PDA

View Full Version : Full New Michael Anthony Interview

Full Bug
03-17-2006, 09:39 AM
VAN HALEN Bassist On Status Of Band - "We're On Temporary Hiatus That Possibly Could Become Permanent"
2006-03-17 08:51:27

Burrn! Magazine, published in Japan, is famous for their worldwide exclusive interviews. VAN HALEN bassist Michael Anthony was interviewed by John "Shooter" Harrell in February 2006 for the April issue, which is out now. Melodicrock.com has posted the following "rough" translation of the interview.

Michael Anthony comments on the following...

The Van Halen 2004 reunion tour:
"Well in general the reunion tour was great because it had been since 1998 that we played as Van Halen anywhere and it doesn't take very long for me after we finish a tour, it only takes a matter of weeks before I'm ready to get up and play in front of people again. So in that respect it was great getting out there and playing again and you know it's like when everybody got back together again, from outward appearances everything seemed fine but we had a few bumps because old things came back up again from time to time on the road between Sammy (Hagar) and Eddie (Van Halen) so it was a little bit shaky. Actually the tour didn't end with as much fanfare as I would have liked it to or hoped it would but we got through it."

On the new business arrangements within the band for the 2004 re-union:
"I was not going to just sit home and do nothing and that kind of upset the Van Halen brothers for whatever reason I can't understand myself. But basically when this whole reunion thing started Ed really didn't want me to be part of it. I don't know how he was going to call it a reunion (laughs) but I basically had to work out a deal with Irving Azoff's management company in order to be part of this thing. I kind of sucked it up a bit and I made less money but the way I looked at it was, if this possibly was the last tour that Van Halen would ever do then I'd be kicking myself because I wasn't a part of it and I want to be a part of it, even more so than the money so I sucked it all up and came on and did it. I did it for the fans."

On being nicknamed 'Cannonmouth' for his distinct backing vocals:
"They use to call me that in the early days. Basically Eddie's and my voice were actually I think pretty much as signature as Eddie's playing or anything else as far as the sound we had and it's kind of been that way all the way up through the years. Unfortunately though when we did the Van Halen 3 record with Gary Cherone, Ed wanted to sing more and so he sang a lot more of the backgrounds with Gary and I sang a lot less and there was a lot of negative feedback about that."

A making the re-union happen and attempts previously with David Lee Roth:
"I used to needle Sam a bit and say hey, it'd be great (getting back together). We tried to make this thing work with Roth three times and each time it was even worse than the time before. We tried to do a new album with him and his ego just wouldn't let it happen and the third time that we tried to do it with him was more like, let's see if we can just play some dates and just get along with him and he still for some reason couldn't humble himself enough to just being one of the guys again here.
Sammy was out here at a relative's wedding I think staying down at the beach and he actually called Al. So Al went down and met with him and they hung out for the whole day and got along great and at that point then it was just kind of like well, let's see what we can do as far as putting Sam and Ed back together. I knew that Al (Alex Van Halen) wanted to get out and play again too because he basically had done nothing because the only person that he plays with is Ed. He doesn't get out and jam with anybody else. So one thing led to another and then (laughs) there was my involvement. You know, I'm the guy who kind of helped put this thing together and then Ed didn't even want me to be a part of it (laughs). I thought it was kind of funny."

And on the 2004 tour and tensions within the band:
"We got along great. Obviously there was tension between the brothers, basically Ed and Sammy's tequila thing because he was never happy about that, the whole Cabo Wabo thing. And a lot of these arenas that we were playing in sold Cabo Wabo and even though that really had nothing to do with Sammy because he sells to people and then the buildings, the venues buys the stuff and Sammy doesn't sell to them. So I think Ed would get a little put off when he'd see a lot of Cabo Wabo banners up around the arenas and sometimes that would even create some tension onstage and offstage. There were nights where you know you have that after the show flight on the jet and things would sometimes be a little tense on that plane and without getting into any great detail there came a point to where we actually split it up and we traveled on two different jets; Eddie and Al would fly on one jet and Sammy and I would fly on another. This was only to keep the peace and that sucks just like anything else that even turns into a big business you know, sports or anything. A lot of times you almost lose the reason in the first place of why you got into doing it you know, making music and getting laid (laughs) and it all turns into big business. It got to the point to where I couldn't even see this thing going on much longer without either somebody blowing up on somebody or whatever. So Sammy finally said, I'm not doing any more dates because this is just not working. When we first started out I was fully ready to do it because I thought we were going to go to Japan, Europe, South America, you know, do the thing that we should have done, like, big band reunites but unfortunately that wasn't going to be. [Ed] did not want Sammy doing any promoting of his stuff at all using the Van Halen name but a lot of that you don't have any control over. I came out with a hot sauce about the same time we were putting the tour together and the local radio station here in Los Angeles KLOS, they would talk about the tour and then they would talk about my hot sauce. Well the brothers caught wind of that and they thought that I had my people, as they would say "my people", calling the radio station and telling them to pump my hot sauce on Van Halen's dime here or whatever and they finally asked me to have my people "cease and desist", I remember that distinctly. But I didn't have a damn thing to do with that and I have no control over what the radio station said. In fact, gee isn't this one of the benefits that you're supposed to reap from all these years of success, that you can be able to go off and do something like that and promote something? They went on and they (the brothers) had their lawyers call every radio station that we were going to play at in every city and told them specifically they were not to mention Cabo Tequila or my Mad Anthony's Hot Sauce in the same sentence with Van Halen!"

On Eddie's son Wolfgang joining the band on tour:
"Oh it was great. I think he has grown up to be a great kid. I think he's a great player and he jumped up there on the drums a few times during sound check and shit the kid can play drums too you know!"

On recording/filming the tour for possible CD/DVD release:
Well we did video every night for the screens up onstage but no, there was no actual film crew or anything brought in.We had always talked about doing a thing and Sammy did his called The Long Road To Cabo and I was on a pretty major part of that.

JH: Oh is that the one where they left your ass at the hotel (laughs)?
"Yeah and as much as some people thought that we planned that out, they left me at the hotel and one of the camera guys just happened to be back that night because he wasn't going to the show and I called him up and told him to get his camera and his ass over here to my room, we've got to video all this because they have fuckin' left me here. But you know, that would have been great to have something like that happen with Van Halen you know; have the cameras following us around onstage, backstage, days off, whatever. Just witnessing the way that Sammy did it, it could have been huge if we did it because people love to see that kind of shit. AEROSMITH, everybody has done that kind of thing."

On Van Halen's failure to be nominated for the Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame:
"I would have thought that we would have been nominated, voted in and inducted the first year that we were eligible, which would have been like 3 years ago or something like that. But for whatever reasons they have, maybe a lot of the people that vote you in are looking at the drama that this band has gone through and figured well, they don't deserve it yet. I don't know, but that's the only thing that I can come up with. Other than that it's like I have no idea. But I tell you it would be one damn interesting show when they ask us to get together and play for the induction ceremony. I know Dave; he'll be there a week ahead of the show just waiting."

On the last time he saw David Lee Roth:
"It was when him and Sammy toured together, what is that, four years ago now? He would kind of pull his hat down and just walk by me because I tell you one of the first shows that I did with those guys I forget where we were at but I had a few drinks and I went into Dave's dressing room after the show and I just unloaded on him, on what was his problem that we could not make this reunion work? And all he kept saying was, you're right, you're right. I told him, look at them out there; when you go out there and this is the beginning of the tour and he actually impressed me at the beginning of the tour but as the tour went on boy by the last show they didn't even do the last show of the tour that I was out there because they couldn't do it; Dave just started pulling shenanigans left and right. Most nights Sammy and I would pound on his door and say come on out and numerous times invited him to come out onstage and do an encore, all three of us together but it never happened."

On recording a new album with Roth:
"We were going to do videos for the songs [on the Best Of Volume 1] and everything but Roth was really trying to take control and we finally just said, let's not even do the videos for these songs because he's going to kill the whole thing and so it fell apart.
But yeah, before that tour yeah, we tried to make it work. We went into the studio and it was kind of funny because we first got together in the studio and we were all in the one room together and we did Hot For Teacher, Mean Street and a few other songs and it's the weirdest thing because once we started playing it was like, son of a bitch, there it is, that's the magic! It was like a big déjà vu because it was the original band playing again and it sounded pretty fuckin' good too! But then of course the longer we spent in the studio, you know we had two or three different producers in there trying to work with us and Dave would just come in with tapes of the Chemical Brothers, all different kinds of weird stuff and say hey, let's do a song like this and Ed was having a hard time dealing with him, a real hard time dealing with him and Al was saying, well, let's do a couple of things that Roth likes to do and then let's just do our thing. I don't know if we had a complete album's worth of stuff but we were pretty damn close and unfortunately, there you go with Dave again and we just couldn't finish it and all those old reasons why he left the band in the first place they started surfacing you know. He went right back to his old ways. I mean even if you just wanted to look at it purely look at it from a money standpoint that guy was hurting for money. And it was like Dave, I mean he couldn't even put his ego aside if he wanted to go out and make $50 million and you know you've got a pretty large ego when you're going to give that all up even just because you don't get your way on something. I couldn't understand it."

On those new tunes:
"For the most part it was actually pretty good. I don't think Ed would ever let it out though. I've got some demo stuff at home, they didn't even really want me to take any stuff home but I ended up with some stuff at home anyway. I'd never do anything behind the other guys' backs with any of it so it'll just sit in my box in the archives and maybe one of my grandkids or grandkid's boyfriends will put something out one day (laughs) or steal it (laughs)."

On the Best Of Both Worlds Compilation and those three new songs:
"You know when we did the Best Of Both Worlds we had problems with Roth because of what he wanted and didn't want on the CD, how much he wanted to get paid and so on. So there was a point to where we were just going to say okay Dave, if that's the way you want it, we had some live versions of some of the old Van Halen songs and we were just going to tell Dave, okay if that's the way you want it we won't even put you on this record, you won't make a dime off it! I mean he was being difficult on that thing and what we wanted to do was the one disc with Sammy and the other disc with Dave plus the three new songs and Dave was even making that difficult but in the end he folded. I think he was just trying to pull a power play. Bad stuff (laughs). I knew that we weren't going to do a whole new album with Sammy on this reunion thing. The time that it was taking in the studio to do these three songs it would have taken us a couple of years to do an entire album. And like I said, once it started to get put together Irving Azoff really pushed it, speeded us along to get us out there and so it just turned out to be well, let's just do these three songs. And to tell you the truth and I'll say this for the record: I didn't play bass on any of those three songs on there. I wasn't even in the band yet when those three songs were done. I came aboard and I sang backgrounds on them but the music was already done and I wasn't even back in the band as far as the reunion part of it yet when the music was done. So that was kind of tough for me but it's like hey, it is what it is and I don't think Ed really talked about it much but if anybody asks me I'm not embarrassed to say that I didn't play bass on them because I wasn't part of the band at that point."

On the difference between Roth and Hagar:
"There was magic with both of them. Once Hagar joined the band he brought a new level of musicianship to the band and like Eddie always use to say, he could play anything that he wanted now because Sammy could sing anything. He (Sammy) definitely had a better range. When Sammy joined the band that's when I really had to start working on the backgrounds; the background vocals were a little bit more, uh, not tougher but with Dave there was never any problem singing backgrounds because he didn't have a huge range like Sammy did.
I think and there was still magic with Dave too because I mean a lot that we did back then was really cutting edge from Ed's guitar playing to all these little clones that Dave spawned...they were all there because all these guys wanted to be him."

