PDA

View Full Version : Dell to double its jobs in India

BigBadBrian
03-20-2006, 09:19 AM
Dell to double its jobs in India
Michael Dell says computer maker's workforce in that country will climb to 20,000 over next three years.
March 20, 2006: 8:52 AM EST

BANGALORE (Reuters) - Dell Inc., the world's top PC maker, plans to double its headcount in India over three years, its founder said Monday, but there was no word on the location of a planned manufacturing unit in the country.

"India produces over 200,000 engineers and we see that as an asset for our hardware and software activities," Chairman Michael Dell told reporters in India's technology capital, Bangalore.

Dell said its staff in India would rise to 20,000 over the next three years from about 10,000 now. Like General Electric and other multinationals, Dell has set up huge business process outsourcing units to tap India's vast pool of low-cost English-speaking workers.

Dell (Research) has used India as a base to serve global clients in recent years, but it now considers Asia's third-largest economy a growing market for desktops and laptops as demand for computers surges.

Research firm IDC expects the Indian computer market to grow at a compounded annual growth rate of 23 percent until 2010.

In India, Dell competes with multinationals such as Hewlett-Packard Co. (Research) and International Business Machines Corp. (Research) and local giants HCL Infosystems Ltd. and Wipro Ltd.

Dell, with about four percent of the Indian market, declined to give details on the upcoming PC manufacturing unit. But he added the firm was in discussions with various states for a suitable site and hoped to conclude talks fairly soon.

"The kind of investments that have occurred in China, Taiwan, Singapore, we would really like to see this in India," Dell said.

"One of the real threshold events will be for the government to essentially decide to establish an industrial policy to create capital intensive manufacturing."

SemIndia, a consortium of overseas Indians, recently announced plans to set up its semiconductor chip-fabrication unit in Hyderabad, with technology from America's Advanced Micro Devices Inc. (Research) The first phase of the project is to be implemented in three years' time with a $1 billion investment.

Paul-Henri Ferrand, Dell's vice president & general manager for South Asia, said the U.S. company's new Indian plant may even export to Eastern Europe depending on its capability.

"It might be more cost effective to export it from India than from Ireland or from China," he said.
Link (http://money.cnn.com/2006/03/20/news/companies/dell_india.reut/)

Nickdfresh
03-20-2006, 09:52 AM
DELL computers have basically turned to shit. They've been just coasting on their name and their customer service has fallen into the toilet...

frets5150
03-20-2006, 10:02 AM
AH That's just lovely I spent 9 Fuckin hrs on the phone with them not to long ago. 20 Min of that call was telling them my service tag #.I'm telling them it starts with C they say B...I say no C they say Z I say C they say E. Then after they get my service tag # I'm on hold for 25 min then they say sorry it's a software problem not a hardware problem.Then i keep going back and forth..FUCK DELL...:o

Cathedral
03-20-2006, 10:04 AM
I disagree with that assertion Senior Nickypoo...

I got my mother a DEll computer and the damn customer service, though difficult to understand, is anal retentive in making sure an issue is resolved.

My mother is always screwing something up and i've had to call them at least a dozen times in the last year and after they help me get shit straightened out they call back after 3 days to make sure things are running smooth...I can honestly say i have never seen such efficiency in customer service.

Does it make me forget the fact that the jobs were outsourced?
Not at all, but it's the system she wanted, and i know from experience and long distance phone bills that not one other damn company has ever impressed me like that.

All i spent was $699 for a bare bones system, but i have absolutely no complaints with them at all...and believe me, I am totally surprised by that.

BigBadBrian
03-20-2006, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Cathedral
I disagree with that assertion Senior Nickypoo...

I got my mother a DEll computer and the damn customer service, though difficult to understand, is anal retentive in making sure an issue is resolved.

My mother is always screwing something up and i've had to call them at least a dozen times in the last year and after they help me get shit straightened out they call back after 3 days to make sure things are running smooth...I can honestly say i have never seen such efficiency in customer service.

Does it make me forget the fact that the jobs were outsourced?
Not at all, but it's the system she wanted, and i know from experience and long distance phone bills that not one other damn company has ever impressed me like that.

All i spent was $699 for a bare bones system, but i have absolutely no complaints with them at all...and believe me, I am totally surprised by that.

Fine.

Now compare that to the auto industry and you get where I'm coming from. :mad:

Nickdfresh
03-20-2006, 10:15 AM
You can get a good computer (minus the advanced software) for around $500 in the store these days...

The DELL deals aren't what they were. Although, I've never had issues with my DELL, my parents had had nothing but issues with their DELL to the point it's almost non-functioning...

I'm gonna take a look at it this week though...

FORD
03-20-2006, 11:55 AM
Don't forget that Michael Dell is a close personal friend of the Chimp, so that implies BCE endorsement of this outsourcing.

And what will Americans get in return for these lost jobs?

Fucking "Indidan mangos". Monkey Boy said so himself when he was over there a couple weeks ago.

BigBadBrian
03-20-2006, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Don't forget that Michael Dell is a close personal friend of the Chimp, so that implies BCE endorsement of this outsourcing.

No, it does not. Whether or not he does or doesn't approve of this meausure, you can't make that assumption from this article.

But I forgot, you're rather used to making up conspiracy theories and other shit out of thin air, huh? :rolleyes:

Cathedral
03-20-2006, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
Fine.

Now compare that to the auto industry and you get where I'm coming from. :mad:

I totally get where you're coming from, and i'm with ya on the disgust factor.

I bought this computer in America, it was made in America, it shipped from Texas, and got here in 3 days.
I thought i was buying american, lol.

And Nick, I wouldn't have gotten this deal for $500 in any store.
I looked at the Wally World deals for $499 and they were all bottom shelf components with no software.
to get what i got from Dell anywhere else would have cost me an extra $300+.

Warham
03-20-2006, 03:51 PM
I've never had a problem with my Dell. I've had it almost two years, I think.

It's the best computer I've had since I had a Compaq from 1997-1999.

Cathedral
03-20-2006, 04:01 PM
The one i got for myself though, we'll not even talk about that one, tee hee. I needed some killer graphics and awesome clock speeds with the processor to run my simulators and lots and lots of RAM and drive space.

I still stayed under a grand on it, but just under a grand.

It's a $2,000 system easy and i got a 19' flat screen monitor with it.