PDA

View Full Version : What went down with Gary Cherone?

thefive
04-13-2004, 04:48 AM
Did any of you read any interviews about how it ended with Gary Cherone? What I am asking is what the details were? Did Ed come up and say to Gary this isn't working out or did Gary say I am not happy and I want to go back doing solo. I never read anything on this subject.

Thefive

Panamark
04-13-2004, 06:52 AM
Gary realized everybody wanted Dave back. Simple as that. At least he had the grace to step aside in the hope it might happen.

ashstralia
04-13-2004, 07:07 AM
there was a hole in his heart.

Wayne L.
04-13-2004, 09:06 AM
Gary Cherone will be mostly FORGOTTEN in VH history in the years ahead so who cares one way or the other while VH3 is a great rock album if you're not expecting another Van Halen, Women & Children First & 1984.

Sarge
04-13-2004, 09:23 AM
Didn't it have something to do with VH losing their Warner Bros contract?

Other than that I never thought about it.

L.S.D.
04-13-2004, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Panamark
Gary realized everybody wanted Dave back. Simple as that. At least he had the grace to step aside in the hope it might happen.

Actually He told them to go get dlr or sammy, and as recent as last year he said they should get Sammy.

To answer the question, he bailed because he knew he'd never be accepted.

DavidLeeNatra
04-13-2004, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by L.S.D.
he bailed because he knew he'd never be accepted.

something you experienced big time...

Cathedral
04-13-2004, 10:24 AM
Um, lets not gloss over the fact that empy seats and shitty ticket sales for the first time in VH history played a major part in Gary's withdrawl from the band.

It wasn't just the CD sales that sucked...

Face it, the Tour started out like all the others but word of mouth that Gary rolled around the stage like a flaming faggot spread quicker than his ass cheeks and there isn't a true VH fan alive who can tolerate the vision of a hairy ass when thinking about the original woman loving Mighty Van Halen...

DavidLeeNatra
04-13-2004, 10:30 AM
man...I was at the show in berlin - germany (with less than 2000 people in the audience) - a friend who worked for the tour sponsor invited me - totally fucked up ed and neckbraced al...totally boring till the crowd startet to chant "we want dave"...never seen somebody more pissed than alexis...while ed was too drunk to realize what was going on around him...no encore...rest of the germany-tour was cancelled because of alexis' neck problems...truth was they couldn't sell out the venues toilets...

(told that story before, but I still laugh, when I think back of that experience)

Shawn
04-13-2004, 11:01 AM
I heard Gary himself say in a radio interview that he wanted to do another Van Halen album.

L.S.D.
04-13-2004, 11:29 AM
They did another album, but it got scraped when they realized it would tank harder than 3.

Catfish
04-13-2004, 11:34 AM
Record sales.

Catfish
Eddie.

Catfish
Wait--Eddie went down ON Gary, not with him. My bad.

ELVIS
04-13-2004, 11:50 AM
Hey thefive

Go hang out at the links if you want to discuss garbage...

theking

thefive
04-13-2004, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
Hey thefive

Go hang out at the links if you want to discuss garbage...

theking

Hey man you are being rude. I am asking a question because I wanted to know what went down with VH3. I did not hear anything.
All I heard was rumors.

thefive

ELVIS
04-13-2004, 12:44 PM
I am telling you where to get the appropriate answer for your question...

This is the David Lee Roth Army...

We do not know or care about VH3 garbage...

:elvis:

thefive
04-13-2004, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
I am telling you where to get the appropriate answer for your question...

This is the David Lee Roth Army...

We do not know or care about VH3 garbage...

:elvis:

Come on!!! There are so many different subjects talked about on here.
My question was a valid question Elvis. I was just curious.

thefive
And at least I do not like Van Hagar

Sarge
04-13-2004, 01:22 PM
Does anyone remember Gary falling off the stage on the "Ten Spot" live concert they did on MTV?

Hitch used to have pics of that on his site.
What a joke

jeando
04-13-2004, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
man...I was at the show in berlin - germany (with less than 2000 people in the audience) - a friend who worked for the tour sponsor invited me - totally fucked up ed and neckbraced al...totally boring till the crowd startet to chant "we want dave"...never seen somebody more pissed than alexis...while ed was too drunk to realize what was going on around him...no encore...rest of the germany-tour was cancelled because of alexis' neck problems...truth was they couldn't sell out the venues toilets...

