• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • frets5150
    Commando
    • Feb 2004

Jessica Simpson Snubs Bush

Jessica Simpson Snubs Bush

LOS ANGELES (March 15) - Concerned about politicizing her favorite charity, singer-actress Jessica Simpson Wednesday turned down a invitation to meet with President Bush, a snub that left Republicans dismayed.
    The apparent final word that Simpson would be a no-show at a major Republican fund-raiser with Bush and congressional leaders Thursday night came after a day of conflicting reports from her camp and organizers of the event.

The blond star of the film "The Dukes of Hazzard" still plans to visit Washington Thursday to lobby members of Congress on behalf of Operation Smile, a non-profit venture offering free plastic surgery for disadvantaged children overseas with facial deformities.

People close to Simpson said she declined a request to appear that same evening at the gala fund-raiser of the National Republican Congressional Committee -- even after she was offered some private face time with Bush -- because Operation Smile is a non-partisan group.

"It just feels wrong," one Simpson insider told Reuters Wednesday, adding that the actress keeps her political views private. "She would love to meet the president and talk about Operation Smile ... but she can't do it at a fund-raiser for the Republican Party."

NRCC spokesman Carl Forti said he was surprised at Simpson's position.

"It's never been a problem for Bono," he said, referring to the U2 rock star who has met regularly with political leaders of all stripes to promote various causes, including Third World debt relief. "I find it hard to believe she would pass up an opportunity to lobby the president on behalf of Operation Smile."

Although Simpson's publicists insisted she never had planned to attend the fund-raiser, Forti said the actress initially accepted the NRCC invitation when it was extended on Tuesday night, only to change her mind the next evening.

Forti said the Republican group had even arranged for Simpson to dine at one of the head tables with House Majority Leader John Boehner, an Ohio Republican. The NRCC hopes the $2,500-per-plate dinner event will raise $7.5 million for Republican candidates in the congressional midterm elections in November.

Simpson, 25, a Texas native who started out singing in her church choir, became a star on the Christian music circuit as a teenager and crossed over to the pop mainstream with her major-label debut album "Sweet Kisses" in 1999.

She became an overnight MTV sensation in 2003 as co-star of a reality show chronicling her first year of wedlock with fellow pop vocalist Nick Lachey, but she filed for divorce in December after three stormy years of marriage. Simpson is currently featured wearing cowboy boots and hot pants in a TV pizza ad.

03/15/06 22:09 ET

She's not a Dummy after all.
  • Satan
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    • Jan 2004

So she IS a little smarter than Titney? :confused:
    Eternally Under the Authority of Satan

Originally posted by Sockfucker
    I've been in several mental institutions but not in Bakersfield.

Comment

• ODShowtime
      ROCKSTAR

• Jun 2004

I wonder who explained all this to her?
      gnaw on it

Comment

• Steve Savicki
        Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

What's this charity?
        sigpic

Comment

• Satan
          ROTH ARMY ELITE
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Steve Savicki
          What's this charity?
          Every year, Operation Smile helps thousands more children living with cleft lip and cleft palate to better breathe, eat, speak and live lives of greater confidence.

They arrange for disadvantaged children to have corrective facial surgery to fix birth defects such as cleft palate, cleft lip, etc.

Seems like a worthy enough cause. It's not merely cosmetic surgery either. Cleft palates can interfere with breathing or the ability to properly eat solid food, and dental surgery is often part of the deal, as the teeth often grow in wrong.

Here's a before and after pic of a child who had the surgery........

You can see the dramatic improvement in the kid's facial structure. From the looks of it, he might need some dental work, but the picture shows what they can do.

The Devil's no Jessica Simpson fan, but if she can help this worthy cause, more infernal power to her.

Comment

• ULTRAMAN VH
            Commando
            • May 2004

I think it is a great cause, but what about the disadvantaged children here in America????

Comment

• bueno bob
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by ULTRAMAN VH
              I think it is a great cause, but what about the disadvantaged children here in America????
              Fuck Americans. There's an agenda to be met.

Who cares who needs help locally?

Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• bueno bob
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jul 2004

It's too bad Jessie's not going though...could you imagine her and Bush trading off answers in an interview?

It'd have been fucking wonderful...
                Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Jessica Simpson looks very much like a cousin of mine that I wanted to fuck. Not to sound like Jethro but hey, what man wouldn't.
                  No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Satan
                    ROTH ARMY ELITE
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                    Jessica Simpson looks very much like a cousin of mine that I wanted to fuck. Not to sound like Jethro but hey, what man wouldn't.
                    Richard Simmons
                    Elton John
                    Gary Cherone
                    Joe Thunder
                    Karl Rove

Just to name a few.....

Comment

• Bill Lumbergh
                      ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2004

Oh, I thought this was about something else...........

Comment

• Cathedral
                        ROTH ARMY ELITE
                        • Jan 2004

Yet another example of how hypocritical you liberals can be.
                        One day she's the butt of your jokes and the next you're embracing her as being smarter because she had a conflict of interest with a fundraiser.

I guess you all missed (or it wasn't reported) how she was honored to be invited and would love to meet President Bush, just not at a fundraiser.

She is admittedly Republican, and she voted for Bush...Let's try and NOT read more into this than there really is.

She keeps her political views private, like a good little celebrity should.

Ya know, it really is sad how you all let hatred motivate you.
                        You attack anyone who supports Bush and would praise even your worst enemy if they shared that same hatred.

Your not a Political Party...You're a Cult.

Comment

• Warham
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Mar 2004

Their seething hatred puts them over the edge, Cat.

Comment

• BigBadBrian
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Cathedral
                            Yet another example of how hypocritical you liberals can be.
                            One day she's the butt of your jokes and the next you're embracing her as being smarter because she had a conflict of interest with a fundraiser.

I guess you all missed (or it wasn't reported) how she was honored to be invited and would love to meet President Bush, just not at a fundraiser.

She is admittedly Republican, and she voted for Bush...Let's try and NOT read more into this than there really is.

She keeps her political views private, like a good little celebrity should.

Ya know, it really is sad how you all let hatred motivate you.
                            You attack anyone who supports Bush and would praise even your worst enemy if they shared that same hatred.

Your not a Political Party...You're a Cult.
                            Good post, Cat.

I read the DU once in awhile, and they have people over their that actually "ban" celebrities for their political views. Free Republic does the same. (Banning = not purchasing their work) Stupid. I'll criticize someone else's views along with the next guy, but if I want to see a movie, I don't care about the political views of the people who act in it.

“If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• Warham
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Mar 2004

Luckily, most of my favorite entertainers are Republican.

Comment

Working...