered a lie or false.

:gulp:

LoungeMachine
03-16-2006, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian

srutinizred

:gulp:

A little early in the day to be hitting the bottle, aint it Bri?

;)

Satan
03-16-2006, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
A little early in the day to be hitting the bottle, aint it Bri?

;)

If I were still defending this fraudministration, I'd be hitting the bottle at 6:66 in the morning.

bueno bob
03-16-2006, 01:57 PM
Well, on the flipside of the issue, my wife wants me to hit cars she sees with any Bush sticker on it...seriously HIT them...

Nickdfresh
03-16-2006, 02:02 PM
Bri must be IRISH! Happy St. Patty's Day to ya.'

BigBadBrian
03-16-2006, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
Bri must be IRISH! Happy St. Patty's Day to ya.'

:D

EAT MY ASSHOLE
03-16-2006, 08:33 PM
So let's see...you're crying that the Right is treating the Libs with less than ideal respect...and yet the title of your thread - the very first word - is "Busheep". Wow...there's soooo much I could say, but really...I'll just let you keep digging your own grave.

Oh, well. You get what you give.

blueturk
03-16-2006, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
So let's see...you're crying that the Right is treating the Libs with less than ideal respect...and yet the title of your thread - the very first word - is "Busheep". Wow...there's soooo much I could say, but really...I'll just let you keep digging your own grave.

You don't like being called a "Busheep"? Then don't be one.

Satan
03-16-2006, 09:05 PM

And how exactly does that compare with someone threatening to rape and murder a 19 month old baby?

Cathedral
03-16-2006, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by Satan
And how exactly does that compare with someone threatening to rape and murder a 19 month old baby?

Makes about as much sense as killing a fetus, doesn't it?

Satan
03-16-2006, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Cathedral
Makes about as much sense as killing a fetus, doesn't it?

Talk to WarPig about that. He's the one who seems to believe that God justifies killing children.

Not this Devil.

EAT MY ASSHOLE
03-16-2006, 10:34 PM
You don't like being called a "Busheep"? Then don't be one.

So I should get in lockstep with your agenda? Is that what you're saying? Sieg heil!!!

LoungeMachine
03-16-2006, 10:39 PM
So I should get in lockstep with your agenda? Is that what you're saying? Sieg heil!!!

Ironic, no?

You're either with us , or you're with them

Freedom's on the march.

Tell us....what's generally happened to anyone of any party that hasn't been in lock step with this administration's agenda?

Jesus, this group truly eats it's own.

Or forgets they ever met them:cool:

EAT MY ASSHOLE

It doesn't. Then again, nice blanket generalisation saying that I - or anyone else - has ANYTHING in common with these isolated examples of extremism that have less to do with political leanings and beliefs than mental imbalances that implore for immediate, severe medical attention.

Warham
Talk to WarPig about that. He's the one who seems to believe that God justifies killing children.

Not this Devil.

Satan justifies in killing ALL children, not just one 19 month old. Anything to put humanity through more misery.

GOD can take what he creates. Satan has no such authority.

And Cat was talking about abortions, something that you approve of every time you vote for a Democrat.

blueturk
03-16-2006, 10:43 PM

My comparisons run more towards the Orwellian theory. This administration wants you to believe what they want you to believe. And obviously you believe it. You're not in lock step; you're just incredibly gullible.

Warham
03-16-2006, 10:46 PM
My comparisons run more towards the Orwellian theory. This administration wants you to believe what they want you to believe. And obviously you believe it. You're not in lock step; you're just incredibly gullible.

Orwellian theory?

1984 was a book of fiction.

EAT MY ASSHOLE
03-16-2006, 10:48 PM

Tell us....what's generally happened to anyone of any party that hasn't been in lock step with this administration's agenda?

I guess you could ask Valerie Plame, Cynthia McKinney or Richard Clarke that question.

Jesus, this group truly eats it's own.

Or forgets they ever met them:cool:

Have you read the article on Jack Abramoff in the current Vanity Fair? He seems more pissed that the likes of Newt Gingrinch can't remember ever having met him than he is with the criminal charges against him.

LoungeMachine
03-16-2006, 10:48 PM

The truly scary part is when you realize The Chimp believes what he's saying...

Jesus H.:rolleyes:

LoungeMachine
03-16-2006, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by Warham
Orwellian theory?

So was Powell's address to the UN

Which is scarier?

Warham
03-16-2006, 10:52 PM
What's scary to me is the Democratic Party ever getting control of our national security.

blueturk
03-16-2006, 10:52 PM
Orwellian theory?

From "1984" by George Orwell:

"The Ministry of Truth -- Minitrue, in Newspeak -- was startlingly different from any other object in sight. It was an enormous pyramidal structure of glittering white concrete, soaring up, terrace after terrace, 300 metres into the air. From where Winston stood it was just possible to read, picked out on its white face in elegant lettering, the three slogans of the Party:

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH"

From George W. Bush:

"I just want you to know that, when we talk about war, we're really talking about peace." —George W. Bush, June 18, 2002

EAT MY ASSHOLE
03-16-2006, 10:53 PM

I think I've amply demonstrated I think for myself. Sorry that I believe in the war (though not the rhetoric for how it was sold)(simply, all nations - for purposes of survival - are destined to become imperialistic, and maybe in the 19th and 20th centuries, the isolaiton of being on this continent benefitted the nation, but in the 21st, contorl of the globe - and maintaining oneself as the one world super-power - requires deep placement/control in the middle east.