(told that story before, but I still laugh, when I think back of that experience)

And because it went bad in germany they didn't came to holland. They canceled the concert because of an accident , alex got hit by a peace of sealing that came down. At least that is what they told us back in holland

Dr. Love
04-13-2004, 02:02 PM
Gary seems like the only nice guy out of the whole lot. But... nice guys don't win, but at least he left quietly and didn't talk shit about Sam or Dave.

Sarge
04-13-2004, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by jeando
And because it went bad in germany they didn't came to holland. They canceled the concert because of an accident , alex got hit by a peace of sealing that came down. At least that is what they told us back in holland

They didn't hit him hard enough

thefive
04-13-2004, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Love
Gary seems like the only nice guy out of the whole lot. But... nice guys don't win, but at least he left quietly and didn't talk shit about Sam or Dave.

Gary should have talk shit about Eddie, Alex and Dounut Boy.
And he should have talked some shit about POODLE head too.

thefive

Cathedral
04-13-2004, 03:30 PM
Be realistic folks, Gary was offered a kick ass gig with Van Halen and any fool with vocal ability would have jumped at the chance.
he should have known it wouldn't work and I am sure he had his doubts from the start.
I don't like the dude at all, but he did pick some cool Roth era tunes that Spammy would never have touched.

The only problem is that Edward had to re-learn those older songs and they sucked for the most part.

All I'm pointing out here is that Gary stepped up to the plate and tried to please all the fans and for that alone he deserves more respect than Spammy Hagar will ever see in his lifetime.

Hell, I'd rather see Gary back than Spammy if the truth be known, but neither still can replace those sensible shoes Dave wore for the band.

Big Troubles
04-13-2004, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Cathedral
Um, lets not gloss over the fact that empy seats and shitty ticket sales for the first time in VH history played a major part in Gary's withdrawl from the band.

It wasn't just the CD sales that sucked...

Face it, the Tour started out like all the others but word of mouth that Gary rolled around the stage like a flaming faggot spread quicker than his ass cheeks and there isn't a true VH fan alive who can tolerate the vision of a hairy ass when thinking about the original woman loving Mighty Van Halen...

Truth...ah so perfect in it's own timing. Gary bailed during their tour. Told the bros. to get either DLR or Sam back because he could easily tell that VH was dwindling with him at the helm. He had the balls to step aside. Im positive I read somewhere that the rest of the band were surprised by this move. They lost their contract, i believe, Gary left, not before. But I could be wrong on that. But Cat is right, the album, the tix sales, t shirts, media attention and all marketing was in the shits for the first time in VH history. It was natural to have him leave. But I remember Gary being interviewed saying "you could tell the fans felt cheated, some were chanting David while others just boo'd". Im gonna check MTV.com or VH1.com for that exact quote.

AndyChad
04-13-2004, 03:47 PM
You just have to watch the "Unchained" video from the VH3 tour, to realise how LOW VH have sunk...probably one of their best tunes and it looks and feels like a tour too far....hideous.

Big Troubles
04-13-2004, 03:59 PM
Ive never seen gary/van halen. I seen one video and almost puked. never seen live stuff. seen them on Howard Stern, where Gary said virtualy nothing and Ed wondered all over the place stoned out of his tree. I downloaded the VH3 album about 6 months ago now, and I cant get past the first tune. It just sucks.

AndyChad
04-13-2004, 04:08 PM
the video for unchained is at www.erruption.com, you've got to watch it to see how lame it is.

Big Troubles
04-13-2004, 04:11 PM
cool. thank you.

famac
04-13-2004, 04:16 PM
I always thought Gary's public pro-life letter to Eddie Vedder pissed off Valerie and she ordered Ed to give him the boot. It may have started there, anyway.

To me, it seems obvious that Gary was brought on after a David Lee Roth reunion fell apart. I mean, they released all of the remastered Roth material before the tour and they played all sorts of obscure Roh tunes like they had prepared a tour to do with him. Where were the Sammy remasters, after all.