On the new side-band THE OTHER HALF:
"This stems from the fact that the Van Halen brothers, namely Ed, do not want to go out and play Van Halen right now or anytime soon. Sammy and I last year on his birthday decided one night that we were going to play because normally it's Sammy's band that plays and I get up there and jam with him and we do some Van Halen stuff and it's all fine. But last year we decided one night that the whole show will be nothing but Van Halen; I'm going to get up there, Sammy and his guitarist Vic Johnson and drummer Dave Lauser and we're going to do a Van Halen set. And somehow we came up with this thing calling us The Other Half and the show came off, I mean people loved it! And it came off so great that we started thinking well God, and I go on the Internet everyday and I'm checking out what fans are saying and try to keep in touch with what's going on as much as I can with our fan base and people do want to hear the music. There were a lot of great comments that came from us doing that thing down there and we were like, hey you know, we want to go out and we want to play the stuff and the fans want to hear it. So we're going to go out this summer, we're putting together the thing that we're calling The Other Half and we're going to play Van Halen and do it right, do a nice production and not me just jamming with his band; you know, we're going to go and play it and the only reason is because the brothers aren't wanting to go out and play it for the fans. Now if they want to come out and play, they're invited! If they want to come out and do it and do Van Halen and do it the right way and have fun, let's go, let's do it, I'm ready right now. But the interest is really there and Sammy and I want to go out and we want to play these songs. The Wabos will open the show and we're going to put together a good production, the lights, sound, everything will all be put together really nice and we will play all Van Halen material. Right now we're actually talking about me opening up the set with my solo and if we do that then we'll probably have to go into Runnin' With The Devil or something and I'll sing that. So we'll do a little bit more classic Van Halen, I'm digging right now to see if we can pull a couple of more obscure ones out of the hat and I'm going to sing them so I'll be doing more lead vocals, which is great."

On the current status of Van Halen:
"Well never say never but we're currently in a state of limbo. After the reunion tour ended so abruptly we all went into our own corners and truthfully Ed doesn't want to tour right now or maybe ever again. I don't know what he's thinking at this point. So I would say that we're on a temporary hiatus that possibly could become permanent, you never know. With that said I realize that's not much of an answer but that's really where things are right now and tomorrow it could all change again."

Sleeper Cell
03-17-2006, 09:56 AM
Great interview...Thanks!

Big Troubles
03-17-2006, 10:01 AM
I now believe Dave has to put his ego aside for the band, the fans and for the reunion he wants so badly. I know you dont want to change Dave, but $50 million dude?

And I guess Dave was hurting for cash? We were SO fucking close to a reunion. Every member of that band has to ask themselves what they REALLY want to do. And then DO IT!

DavidLeeNatra
03-17-2006, 10:09 AM
wow...great read...bass player...maybe he becomes a real man one day....

Hardrock69
03-17-2006, 10:12 AM
Fucking Deadward....that egotistical cocksucker.....

He did not even want the bass player to be the bass player any more.

What kind of pompous fucktard has he become?

Christ....

Why don't those fuking idiots just make a big aonnouncement that "Van Halen" is history?

Put an official end to it.

LMFAO!!!

So now Spam and the bass player are going to go out and perform Van Halen material, because Deadward and Alex Wifeybeat can't get off their lazy motherfucking asses and go out and tour.

There can be no CVH reunion.

That much is evident.

They need to do some official DVD releases of CVH concerts and let the VH name just die.

However, they are so fucking stupid about it that the legacy of Van Halen's name will be that of an arrogant asshole who should be gratefule to his fans for giving him his mansion, his Ferraris, his guitars, his actress wife and EVEN HIS FUCKING SON!!!!

Wolfgang should thank Ed's fans, as if it were not for the success of Van Halen, Wolfy would not even be alive!

I think the only way for this to end is for Ed to smoke so much meth he has a heart attack and dies....

He won't end it, so substance abuse or alcoholism is the only way to end Van Halen.

Ed is a pathetic excuse for a "successful Rock Musician".

:mad:

And no, Uncle Dave is not "innocent as the driven snow" in this.

He needs to get down on his fucking knees and beg the Sistahs and the bass player to be allowed to do a reunion tour.

His ego is just as big as Deadward's.

If they did a reunion tour, why couldn't they just call it "The Egomaniacal Power Trip"?

:rolleyes:

Brett
03-17-2006, 11:03 AM
Oh please Dave's as big a prick as Ed according to this interview. Fuck both of them.

I guess you guys can forget any reunion thing ever, the band is pretty much a done deal forever, in any form.

amadeus
03-17-2006, 11:10 AM
I agree with Hardrock69 - just tell us it's over!!! This hanging on crap is getting pretty old. If anything, put out some old unreleased CVH cds and dvds and let the fans eat it up. You know there has to be tons of material that hasn't seen the light of day and would do well if it was released - I don't get why Eddie is even holding this back from the fans.

Big Troubles
03-17-2006, 11:21 AM
I agree with Brett on this one. Bot Dave and Ed are the ones fucking things up. Ed's greed and Daves ego. The bass player has always been an easy target, but really, the only thing I dont like about him is his "twirling on his back, wearing a cape breakdance" when doing his solo. As for Al, I believe Mike when he said Al is anxious to just do some work, whether they do some of Dave's "new" radical stuff or just fucking play old classic shit.

Dave needs a reality check and Edward needs to be told that he has enough money now and it is supposed to be about the fans that made them, not how much money they can make.

Big Troubles
03-17-2006, 11:21 AM
The ONLY way I see a reunion now, is if Dave folds in a bit and Edward gets some counselling.

Shaun Ponsonby
03-17-2006, 11:52 AM
You know what I think might work?

Remember that Motley Crue VH1 special where cameras followed them round whilst they were in the reuniting process? Well, the arguments between the band members were quite limited-I had the feeling they were playing down for the cameras. If cameras followed Van Halen round whilst they were in the process of reuniting, then Dave wouldn't want to come across as overly egotistical and Ed wouldn't want to come across as the world's biggest dick, so they would probably tone it down-this way, the reunion might work (of course cameras would have to be round them all the time, but that could all be an extra on a DVD).

Redballjets88
03-17-2006, 12:10 PM
thats retarded, of course dave is going to be worried about money...wasnt he the guy that was fucked over by the van halens and the bass player before. if i was dave i would have done the same thing. its also stupid how they say "Dave's ego" because he brought in chemical bros., its not ego its him wanting to put a new spin on vh music, but the sisters are too set in their ways to do anything.

all i know is that IF there is ever a reunion i hope they come to my city at the beginning because i know if its near the end the show will suck, or just be cancelled

NathanRay
03-17-2006, 12:21 PM
"There was magic with both of them. Once Hagar joined the band he brought a new level of musicianship to the band and like Eddie always use to say, he could play anything that he wanted now because Sammy could sing anything. He (Sammy) definitely had a better range.
I think and there was still magic with Dave too because I mean a lot that we did back then was really cutting edge from Ed's guitar playing to all these little clones that Dave spawned...they were all there because all these guys wanted to be him."

Exactly, ED's Playing Sucked Under Hagar. And Sammy could sing any note above the treble clef and gay it up.

"But then of course the longer we spent in the studio, you know we had two or three different producers in there trying to work with us and Dave would just come in with tapes of the Chemical Brothers, all different kinds of weird stuff and say hey, let's do a song like this and Ed was having a hard time dealing with him, a real hard time dealing with him and Al was saying, well, let's do a couple of things that Roth likes to do and then let's just do our thing."

I don't know maybe dave was trying to cut through the cheese. He is the man with the internal disco rythymn. Remember last time dave had his way with VH. I guess they didn't feel that the conflicts weren't worth creating the stuff they used to?

NathanRay
03-17-2006, 12:28 PM
Ed can't deal at all Did you see his gums on the red carpet???? I can only Imagine his liver??

Roy Munson
03-17-2006, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Brett
Oh please Dave's as big a prick as Ed according to this interview. Fuck both of them.

I guess you guys can forget any reunion thing ever, the band is pretty much a done deal forever, in any form.

I believe you are correct.

:(

Vinnie Velvet
03-17-2006, 02:08 PM
I actually agree with some of this here.

Its pretty sad how close we all were to a full blown CVH reunion.

I would say that both Ed and Dave fucked things up.

But then you can't blame Dave after what happened in '96.

Full Bug
03-17-2006, 02:34 PM
"But I tell you it would be one damn interesting show when they ask us to get together and play for the induction ceremony. I know Dave; he'll be there a week ahead of the show just waiting."

Thats a funny comment, and likely true, lol....

Matt White
03-17-2006, 02:44 PM
THis is exactly why I went to see DAVE last summer....

EVH is too screwed up to do ANYTHING.....

Warham
03-17-2006, 03:19 PM
It's both Dave and Eddie's fault. The Bass Player's® just caught in the middle.

Dave is just too damned controlling, and Eddie is just too damn drunk most of the time for them to ever come to any sort of agreement.

tjvhou812
03-17-2006, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Big Troubles

Dave needs a reality check and Edward needs to be told that he has enough money now and it is supposed to be about the fans that made them, not how much money they can make.

Well said

DlocRoth
03-17-2006, 04:09 PM
Aint that a bitch.....

amadeus
03-17-2006, 04:13 PM
Check this out from the links!!!

Do you really care about us fans? I know we dont know what's going on, only all the stuff from the web..frustrating, idnt it?
There's one way and one way only that you can salvage your fans..and dont go resting on your laurels and place in history..history works from most recent to earliest, so it will end up as ""The fucking whack-job asshole who fucked himself and his band by silly pride, who happened to be the greatest guitarist who ever lived..."

Or it could end up as "The gift of music was never given as freely and amazingly as it was with Mr. Edward VanHalen, the greatest guitarist who ever lived"

If you care at all about the fans, then it must be the latter and the only way to do that is to suck it up, let it go and play music for us..that's why you are here.if its just you, al and two others, so be it, but that wont get the history part done. If you care about that at all, which i dont think you do, you should at the least do a reunion finale w/ DLR.

Otherwise Ed, do all of us lifelong fans one final favor and TELL US YOU ARE RETIR[SIZE=3][SIZE=3]

Vinnie Velvet
03-17-2006, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by amadeus
Check this out from the links!!!

Do you really care about us fans? I know we dont know what's going on, only all the stuff from the web..frustrating, idnt it?
There's one way and one way only that you can salvage your fans..and dont go resting on your laurels and place in history..history works from most recent to earliest, so it will end up as ""The fucking whack-job asshole who fucked himself and his band by silly pride, who happened to be the greatest guitarist who ever lived..."

Or it could end up as "The gift of music was never given as freely and amazingly as it was with Mr. Edward VanHalen, the greatest guitarist who ever lived"

If you care at all about the fans, then it must be the latter and the only way to do that is to suck it up, let it go and play music for us..that's why you are here.if its just you, al and two others, so be it, but that wont get the history part done. If you care about that at all, which i dont think you do, you should at the least do a reunion finale w/ DLR.

Otherwise Ed, do all of us lifelong fans one final favor and TELL US YOU ARE RETIR[SIZE=3][SIZE=3]

That's great.

I just checked this out at Links.

They've got a 'rant' thread going on over there (to ed and al).

Baby's On Fire
03-17-2006, 05:15 PM
I now believe Dave has to put his ego aside for the band, the fans and for the reunion he wants so badly. I know you dont want to change Dave, but $50 million dude?

And I guess Dave was hurting for cash? We were SO fucking close to a reunion. Every member of that band has to ask themselves what they REALLY want to do. And then DO IT!

Don't believe anything the fat little bass player says.......remember he was one of them fucking dave on his royalties.

yeah.....it's all Dave's fault as fucking usual :rolleyes:

Lloyd Anger
03-17-2006, 05:55 PM
Thanks Full Bug for the release. I'm very sad and and very bummed by this whole thing. I feel empty and incomplete.

