PDA

View Full Version : David Lee Roth's next album

thefive
04-14-2004, 02:40 AM
I hope it comes out soon. If Dave does a cover I think he should do Foghats song SLOW RIDE.

thefive

ALMOSTsaved
04-14-2004, 09:25 AM
I think Dave should put out an album of angry originals a la "Fair Warning."

If he does indeed record a cover, Kinks songs have always done him well. He should go for "All Of The Day."

On a sidenote, I've always thought that either Dave or Ace Frehley would do a fucking smokin' cover of Sweet's "Fox On The Run."

Just my take.

Big Troubles
04-14-2004, 09:29 AM
and think we would all agree that Dave should at least put out an album filled with originals. Cover's? I dunno. I think he's done his share really. Id like another EEAS type cd. Agressive and poppin' like Yankee Rose ya know?

ELVIS
04-14-2004, 09:35 AM
Slow Ride ??

No way!

C'mon five...:rolleyes:

Big Troubles
04-14-2004, 09:38 AM
yeah slow ride doesn't sound right for Dave. I like the song but for Dave? I dunno. same with Fox on the Run. great tune, but not for Dave.

lets just start a thread. "What cover song should Dave have on his next album?" :D

ALMOSTsaved
04-14-2004, 09:48 AM
Yeah, you're probably right. But, I could DEFINITELY hear Ace on that tune.

Hmmm...Dave cover tune, I still stand by "All Of The Day."

Perhaps even a stretch, given the right guitarist, Dave could do "Bridge of Sighs"...James Dewar had such a soulful voice, and Dave could defnintely pull it off.

ELVIS
04-14-2004, 09:50 AM
Ace...:rolleyes:

ALMOSTsaved
04-14-2004, 09:54 AM
Ace WAS KISS....Gene and Paul should quit now.

ALMOSTsaved
04-14-2004, 10:02 AM
However, let's please not turn this into a KISS thread.

bru87tr
04-14-2004, 10:03 AM
first he needs a guitarist. how about Vito Bratta from White Lion ?

he already has James Lomenzo from Whit Lion , James is still good friends with Vito and here he wants to play again. be a good match if you ask me. ala EVH!

L.S.D.
04-14-2004, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by ALMOSTsaved
I think Dave should put out an album of angry originals a la "Fair Warning."

If he does indeed record a cover, Kinks songs have always done him well. He should go for "All Of The Day."

On a sidenote, I've always thought that either Dave or Ace Frehley would do a fucking smokin' cover of Sweet's "Fox On The Run."

Just my take.

Yeah except Fair Warning was written by Eddie.

Big Troubles
04-14-2004, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by L.S.D.
Yeah except Fair Warning was written by Eddie.

no dick. you have your facts wrong again. Ed wrote music and very few of any lyrics. Ed was the "go to guy" when they needed something to rhyme. "Hey Ed, what rhymes with Orange?" "Uh uh uh...Orange?" Gee thanks Ed. "Hey Ed..we need something that rhymes with silver." hmm...Uh...Oh I know...no wait...Uh...Hey how about Silver". Great. Thanks Ed. ;) Its common knowledge that Dave wrote most if not all of the bands success songs.

Frink
04-14-2004, 11:10 AM
I think Roth needs to do more of a Henry Rollins deal and just do a bunch of speaking dates, spoken word, what have you. He doesn't need to do a comedy routine, but I'd like to see the guy just blab for a couple of hours about whatever, you know?

Hell, have Henry and David do a spoken word tour together. That would be fuckin killer.

ALMOSTsaved
04-14-2004, 11:55 AM
Why would anyone who "claims" to be such a Van Halen fan think for one second that Ed was repsonsible for lyrics? I grew up on Van Halen...but I also grew up knowing that the singer was the lyricist.

GAR
04-14-2004, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Big Troubles
Its common knowledge that Dave wrote most if not all of the bands success songs.

Seems my memory serves up the image of the "Billboard Weekly Progress" charts as credited to "Van Halen (Alex, Michael, Dave, Edward)" like that - in equal share. Doesn't matter what album - go check the original scans on PDF file, or the magazine if you got one.

.. if I'm not mistaken. Cuz I'm not.

I'm assuming they shared credit for the writing because songs were written together in a live setting because of course, I wasn't there - I'm just guessing the motive.

Everyone fucking knows however that the humor is totally vacant in that band's lyrics since Dave vacated - that's enough evidence for me to assume Roth wrote all the lyrics alone, so that's what I'll go with and my reasoning FOR same.

L.S.D.
04-14-2004, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Big Troubles
no dick. you have your facts wrong again. Ed wrote music and very few of any lyrics. Ed was the "go to guy" when they needed something to rhyme. "Hey Ed, what rhymes with Orange?" "Uh uh uh...Orange?" Gee thanks Ed. "Hey Ed..we need something that rhymes with silver." hmm...Uh...Oh I know...no wait...Uh...Hey how about Silver". Great. Thanks Ed. ;) Its common knowledge that Dave wrote most if not all of the bands success songs.

Eddie ALWAYS wrote the music. Are you fucking kidding me?

L.S.D.
04-14-2004, 12:41 PM
And I wasnt talking about lyrics, I was talking about the music, which is what's important, not "sahabby doo bahh"...i

thefive
04-14-2004, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
Slow Ride ??

No way!

