PDA

View Full Version : BASS tone help

DeadOrAlive
03-16-2006, 01:20 AM
Ok... I'm back for more help on tones. This time it's for a Bass. But I need some help with the tone. I dig the 80's hair metal tone (Specifically Duff McKagan of GN'R) and I dig the old school punk rock tone (Dead Boys, Sex Pistols, you get the idea). What gear is useful for these tones?

Thanks for the help!

ELVIS
03-16-2006, 02:46 AM
I think "hair metal tone" is an oxymoron...

vheddyrmv8
03-16-2006, 08:21 AM
What are you playing on?

Matt White
03-16-2006, 08:36 AM
I'm thinking active pickups are a good place to start...

put some EMGs in your bass....

vheddyrmv8
03-16-2006, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Matt White
I'm thinking active pickups are a good place to start...

put some EMGs in your bass....

Yes they are, most ibanez GSRs have active electronics and a tone knowb that actually changes tone, and a bass boosting knob, plus it's only about 200 bucks. Very much worth it.

jackassrock
03-16-2006, 11:21 AM
I have to say that there isn't even a slight chance that Duff uses a $200 Ibanez.

In fact those dudes, from Duff to Sid to even Nikki Sixx use Fender Precision basses in the studio. Everyone has their favorite basses to play live, but when it comes to that punchy fat sound that you are talking about it's the P-bass just straight up through an Ampeg SVT (the tube head, not the new ones that mount in a rack).

lesfunk
03-16-2006, 12:07 PM
Use roundwound strings(stainless steel ) with a pick for a bright crunchy sound.
A little distortion can also help.

vheddyrmv8
03-16-2006, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by jackassrock
I have to say that there isn't even a slight chance that Duff uses a $200 Ibanez.

I didn't say he did, I was suggesting a good reliable bass with lots of options that is pretty cheap.

GAR
03-16-2006, 04:53 PM
Duff endorsed GallienKrueger and used a couple RB400 heads to start, they're small, really fucking cheap nowadays and the RB800 is more power with the same tone controls.

DeadOrAlive
03-16-2006, 11:54 PM
I've got a Fender Precision Bass with GHS Heavy Gauge Bass Boomers. Recently updated all the hardware (Nut, bridge, neck setup, even the frets, got a real bonus on it.) I updated it because it was a mexican made Precision, and the bridge rusted a little after a gig (gross man.) But yeah I'm edging more to the Duff tone. Thanks for the info GAR. Where do you think I could find those heads?

BrownSound1
03-17-2006, 01:37 AM
I've got an American Vintage Precision, and a '67 Jazz Bass...use a GK 800RB amp. Retrospec Squeeze Box tube compressor in front, and sometimes a Sadowski bass preamp. I actually prefer the Jazz Bass for most things, but my P-Bass can get in your face and peel the skin off. In fact it is probably just the tone you're looking for...unless you like Led Zeppelin and Rush...Jazz Bass on those two.

GK still makes the 400 and 800RB amps.

One last thing. The Ampeg SVT is probably the best bass amp in the world. Only bad thing about it is you have to take a second mortgage out on your house to retube the damn thing. It is also one heavy sumbitch, so eat your Wheaties.

DeadOrAlive
03-17-2006, 10:51 PM
HAHHAAHAHAH Thanks BrownSound. I do play some Zeppelin, no Rush at all though. More of the Punk/Hair Metal/Some Classic Rock stuff. So the P-Bass does the job. I'm going to check out the GK's tomorrow or sunday, see how they work out. Thanks again y'all.

Now what about that punk tone? Anything speacial to get that?

ELVIS
03-18-2006, 02:06 AM
No

manwiththedogs
04-07-2006, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by jackassrock
but when it comes to that punchy fat sound that you are talking about it's the P-bass just straight up through an Ampeg SVT
:rockit2:

Originally posted by GAR
Duff endorsed GallienKrueger and used a couple RB400 heads to start, they're small, really fucking cheap nowadays and the RB800 is more power with the same tone controls.

Yep. And a good chorus pedal+ Rotosound roundwounds will help.

Originally posted by DeadOrAlive

Volume at 11, no mid`s, use a pick and hit the strings really, really hard...lol

guwapo_rocker
04-07-2006, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by DeadOrAlive

Heroin.....

DeadOrAlive
04-08-2006, 02:11 AM
Sweet. Yeah the chorus gives it away, along with the GK amps and heads. The punk stuff, I just crank up the shape... And heroin will help out also.

Thanks guys

ashstralia
04-08-2006, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by BrownSound1
I actually prefer the Jazz Bass for most things, but my P-Bass can get in your face and peel the skin off. In fact it is probably just the tone you're looking for...unless you like Led Zeppelin and Rush...Jazz Bass on those two.

there you have it.

i've got an early '80's japanese j bass with emg's.
it's been on plenty of cd's. and, as a handy sideline,
i hire it out for beer!
;)

Nitro Express
04-08-2006, 03:30 PM
I love the Precission bass for in you face bass playing. Sting got his best bass sound with one. You have to love the sound Michael Anthony was getting with a P-Bass and tube Ampegs on Van Halen II. Listen to Light Up the Sky.

I have small hands so the P-Bass neck is a little big for my. I built my own bass from Warmoth parts. I put a Jazz bass neck into a Precission bass body and then just used original Fender hardware and pickups. It sounds and plays deliciouse. Geting the truss rod adjusted the way I like it was a bitch though.

If you want a good solid state sound, I would have to agree with GAR. Galien Kruegar amps get a great rock bass tone.

guwapo_rocker
04-08-2006, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by ashstralia
and, as a handy sideline,
i hire it out for beer!
;)

Now that fucking rocks!!!