I love Dave. I love Eddie. I love the music they have given us. The greatest, bar none.

End of story? Who knows.

Who's choice? Who knows.

Will either make a move? Who knows.

Dave, you are KING! Can you make it happen?

I need a ('nother) drink.

Big Troubles
03-17-2006, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by Baby's On Fire
Don't believe anything the fat little bass player says.......remember he was one of them fucking dave on his royalties.

yeah.....it's all Dave's fault as fucking usual :rolleyes:

no I didn't say it was all Daves fault... In fact.

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=883985#post883985

BrownSound1
03-17-2006, 07:23 PM
I think Dave was trying to flex some muscle after being fucked in the ass in '96. I think it is funny that Mike went into Dave's dressing room and Dave agreed with what he was saying in regards to his ego. Perhaps Dave will lose some ego, and Ed will cut back on the alcohol. I doubt it, but I always hold out hope.

Dave's PA Rental
03-17-2006, 07:26 PM
Great get, Bug...did you have to translate that from Japanese? (holey run-on-sentences, Batman...)

Couple things...Mike Anthony is a dude caught in the middle...most of you people who bash him AND EDDIE'S BROTHER would be first in line to sing their praises if/when they get back with Dave. That's one thing ive NEVER understood from alot of the 'regulars' at this site (notice I didnt say 'old-timers')...you bash Mike and Al...dont tell me you wouldnt fall back in love with them if Dave comes-a-callin...

Next, EVERYONE associated with that band is at fault here...maybe some more than others, but it's such a shame...that part where Mike describes the vibe of them playing together again made me almost cry.

So close....so close.

Full Bug
03-17-2006, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Dave's PA Rental
Great get, Bug...did you have to translate that from Japanese?
I had Cato translate it for me....;) :D

ULTRAMAN VH
03-17-2006, 08:09 PM
Lets be real folks, we all want The Diamond One back in VH, but after 21 long years and 3 failed attempts in the past, it probably is not going to happen. Lets hope WB releases some DLR era boxsets before were to old to enjoy them. It is obvious both camps are more concerned with their ego's than us fans. I am amazed that Al was the one being diplomatic in the studio, agreeing to let Dave do his thing and the rest of the band theirs on the new cd.

fenway5150
03-17-2006, 08:14 PM
What a fucking pathetic situation that band is in right now. It's a go nowhere project that keeps collecting dust with every passing day.

POJO_Risin
03-17-2006, 08:29 PM
Many thoughts on this...

1. To me...this is old news...pretty much everything I expected. I WOULD fucking LOVE to hear the Dave deal with VH...and all the other stuff...loved hearing Anthony talking about the magic coming right back when they played the old tunes.

2. As I've said many fucking times...it takes two to tango...and both these fuckers have numerous issues that are beyond each other. Personally, this shit is so fucking old...I can't believe that we are still talking about it...and still reading about it...

You never know...who will wake up on the right side of the bed 2 or 3 years from now...

of course...at that point...they'll be playing the Pointe' Von Ridaow festival in upstate whogivesafuckville...

Terry
03-17-2006, 11:35 PM
Why the fuck is it that the Van Halens and now Anthony always have to blather something about Dave not being humble enough for their tastes, and his ego being too overwhelming for a reunion to happen?

They must have forgotten that it was Roth's ego and lack of humility that helped get CVH noticed in the first place ("Why be humble? You're not that good.").

This is just lame code phrases for "Dave isn't going to kiss our asses to get back into the band".

If Anthony and the sisters were smart, they'd be kissing Dave's ass about now. I don't want a meek Roth being treated like some sort of supplicant by the Van Halens to make a reunion happen.

Fucking cunts.

degüello
03-17-2006, 11:41 PM
All that shit just bums me right the fuck out. The image of Dave bringing in music to the sessions, trying to get things going, the brothers hating it... just makes me fucking sad.

And the shit about making MA a lesser-paid employee, just fucking ridiculous.

Arrgghh...

degüello
03-17-2006, 11:42 PM
On a side note, the "Other Half" thing with MA and Hagar is just goddamn pathetic.

Halen High
03-18-2006, 02:01 AM
Despite this story I still have hopes for a CVH reunion! I’m not giving up yet.

A very interesting interview to say the least but lets keep Mike’s comments about Dave in perspective.

Mike is very much pro-Sammy Hagar. Always has been. They are the best of friends and obviously Mike relates to Sammy a lot more than he ever did with Dave who is a very different personality. So it’s predictable that Mike lays most of the blame on Dave for the CVH reunion not happening.

When Mike states Dave’s ‘ego just wouldn’t let it happen’, he is probably talking about Dave’s reluctance to be subservient to Eddie and Alex, as either a contributor to the song writing process, the design of the band’s videos and imagery, or financially. Remember Eddie’s comments at the time about everything looking pretty positive about getting back together until the lawyers got involved? I just think the brothers weren’t prepared to let Dave come back as an equal, which Mike can’t understand. Mike might be prepared to be a hired gun but Dave won’t. That’s because Dave puts a significantly greater value on himself.

And after what happened in 1996 I highly doubt Dave got together with the brothers and Mike, and started acting like an egomaniac. That’s just ridiculous. He would have been desperate for it to work out.

I’m not saying Dave shouldn’t compromise in some areas. But how do we know he wasn’t prepared to do just that to at least a reasonable level? We really need to hear Dave’s perspective on all this because we are only getting a part of the story here.

And isn't it interesting that the brothers, and I presume Mike, can all get back together in the studio with Dave and record almost an entire CVH album, but with Sammy it's just three abysmal tracks, minus Mike, and it was never going to be anything more than that. It's pretty obvious the brothers had very little motivation for a Van Hagar reunion. Like I said at the time it was a 'reunion' born out of desperation. They never really wanted to do it and we could all see that in the lack of effort put into the whole thing.

DlocRoth
03-18-2006, 10:00 AM
Nice one, Halen High....

That's the point.

3 shitty songs taking forever with Hagar....

Almost an entire album?? with Dave that will never see the light of day.......

Idgits...all of em...

guwapo_rocker
03-18-2006, 11:06 AM
Thanks for that Bug.

DlocRoth
03-18-2006, 11:10 AM
Ed is afraid to be great again...

That's the problem.

PlexiBrown
03-18-2006, 12:06 PM
Eddie's addictions + Roth's ego = No VH reunion ever.

If Eddie stays on his current path and makes it to 55 years old I will be shocked.

It is bad enough when a band wastes time but this band has wasted decades. Who gets fucked........THE FANS!

My prediction is that Michael Anthony and Sammy Hagar will eventually get married.

Howlin' Wolf
03-18-2006, 12:13 PM
This Michael Anthony thread got me howlin' at the moon. Who cares what The Ox says about The Who? I want to hear the story from Roger and Pete. Maybe even Moon the Loon. But not Entwistle.

I can't believe that Mikey would 'tell off' Roth, either. And if Roth has such a huge ego--he just sat there and agreed with the bass player?

If you see me howlin', callin' on my dowlin'.

Dirty Duck
03-18-2006, 12:15 PM
I agree with Brett on this one. Bot Dave and Ed are the ones fucking things up. Ed's greed and Daves ego. The bass player has always been an easy target, but really, the only thing I dont like about him is his "twirling on his back, wearing a cape breakdance" when doing his solo. As for Al, I believe Mike when he said Al is anxious to just do some work, whether they do some of Dave's "new" radical stuff or just fucking play old classic shit.

...and I agree with Big Troubles. I have never had a problem with Mike Anthony...never. To be honest I think he's a fair guy. If what he say's is TRUE then Dave has got to get his fucking act together. The ego shit can be understandable at times...what fuckin' rock star doesnt have one? But enough is enough. Cut the shit and get your acts together guys. I'm not waiting until im in my 40's to see a reunion...
and i dont know about seeing these guys in their 60's eiether.

PlexiBrown
03-18-2006, 12:15 PM
I would sure like to hear that stuff they recorded with Roth.

PlexiBrown
03-18-2006, 12:30 PM
R.I.P. Van Halen. They blew it.

DavidLeeNatra
03-18-2006, 12:42 PM
I guess it's easier to bring peace to israel and palastine than to get dave and ed to work together...

Full Bug
03-18-2006, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by PlexiBrown

My prediction is that Michael Anthony and Sammy Hagar will eventually get married.

http://www.smileypad.com/v10/Cache/Personal/Romeo.gif

http://www.smileypad.com/v10/Cache/Happy/Grin-Nod.gif

DrMaddVibe
03-18-2006, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Terry
Why the fuck is it that the Van Halens and now Anthony always have to blather something about Dave not being humble enough for their tastes, and his ego being too overwhelming for a reunion to happen?

They must have forgotten that it was Roth's ego and lack of humility that helped get CVH noticed in the first place ("Why be humble? You're not that good.").

This is just lame code phrases for "Dave isn't going to kiss our asses to get back into the band".

If Anthony and the sisters were smart, they'd be kissing Dave's ass about now. I don't want a meek Roth being treated like some sort of supplicant by the Van Halens to make a reunion happen.

Fucking cunts.

YUP!

CVH isn't about who get the biggest pile of cash at the end of the tour.

bassplayer can talk all he wants, he has NOTHING constructive to say and is by his own omission a hired employee...not a founding member. He let them steamroll him into that role.

I want to see Dave reunite with the band, but I don't want to see Dave up there in jeans and flannel with a ball gag in his mouth inbetween songs.

I want the same old Dave that I've been paying for at his concerts...the high energy, joke cracking, Jack swilling, high jumping, scream yelling madman that puts the fun in Rock 'n' Roll.

The sisters and bassplayer represent the absolute worst example of corporate rock greed. They give nothing back to their fans and take all of their money. No new material, no new videos(like I'd buy or download anything that didn't have Roth in it to begin with!)or even an updated website...which Dave is guilty of too, BUT...he's there not sacrificing himself to be something that he's not. With Dave its not forced or contrived. How'd you like to have some audio of the sisters on their own jet after a show?

Face it everyone...we're not going to get what we deserve. EdWad is a shell of his past glory, Alice is a whore, bassplayer is nothing and Dave is well, still Dave. It is what it is, andnone of the "king's" horses or none of the "king's" men can put it back together again.

I'd love to take Ed to Napa Valley.;)

PlexiBrown
03-18-2006, 01:04 PM
http://www.jerseyhomeguide.com/vanhalen21.jpg

DrMaddVibe
03-18-2006, 01:07 PM
http://www.jerseyhomeguide.com/vanhalen21.jpg

5 Stars for that one!!!!

cjsand76
03-18-2006, 01:37 PM
Look, it was Eddie, Alex and Michael that completely humiliated Dave back in 1996. Who the hell was Michael to slam on Dave's dressing room door during the Sam and Dave tour about failing to reconcile? Mike, you humiliated him in front of the whole world back in '96!!! It was Eddie, Alex and Michael who cut Dave out of royalty deals. If you had a chance to read Sammy Hagar's memoirs about his final three years with Van Halen, you will find disturbing news about how the brothers treated Michael Anthony. After Dave left, they cut him out of royalties on albums and even refused to let him play on some of the recordings for their albums. Hagar said himself that Michael was nothing more than a salaried musician. It was absolutely horrible. I mean, look, if they can treat Michael Anthony the way they do after all the loyalty he has shown then you cannot blame Dave for going in with his ego blasting. Folks, it does not seem that Dave has much of a choice when dealing with the Van Halen brothers.

