PDA

View Full Version : Is Celesian making their speakers in China now instead of England?

Nitro Express
04-03-2006, 05:43 AM
I'm tired of paying a high price to only find out that the company has outsourced production to China but still feels it can charge the same high price because of the brandname.

Just because fashion designers get away with it doesn't mean I'm falling for it when it comes to things like speakers.

Someone told me some of the Celesian speakers are now being manufactured in China instead of the UK. If this is the case, is it better to go with Eminance or another manufacture? I'm not paying a Made in England price for a Chinese import.

ELVIS
04-03-2006, 10:29 PM
It's true...

BrownSound1
04-03-2006, 10:56 PM
The Heritage edition, and some of their more expensive speakers are still made in England. The Reissue series are made in China. I highly recommend the Heritage edition G12H30 and the 25watt Greenback. (Yes I know that they both were Greenbacks originally) They've got THE sound. The Reissues aren't terrible though, regardless if they're made in China or not.

Weber speakers is another company to try out. I hear good things about them.

GAR
04-04-2006, 01:51 AM
I get these for under four dollars USD, the same ones also used by Carvin except for some reason Carvin ain't using them no more.

Because the factory gets lazy and fucks them up if you ain't looking.

BrownSound1
04-04-2006, 03:27 AM
4 bucks a speaker? And you're talking Celestions?

Geezus Gar, who'd you blow to get a deal like that? :D

Nitro Express
04-04-2006, 04:23 AM
I made a 1x12 cab in the early 90's and I put a Carvin 1x12 speaker in it. It was their Classic series or something like that. They also had a British speaker. No complaint's at all and in fact, I used that speaker tonight. I just run it with a Sovtek Mig 50 amp. It's basically my bedroom practice amp.

I'm looking for some decent speakers to put in an old Marshall 4x12 from the early 80's. I got the box cheap with no speakers. I probably will be pushing it with a 50 watt head and am just looking for a good classic rock sound. I always thought the 25 watt greenbacks sounded better with a non-master volume amp and the higher rated speakers sounded better with a high gain amp.

GAR
04-04-2006, 05:05 AM
Quantity purchasing BS1 wholesale cost.

BrownSound1
04-04-2006, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Nitro Express
I made a 1x12 cab in the early 90's and I put a Carvin 1x12 speaker in it. It was their Classic series or something like that. They also had a British speaker. No complaint's at all and in fact, I used that speaker tonight. I just run it with a Sovtek Mig 50 amp. It's basically my bedroom practice amp.

I'm looking for some decent speakers to put in an old Marshall 4x12 from the early 80's. I got the box cheap with no speakers. I probably will be pushing it with a 50 watt head and am just looking for a good classic rock sound. I always thought the 25 watt greenbacks sounded better with a non-master volume amp and the higher rated speakers sounded better with a high gain amp.

Hard to go wrong with the Greenbacks, except for their power handling. A 100 watter wide open, is actually producing in the area of 140 to 150 watts...which is much more than a 4X12 of 25 watters can handle for very long. I recommend that people use an attenuator when using a 100 watt head with the 25 watters. You can attenuate just enough that your tone won't suffer, but still save the speakers from getting slammed. The G12H30 in a 4x12 will give you 120 watts, so their a little more hardy. Tone is slightly different, but they're just as classic as the 25s are.

I've got a friend who plays a TSL, and he uses a TV cab loaded with 25 watt Greenbacks. Certainly warmed that amp up, and it is definitely a high-gain amp. Sounded a hell of a lot better than a cab with G12T75s, but I know a lot of folks swear by those speakers too. Just not my cup of tea. I don't like Vintage 30s either.

BrownSound1
04-04-2006, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by GAR
Quantity purchasing BS1 wholesale cost.

I'm glad you can afford to do that. LOL Wish I could.

GAR
04-05-2006, 03:42 AM
Im saying, that's the cost, not that I'm in a position to buy even at that price - right now anyways.

Carvin sells em for $20, or did at least.

Nitro Express
04-05-2006, 03:50 AM
Yeah, that's why I like to run a 50 watt head with those greenbacks. I usually don't dime the amp either. I have found a good fuzz box or a DOD 250 does the trick.

What's funny is I just kind of discovered the DOD 250 on my own after trying a bunch of overdrive and distortion peddles. Then I come to find Yngwie Malmsteen discovred the same thing years ago and preffers 50 watt heads.

I've seen people blow their greenbacks just trying out a new amp. They get to turning the knobs and forget their cab isn't rated for that 120 watt high gain monster they just plugged into it.

GAR
04-05-2006, 03:58 AM
25 watt rated speakers are usually good for double that power rating under peak loads so you'd need two for a 50 watter or four for a 100 watt top.

Nitro Express
04-06-2006, 03:04 PM
Just don't step on a Big Muff with the level dimed. I saw a dude blow his preciouse speakers that way. His little boy liked to play with the knobs of his effects, so they were always screwed up and he hit the Big Muff and you could just hear the speaker pop.

Blackflag
04-06-2006, 06:35 PM
Dig it - I bought a speaker recently for a cab I got... the guy wanted $5 for it, because it was old and had no label.

It just had an olive green back that said 'made in england' on it.

So I paid him $5. Yes, one of the original Greenbacks.

Roy Munson
04-07-2006, 10:54 AM
I was playing my '72 Superlead through my '74 4x12 cab with original Creambacks with 1221 frames WIDE OPEN. Boom. 3 of those old 25-watters went kapoof!

Luckily, I have a hook-up and was able to get Ted Weber to recone them even though he doesn't do many recones anymore. They sound BETTER than they did before they blew!!

Hardrock69
04-07-2006, 11:31 AM
Celesians...LOL...