Warner wanted Roth back, that's clear. VHIII flopping only solidified their thinking on the subject, and I think they said "it's Roth" or take a walk. So Eddie and Gary split, but Eddie can't stand the idea of having Roth back because it threatens his campaign to present himself as all that matters about Van Halen.

But in fact, Roth is a critical ingrediant in the Van Halen mix, and this will only be pounded home harder with Sammy's new contributions which are sure to be heavily conrolled by Eddie. We are headed for a VHIII repeat.

Regardless of what you think about Sammy, he won't be playing a dominant role this time. He had to agree to all of Eddie's terms to come back, and I'm sure most were of an artistic nature.

So if he's just a voice following instructions, it won't be much different than Gary.

I think we are about to see the same treatment of Sammy that Gary got. He's a bloated old stuck pig, and everyone but vhlinks wants Roth back, except for Van Heiniken who has a huge case of lead guitarist's disease..

Big Troubles
04-13-2004, 04:18 PM
I cant find it on that page. but is a good site either way. thanks.

AndyChad
04-13-2004, 04:38 PM
from the home page go to weekly video....then at the bottom of the list you will se unchained from Sydney

thefive
04-13-2004, 04:44 PM
I guess some people are interested in this thread.

thefive

Big Troubles
04-13-2004, 04:44 PM
cool. will do

thefive
04-13-2004, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Big Troubles
But I remember Gary being interviewed saying "you could tell the fans felt cheated, some were chanting David while others just boo'd". Im gonna check MTV.com or VH1.com for that exact quote.

Could you check on that bro thanks.
thefive

ELVIS
04-13-2004, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by thefive
I guess some people are interested in this thread.

thefive

They either have no lives.. or they are at work posting on message boards...

Which category do you fall into ??

Terry
04-13-2004, 05:19 PM
Gary admitted he had been in contact with Ed before the 1996 VMA's, so all the bullshit from the sisters about not having contacted Gary prior are just that, bullshit.

Am willing to wager part of the reason they said "fuck it" regarding a full-blown reunion with Dave was that they had Gary on the back burner as early as August of 1996.

Van Halen 3 didn't sell well, and had some bottom-scraping moments that almost made the Van Hagar era sound good (NewWorld, How Many Say I?.........content aside, most of the album has all the production value of a Fostex 4-track demo tape). But Fire In The Hole and Ballot or the Bullet at least demonstrated that the band wasn't totally asleep.

I think Gary knew going in that he wasn't going to be accepted, and he was definitely aware that people wanted to see Van Halen with Roth at the helm.

Fondling his own ass on that Live At The Ten Spot show was definitely not on, but Gary gets the nod for at least attempting material from the classic Van Halen catalog other than the only four tunes Red Cheese would ever do (Jump, Panama, Aint Talkin Bout Love, You Really Got Me). It was nice to know Ed could still play Unchained, Meanstreet, Romeo Delight and I'm The One, and the rest of the band could more or less keep up with him.

Far as what led to the November 1999 Cherone split, if it was pressure from Warner Brothers (am unsure when Van Halen was exactly dropped from the WB roster...was it 2000? And was VH let go from WB or was it mutual.....never clear on the facts about that), the failure of the Van Halen 3 lineup to go platinum, or just Gary realizing that even Roth would have an uphill struggle making saleable, quality music with EVH and Co by the turn of the millenium.......maybe a combination of all three.

DLR 1998 "I'm the fun in Van Halen. Always will be. Just as there will only be one Ali........as far as getting someone else to fill my shoes in Van Halen, well, you're welcome to keep trying!"

ELVIS
04-13-2004, 05:21 PM
See what I mean ??

Who gives a rats ass what Terry just said...

thefive
04-14-2004, 06:45 PM
hmmm:D

rikredbrain
04-14-2004, 11:18 PM
man i used to like extreme when i was young and foolish..... i thought get the funk out was the 'coolest' thing id ever heard..... then i found roth...... early halen..... bit of moterhead and the sex pistols..... never looked back..... van halen 3? worst thing V.H and Gary did.... (and that would be a mighty long list of crap to beat