DavidLeeNatra
03-18-2006, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Brett

just the fact that bass player doesn't understand why dave acts the way he does, does not mean dave is a prick per se. what does mullet mikey know about "following your road", being consequent in what you do or stand for your deserved rights?

as much as you use any opportunity to bash dave, read again! what I read between the lines is, that the sisters try to screw everybody in this drama. bass player, dave, and sam...dave is hard to work with, sure! but doesn't he have any right to ask for musical or creative directions as much as ed? dave will NEVER be a hired gun for anybody...bass player doesn't get that because that's what he became since dave left the band...

better let go 50 mio $ than to sell out your soul...

but you're 100% right about the reunion thing...

PlexiBrown
03-18-2006, 01:51 PM
Where Have All The Good Times Gone!

http://www.jerseyhomeguide.com/vanhalen.jpg
http://www.jerseyhomeguide.com/4444.jpg

DavidLeeNatra
03-18-2006, 02:00 PM
scary...

Don Corleone
03-18-2006, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
But you're 100% right about the reunion thing...

Ditto. The only thing I really raised an eye brow at (nothing you posted Natra) was Mike not giving anything back. Now Mike's no song writer, so new stuff is out. But he always seems to be on the go (granted with Spam), and he he does seem happy to meeting fans, which is much more than can be said for the sisters.

PlexiBrown
03-18-2006, 02:34 PM
http://www.jerseyhomeguide.com/EVH&Roth1.jpg

degüello
03-18-2006, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Halen High
... When Mike states Dave’s ‘ego just wouldn’t let it happen’, he is probably talking about Dave’s reluctance to be subservient to Eddie and Alex, as either a contributor to the song writing process, the design of the band’s videos and imagery, or financially...

Exactly.

Jamocha Joe
03-18-2006, 02:39 PM
How tight can Mikey and Sammy be? Mikey admits he didn't play on any of the god awful new songs and, in fact, wasn't even in the band at that point. Sammy was recording with the sisters and planning a tour without his lifemate. Time to wake up and smell the meth cooking girl. That boy is using you.

I find it incredibly disturbing that a group of 50 year old men can't get over problems from 20 years ago. And the silly fights. He's advertising hot sauce, the arena sells his tequila, I don't like you, you're trying to have an opinion, I need a separate jet, my teeth are falling out, you spilled your wine and stained my capri pants, i burned my retinas out of my eyeballs when my meth lab exploded. Wahhh Wahhh Wahhh! And how about the complaint that the most flamboyant lead singer of all time, that helped launch your band into the stratosphere, has a big ego? What a revelation. After all these years I find out Dave is not an introvert. Who knew? Apparently everyone on the planet except his bandmates.

degüello
03-18-2006, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Howlin' Wolf
... I can't believe that Mikey would 'tell off' Roth, either. And if Roth has such a huge ego--he just sat there and agreed with the bass player?...

Good point! :D

degüello
03-18-2006, 02:43 PM
...The bass player has always been an easy target, but really, the only thing I dont like about him is his "twirling on his back, wearing a cape breakdance" when doing his solo...

:D:D:D Now that was funny.

bantonelli
03-18-2006, 02:44 PM

Fucking cunts.

I have to agree with Brother Terry....The Van Halens and Michael Anthony would still be playing backyard parties as a hobby and working at some mundane 9 to 5, Monday - Friday job at AAMCO or the like if it weren't for the aggressive, will not take "NO" for an answer, persevered ROTH attitude.

Do they appreciate the fact that the band would not get recognition if it weren't for his attitude and personality? After all, it was Bill Gazzari who was intrigued by ROTH's attitude that put Van Halen as his house band and from there, the legend grew....

It's amazing that once success comes knocking on your door, some people forget where they came from and who helped elevate their success, their current lifestyle, etc.

The only way I now see the Van Halen brothers dropping to their knees to reunite with ROTH is if their royalty checks run dry - which could happen, after all, how many times are we going out to purchase CD's, shirts, etc. The only EFFEN Royalty checks they are getting are from Radio Stations worldwide playing ROTH ERA....that's pretty much a fact...at least here in Los Angeles (Major Market....H-E-L-L-O ED/AL/Sobeleski !!!)

Ain't talkin' bout Hagar in LA LA LAND.

jharp84
03-18-2006, 02:48 PM
Well said! It is a vicious circle that will continue to fuck with all of us true CVH fans! Bottom line is put out the old concerts on dvd and cd! What could that hurt at this time! I would be happy with their 1980 movie with concert dvd and soundtrack cd! But as we all know that footage will never be the same! I saw them twice on that tour! And it blew every other show away!!!

degüello
03-18-2006, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by bantonelli
The Van Halens... would still be playing backyard parties as a hobby and working at some mundane 9 to 5, Monday - Friday job at AAMCO or the like if it weren't for the aggressive, will not take "NO" for an answer, persevered ROTH attitude...

That's a stretch.

DavidLeeNatra
03-18-2006, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Jamocha Joe
How tight can Mikey and Sammy be? Mikey admits he didn't play on any of the god awful new songs and, in fact, wasn't even in the band at that point. Sammy was recording with the sisters and planning a tour without his lifemate. Time to wake up and smell the meth cooking girl. That boy is using you.

I find it incredibly disturbing that a group of 50 year old men can't get over problems from 20 years ago. And the silly fights. He's advertising hot sauce, the arena sells his tequila, I don't like you, you're trying to have an opinion, I need a separate jet, my teeth are falling out, you spilled your wine and stained my capri pants, i burned my retinas out of my eyeballs when my meth lab exploded. Wahhh Wahhh Wahhh! And how about the complaint that the most flamboyant lead singer of all time, that helped launch your band into the stratosphere, has a big ego? What a revelation. After all these years I find out Dave is not an introvert. Who knew? Apparently everyone on the planet except his bandmates.

dave said on the radio: "oooooh...dave wasn't sensitive...yeah...I'm the lead singer, so what..."

bantonelli
03-18-2006, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by degüello
All that shit just bums me right the fuck out. The image of Dave bringing in music to the sessions, trying to get things going, the brothers hating it... just makes me fucking sad.

Arrgghh...

The ironic thing about being the lesser-paid employee is what ROTH ended up experiencing and became his reality...the shit end of the stick, with the royalty percentage being a huge notch below the Sisters and MA.

Something completely wrong with this picture and the fact that ROTH humbles himself twice a year to give the Sisters a call to bother getting together with them, despite how they and their lawyers play "dirty" with the business percentages, etc., is certainly not an ego driven maniac as the Sisters/MA would like to think Roth is.

YEAH, ED, You say you are not in it for the MONEY $$ - then why did you make sure that you, Al & MA get $1.00 to Roth's getting $0.30 ???
You can blame it on your attorneys, but attorneys are there to "serve" the client, based on what YOU want....the end result is your call.

PlexiBrown
03-18-2006, 03:10 PM
We can only hope that someday they release the stuff they recorded with Roth. Other than that, it is over. The once mighty Van Halen is no more. If they all can't get along and are still fighting like little bitches after all these years then there is no chance that they can ever suddenly get it together now. They had a window of opportunity. They missed it in a big way. What a waste!!!!

PlexiBrown
03-18-2006, 03:28 PM
When Hagar joined Van Halen they should have called the band something else other than Van Halen. That band should have been called Happy Meal or Ronald And The Hiney Holes.

audiospectrum
03-18-2006, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Warham

Dave is just too damned controlling,

I think the guy has standards, and wants to do a reunion the right way, 100% flame on. Now how's that going to happen with these other three dickwads who've spent their last 20 years in great material comfort? They're still living off what Dave helped build, they haven't done anything credible without Dave. They have exposed themselves in the music to be nothing but average musicians. Don't believe me? Just listen to everything Van Hagar and Cherone. For the most part, it's very very mediocre music.
I enjoyed the article and think Mike really opened up and let out a few of his own frustrations about the whole filthy little mess. But Mike, why didn't you go solo when it all started to go pair shaped? Too comfortable? Liked having the Van Halen status?
I fully realize Dave's big ego, but if he didn't have it he'd have stayed with Van Halen back in 1984, trudging around like a meek little pussy keeling to Ed's stupid misguided ways. And I've always been convinced that Ed's ego is BIGGER than Dave's. So a lot of this doesn't add up. Dave isn't doing this because he's not willing to settle for second best. I say fuck 'em Dave. Fuck nostalgia, something a few of you are guilty of. Fuck sentimentality. What does it matter? Dave doesn't want to fuck the 'real' fans and dish them up anything less than 'Classic Van Halen'. With these three turkeys, I'd rather it stay a memory. I want to see healthy, living large, kick arse attitudes up there on stage, not a bunch of 'old buffoons, waddling around like they're at the family barbecue, trying to imitate what they used to do for a living.'
It's over, don't fucking settle Dave. Fuck the money.

Va Beach VH Fan
03-18-2006, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Full Bug
But yeah, before that tour yeah, we tried to make it work. We went into the studio and it was kind of funny because we first got together in the studio and we were all in the one room together and we did Hot For Teacher, Mean Street and a few other songs and it's the weirdest thing because once we started playing it was like, son of a bitch, there it is, that's the magic! It was like a big déjà vu because it was the original band playing again and it sounded pretty fuckin' good too!

Absolutely INFURIATES me reading shit like this !!!! Egotistical motherfuckers....

and I go on the Internet everyday and I'm checking out what fans are saying and try to keep in touch with what's going on as much as I can with our fan base and people do want to hear the music.

Not from the official site, that's for fucking sure....

THIS is the official site !!!!

ULTRAMAN VH
03-18-2006, 04:14 PM
The fat lady has sung. Lets hope for some boxsets this Christmas. Anybody remember CCR, they were in the same boat. John Fogerty would have walked through the pit of hell before stepping on stage with the original Creedence line up. Hell the HOF could not even get these guy's onstage together. I have a feeling if VH doe's get voted in, it will be an ugly scene. DLR will get fucked again. It will be Van Fagar accepting the award.

Terry
03-18-2006, 04:16 PM
Dave wants the payout as much as anyone else from a CVH reunion (of course, he wants to make sure he's gonna get the same payout percentage as the Van Halens, and THAT is a major reason, IMO, that the reunion hasn't happened yet: Ed and Al won't split the proceeds evenly with Dave, and are holding out until Roth lowers his price).

The financial aspect is an inducement, but I firmly believe Dave wants to make sure a CVH reunion would be undertaken in a way that is going to live up to the high standards of excellence CVH set and is going to thrill fans, rather than have them leaving the arena shaking their heads, wondering why they even bothered. If I were Dave, I'd be a little wary of the Van Halens and wouldn't want to go about a reunion the way Van Hagar did in 2004: with three weak tracks on a greatest hits collection as an excuse to hit the road.

Anthony saying he told Dave off on the Sam and Dave 2002 tour isn't something I buy, although I'm sure they ran into each other at some point. Even if it did happen, Mike has been so far up Ed, Al and Sammy's asses for so long that he's entitled to no credibility in my book, and MA played his dirty little part in all the bullshit of 1996.

Van Halen on temporary hiatus, might become permanent? Well, DUH! Thanks for pointing out the obvious. Most of us figured that out around 2001.

Bottom line is the Van Halens and Anthony want Dave to be their bitch and come back begging for the reunion, take whatever they offer him and do what he is told to.

Dave ain't gonna play it that way, and no fucking reason why he should. The remnants of Van Halen have already demonstrated that they aren't capable of making smart choices. If they are the board of directors and the fans are the shareholders, well, then the response to what has happened since the fall of 1996 is a vote of no confidence.