I'm also down with the abolishment of the estate tax.

Warham
03-16-2006, 10:53 PM
Like I said, fiction.

blueturk
03-16-2006, 10:58 PM
Like I said, fiction.

December 15, 2003 issue
Copyright © 2003 The American Conservative

“Free-Speech Zone”

The administration quarantines dissent.

By James Bovard

On Dec. 6, 2001, Attorney General John Ashcroft informed the Senate Judiciary Committee, “To those who scare peace-loving people with phantoms of lost liberty … your tactics only aid terrorists, for they erode our national unity and … give ammunition to America’s enemies.” Some commentators feared that Ashcroft’s statement, which was vetted beforehand by top lawyers at the Justice Department, signaled that this White House would take a far more hostile view towards opponents than did recent presidents. And indeed, some Bush administration policies indicate that Ashcroft’s comment was not a mere throwaway line.

When Bush travels around the United States, the Secret Service visits the location ahead of time and orders local police to set up “free speech zones” or “protest zones” where people opposed to Bush policies (and sometimes sign-carrying supporters) are quarantined. These zones routinely succeed in keeping protesters out of presidential sight and outside the view of media covering the event.

When Bush came to the Pittsburgh area on Labor Day 2002, 65-year-old retired steel worker Bill Neel was there to greet him with a sign proclaiming, “The Bush family must surely love the poor, they made so many of us.” The local police, at the Secret Service’s behest, set up a “designated free-speech zone” on a baseball field surrounded by a chain-link fence a third of a mile from the location of Bush’s speech. The police cleared the path of the motorcade of all critical signs, though folks with pro-Bush signs were permitted to line the president’s path. Neel refused to go to the designated area and was arrested for disorderly conduct; the police also confiscated his sign. Neel later commented, “As far as I’m concerned, the whole country is a free speech zone. If the Bush administration has its way, anyone who criticizes them will be out of sight and out of mind.”

At Neel’s trial, police detective John Ianachione testified that the Secret Service told local police to confine “people that were there making a statement pretty much against the president and his views” in a so-called free speech area. Paul Wolf, one of the top officials in the Allegheny County Police Department, told Salon that the Secret Service “come in and do a site survey, and say, ‘Here’s a place where the people can be, and we’d like to have any protesters put in a place that is able to be secured.’” Pennsylvania district judge Shirley Rowe Trkula threw out the disorderly conduct charge against Neel, declaring, “I believe this is America. Whatever happened to ‘I don’t agree with you, but I’ll defend to the death your right to say it’?”

Similar suppressions have occurred during Bush visits to Florida. A recent St. Petersburg Times editorial noted, “At a Bush rally at Legends Field in 2001, three demonstrators—two of whom were grandmothers—were arrested for holding up small handwritten protest signs outside the designated zone. And last year, seven protesters were arrested when Bush came to a rally at the USF Sun Dome. They had refused to be cordoned off into a protest zone hundreds of yards from the entrance to the Dome.” One of the arrested protesters was a 62-year-old man holding up a sign, “War is good business. Invest your sons.” The seven were charged with trespassing, “obstructing without violence and disorderly conduct.”

Police have repressed protesters during several Bush visits to the St. Louis area as well. When Bush visited on Jan. 22, 2003, 150 people carrying signs were shunted far away from the main action and effectively quarantined. Denise Lieberman of the ACLU of Eastern Missouri commented, “No one could see them from the street. In addition, the media were not allowed to talk to them. The police would not allow any media inside the protest area and wouldn’t allow any of the protesters out of the protest zone to talk to the media.” When Bush stopped by a Boeing plant to talk to workers, Christine Mains and her five-year-old daughter disobeyed orders to move to a small protest area far from the action. Police arrested Mains and took her and her crying daughter away in separate squad cars.

The Justice Department is now prosecuting Brett Bursey, who was arrested for holding a “No War for Oil” sign at a Bush visit to Columbia, S.C. Local police, acting under Secret Service orders, established a “free speech zone” half a mile from where Bush would speak. Bursey was standing amid hundreds of people carrying signs praising the president. Police told Bursey to remove himself to the “free speech zone.”

Bursey refused and was arrested. Bursey said that he asked the policeman if “it was the content of my sign, and he said, ‘Yes, sir, it’s the content of your sign that’s the problem.’” Bursey stated that he had already moved 200 yards from where Bush was supposed to speak. Bursey later complained, “The problem was, the restricted area kept moving. It was wherever I happened to be standing.”

