• Show
Clear All
  • Cathedral
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    • Jan 2004

U.S.,Iraqi Forces Capture 50 Insurgents

By VANESSA ARRINGTON, Associated Press Writer
    36 minutes ago

BAGHDAD, Iraq - U.S. and Iraqi forces trapped dozens of insurgents Wednesday during a two-hour gunbattle at a police station south of Baghdad, a day after 100 masked gunmen stormed a jail near the Iranian border and freed more than 30 prisoners, most of them fellow insurgents.

Sixty gunmen, firing rocket-propelled grenades and automatic rifles, attacked the Madain police station before dawn, police Lt. Col. Falah al-Mohammadawi said. U.S. troops and a special Iraqi police unit responded, capturing 50 of the insurgents, including a Syrian, al-Mohammadawi said.

Four policemen, including one commander, were killed and five were wounded, he said. None of the attackers was killed.

Madain, about 14 miles southeast of Baghdad, is at the northern tip of Iraq's Sunni-dominated "Triangle of Death," a region rife with sectarian violence — retaliatory kidnappings and killings in the ongoing conflict between Sunnis and Shiites.

In a highly publicized episode last April, there were reports that Sunni militants had seized 100 Shiites and threatened to kill them unless all Shiites left the Madain area. Iraqi security forces swept into the region and found no hostages.

In the capital, roadside bombs that targeted police patrols wounded at least six policemen, including four who work as guards at the Education Ministry, police said. Gunmen in western Baghdad attacked a truck carrying Shiite Muslim pilgrims returning from a religious commemoration in the city of Karbala, killing one, police said. Ten were wounded.

Also early Wednesday, gunmen killed three civilians transporting bricks on a country road outside the city of Baqouba northeast of Baghdad, police said. A roadside bomb then exploded when a police patrol went to the site, wounding one officer, police said.

The body of a man wearing an Iraqi military uniform was delivered to a morgue in the southern city of Kut, a morgue official said. The man had been killed outside Madain, he said.

In the Tuesday attack in Muqdadiyah, about 100 gunmen cut phone wires and fired rocket-propelled grenades in a daring operation that freed 18 fellow insurgents who had been captured in police raids just two days earlier.

Police said 15 other captives were sprung in the assault on the Muqdadiyah lockup. Twenty Iraqi security men and at least 10 insurgents were killed in the attack.

In an Internet posting Tuesday night, the military wing of the Mujaheddin Shura Council, a militant Sunni Muslim insurgent group, purportedly claimed to have carried out the operation. The posting said the group killed "40 policemen, liberated 33 prisoners and captured weapons." The claim was posted on the Iraqi News Web site and could not be independently verified.

With the telephone lines cut, the insurgents had 90 minutes to battle their way into the law enforcement compound before police reinforcements showed up from the nearby villages of Wajihiyah and Abu Saida, police said.

Muqdadiyah, on the eastern fringe of the Sunni Triangle north of Baghdad, is about 25 miles from the Iranian border.

By the time the insurgents fled, taking away the bodies of many of their dead compatriots, nearly two dozen cars were shot up and set on fire and the jail was a charred mass of twisted bunk bed frames and smoldering mattresses.

U.S. helicopters were in the air above the jail after the insurgents had fled. Police said there was firing into the air by residents, but it was not clear if the American aircraft were the targets. None was hit.

The insurgents whose incarceration apparently prompted the assault were detained Sunday during raids by security forces in the nearby villages of Sansal and Arab, police said.

Both U.S. and Iraqi military officials had said last year that the area was no longer an insurgent stronghold, but Tuesday's attack showed the militants still could assemble a large force, capable of operating in the region virtually at will.

The insurgency's strength, spiraling sectarian violence and the continuing stalemate over forming a government in Iraq have led politicians and foreign policy experts to say Iraq was on the brink or perhaps in the midst of civil war.

With an increasing number of Americans calling for a pullout of U.S. forces regardless of the consequences for Iraq, a powerful group of U.S. senators met with interim Prime Minister Ibrahim al-Jaafari on Tuesday to discuss prospects for formation of a national unity government.

The Bush administration views that step as all-important in establishing peace and opening the way for the start of a U.S. troop withdrawal as early as this summer.

Al-Jaafari said he believed Iraq's most difficult political hurdles had been crossed and predicted a new government would be ready in the coming weeks.

"I hope that the formation of the new government does not last beyond April," al-Jaafari said after the meeting.

Sen. Carl Levin (news, bio, voting record) of Michigan, ranking Democrat on the Senate Armed Services Committee, said: "April is fine, but it is necessary that this commitment be kept in order for there to be continued support for the presence of American troops in Iraq."