Ed, Al and Mike just need to focus on the music if CVH reunites. Let Dave handle the media and all the interviews (he's clearly much better at both). Do not let Eddie produce the band. He's got an ear full of shit when it comes to producing records. Get a producer Ed and Dave agree upon, and record somewhere else other than 5150. Ed and Al don't deserve to have control of the band if Dave rejoins; they just aren't capable of it. Perosnally, if I were them I'd be relieved not to have the responsibility. Even if they agree to an equal 4-way split with Dave and Anthony, they'll still be making a shitload more than they're ever gonna futzing around with a Roth-less Van Halen.

bru87tr
03-18-2006, 08:09 PM
if MA says they still got it with dave then I believe they would still kick ass, again!!!

if all that stuff about dave being difficult and dave admitting to MA he was in the dressing room, I am gonna say if its true I am very disappointed in the Diamond one!!! if its true than dave doesnt want it as bad as he says he does. things are different. people have grown up and obviously changed and you cant go back to being the man in a band from many years ago in its youth.

dave man..... you gota just cool it a bit so you can get this thing off the ground with ed and the boys. as much as that would suck you gota do it. #1 for the fans an the band and #2....jesus the fucking money your throwing away.

get it together Dave.

I really believe dave could talk ed into it if he could convince him he could cool it for a new album and tour.

if Dave is impressing MA that tells me ed is even more affraid of a reunion and wont do it because he knows it will be about dave and ed will take a back seat.... so he will think. even after all these years I still think ed gets insecure when he is around dave. I think he doesnt like the way dave makes him feel when hes around him.

but fuck guys!!! one of the huge bands of the 70's that are still alive and fairly young. you gota do it now or the boat will be missed.

fucking dave man! put the ego aside for a bit. the boys control it all and thats the way it is. it is Van Halen and they own the rights to everything. before I said I didnt want dave to do a reunion but fuck I am not getting any younger and I want to feel the VH power one more time before I die or get too old.

dave put that ego shit aside. lets get it on!!!!

bru87tr
03-18-2006, 08:10 PM
terry, you make alot of sense dude! good post!

I totally agree. didnt think of that.

bru87tr
03-18-2006, 08:15 PM
your right, eds ego is much bigger than daves. no doubt about that. but ed will never budge because of that and I still say do what it takes.

lets see .....

me going to a VH reunion concert or see Dave take a stand and say fuckem' ?

I say me going to a VH concert reunion. sorry dave.

yes I am selfish. its been way to long.

Terry
03-18-2006, 08:28 PM
Yeah, but Dave is headstrong. And he was there at the beginning, before the money, before the home studios, before Van Halen was anything anyone was talking about or going to see.

He was there from the ground floor and helped build the fucker. Hagar and Cherone remodeled the building a la Queer Eye, but what everyone remembers is CVH.

So why should Dave tone it down? It's just like Roth was saying in the late 1990s after the first reunion flopped, along the lines of bringing all that anger and sonic fury along with them into the songwriting process, into rehearsals and on the road...competition between Dave and Ed was what ignited the whole thing to begin with. Holding hands in some Some Kinda Monster group therapy bullshit isn't what Van Halen needs.

These are grown fucking men, here. See, I get the sense that Dave knows who he is and is comfortable in his own skin and has an overall positive attitude, whereas Ed is really a whiny bitch who is just plain jealous of Dave and unhappy with himself.

But none of that needs to prohibit then from making music together. Ed and Sam were constantly hugging when Van Hagar first came to be, and them getting along didn't make for exciting music in my book.

Ed and Al just need to decide that they're gonna do it, that they're gonna treat Mike and Dave as equals in this thing and stop thinking of Van Halen as their band and realize people want to see all four of them together. Meth mouth needs to lay off the pipe, go back and relearn the CVH catalog, and maybe playing that music will spark some new killer riffs and ideas, which will in turn prod Dave to do his thing...I mean, is it just me who sees how fucking EASY this should be?

DavidLeeNatra
03-18-2006, 09:01 PM
but I can also read one positive aspect out of bass player's interview...there will NEVER be a hagarized version of =VH= again, either...take this, sheep!!!

PlexiBrown
03-18-2006, 09:08 PM
It makes no sense to blame just Eddie or just Dave. It is both of them. Eddie is always drunk and Dave is impossible to deal with for any length of time. Just ask the musicians in his other bands or anything he gets invoved with for thet matter. Eddie and Dave are their own worst ememies. Also, it is normal for a lead singer to have a big ego but Dave's ego is extraordinary.

I met Eddie in 2004 and he was hammered as usual. He doesn't even know what is going on most of the time. He probably doesn't even recall what he says or does most of the time.

It got to the point with Van Hagar where the four of them split up while traveling. It would be the same thing with Dave.

It seems like Alex wanted to meet Dave half way as far as what kind of stuff they would record. Eddie wouldn't give in this case.

Out of anybody that has ever been in Van Halen, I would believe what Michael Anthony says over any of them. He was always the level headed one who generally kept his mouth shut over the years. When he speaks, I would listen.

Here is a message to Eddie and Dave.....grow up, make some kick ass Rock and give your fans what they deserve!

Won't happen but I guess I can dream.

katie
03-18-2006, 09:14 PM
but I can also read one positive aspect out of bass player's interview...there will NEVER be a hagarized version of =VH= again, either...take this, sheep!!!

100% agreed!

You sir have nailed the fucker (again) in one!

Outstanding!

Respect

Katiie
x

vistadelrey
03-18-2006, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Redballjets88
thats retarded, of course dave is going to be worried about money...wasnt he the guy that was fucked over by the van halens and the bass player before. if i was dave i would have done the same thing. its also stupid how they say "Dave's ego" because he brought in chemical bros., its not ego its him wanting to put a new spin on vh music, but the sisters are too set in their ways to do anything.

all i know is that IF there is ever a reunion i hope they come to my city at the beginning because i know if its near the end the show will suck, or just be cancelled

how did the brothers and the bass player fuck up roth? what are you talking about? roth left halen. that's a fact. he went to fuckin hollywood. member?

you are an omnipresent spirit (representing many rothards)of the egomaniac dlr haunting the artistic integrity of everything van halen. this interview is proof that the brothers gave roth a shot (3 fuckin times) and roth (and your voodoo spirits haunting us all) couldn't pull it off. Have you heard the chemical brothers??? U got to be kidding me. "new spin on vh music?" Laugh my fuckin ass off. how can anyone around here continue to dog evh when roth is just as bad if not worse?? what else do you rothards do anyway?? shitting on evh doesn't even hold water anymore. Hypocracy!! PACK IT UP BOYS. LAST CALL MOTHER FUCKERS. THIS SITE IS TOAST!!

vistadelrey
03-18-2006, 10:50 PM

AMEN.

bantonelli
03-18-2006, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by vistadelrey
how did the brothers and the bass player fuck up roth? what are you talking about? roth left halen. that's a fact. he went to fuckin hollywood. member?

you are an omnipresent spirit (representing many rothards)of the egomaniac dlr haunting the artistic integrity of everything van halen. this interview is proof that the brothers gave roth a shot (3 fuckin times) and roth (and your voodoo spirits haunting us all) couldn't pull it off. Have you heard the chemical brothers??? U got to be kidding me. "new spin on vh music?" Laugh my fuckin ass off. how can anyone around here continue to dog evh when roth is just as bad if not worse?? what else do you rothards do anyway?? shitting on evh doesn't even hold water anymore. Hypocracy!! PACK IT UP BOYS. LAST CALL MOTHER FUCKERS. THIS SITE IS TOAST!!

The music that inspired ROTH while in the VH band (Pre-Hollywood) was music that he grew up with, such as Motown, James Brown, as well as Zeppelin and your standard Rockers of the day... With that said, ROTH was bringing in the Chemical Bros. as a mere example of music theory - not to sound, copy or mimick their music - VH has their own unique sound. If music is art, then why not be open to listen and maybe pick up ona riff that can be incorporated in a VH song ?

Vistadelrey....what's your story? What do you mean by What do us ROTHTARDS to anyway? You haven't convinced me that ROTH is the evil spirit.

No one is intentionally getting on EVH, but tell me, Big V, you think EVH is the Saint of VH? Sure, it takes two to tango and both ED & DAVE need to ego themselves down if they ever intend to make magic again. But, Big V, what does EVH creatively and artistically contribute to VH music and Fans TODAY, NOW, MARCH 2006...WHAT??

EVH doesn't even contribute to his website for his fans, so doesn't that tell you what he thinks of YOU?

vistadelrey
03-18-2006, 11:09 PM
Yeah, but Dave is headstrong. And he was there at the beginning, before the money, before the home studios, before Van Halen was anything anyone was talking about or going to see.

He was there from the ground floor and helped build the fucker. Hagar and Cherone remodeled the building a la Queer Eye, but what everyone remembers is CVH.

So why should Dave tone it down? It's just like Roth was saying in the late 1990s after the first reunion flopped, along the lines of bringing all that anger and sonic fury along with them into the songwriting process, into rehearsals and on the road...competition between Dave and Ed was what ignited the whole thing to begin with. Holding hands in some Some Kinda Monster group therapy bullshit isn't what Van Halen needs.

These are grown fucking men, here. See, I get the sense that Dave knows who he is and is comfortable in his own skin and has an overall positive attitude, whereas Ed is really a whiny bitch who is just plain jealous of Dave and unhappy with himself.

But none of that needs to prohibit then from making music together. Ed and Sam were constantly hugging when Van Hagar first came to be, and them getting along didn't make for exciting music in my book.

Ed and Al just need to decide that they're gonna do it, that they're gonna treat Mike and Dave as equals in this thing and stop thinking of Van Halen as their band and realize people want to see all four of them together. Meth mouth needs to lay off the pipe, go back and relearn the CVH catalog, and maybe playing that music will spark some new killer riffs and ideas, which will in turn prod Dave to do his thing...I mean, is it just me who sees how fucking EASY this should be?

Another spirit haunting us all. "why should he tone it down?" the question should be. Why should he turn up the heat? When he does he loses millions appparently.

thing is dlr really is closer to the circle than he has been in a long time. he is available and ready to go. so are the brothers.
MA? whatever.
Roth wants it. the question is how bad. apparently evh has tons of material. who can deny it. the weirdo was playing music over a phone conversation a few days ago! his hermit lifestyle includes making music and everyone knows it. but can roth shut his mouth? million dollar question. literally.

vistadelrey
03-18-2006, 11:33 PM
The music that inspired ROTH while in the VH band (Pre-Hollywood) was music that he grew up with, such as Motown, James Brown, as well as Zeppelin and your standard Rockers of the day... With that said, ROTH was bringing in the Chemical Bros. as a mere example of music theory - not to sound, copy or mimick their music - VH has their own unique sound. If music is art, then why not be open to listen and maybe pick up ona riff that can be incorporated in a VH song ?

Vistadelrey....what's your story? What do you mean by What do us ROTHTARDS to anyway? You haven't convinced me that ROTH is the evil spirit.

No one is intentionally getting on EVH, but tell me, Big V, you think EVH is the Saint of VH? Sure, it takes two to tango and both ED & DAVE need to ego themselves down if they ever intend to make magic again. But, Big V, what does EVH creatively and artistically contribute to VH music and Fans TODAY, NOW, MARCH 2006...WHAT??

EVH doesn't even contribute to his website for his fans, so doesn't that tell you what he thinks of YOU?