Bursey was charged with trespassing. Five months later, the charge was dropped because South Carolina law prohibits arresting people for trespassing on public property. But the Justice Department—in the person of U.S. Attorney Strom Thurmond Jr.—quickly jumped in, charging Bursey with violating a rarely enforced federal law regarding “entering a restricted area around the President of the United States.” If convicted, Bursey faces a six-month trip up the river and a $5000 fine. Federal magistrate Bristow Marchant denied Bursey’s request for a jury trial because his violation is categorized as a “petty offense.” Some observers believe that the feds are seeking to set a precedent in a conservative state such as South Carolina that could then be used against protesters nationwide.

Bursey’s trial took place on Nov. 12 and 13. His lawyers sought the Secret Service documents they believed would lay out the official policies on restricting critical speech at presidential visits. The Bush administration sought to block all access to the documents, but Marchant ruled that the lawyers could have limited access. Bursey sought to subpoena John Ashcroft and Karl Rove to testify. Bursey lawyer Lewis Pitts declared, “We intend to find out from Mr. Ashcroft why and how the decision to prosecute Mr. Bursey was reached.” The magistrate refused, however, to enforce the subpoenas. Secret Service agent Holly Abel testified at the trial that Bursey was told to move to the “free speech zone” but refused to co-operate. Magistrate Marchant is expected to issue his decision in December.

The feds have offered some bizarre rationales for hog-tying protesters. Secret Service agent Brian Marr explained to National Public Radio, “These individuals may be so involved with trying to shout their support or non-support that inadvertently they may walk out into the motorcade route and be injured. And that is really the reason why we set these places up, so we can make sure that they have the right of free speech, but, two, we want to be sure that they are able to go home at the end of the evening and not be injured in any way.” Except for having their constitutional rights shredded.

Marr’s comments are a mockery of this country’s rich heritage of vigorous protests. Somehow, all of a sudden, after George W. Bush became president people became so stupid that federal agents had to cage them to prevent them from walking out in front of speeding vehicles.

The ACLU, along with several other organizations, is suing the Secret Service for what it charges is a pattern-and-practice of suppressing protesters at Bush events in Arizona, California, Connecticut, Michigan, New Jersey, New Mexico, Texas, and elsewhere. The ACLU’s Witold Walczak said of the protesters, “The individuals we are talking about didn’t pose a security threat; they posed a political threat.”

The Secret Service is duty-bound to protect the president. But it is ludicrous to presume that would-be terrorists are lunkheaded enough to carry anti-Bush signs when carrying pro-Bush signs would give them much closer access. And even a policy of removing all people carrying signs—as has happened in some demonstrations—is pointless, since potential attackers would simply avoid carrying signs. Presuming that terrorists are as unimaginative and predictable as the average federal bureaucrat is not a recipe for presidential longevity.

The Bush administration’s anti-protester bias proved embarrassing for two American allies with long traditions of raucous free speech, resulting in some of the most repressive restrictions in memory in free countries. When Bush visited Australia in October, Sydney Morning Herald columnist Mark Riley observed, “The basic right of freedom of speech will adopt a new interpretation during the Canberra visits this week by the US President, George Bush, and his Chinese counterpart, Hu Jintao. Protesters will be free to speak as much as they like just as long as they can’t be heard.” Demonstrators were shunted to an area away from the Federal Parliament building and prohibited from using any public address system in the area.

For Bush’s recent visit to London, the White House demanded that British police ban all protest marches, close down the center of the city, and impose a “virtual three day shutdown of central London in a bid to foil disruption of the visit by anti-war protesters,” according to Britain’s Evening Standard. But instead of a “free speech zone”—as such areas are labeled in the U.S.—the Bush administration demanded an “exclusion zone” to protect Bush from protesters’ messages.

Such unprecedented restrictions did not inhibit Bush from portraying himself as a champion of freedom during his visit. In a speech at Whitehall on Nov. 19, Bush hyped the “forward strategy of freedom” and declared, “We seek the advance of freedom and the peace that freedom brings.” Regarding the protesters, Bush sought to turn the issue into a joke: “I’ve been here only a short time, but I’ve noticed that the tradition of free speech—exercised with enthusiasm—is alive and well here in London. We have that at home, too. They now have that right in Baghdad, as well.”

Attempts to suppress protesters become more disturbing in light of the Homeland Security Department’s recommendation that local police departments view critics of the war on terrorism as potential terrorists. In a May 2003 terrorist advisory, the Homeland Security Department warned local law enforcement agencies to keep an eye on anyone who “expressed dislike of attitudes and decisions of the U.S. government.” If police vigorously followed this advice, millions of Americans could be added to the official lists of “suspected terrorists.”

Protesters have claimed that police have assaulted them during demonstrations in New York, Washington, and elsewhere. Film footage of a February New York antiwar rally showed what looked like a policeman on horseback charging into peaceful aged Leftists. The neoconservative New York Sun suggested in February 2003 that the New York Police Department “send two witnesses along for each participant [in an antiwar demonstration], with an eye toward preserving at least the possibility of an eventual treason prosecution” since all the demonstrators were guilty of “giving, at the very least, comfort to Saddam Hussein.”