I just wanted to start a thread that was titled David.Well actually I started like 5 threads starting with David. I got tired of the Ed, Sam and Van Hagar titled threads.

thefive

DLR_EngineRoom
04-14-2004, 02:12 PM
Ace WAS KISS....Gene and Paul should quit now.

KISS = K.iss I.s S.tanley S.immons

Frehley is a drunken, angry, has-been stoner.

Thank gawd Stanley/Simmons had the 'heads' for business, creativity, musicianship and unity for bringing KISS where it is today.

If KISS was left in the hands of Criss/Frehley, I'm positive that we wouldn't have heard anything after KISS Alive II.

L.S.D.
04-14-2004, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by DLR_EngineRoom
Frehley is a drunken, angry, has-been stoner.

Thank gawd Stanley/Simmons had the 'heads' for business, creativity, musicianship and unity for bringing KISS where it is today.

If KISS was left in the hands of Criss/Frehley, I'm positive that we wouldn't have heard anything after KISS Alive II.

Which wouldve been good becuase they havent released anything good since 1977.

Big Troubles
04-14-2004, 02:35 PM
And I wasnt talking about lyrics, I was talking about the music, which is what's important, not "sahabby doo bahh"...i

You said "yeah except Fair Warning was written by Edward"??? Im not blind. I see fine fuck face. So yes I assumed when you said Fair Warning, you meant lyrics, as you did say WRITTEN. And again, as we all know Dave wrote most of the lyrics and equally shared the rights to each and every album. But I do agree. Fair Warning was awesome, top to bottom, it places 3rd on my list for all time fav's. Maybe next time you say something you should be more clear. Or maybe next time you can just "slide under Gas Truck and drink your own blood you dumb fuck". Whatever works for ya. :D

Big Troubles
04-14-2004, 02:44 PM
Now how's about a big kiss from your Momma LSD.

tjvhou812
04-14-2004, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by thefive
I hope it comes out soon. If Dave does a cover I think he should do Foghats song SLOW RIDE.

thefive

fuck the covers...he needs to put out a kick ass original cd like he did back in 86....i wanna hear new shit, not somebody elses shit

ALMOSTsaved
04-14-2004, 02:59 PM
Even EEAS smile had covers, but the fucking album flowed from top to bottom.

tjvhou812
04-14-2004, 03:04 PM
Even EEAS smile had covers, but the fucking album flowed from top to bottom.

thats becuase it was an original sound from dave, but now he's got people in his band that sound like vh did back in the day

ALMOSTsaved
04-14-2004, 03:12 PM
Hmmm...I kinda like Dave with original sound. Brian's a great guitarist. However, I'm not sold on his "sound."

tjvhou812
04-14-2004, 03:16 PM
Hmmm...I kinda like Dave with original sound. Brian's a great guitarist. However, I'm not sold on his "sound."

he dont have a sound he uses eddie's

ALMOSTsaved
04-14-2004, 03:57 PM
Yeah...but it's not quite "brown" enough.

DLR_EngineRoom
04-14-2004, 04:33 PM
Which wouldve been good becuase they havent released anything good since 1977.

Oh please! KISS wouldn't have made it past Alive I if it weren't for Stanley/Simmons! Dude, for a guy that doesn't like Roth-era Halen or KISS, are you sure you're not on the wrong fansite?

thefive
04-14-2004, 04:51 PM
My point on this thread was not if Dave does a cover or not on his next album.

thefive

Big Troubles
04-14-2004, 04:52 PM
I think LSD is still crying about George Michaels getting caught in the New York washroom with his pants down. Hey maybe Wham! will regroup and Hina and LSD will finally leave this site! Yay! :lol:

thefive
04-14-2004, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
Slow Ride ??

No way!

Dave can make any song sound good. Before he did soul kitchen did you think Dave could do the Doors good?

Slow ride is a very very cool song.

thefive

Wayne L.
04-14-2004, 04:57 PM
I think Dave could possibly release a retrospective live album of his tours as a solo artist from 86/02 along with a possible DVD as his next release which could be a reality.

Terry
04-14-2004, 05:22 PM
Dave should forgo the cover tunes on his next album.

He needs to return to the unaplogetic, roaring big rock form with an album of quality material.

The DLR Band album was a step in that direction.

Diamond Dave was, at best, an inspired misfire with some filler tracks that rank right up there with How Many Say I in terms of the shouldn't-have-been-released-in-the-first-place factor.

But if Dave's gonna keep touring with this year's model of the Van Halen tribute band behind him and lean way too heavily on the same classic Van Halen tunes he's been doing for the last 5 years (his setlist has been essentially the same since 1999), then why even bother putting out another studio release?

The DLR Band was a killer album, and the only tune to get a live airing was Slam Dunk!

rikredbrain
04-14-2004, 11:13 PM
corect me if im wrong but was dave not responsible for the 'melody' as well as the lyric in the vocals?.... which would mean his contributions shaped the songs more than the guitar playing.... licks fills and leads are well and good but with out a solid melody the song will be shite.

Rubnose
04-14-2004, 11:22 PM
Dave needs to do a follow up to the DLR Band album. This time with financial backing.

No more covers please. He just did that and look how well that went over.

rikredbrain
04-14-2004, 11:27 PM
The man should think about goin into heavy blues with a smattering of old time jazz.... id love to see him do that...
his voice in my all time top D.L.R tune 'sensible shoes tells me that