I can't believe it! excellent post. I was expecting something about sodomy or incest. It's just too common around here. anyway I do believe (as I just posted) evh has tons of material. If he doesn't he is just liar.
Now we are getting to the heart of the matter. Yes Eddie's ego is real and problematic. But unlike dlr it is (IMHO) torn from the same cloth of integrity. If not integrity then conviction. he is truly a musician and that has to be dealt with. Musicians are like touchy wives. You may be right about a certain situation but in order for the marriage to continue there you've got to take the high road for some common ground. More often than not the non-bitch must take the high road. (Roth in this case) Yes Roth is the non bitch in this situation. But don't get caught up in that cuz it is eddie that brings most to the table. deny it all you want I swear to you you will still end up in the dark on that argument. . people really sound stupid when they dog eddie's guitar enovations and sound. it's just ignorant.
Roth is not evil at all. he is just the gigalo that can't rise to the occasion of recognizing who eddie is. there's no respect there. this was apparent on the radio a couple weeks back. we all know this.

thome
03-18-2006, 11:36 PM
Seems to me just anouther Blame Dave Crapfest....

Half Daves part........... BULLSH!T

What i see is, once again, the Blame Dave scenario is the excuse
for this Bands suckfest and mike seems to lay -Dave Blame- as the problem of the 2004 reunion tour w Hagar as well?.WTF

Mike sais The Majic was there after one song (w/Dave) .....

Well Buddy mike, I say the majic left with Roth in 85 and if you
found it again YOU should bust everyone's ass to keep it
and stop blamming Dave for VH inability to Function
on a level all can deal with.

Seems like 3 against one and then.... they.... the three.. blame Dave

FUK ME!

Daves music post Van Halen all of it is 500% of a increase in quality
Rock over ANY V/Hagar tune ever ...Plain and Simple

Mike Ed Al the -Big Three????- Oh Shit i just crapped my self...

Heres my scenario I hope Dave never lowers himself to play
with Cry Halen until he busts them all in the face with a

!!!!!!You Suk shaddap and play!!!!!!.....This is Van Halen with Roth!!! RITE!!!
you played Van Hagar now its time to Play Van Halen with Roth!

Her How It Go!

Keep the faith Dave Don't Play Front man for left over van hagar music

Dave on Muthas!

Halen High
03-18-2006, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by audiospectrum
I think the guy has standards, and wants to do a reunion the right way, 100% flame on. Now how's that going to happen with these other three dickwads who've spent their last 20 years in great material comfort? They're still living off what Dave helped build, they haven't done anything credible without Dave. They have exposed themselves in the music to be nothing but average musicians. Don't believe me? Just listen to everything Van Hagar and Cherone. For the most part, it's very very mediocre music.
I enjoyed the article and think Mike really opened up and let out a few of his own frustrations about the whole filthy little mess. But Mike, why didn't you go solo when it all started to go pair shaped? Too comfortable? Liked having the Van Halen status?
I fully realize Dave's big ego, but if he didn't have it he'd have stayed with Van Halen back in 1984, trudging around like a meek little pussy keeling to Ed's stupid misguided ways. And I've always been convinced that Ed's ego is BIGGER than Dave's. So a lot of this doesn't add up. Dave isn't doing this because he's not willing to settle for second best. I say fuck 'em Dave. Fuck nostalgia, something a few of you are guilty of. Fuck sentimentality. What does it matter? Dave doesn't want to fuck the 'real' fans and dish them up anything less than 'Classic Van Halen'. With these three turkeys, I'd rather it stay a memory. I want to see healthy, living large, kick arse attitudes up there on stage, not a bunch of 'old buffoons, waddling around like they're at the family barbecue, trying to imitate what they used to do for a living.'
It's over, don't fucking settle Dave. Fuck the money.

Great post!

The fact Dave wouldn't do it for $50m says a lot. Mike just doesn't get it because he's been selling his soul to the brothers for years.

But I still think we'll get a CVH reunion. Dave sounded very optimistic after his phone chat with Alex earlier this year. Perhaps Alex is working on getting Eddie right for something down the track.

vistadelrey
03-18-2006, 11:52 PM
Dave isn't doing this because he's not willing to settle for second best. I say fuck 'em Dave.

Great post!

The fact Dave wouldn't do it for $50m says a lot. Mike just doesn't get it because he's been selling his soul to the brothers for years.

Respectfully. This is more of the omnipresent spirit called ego and pride.

total drivel. It's a total claptrap and always draws a crowd.

IMO.

rustoffa
03-18-2006, 11:55 PM
I was expecting something about sodomy or incest. It's just too common around here.

Conversational tranference.

Did it hurt?
:confused:

vistadelrey
03-19-2006, 12:14 AM

Big V, what does EVH creatively and artistically contribute to VH music and Fans TODAY, NOW, MARCH 2006...WHAT??

The only thing I can say about this is he is truly a weirdo. I hope he is making music that can be heard one day. Even dead it's worth something to me.
Look at the other extreme that is worse. Sammy Hagar. What a whore dog. Go to his website and he's probably posted there earlier today with a nice photo of his latest Hawaiian shirt. He is a joke.

EVH and web pages? I don’t know how to answer that. It could be that there is a certain degree of new false inclusion that the internet brings to the fan base. I guess if he has a web site he should communicate. That is very true. He’s a weirdo man. I’m not mad at him for this. Who am I?

vistadelrey
03-19-2006, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by rustoffa
Conversational tranference.

Did it hurt?
:confused:

this is some good shit right here. tranference.

post me again! :confused:

bantonelli
03-19-2006, 12:24 AM
I can't believe it! excellent post. I was expecting something about sodomy or incest. It's just too common around here. anyway I do believe (as I just posted) evh has tons of material. If he doesn't he is just liar.
Now we are getting to the heart of the matter. Yes Eddie's ego is real and problematic. But unlike dlr it is (IMHO) torn from the same cloth of integrity. If not integrity then conviction. he is truly a musician and that has to be dealt with. Musicians are like touchy wives. You may be right about a certain situation but in order for the marriage to continue there you've got to take the high road for some common ground. More often than not the non-bitch must take the high road. (Roth in this case) Yes Roth is the non bitch in this situation. But don't get caught up in that cuz it is eddie that brings most to the table. deny it all you want I swear to you you will still end up in the dark on that argument. . people really sound stupid when they dog eddie's guitar enovations and sound. it's just ignorant.
Roth is not evil at all. he is just the gigalo that can't rise to the occasion of recognizing who eddie is. there's no respect there. this was apparent on the radio a couple weeks back. we all know this.

You contribute alot to be thought about before answering...BUT, I must disagree with your quote about ROTH not recognizing who ED is and the lack of respect that ROTH supposedly has.

If you watched the DVD "Early Van Halen Years" (2003), ROTH is interviewed and maintains that when he first witnessed ED on stage in the Pasadena Days (before ROTH joined VH), ROTH was mezmerized by ED and considered him a mentor. ROTH said, "I want to do with my voice and my feet what ED does with his guitar. Ed has been a mentor of mine."

The tone of that statement still stands today. Not only does it stand, but you know as well as I that ROTH is totally anal and a perfectionist regarding the talent of the musicians he gathers to work with.
ROTH also points this out in his book, CFTH. Stating that ED & AL are excellent musicians and he makes it clear that they are the BEST he has ever worked with.

DAVE doesn't disrespect ED personally or professionally at all - it's the opposite. Dave may put ED down on his show, but most of us who follow the VH & DLR situation, realize that DLR is blowing off steam...he's mad, he's hungry to get the magic going again with ED. I think some of us (not all) feel the same....sure, we may make comments about ED that speak negatively, but it's only due to our frustration of seeing these guys, so effen talented, so much better than what's out there today and knowing that it's an ego-driven feud that keeps them apart from making the magic happen again.

DAVE respects the hell out ED and I do as well....But yeah, Dave is simply pissed that the minds haven't reconciled and decided to get the party started again.

vistadelrey
03-19-2006, 12:55 AM
Well I will say this is the first exchange I have had on this site that is refreshingly informative.

I did hear roth on the radio when he spoke about "big trouble" and the other unreleased stuff. he is so much more than hagar as a frontman and downright sharp. still. that is roth. but what about the eddie side of things. do you agree that roth should take the high road somewhere. do this based on the delicate nature of a musician. I mean you explained that he respects him. if that is true than think about the behavior that goes along with respect. respect can just be a word ya know. It is a fine line. I'm not saying he should suck eddies dick. I'm just saying roth's gotta perform somehow. get it done. that's what i got from this interview at least. he didn't get it done. It's not like people say it is where eddie won't give a nanosecond of his time to roth.

btw. why did roth really leave in 84. give me your informative side of the story rather than the vile spewing community that i am used to. cuz that is crucial.

rustoffa
03-19-2006, 12:58 AM
this is some good shit right here. tranference.

post me again! :confused:

What do you want to know?

I'm a fucking magic 8-ball. Did you know the fluid in those things have alot of bearing on "transference?"

Fuck it dude, I'm not here to disect long-windtyped diatribes. I'm here to for the sodomy and incest.

Go on....

PlexiBrown
03-19-2006, 01:09 AM
Eddie is a full blown alcoholic. Until he straightens out he won't be able to function in any band, relationship or whatever. It is a sickness. It effects every part of his life including his playing. If he doesn't straighten out he will be dead soon. I believe his father died from alcoholism also. In a perfect world it would be cool if someone can go up to Eddie and say, "stop drinkling and get your life together" and then he did. It is not that simple though. Valerie stuck with him for a long time. She couldn't help him. It is hard to help someone who can't or won't try to help themselves. I am sure Eddie is in denial also. I love the guy and he is the reason I picked up a guitar and still play to this day. However, he is a sick man and he will either somehow get well or he will die soon. Right now he has one foot in the grave and one foot on a banana peel. Even if they got together with Roth tomorrow it wouldn't matter because Eddie is too sick. It would be a half assed tour and Eddie would play like crap like he did in 2004. It would be hard enough for them to do a reunion if Eddie was well. Eddie's present condition along with the typical Dave and Eddie issues would make it impossible.

vistadelrey
03-19-2006, 01:20 AM
and what's with the michael anthony praise. he shouldn't be praised and he shouldn't be disrespected. He's just the bassist with all due respect.

Apples to Oranges acutally. MA being a straight up guy and all is par for the course.

The three song deal in shameful but so were the songs. there's no substance to that really.

vistadelrey
03-19-2006, 01:42 AM
Eddie is a full blown alcoholic. Until he straightens out he won't be able to function in any band, relationship or whatever. It is a sickness. It effects every part of his life including his playing. If he doesn't straighten out he will be dead soon. I believe his father died from alcoholism also. In a perfect world it would be cool if someone can go up to Eddie and say, "stop drinkling and get your life together" and then he did. It is not that simple though. Valerie stuck with him for a long time. She couldn't help him. It is hard to help someone who can't or won't try to help themselves. I am sure Eddie is in denial also. I love the guy and he is the reason I picked up a guitar and still play to this day. However, he is a sick man and he will either somehow get well or he will die soon. Right now he has one foot in the grave and one foot on a banana peel. Even if they got together with Roth tomorrow it wouldn't matter because Eddie is too sick. It would be a half assed tour and Eddie would play like crap like he did in 2004. It would be hard enough for them to do a reunion if Eddie was well. Eddie's present condition along with the typical Dave and Eddie issues would make it impossible.

hopefully not. the cherone tour he was on and the reunion tour he was toast. but we know why now. he is struggling with some demons. hopefully the hagar crap is over and there are better days on the horizon.

PlexiBrown
03-19-2006, 02:07 AM
I hope so!

ThrillsNSpills
03-19-2006, 02:19 AM
Ed and Al are control freaks. There is no team player mentality here and in the old days where Ed had people to bounce ideas off of(Donn, Dave , Ted,) the material was better, there was push and pull. Even when the band had their problems they still were untouchable live.
Also in the old days Ed used to say things like having a big ego doesn't get you anywhere and you have to do it for the love of it and now that he sees the Van Halen name as a corporation and they seem to feel that they have the right to tell their players how to live their lives of course there's going to be tension.