One of the most violent government responses to an antiwar protest occurred when local police and the federally funded California Anti-Terrorism Task Force fired rubber bullets and tear gas at peaceful protesters and innocent bystanders at the port of Oakland, injuring a number of people. When the police attack sparked a geyser of media criticism, Mike van Winkle, the spokesman for the California Anti-Terrorism Information Center told the Oakland Tribune, “You can make an easy kind of a link that, if you have a protest group protesting a war where the cause that’s being fought against is international terrorism, you might have terrorism at that protest. You can almost argue that a protest against that is a terrorist act.” Van Winkle justified classifying protesters like terrorists: “I’ve heard terrorism described as anything that is violent or has an economic impact, and shutting down a port certainly would have some economic impact. Terrorism isn’t just bombs going off and killing people.”

Such aggressive tactics become more ominous in the light of the Bush administration’s advocacy, in its Patriot II draft legislation, of nullifying all judicial consent decrees restricting state and local police from spying on those groups who may oppose government policies.

On May 30, 2002, Ashcroft effectively abolished restrictions on FBI surveillance of Americans’ everyday lives first imposed in 1976. One FBI internal newsletter encouraged FBI agents to conduct more interviews with antiwar activists “for plenty of reasons, chief of which it will enhance the paranoia endemic in such circles and will further service to get the point across that there is an FBI agent behind every mailbox.” The FBI took a shotgun approach towards protesters partly because of the FBI’s “belief that dissident speech and association should be prevented because they were incipient steps towards the possible ultimate commission of act which might be criminal,” according to a Senate report.

On Nov. 23 news broke that the FBI is now actively conducting surveillance of antiwar demonstrators—supposedly to “blunt potential violence by extremist elements,” according to a Reuters interview with a federal law enforcement official. Given the FBI’s expansive defintion of “potential violence” in the past, this is a net that could catch almost any group or individual who falls into official disfavor.

The FBI is also urging local police to report suspicious activity by protesters to the Joint Terrorism Task Force, which is run by the FBI. If local police take the hint and start pouring in the dirt, the JTTF could soon be building a “Total Information Awareness”-lite database on those antiwar groups and activists.

If the FBI publicly admits that it is surveilling antiwar groups and urging local police to send in information on protestors, how far might the feds go? It took over a decade after the first big antiwar protests in the 1960s before the American people learned the extent of FBI efforts to suppress and subvert public opposition to the Vietnam War. Is the FBI now considering a similar order to field offices as the one it sent in 1968, telling them to gather information illustrating the “scurrilous and depraved nature of many of the characters, activities habits, and living conditions representative of New Left adherents”—but this time focused on those who oppose Bush’s Brave New World?

Is the administration seeking to stifle domestic criticism? Absolutely. Is it carrying out a war on dissent? Probably not—yet. But the trend lines in federal attacks on freedom of speech should raise grave concerns to anyone worried about the First Amendment or about how a future liberal Democratic president such as Hillary Clinton might exploit the precedents that Bush is setting.

http://www.amconmag.com/12_15_03/feature.html

LoungeMachine
03-16-2006, 10:59 PM
What's scary to me is the Democratic Party ever getting control of our national security.

How many planes were hijacked and used as missles during Clinton's 8 years?

How many times was the Pentagon hit during Clinton's 8 years?

How many times was the WTC a target of Terror Attack during Clinton's 8 years? ONE

Was the mastermind caught, tried, and convictted? YES

YOU are always touting the BushCO Homeland Security Scorecard as the litmus test for a secure nation.

You've done worse already at protecting us from "Terror", and still have 3 years to go.

blueturk
03-16-2006, 11:01 PM

Jesus, what a fucking sheep.:rolleyes:

Warham
03-16-2006, 11:02 PM
Bush has done so bad that we haven't been hit since 9/11.

Horrible, isn't it?

Warham
03-16-2006, 11:03 PM
How many planes were hijacked and used as missles during Clinton's 8 years?

How many times was the Pentagon hit during Clinton's 8 years?

How many times was the WTC a target of Terror Attack during Clinton's 8 years? ONE

Was the mastermind caught, tried, and convictted? YES

YOU are always touting the BushCO Homeland Security Scorecard as the litmus test for a secure nation.

You've done worse already at protecting us from "Terror", and still have 3 years to go.

How many times was Clinton offered Osama bin Laden and passed? Three

EAT MY ASSHOLE
03-16-2006, 11:04 PM

You've done worse already at protection us from "Terror", and still have 3 years to go.

Well...isn't that comforting. You must be a real joy to your daughters when you're tucking them in at night.

"And tonight, right after you manage to fall asleep, Daddy's going to come running into your room with a chain saw and hockey mask on. Be afraid, sweety...be afraid.

Sweet dreams!"

LoungeMachine
03-16-2006, 11:05 PM

Horrible, isn't it?

LMMFAO

You actually posted it again :rolleyes:

Warham believes......