The committee chairman, Sen. John Warner (news, bio, voting record), a Virginia Republican, said decisions on the U.S. troop presence would be made not only by Bush, Congress and other leaders, but also by the American people — a seeming allusion to declining U.S. popular support for the Iraq war.

Most mainstream Iraqi politicians do not want the United States to withdraw troops until the insurgency is defeated, although some more radical leaders, like firebrand Shiite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr, demand an immediate pullout.

In other violence Tuesday, a U.S. soldier with the 4th Infantry Division was killed by small-arms fire while patrolling the streets of western Baghdad, the military reported. At least 2,315 members of the U.S. military have died since the beginning of the Iraq war in March 2003, according to an Associated Press count.
  • Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Damn! I wish I could merge threads...

Comment

• Hardrock69
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Feb 2005

Most mainstream Iraqi politicians do not want the United States to withdraw troops until the insurgency is defeated, although some more radical leaders, like firebrand Shiite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr, demand an immediate pullout.
      The insurgency will NEVER be defeated.
      To even think that is an act of retarded stoopid-ity.

They have only been murdering each other over there for 5,000 years or more.

No way they are going to stop their favorite pastime.

We have been there long enough to remove Saddamite and his fucktard klowns.

Once Saddamite has his neck stretched or his brains blown out by guns or cut off by swords, we will have no valid reason for being there.

Removing him was the only somewhat valid excuse Chimpy had for going over there to begin with.

Let the Iraqis find there own way.

We have more pressing problems at home.

Comment

• Hardrock69
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Feb 2005

Ugh...dupe post.

This fucking board sometimes quits uploading my posts.

Then when I try to upload again, I find it actually did, but just did not automatically refresh the page after the fact.
        Last edited by Hardrock69; 03-22-2006, 02:19 PM.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jul 2004

Just outta curiosity......

How does one KNOW who is an "insurgent", and who is a freedom loving Iraqi?

Wrong place, wrong time, and poof

It's off to Gitmo.

No trial
          No due process

Freedom's on the March
          Originally posted by Kristy
          Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
          Originally posted by cadaverdog
          I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• diamondD
            Veteran
            • Jan 2004

Just out of curiousity, do you just hate to hear anything positive coming out of Iraq?
            Meet us in the future, not the pasture

Comment

• Warham
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Mar 2004

All liberals hate to hear anything positive, period. Not just out of Iraq, but out of their own country.

Comment

• FORD
                ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Warham
                All liberals hate to hear anything positive, period. Not just out of Iraq, but out of their own country.
                Let me know when something positive happens, because it's been about 5 1/2 years since I can remember any.......
                Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jul 2004

You do know when you make blanket generalizations like this it just perpetuates the rep you have in here, right?

You're wrong.

But it doesn't matter, because you'd never admit it anyway.

never.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jul 2004

Originally posted by diamondD
                    Just out of curiousity, do you just hate to hear anything positive coming out of Iraq?

No.

But since Rummy's "propoganda machine" was uncovered earlier, I don't take on face value any "good news"

And how sad that this is considered "positive" news at this point.

My how we've lowered the bar

Comment

• Warham
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Mar 2004

Well, of course it isn't positive news to you. You don't want us to do well over there. Let's be honest, shall we?

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jul 2004

Well, of course it isn't positive news to you. You don't want us to do well over there. Let's be honest, shall we?
                        Bullshit.

One, I didnt want us over there to begin with

Two, If we went, I wanted it done right, which it wasnt

Three, we are serving no purpose there now 3 years later

Other than "shock and awe", what have we "done well" over there???

Finding wmds?

Torture?

Rebuilding infrastructure?

Winning the hearts and minds?

Losing BILLIONS in contractor CASH

Tell me smartass.... What have we done well?

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jul 2004

Let's be honest, shall we?
                          Okay.

You first

Comment

• Warham
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Mar 2004

Liberals think that since most of the troops over there are torturers and murderers and terrorists, it's OK to berate them.

"And there is no reason, Bob, that young American soldiers need to be going into the homes of Iraqis in the dead of night, terrorizing kids and children, you know, women, breaking sort of the customs of the--of--the historical customs, religious customs."

"If I read this to you and did not tell you that it was an FBI agent describing what Americans had done to prisoners in their control, you would most certainly believe this must have been done by Nazis, Soviets in their gulags, or some mad regime - Pol Pot or others - that had no concern for human beings."
                            Last edited by Warham; 03-22-2006, 05:00 PM.

Comment

• BigBadBrian
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Jan 2004

Liberals think that since most of the troops over there are torturers and murderers and terrorists, it's OK to berate them.

Exactly.

They don't hesitate to post US Military Investigating Iraqi Civilian Killings, threads with photos of Abu Gharaib every chance they get, all in an effort to paint ALL US TROOPS with a broad brush as killers and rapists.

“If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

Working...