That said it sure would have been something to be a fly on the wall when they played with Roth and the magic was still there. Anybody who heard the BOV1 tracks knew that would be the case. And to hear those 5 tracks Dave's got....what would it take to get those five plus some unreleased gems put out on a full new release?

And they always talk about Dave's ego... could be the case but he's got vision, ideas, and part of the chemistry that make the early version explode, and the Bros just dismiss it and see him as difficult. At least Alex said let's do stuff Roth wants to do and we'll do our thing...
How hard can that be?

DavidLeeNatra
03-19-2006, 06:09 AM
read the book...dave says in CFTH that "their whole thing became hyper strategic"...if the sisters made their lawyers call every radio station not to mention bass player's hot sauce and sam's pissy tequila that says a lot...I read sam's book about the "business" that was going on between the band and what the sisters do with it make good ol' gene $immon$ look like a saint...

DavidLeeNatra
03-19-2006, 08:37 AM
VAN HALEN Bassist On Status Of Band - "We're On Temporary Hiatus That Possibly Could Become Permanent"

...and I go on the Internet everyday and I'm checking out what fans are saying and try to keep in touch with what's going on as much as I can with our fan base and people do want to hear the music

now check this out, bass player!

IT AIN'T VAN HALEN WITHOUT DAVID LEE ROTH

and now don't act like a pussy and go and tell the sisters...

vistadelrey
03-19-2006, 08:54 AM
now check this out, bass player!

IT AIN'T VAN HALEN WITHOUT DAVID LEE ROTH

and now don't act like a pussy and go and tell the sisters...

good for you. now take the six halen albums that you own and fade the fuck out cuz that' all your gonna get. the roth that IS halen in your mind blew it. 3x. yeah. he struck the fuck out.

DavidLeeNatra
03-19-2006, 09:04 AM
good for you. now take the six halen albums that you own and fade the fuck out cuz that' all your gonna get. the roth that IS halen in your mind blew it. 3x. yeah. he struck the fuck out.

are you talkin' to me?

Don Corleone
03-19-2006, 09:34 AM
good for you. now take the six halen albums that you own and fade the fuck out cuz that' all your gonna get. the roth that IS halen in your mind blew it. 3x. yeah. he struck the fuck out. .

DavidLeeNatra
03-19-2006, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Don Corleone

:D

Diamondjimi
03-19-2006, 04:03 PM

"
I mean even if you just wanted to look at it purely look at it from a money standpoint that guy was hurting for money."

Bullshit . Dave has made boatloads more than Bassplayer.

Big Train
03-19-2006, 04:16 PM

I mean even if you just wanted to look at it purely look at it from a money standpoint that guy was hurting for money.

And it came off so great that we started thinking well God, and I go on the Internet everyday and I'm checking out what fans are saying and try to keep in touch with what's going on as much as I can with our fan base and people do want to hear the music. There were a lot of great comments that came from us doing that thing down there and we were like, hey you know, we want to go out and we want to play the stuff and the fans want to hear it.

Two things:

1. Roth is in no way hurting for money and it is yet another cheap shot to say that he is? On what basis is that guy hurting for money? Other than the millions in royalites that were being held away from him in collusion (WB and the VH Corp., who knows if "Hired gun" is part of it anymore), but even so he made millions and millions on the royalities he did make, his solo career and touring over the years. He was always thrifty, no Lambos or GT40s like Mad...er Bass Player and never got divorced, like the sisters.

2. If he "checks the Internet everyday to stay in touch with the fans" , webmasters please hot link his fucking site and give him and honorary screenname. We have much to discuss...

DavidLeeNatra
03-19-2006, 04:22 PM
does "demanding what you deserve" mean "hurting for money"?

yeah bass player...suck it and swallow everything...sign slavery-contracts with the sisters but don't piss on a man who has the balls to stand straight up!

PlexiBrown
03-19-2006, 04:53 PM
As far as money is concerned it is not just what you make or made, it is what you keep. I know a lot of people who "make" a lot of money and are in debt. Better to invest 5000 bucks properly then to waste a million.

light 'em up!
03-19-2006, 09:12 PM
"As you can see from this ghastly picture of former guitar hero Eddie Van Halen at an Oscar party last week, the guy has -- or should have -- more pressing concerns with his life right now. I don't know about you, but if I passed him on the street, I'd be inclined to hand him a buck or buy him a hot meal. Some demons are impossible to exorcise, and Van Halen looks as if he is paying the price for his battles."

MUSIC COLUMN - THE BEAT: Looking for a lead
Is Tommy Lee jumping into the search for the next rock star?
MELISSA RUGGIERI
MUSIC CRITIC Mar 16, 2

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RTD/MGArticle/RTD_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1137834737367

vistadelrey
03-19-2006, 11:17 PM
I hope so!

so you do in fact hope that eddie is pretty much dead.

Ok.
gotcha.
if you want to wish death on somebody. do it up!!!

vistadelrey
03-19-2006, 11:24 PM
are you talkin' to me?

Absolutely.

vistadelrey
03-19-2006, 11:29 PM
As far as money is concerned it is not just what you make or made, it is what you keep. I know a lot of people who "make" a lot of money and are in debt. Better to invest 5000 bucks properly then to waste a million.

thats right. how in the fuck would any one here know a god damn thing about roth's cash flow.

you talk about elementary econ here. avg. joe thinks roth is rich cuz of halen proceeds? DO YOU ALL LIVE WITH YOUR MOM OR WHAT?

vistadelrey
03-19-2006, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by Big Train
Two things:

1. Roth is in no way hurting for money.....

Explain please. If you would. where and how you got this GOLDEN IMFORMATION. Was it your frontal lobe or just some bird. please tell.

vistadelrey
03-19-2006, 11:38 PM
You contribute alot to be thought about before answering...BUT, I must disagree with your quote about ROTH not recognizing who ED is and the lack of respect that ROTH supposedly has.

If you watched the DVD "Early Van Halen Years" (2003), ROTH is interviewed and maintains that when he first witnessed ED on stage in the Pasadena Days (before ROTH joined VH), ROTH was mezmerized by ED and considered him a mentor. ROTH said, "I want to do with my voice and my feet what ED does with his guitar. Ed has been a mentor of mine."

The tone of that statement still stands today. Not only does it stand, but you know as well as I that ROTH is totally anal and a perfectionist regarding the talent of the musicians he gathers to work with.
ROTH also points this out in his book, CFTH. Stating that ED & AL are excellent musicians and he makes it clear that they are the BEST he has ever worked with.

DAVE doesn't disrespect ED personally or professionally at all - it's the opposite. Dave may put ED down on his show, but most of us who follow the VH & DLR situation, realize that DLR is blowing off steam...he's mad, he's hungry to get the magic going again with ED. I think some of us (not all) feel the same....sure, we may make comments about ED that speak negatively, but it's only due to our frustration of seeing these guys, so effen talented, so much better than what's out there today and knowing that it's an ego-driven feud that keeps them apart from making the magic happen again.

DAVE respects the hell out ED and I do as well....But yeah, Dave is simply pissed that the minds haven't reconciled and decided to get the party started again.

once again. how can you deny the omnipresent spirit of egomaniacs that control this thread. everything you said made total sense yesterday yet the total vile of late has sent me into a tailspin of disbelief. fuck this. so much bulshit. yesterday i'm talkiin to you about roth taking the high road and today.... whatever. later. pathetic verquenza. que se vayan a la mierda a todos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ciao

PlexiBrown
03-20-2006, 12:40 AM
I was saying "I Hope So" to there being better days ahead!!!

audiospectrum
03-20-2006, 01:01 AM
so you do in fact hope that eddie is pretty much dead.

Ok.
gotcha.
if you want to wish death on somebody. do it up!!!

You are too sensitive.
You don't seem to understand that it's not about money or getting along, it's about artistic integrity. I don't give a fuck about Dave's personal life, or Ed's. But Dave has always told the truth through his music and has never fucked me over with a crummy album. I know some of you may not agree with that (YFLM and DD). Personally those two albums are nothing short of excellent. Ed has done very little since 1984, VERY LITTLE! He sure can play guitar, probably the best I've ever heard, but since 1984, garbage. Nothing to write home about.
Don't give me this 1998 he was right on shit. He sucked. His playing was good, better than a lot of Sammy material, but the music sucked. It's about the package. It was a shit package. Look I gotta split the library is closing. But this is good. Everyone has something to say. Great stuff.

BTW, great post Terry, again, superb hearing you speak your mind.

Halen High
03-20-2006, 05:56 AM
There are people on other web sites who like to convince themselves otherwise, but Van Halen hasn't been a real band since the day Dave left.

Hagar has always been a hired gun. Nothing more. And as we've known for some time now, Mike too has ceased to be anything other than a hired bass player for live dates and photo sessions. BLOODY PATHETIC!

The brothers have become control freaks and they want to treat Dave the same way. A hired lead singer who will do as he's told or get fired. This is obvious, yet predictably, we get the same old 'Daves ego is the problem' crap. Of course he has an ego. But so what! Even Eddie said they were getting along fine during 2000/2001, then the lawyers got involved and it fell apart. Doesn't sound like Dave was pulling any 'shenanigans', or had any ego problems to me. They've been at a stalemate ever since.

There's no point in a reunion if they can't function as a real band. Dave knows this and is prepared to give up $50m rather than destroy the CVH legacy.

bantonelli
03-20-2006, 10:51 AM

Before you go on to simply mention Roth blowing it 3x (based on the MA interview), my wise advice to you is to go buy CFTH on Amazon.com (rare to find in stores at this point) and READ IT. In that book, you will find the answers to the questions that you posed to me AND WHY Dave ended up leaving the band. It's All There.

To base your knowledge on an MA Interview is NOT the whole enchilada - try getting ROTH's observation of the scenario as well. I think you will find that you will have a different attitude.

P.S. No need to go off in spanish....Yo comprendo English. Gracias.

bantonelli
03-20-2006, 11:09 AM

That's exactly how I understood your post....I don't understand this Vistadelrey's thinking....he sounds VERY negative and uninformed. I feel like he wants us to provide him with all the answers instead of him doing the due diligence!!

vistadelrey
03-20-2006, 11:37 AM

my bad

vistadelrey
03-20-2006, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by audiospectrum
You are too sensitive.
You don't seem to understand that it's not about money or getting along, it's about artistic integrity. I don't give a fuck about Dave's personal life, or Ed's. But Dave has always told the truth through his music and has never fucked me over with a crummy album. I know some of you may not agree with that (YFLM and DD). Personally those two albums are nothing short of excellent. Ed has done very little since 1984, VERY LITTLE! He sure can play guitar, probably the best I've ever heard, but since 1984, garbage. Nothing to write home about.
Don't give me this 1998 he was right on shit. He sucked. His playing was good, better than a lot of Sammy material, but the music sucked. It's about the package. It was a shit package. Look I gotta split the library is closing. But this is good. Everyone has something to say. Great stuff.

BTW, great post Terry, again, superb hearing you speak your mind.

well that's fine. From this I understand that you do not enjoy anything that VH since Roth. That is fine. IN contrast I regard the Roth VH stuff as much better than the hagar VH stuff. I listen cvh over and over while the hagar halen is really just on the shelf. But in the final analysis for me it is about hearing eddie play. so while hagar is sub par for you it is still eddie playing beautiful sounds. no need to beat this one to death.

FORD
03-20-2006, 12:50 PM

Hagar has always been a hired gun. Nothing more.

