PDA

View Full Version : Eds playing with Dave vs Fat Sam

pardo
04-13-2004, 10:25 AM
I have 1 word to describe the difference:

ATTITUDE!

Its what made the intro riff to House of Pain so killer. And the playing in DOA so incredible.

For the dipshits like LSD, I'll give an example. A simple and easily identifiable example. In Mean Street, after Dave says "Lord strike that poor boy down!". Listen the pick slide Ed does after that. If we were to ever witness the hand of God smite someone - thats what it'd sound like. And Daves lyrics (influence!) DEMANDED that Ed play with that kind of attitude.

Now if Sammie hadda given his typical "lets hold hands" BS lyrics, Eds playing woulda been all too polite.

Dave pushed Ed. Sammie held Ed back.

Cathedral
04-13-2004, 10:28 AM
Sammy reached between Ed's legs and massaged his ball sack while getting pumped in the rumper doo...that's all he held cause he never held a candle to Rothmatism.

Roth has Charasma, Hagar has Assma..............

Terry
04-13-2004, 05:32 PM
Take a good listen to Hot For Teacher, then listen to Source Of Infection off of 1988's OU812.

Less than 3 years after Roth's departure and Van Hagar were already resorting to ripping off classic Van Halen tunes.

Ed had intensity. He also had to play his ass off to compete for the attention when Roth was in the band. When Sammy joined, Ed became the focus by default because Sammy's singing, lyrics, and half-assed Rothisms onstage weren't attention grabbing.

All of that enabled Eddie to coast. He figured he had nothing left to prove.

I personally think Eddie shot his wad creatively as a guitarist and songwriter before Roth even left. Fair Warning was his apex, save for a few moments on Diver Down and 1984.