ANY Republican, regardless of intelligence, ethics, or experience is BETTER suited to run this country than the MOST qualified Dem.

and

Bush's administration bears NO responsiblity for allowing 9/11 to happen.

LoungeMachine
03-16-2006, 11:07 PM
Well...isn't that comforting. You must be a real joy to your daughters when you're tucking them in at night.

"And tonight, right after you manage to fall asleep, Daddy's going to come running into your room with a chain saw and hockey mask on. Be afraid, sweety...be afraid.

Sweet dreams!"

1, they're too old to be "tucked in" by daddy, and I'll shoot the first boy who comes around wanting to take on that chore.

2, I'm just going by Warpig's score card.

He's the one famous for "well, we aint been hit again yet" :rolleyes:

LoungeMachine
03-16-2006, 11:09 PM
How many times was Clinton offered Osama bin Laden and passed? Three

So knowing he was out there, ya think MAYBE the chimp might have wanted to have ONE MEETING with his head of terrorism committee?

One?

Or had a briefing read to him.......slowly.......with big pictures

ODShowtime
03-16-2006, 11:13 PM
Orwellian theory?

yeah, and so was Smokey and the Bandit...

EAT MY ASSHOLE
03-16-2006, 11:14 PM
So knowing he was out there, ya think MAYBE the chimp might have wanted to have ONE MEETING with his head of terrorism committee?

One?

Or had a briefing read to him.......slowly.......with big pictures

What is he supposed to do? Micro-manage the whole country?

Sheesh. He's only one man, and he's only the president. What do you want from him???

Cathedral
03-16-2006, 11:14 PM
Peace Through Superior Firepower!

That's what was required to get it and that is what is required to preserve it for future generations.

I got news for all you Bush haters out there. the day when we cannot defend ourselves is the day when our freedoms and liberties end at the hands of another nation.

I don't care who's boy is in charge, our military might is our only defense against tyranny and becoming a dictatorship.
The way our country has been sold out by the Bush's and Clinton has done serious damage to our strength in the world and it will come back to bite us before all is said and done.

We as a nation have allowed our leaders to sell us out over the course of the last 60 years.
Our strength has always been through our unity, and that is all but gone now.
If we don't get that back, and rid this nation of those in power who are responsible for that rift, our children and their childrens children will NOT enjoy lives that we wanted for them.

They'll be opressed by whichever nation knocks our legs from under us and can keep us down.

The power struggle that leads everyone to attack everyone will get us nowhere, but it has made us weak and vulnerable.

ODShowtime
03-16-2006, 11:21 PM
What is he supposed to do? Micro-manage the whole country?

Sheesh. He's only one man, and he's only the president. What do you want from him???

I would ask that he appoint competent people. That's asking too much apparently. :rolleyes:

ODShowtime
03-16-2006, 11:22 PM
I got news for all you Bush haters out there. the day when we cannot defend ourselves is the day when our freedoms and liberties end at the hands of another nation.

I don't care who's boy is in charge, our military might is our only defense against tyranny and becoming a dictatorship.

Yep, I agree, too bad our Army has been foolishly stretched thin and bled out in the desert.

LoungeMachine
03-16-2006, 11:38 PM

I don't care who's boy is in charge, .

I do

Cathedral
03-16-2006, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by ODShowtime
Yep, I agree, too bad our Army has been foolishly stretched thin and bled out in the desert.

That's why i agree it's time to bring them home.
That's because i expected more fight from the Iraqi's than they have provided.
So my patience is gone, come what may, our boys and girls need to come home and rest for the BIG ONE that is surely coming down the pike.

In my view, we made up for Poppy running out on them, it's their war now.

Cathedral
03-16-2006, 11:53 PM
I do

Why?
As long as they represent all americans interests, which neither currently do, it shouldn't matter.

Warham
03-17-2006, 06:53 AM
I do

John Kerry for Lounge!

Nickdfresh
03-17-2006, 07:08 AM

Yeah, because a massive terrorist attack may happen when they control the White House and the Congress...

They could politicize intelligence to justify invading the wrong country...

They could turn our ports over to a company that may have ties to Islamic extremists...

Oh, wait a minute, "they" were REPUBLICANS...:)

Nickdfresh
03-17-2006, 07:10 AM
Like I said, fiction.

Much like Republicans being "conservatives" anymore...

Nickdfresh
03-17-2006, 07:18 AM

Horrible, isn't it?

No. But he has managed to kill of lot of US Servicemen and Iraqis in a huge mistake... (Not to mention ingrain ill-will in the Islamic world and tie our hands when dealing with IRAN).

Warham
03-17-2006, 07:36 AM
Yeah, because a massive terrorist attack may happen when they control the White House and the Congress...

They could politicize intelligence to justify invading the wrong country...

They could turn our ports over to a company that may have ties to Islamic extremists...

Oh, wait a minute, "they" were REPUBLICANS...:)

Dubai doesn't have any ties to Islamic extremists. The only thing they did was validate the Taliban government. We have great relations with them (one of our biggest naval ports is over there), and need to improve them, not harm them. Besides, wasn't Clinton over there getting cash from those 'extremists'?