Sorry, but that's not the case. The Three Stooges were basically sitting around dazed and confused after Dave left, and then Hagar and his manager Ed Leffler walked in and simply took over. Sam & Leffler were pretty much in charge of Van Hagar until the day Ed Leffler died. Then came the power struggle in the group, with Spam wanting Aerosmith's manager Tim Collins, and the sisters wanting Danniels. Collins saw Eddie's head-shaving freakout episode and he said "No fuckin way can I deal with this shit. I already got Steven Tyler".

And that's when Danniels and the Lying Dutchmen gained control. In all probability, it was Danniels & Alex, since Eddie was and remains a basket case. Irving Azoff probably only was interested in the Van Hagar reunion, and I wouldn't be surprised to hear that he dumped the sisters by now. Leaving Alex the default manager.

But it's definitely true that the Ched Rocker wasn't the leader of the band in 2004.

lafours
03-20-2006, 01:16 PM
I heard somewhere ( radio I think ) that Micheal Anthony invested alot of money in Disney stock and isnt hurting for cash at all..in fact probobly better off than Roth or the Sisters... is this true?

DavidLeeNatra
03-20-2006, 01:30 PM
as long as dave can afford a million to make a "no holds BBQ"-photo/video session for fun I'm not worried ;)

PlexiBrown
03-20-2006, 01:51 PM
If any of those guys are hurting for money then they are financially retarded. Either that or they had crooks in charge of thier money.

Until someone sees their income tax returns and bank statements it is foolish to say who is hurting for money and who isn't.

They all made millions. Whether any of them blew it or not is anybody's guess. I haven't heard that any of them have filed for bankruptcy. That doesn't mean it hasen't happened.

Whether they are broke or loaded doesn't make any difference to me.

FORD
03-20-2006, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by lafours
I heard somewhere ( radio I think ) that Micheal Anthony invested alot of money in Disney stock and isnt hurting for cash at all..in fact probobly better off than Roth or the Sisters... is this true?

I did read something along those lines a while back. Not sure if it was specifically Disney stock, but Mikey was playing the market for a while.

In any case, I don't think bass player will be standing in soup lines or tending bar in Cabo Wabo any time soon.

Halen High
03-20-2006, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Sorry, but that's not the case. The Three Stooges were basically sitting around dazed and confused after Dave left, and then Hagar and his manager Ed Leffler walked in and simply took over. Sam & Leffler were pretty much in charge of Van Hagar until the day Ed Leffler died. Then came the power struggle in the group, with Spam wanting Aerosmith's manager Tim Collins, and the sisters wanting Danniels. Collins saw Eddie's head-shaving freakout episode and he said "No fuckin way can I deal with this shit. I already got Steven Tyler".

And that's when Danniels and the Lying Dutchmen gained control. In all probability, it was Danniels & Alex, since Eddie was and remains a basket case. Irving Azoff probably only was interested in the Van Hagar reunion, and I wouldn't be surprised to hear that he dumped the sisters by now. Leaving Alex the default manager.

But it's definitely true that the Ched Rocker wasn't the leader of the band in 2004.

Yep, I take your point and in a 'political' sense you're right. But the point I was trying to make (and not very well) was that Sammy was always just a hired lead singer in the sense of his contribution to the band's music. To me, Van Hagar was always Eddie's band. Sammy's severe limitations as a creative artist limited his 'say' in whatever the band did in the studio so he was always subservient to the brothers. He was there to supply lyrics and vocals, but otherwise it was Eddie and Alex doing it their way. Particularly early on. Then I think in the early-90s Sammy got comfortable with his position in VH and that's when Eddie's insecurities surfaced.

I don't think Eddie ever really respected Sammy as an artist.

PumpedUpMidget
03-20-2006, 09:35 PM
Yep, I take your point and in a 'political' sense you're right. But the point I was trying to make (and not very well) was that Sammy was always just a hired lead singer in the sense of his contribution to the band's music. To me, Van Hagar was always Eddie's band. Sammy's severe limitations as a creative artist limited his 'say' in whatever the band did in the studio so he was always subservient to the brothers. He was there to supply lyrics and vocals, but otherwise it was Eddie and Alex doing it their way. Particularly early on. Then I think in the early-90s Sammy got comfortable with his position in VH and that's when Eddie's insecurities surfaced.

Well said.

audiospectrum
03-20-2006, 09:54 PM
well that's fine. From this I understand that you do not enjoy anything that VH since Roth. That is fine. IN contrast I regard the Roth VH stuff as much better than the hagar VH stuff. I listen cvh over and over while the hagar halen is really just on the shelf. But in the final analysis for me it is about hearing eddie play. so while hagar is sub par for you it is still eddie playing beautiful sounds. no need to beat this one to death.

I understand you totally. I don't hate Van Hagar. If I'd have never heard classic Van Halen, I'd have heard Hagar and still thought, "Shit what a guitarist, pretty damn good if I do say so myself!" But when I hear the classic 6, they really blow me away in terms of what Eddie could achieve and that makes me think about what he could have done if he stayed in it for the love and stayed away from Val and showbiz and booze and drugs and money and power. Or at least if he'd been able to deal with these things in a better way. I have a friend who's had limited fatherly role models, and he's similar to Ed. Great talent and hungry when he needs to be, but can't get his shit right and keep out of crummy ho-bag relationships etc.
Eddie has wasted time, made bad choices regarding songs and singers. His playing was sub-par from 1984 onwards, with the exception of some very good work here and there.
My point is, why should Dave work with a guy who hasn't touched on his peak for over 20 years now? I know Ed's great, probably still better than most but good enough just doesn't cut it with me, and I don't see why it should cut with Dave. Unless Dave get's nostalgic or money hungry... and I sure hope he doesn't.

Roth & Roll
03-20-2006, 11:03 PM
Eddie never had cancer...he IS the cancer.

Fucking Meth-head.

PlexiBrown
03-21-2006, 12:16 AM
I think I just saw Sammy Hagar in my backyard. It is kind of dark though......it might have just been some dog shit.

Dan
03-21-2006, 12:20 AM
I think I just saw Sammy Hagar in my backyard. It is kind of dark though......it might have just been some dog shit.

LOL

ZahZoo
03-21-2006, 03:13 AM
Originally posted by degüello

Arrgghh...

Oh come on... the fucking Chemical Brothers?? Music?? Please... that's like Barbara Streisand bringing in a Karen Carpentor song to a fat clinic and praisin findng Jesus... Sorry but that dog don't hunt.

DrMaddVibe
03-21-2006, 06:30 AM
Originally posted by ZahZoo
Oh come on... the fucking Chemical Brothers?? Music?? Please... that's like Barbara Streisand bringing in a Karen Carpentor song to a fat clinic and praisin findng Jesus... Sorry but that dog don't hunt.

I gotta look at this another way.

I like "Ice Cream Man", "Happy Trails", "You're No Good", and "Just A Gigalo". Solid covers done with a solid band.

Dave probably walked into Howdy Doody Mountain saw the disheveled state the group was in and figured that if he was going to sing with this pack then it would be better if it was just electronic synth tunes.

LOL!!!!!!!

DavidLeeNatra
03-21-2006, 06:36 AM
I don't think dave wanted them to cover the music but to listen what "modern" music could sound like...just giving some input, exchanging ideas, getting creative and make it "new" classic =VH=...

ed might have looked like this

http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/ap/20060306/capt.camw12703061102.elton_john_oscar_party_camw12 7.jpg

DrMaddVibe
03-21-2006, 06:38 AM
I'm sure that's what Ed looked like. Prolly scared the shit out of Roth.

He knew that he was going to get nothing from them.

amadeus
03-21-2006, 07:40 AM

LOL - really!!! Why the Chemical Brothers?!?!

Nickdfresh
03-21-2006, 08:35 AM

LOL Who could? Can't blame him for that...

vistadelrey
03-21-2006, 11:04 AM
I don't think dave wanted them to cover the music but to listen what "modern" music could sound like...just giving some input, exchanging ideas, getting creative and make it "new" classic =VH=...

I have recently changed my mind on this. I went from laughing at the idea to understanding what the purpose was. It's just a source of inspiration. roth is sharp about the musical approach. But somewhere his sense gets derailed and this massive fuckin ego takes over.

btw. stop posting that stupid photo.

bueno bob
03-21-2006, 11:15 AM
I have recently changed my mind on this. I went from laughing at the idea to understanding what the purpose was. It's just a source of inspiration. roth is sharp about the musical approach. But somewhere his sense gets derailed and this massive fuckin ego takes over.

When you have lots of Larg, like Dave and myself do, having an ego is just...well, common. You HAVE to let your grateness out somehow.

This one?

http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/ap/20060306/capt.camw12703061102.elton_john_oscar_party_camw12 7.jpg

DavidLeeNatra
03-21-2006, 12:26 PM

this one's better?

http://www.headline-music.de/html/deaded.jpg

Nickdfresh
03-21-2006, 12:31 PM
Uhuhuuhuhuhuhuhuh!

vistadelrey
03-21-2006, 10:24 PM
what was this thread about again?

vistadelrey

vistadelrey

DavidLeeNatra
03-22-2006, 07:21 AM

bass player speaking about the current state of van halen...

bueno bob
03-22-2006, 07:26 AM
And meth, too...

HA!

DavidLeeNatra
03-22-2006, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by bueno bob
And meth, too...

HA!

and ego...

bueno bob
03-22-2006, 07:30 AM
And about somebody really bitch-slapping Ed up alongside his head for all the years in the toilet...

degüello
03-22-2006, 04:46 PM

Now you're showing your age, grumpy gramps.

Have you ever listened to an entire CD of theirs? Heard it blasting in a club full of sweating, writhing chicks in tube tops rocking out on E? Shit can be pretty mind blowing when you're all horned up and whacked out on chemicals and weed... :D

Even if you don't dig the beats, etc, the CD's can at least be appreciated on a production level. Supersonic highs and lows, gut-shaking bass, and wild, anarchic sirens and crap. Highly effective in the right setting.

Halen High
03-22-2006, 11:07 PM
Sammy Hagar in an interview with Norway's Metal Express July 2005:

"We tried to do an album. We only got three songs done. It took four months to do three songs. So I was saying, 'Let's go out and play for the people before this whole thing ends.' 'Cause if you remember right, they tried to do an album with Gary Cherone — the second record — and that didn't finish. Then they tried to do a record with Dave [Lee Roth] three times, and they never got it done. So I was seeing that coming."

So Mike, you said the reason things didn't work out with Dave was because of his ego? So what was the problem when attempting to record with Gary in 1999, and Sammy in late 2003 and early 2004?

Doesn't sound like Dave's the problem to me.

They were obviously able to get through a lot more work with Dave, which tells me that's who Eddie and Alex really wanted to work with.

But when it came down to signing contracts, it had to be on their terms only.

DavidLeeNatra
03-23-2006, 08:51 AM
Sammy Hagar in an interview with Norway's Metal Express July 2005:

"We tried to do an album. We only got three songs done. It took four months to do three songs. So I was saying, 'Let's go out and play for the people before this whole thing ends.' 'Cause if you remember right, they tried to do an album with Gary Cherone — the second record — and that didn't finish. Then they tried to do a record with Dave [Lee Roth] three times, and they never got it done. So I was seeing that coming."

So Mike, you said the reason things didn't work out with Dave was because of his ego? So what was the problem when attempting to record with Gary in 1999, and Sammy in late 2003 and early 2004?

Doesn't sound like Dave's the problem to me.

They were obviously able to get through a lot more work with Dave, which tells me that's who Eddie and Alex really wanted to work with.

But when it came down to signing contracts, it had to be on their terms only.

damn good point!!!