PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Flag Banned Amid Racial Tensions

BigBadBrian
04-04-2006, 09:05 AM
U.S. Flag Banned Amid Racial Tensions

LONGMONT, Colo. (April 1) - Dozens of high school students protested a temporary school policy forbidding students from displaying the U.S. flag - as well as flags from other countries - amid racial tensions following immigration rallies.

http://cdn.news.aol.com/aolnews_photos/03/07/20060401123709990020

Skyline High School Principal Tom Stumpf said American flags were brazenly waved in the faces of Hispanic students and in one case a Mexican flag was thrown into the face of another student.

"When it involves the American flag and its abuse in vilifying other people, we simply will not tolerate it," Stumpf said. "They were using the symbol derisively as misguided patriotism."

Students were warned about the policy Friday and several were suspended, although Stumpf would not provide details. Then, about 100 students protested during lunch time.

Student Dustin Carlson told Denver station KCNC-TV that he was suspended for two days.

"I'm getting suspended for it and personally I think that's uncalled for," he said. "If this country means freedom, then why can't we fly our own flag? It's ridiculous."

Thousands of high school students Friday in California, Texas, Nevada and other states protested the tough immigration laws proposed in the House. Some waved Mexican flags and carried signs saying "We are not criminals."

On Monday, about 150 high school students, including some from Skyline, protested in Longmont.

"People are taking it to a whole other level," said Laura Avitia. "I don't think they know why we were protesting."

Link (http://articles.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20060401045009990014&ncid=NWS00010000000001)

ULTRAMAN VH
04-04-2006, 10:09 AM
The article forgot to mention the burning of the American Flag by protesters. I don't recall any punishment for that behavior???

FORD
04-04-2006, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by ULTRAMAN VH
The article forgot to mention the burning of the American Flag by protesters. I don't recall any punishment for that behavior???

Flag burning is constitutionally protected freedom of speech. At least to what ever extent you believe the constitution still exists under this oppressive BCE dictatorship.

ULTRAMAN VH
04-04-2006, 11:04 AM
Then why are these students being suspended for waving the American flag??? Sounds like their freedom is being abused also.

FORD
04-04-2006, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by ULTRAMAN VH
Then why are these students being suspended for waving the American flag??? Sounds like their freedom is being abused also.

I would agree, except for the "waving it in their face" or "throwing the flag at them" parts. That would probably border on assault, or at least harrassment. (Matt, feel free to jump in here with the legal shit)

ULTRAMAN VH
04-04-2006, 11:36 AM
The report stated a Mexican flag was thrown into the face of a student. Was the student Hispanic or American??? sounds kind of vague to me. As far as waving the American flag brazenly in front of hispanics, sorry no laws broken there. I do recall 500,000 illegal aliens and their tool protesters, brazenly waving their Mexican flags just a few days ago.