Speaking of ports, didn't Clinton hand off one of our naval bases to China, the country that really makes you wet your pants?

Warham
03-17-2006, 07:38 AM

Yeah, and the Democrats in Congress really are in the mold of JFK, eh?

Warham
03-17-2006, 07:41 AM
No. But he has managed to kill of lot of US Servicemen and Iraqis in a huge mistake... (Not to mention ingrain ill-will in the Islamic world and tie our hands when dealing with IRAN).

Ingrain ill will in a country where the leader wants to wipe Israel off the map once he gets his hands on a nuclear device?

scamper
03-17-2006, 07:54 AM
My wife takes the sticker off if she drives the car because she doesn't want the hassle.

How do you take a sticker off and put it back on?

FORD
03-17-2006, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by scamper
How do you take a sticker off and put it back on?

If it's magnetic. Like all those fucking ribbon things.

Cathedral
03-17-2006, 09:27 AM

Damn, i gotta give ya props for that one.
They most definately are not my idea of conservatives either.

But my newest and biggest beef is how he has funneled money out of medicare and GSL's (guarenteed student loans) to pour into the military machine.

One day he claims we need to better educate our children to compete in the world economy, and then he cuts funding so the poorest can't go.....The medicare thing is still adding surprises to my mail box every few days in the form of bills that used to be paid by Medicare.

The latest was enrollment into a prescription drug program we didn't know we were enrolled in, and i have to pay a $165 sign up fee or the wife loses the coverage.
believe me, the cost of all 32 meds she is on right now would cost the average wage earner a years salary in one month, NOT paying that is NOT an option.

But it's stuff like this that tells me Bush isn't on the level here.
He says one thing, and does another, and it needs to stop like right now.
But Impeachement is the wrong answer if it doesn't remove the entire administration.

Warham
03-17-2006, 02:40 PM
I'm not happy with the massive spending either. Bush is definately not a conservative as far as that goes.

EAT MY ASSHOLE
03-17-2006, 02:48 PM
I'm not happy with the massive spending either. Bush is definately not a conservative as far as that goes.

Ahh, but you see, that massive spending is all part of the overall strategy and always has been.

"Eat My Asshole," I hear you ask, "Whatever do you mean?"

Glad you asked. When Bush firast took office there was a record amount of pork barrel spending in the public sector. Everybody had their hand out, and everybody got a piece.

Not good. But Bush couldn't just go out and deliver a state of the union and say "I'm abolishing the NEA. 'Cause I feel like it."

But now that there's this massive deficit, need to rebuild New orleans and trent Lott's porch, etc etc, NOW he can say, "the country doesn't have the money to spend on this stuff. Sorry, socialized medicine, we just don't hjave the cash."

It was a brilliant guerrilla strategy. And it's worked.

Angel
03-17-2006, 03:00 PM

ODShowtime
03-17-2006, 04:32 PM
Not good. But Bush couldn't just go out and deliver a state of the union and say "I'm abolishing the NEA. 'Cause I feel like it."

But now that there's this massive deficit, need to rebuild New orleans and trent Lott's porch, etc etc, NOW he can say, "the country doesn't have the money to spend on this stuff. Sorry, socialized medicine, we just don't hjave the cash."

Oh yeah, letting New Orleans be destroyed, brilliant strategy :rolleyes:

Warham
03-17-2006, 04:34 PM
Oh yeah, letting New Orleans be destroyed, brilliant strategy :rolleyes:

New Orleans was destroyed by a hurricane, not a man.

ODShowtime
03-17-2006, 04:42 PM

First of all that's debatable. Second, I was pointing out the ridiculousness of asshole's post. Thanks though.

LoungeMachine
03-17-2006, 04:42 PM

It wasn't Clinton's fault?

pshaw

Roy Munson
03-17-2006, 04:46 PM
It wasn't Clinton's fault?

pshaw

No. The levees were blown up by a bomb the white man planted there. Don't you know anything?

LoungeMachine
03-17-2006, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Roy Munson
Don't you know anything?

All evidence points to NO

Warham
03-17-2006, 04:48 PM
First of all that's debatable.

It's not debatable, unless you believe Bush has a weather-control machine behind his desk in the Oval Office.

LoungeMachine
03-17-2006, 04:52 PM
It's not debatable, unless you believe Bush has a weather-control machine behind his desk in the Oval Office.

Controlling the weather has NOTHING to do with it, and you know that.

Let's review what Chimpy DID have control over.

NASA
National Weather Service
Homeland Security
FEMA
His Staff

And you cannot excuse his going to fundraisers, McCains birthday party, and playing gee-tar with some other hick WHILE NEW ORLEANS IS SINKING AND PEOPLE ARE DYING.

Fuck how I HATE it when people [ busheep] ignore reality.

LoungeMachine
03-17-2006, 04:53 PM

He has a desk?

May I ask why?

Guitar Shark
03-17-2006, 04:54 PM
He has a desk?

May I ask why?

LMFAO....... you're killing me today Kip

Warham
03-17-2006, 04:59 PM
Controlling the weather has NOTHING to do with it, and you know that.

NASA
National Weather Service
Homeland Security
FEMA
His Staff

And you cannot excuse his going to fundraisers, McCains birthday party, and playing gee-tar with some other hick WHILE NEW ORLEANS IS SINKING AND PEOPLE ARE DYING.

Fuck how I HATE it when people [ busheep] ignore reality.

Yeah, and which one of those organizations you listed would have stopped a Cat-5 hurricane?

It's funny. People decide to move NEAR the coast knowing full well that a hurricane may in fact wipe out their home, but yet cry when they don't get any help when that does happen? People should be responsible for their decisions on where they live, and should realize the inherent dangers of living wherever it is they choose.

ODShowtime
03-17-2006, 05:01 PM

I didn't say that either. Jesus H Christ. It took years of incompetence and corruption to get NO in the state it was.

Warham
03-17-2006, 05:02 PM
I didn't say that either. Jesus H Christ. It took years of incompetence and corruption to get NO in the state it was.

You mean like thirty years of incompetence by the Democrats that were in control down there?

Guitar Shark
03-17-2006, 05:04 PM
We get it, Warham. It's all the Democrats' fault. For everything.

Seriously, get a new record.

Warham
03-17-2006, 05:05 PM
I didn't say that, but it's time to start blaming somebody else other than Dubya.

I'm tired of reading how every problem in the world is Bush's fault.

I'm going to answer this broken record with my own broken record until it stops.

Get used to it.

Northern Girl
03-17-2006, 05:13 PM

NASA
National Weather Service
Homeland Security
FEMA
His Staff

Do you seriously believe that? :confused:

Guitar Shark
03-17-2006, 05:25 PM
Are you wearing panties? Nick wants to know.

EAT MY ASSHOLE
03-17-2006, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Guitar Shark

i'm soooo not getting anywhere near this one...

Nickdfresh
03-17-2006, 05:33 PM
Ahh, but you see, that massive spending is all part of the overall strategy and always has been.

"Eat My Asshole," I hear you ask, "Whatever do you mean?"

Glad you asked. When Bush firast took office there was a record amount of pork barrel spending in the public sector. Everybody had their hand out, and everybody got a piece.

Yeah. We exported our cash to Iraq, and jobs to India, and now we can fuck over American citizens better with your tax dollars.

Nickdfresh
03-17-2006, 05:35 PM

Stop cheating on FAB SHARK...

Northern Girl
03-17-2006, 05:39 PM
Nice! :rolleyes: Thanks, Sharky.

A girl sure learns a lot of lessons around here.

Warham
03-17-2006, 05:43 PM
::sigh::

FORD
03-17-2006, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Northern Girl
Do you seriously believe that? :confused:

Well, it's not that Chimpy actually had control over any of it. But according to the job the Supreme Court appointed him to, he was technically responsible for all of that.

LoungeMachine
03-17-2006, 05:50 PM

Fucking Beautiful !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jesus, I want that framed.

:cool:

Warham
03-17-2006, 05:52 PM
Fucking Beautiful !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jesus, I want that framed.

:cool:

So you can put it next to your poster of 'George W. Bush as Adolph Hitler'?

;)

LoungeMachine
03-17-2006, 05:53 PM
Yeah, and which one of those organizations you listed would have stopped a Cat-5 hurricane?

Okay, Simpleton......I'm going to dumb it down for you.

WE AREN'T SAYING BUSH COULD STOP THE CAT-5

WE ARE SAYING HE COULD HAVE MADE SURE MORE WAS DONE TO PREPARE AND ASSIST, AFTER ALL HE IS THE COMMANDER IN CHIEF

AND THUS, EVERYONE IS ACCOUNTABLE TO HIM, AND IN TURN HE IS ACCOUNTABLE TO US.

Not The Democrats for the last 30 years:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

LoungeMachine
03-17-2006, 05:54 PM
So you can put it next to your poster of 'George W. Bush as Adolph Hitler'?

;)

Don't have the poster, only the coffee mug ;)

Guitar Shark
03-17-2006, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Northern Girl
Nice! :rolleyes: Thanks, Sharky.

A girl sure learns a lot of lessons around here.

Well, that went completely over my head...

It was a playful jab at Nick, not you NG. Sorry if you took it the wrong way!

jhale667
03-17-2006, 05:56 PM

Man, if I hadn't just put the Ally "cunt-quote" in my sig, that would SO be in there!! :lol:

Angel
03-17-2006, 05:57 PM
Yeah. We exported our cash to Iraq, and jobs to India, and now we can fuck over American citizens better with your tax dollars.

Not to worry, citizens from other countries will come take care of the people that the government won't. That's why I'm going... Somebody has to do it, and it's obvious the American public aint too interested... :rolleyes:

Warham
03-17-2006, 05:59 PM
Lounge, stop acting as if history started Jan 20, 2001.

Please, you'll be better off for it in the long run.

blueturk
03-17-2006, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by FORD
If it's magnetic. Like all those fucking ribbon things.

Bingo! The only drawback is that if I'm parked somewhere and leave it on, one of the really "brave" sheep might try to pull it off and find out it's magnetic. Then it would be a goner. Maybe I need to buy another one just in case.

LoungeMachine
03-17-2006, 06:16 PM

History? No.

The decline of this nation into where it is now? Yes.

29% polled feel we are headed in the right direction.

You must be one of those 29%

FORD
03-17-2006, 06:19 PM

No history didn't start on that day. Just fascism :(

blueturk
03-17-2006, 06:20 PM
History? No.

Only half of the time!

EAT MY ASSHOLE
03-17-2006, 06:23 PM
Okay, Simpleton......I'm going to dumb it down for you.

WE AREN'T SAYING BUSH COULD STOP THE CAT-5

WE ARE SAYING HE COULD HAVE MADE SURE MORE WAS DONE TO PREPARE AND ASSIST, AFTER ALL HE IS THE COMMANDER IN CHIEF

AND THUS, EVERYONE IS ACCOUNTABLE TO HIM, AND IN TURN HE IS ACCOUNTABLE TO US.

Not The Democrats for the last 30 years:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

But he couldn't have. At that point, it was on the state level, and FEMA. Ad, as it turned out, Michael Brown WAS doing a heckuva job.

LoungeMachine
03-17-2006, 06:24 PM
Only half of the time!

:lol:

The many moods of Warham

* A takeoff on the album entitled "The Many Moods Of Murry Wilson

LoungeMachine
03-17-2006, 06:25 PM
But he couldn't have. At that point, it was on the state level, and FEMA. Ad, as it turned out, Michael Brown WAS doing a heckuva job.

I'm trying to imagine you typing this with a straight face :D

EAT MY ASSHOLE
03-17-2006, 06:27 PM
I'm trying to imagine you typing this with a straight face :D

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHJAHAHAHA HHAHA

iT WASN'T FUCKIN' EASY!!!

Awwww, who am I kidding??? I was LAUGHING MY GODDAMN MOTHERFUCKING BALLS OFF!!!!

EAT MY ASSHOLE
03-17-2006, 06:29 PM
No history didn't start on that day. Just fascism :(

What was Jan 20, 2001? The day FROD got his mod-ship?

Warham
03-17-2006, 06:31 PM
:lol:

The many moods of Warham

* A takeoff on the album entitled "The Many Moods Of Murry Wilson

The Many Moods Of Warham Wilson.

'Sure to sell a million copies by January!'

FORD
03-17-2006, 06:32 PM

No, it was the day that the LOSER of a presidential election took the oath of office.

And then violated that oath every day since.

Warham

The day Bush was inaugurated. It's also the day that history starts for most liberals on this forum.

LoungeMachine

Actually it went to the Supreme Court first......

Thomas, picking a fresh pube from his coke can wrote the opinion that FORD, although not having the majority of votes, should indeed be installed as Commander In Mod

And Tom Daschle said we must accept it. ;)

Guitar Shark
03-17-2006, 06:34 PM
Thomas, picking a fresh pube from his coke can

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

LoungeMachine
03-17-2006, 06:34 PM
The day Bush was inaugurated. It's also the day that history starts for most liberals on this forum.

To hear you talk, history STOPPED with Bubba leaving.....

EAT MY ASSHOLE
03-17-2006, 07:00 PM
No, it was the day that the LOSER of a presidential election took the oath of office.

Oh, Christ, if you think I didn't know that, and wasn't just taking the opportunity to make a joke at your expense...

ODShowtime
03-17-2006, 07:03 PM
History? No.

Gee, and I thought gw had a mandate...:rolleyes:

I know Karl Rove has mandates... hehe

ODShowtime
03-17-2006, 07:04 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHJAHAHAHA HHAHA

iT WASN'T FUCKIN' EASY!!!

Awwww, who am I kidding??? I was LAUGHING MY GODDAMN MOTHERFUCKING BALLS OFF!!!!

Well, at least someone is enjoying your nonsense.

Cathedral
03-18-2006, 12:35 AM
Gee, and I thought gw had a mandate...:rolleyes:

I know Karl Rove has mandates... hehe

Oh, Snap Dragon, Chinese Curl....you left a speed knot on KKKarl's head with that jab.

I never did like that guy, he just looks fruity and should just shave the damn head at this point.

He's like a live action Homer Simpson figure.

DOH!

ODShowtime
03-18-2006, 01:20 PM

He's like a live action Homer Simpson figure.

DOH!

hmm, there is a resemblence...

BigBadBrian
03-19-2006, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Angel
Not to worry, citizens from other countries will come take care of the people that the government won't. That's why I'm going... Somebody has to do it, and it's obvious the American public aint too interested... :rolleyes:

Angel, you're just a disgusting twat.

You have NO IDEA of the sacrifice the citizens of this nation has done in the past, and are still doing, for that region.

So you send a few of your Boy Scouts down there...BFD.

Begone, you smelly cunt! :mad: :cool: