FORD
04-04-2006, 10:42 AM
Chávez seeks to peg oil at $50 a barrel

ˇ Price could see Venezuela producing for 200 years
ˇ Country's reserves may exceed Saudi Arabia's

Mark Milner
Monday April 3, 2006
The Guardian

Venezuelan president Hugo Chávez is poised to launch a bid to transform the global politics of oil by seeking a deal with consumer countries which would lock in a price of $50 a barrel.

A long-term agreement at that price could allow Venezuela to count its huge deposits of heavy crude as part of its official reserves, which Caracas says would give it more oil than Saudi Arabia.

"We have the largest oil reserves in the world, we have oil for 200 years." Mr Chávez told the BBC's Newsnight programme in an interview to be broadcast tonight. "$50 a barrel - that's a fair price, not a high price."

The price proposed by Mr Chávez is about $15 a barrel below the current global level but a credible long-term agreement at about $50 a barrel could have huge implications for Venezuela's standing in the international oil community.

According to US sources, Venezuela holds 90% of the world's extra heavy crude oil - deposits which have to be turned into synthetic light crude before they can be refined and which only become economic to operate with the oil price at about $40 a barrel. Newsnight cites a report from the US Energy Information Administrator, Guy Caruso, suggesting Venezuela could have more than a trillion barrels of reserves.

A $50-a-barrel lock-in would open the way for Venezuela, already the world's fifth-largest oil exporter, to demand a huge increase in its official oil reserves - allowing it to demand a big increase in its production allowance within Opec.

Venezuela's oil minister Raphael Ramirez told Newsnight in a separate interview that his country plans to ask Opec to formally recognise the uprating of its reserves to 312bn barrels (compared to Saudi Arabia's 262bn) when Mr Chávez hosts a gathering of Opec delegates in Caracas next month.

Venezuela's ambitious strategy to boost its standing in the global pecking order of oil producers by increasing the extent of its officially recognised reserves is likely to face opposition. Some countries will oppose the idea of a fixed price for the global oil market at well below existing levels. Others are unlikely to be happy with any diminution of their influence over world oil prices in favour of Venezuela.

Caracas's hopes for an increase in its standing would be a far cry from the days when Mr Chávez came to power after years of quota-busting during which Venezuela helped to keep oil prices down. "Seven years ago Venezuela was a US oil colony," said Mr Chávez.

As he seeks to bolster his country's standing on the world stage, the Venezuelan president has also introduced radical changes to the domestic oil industry. Last Friday his government announced that 17 oil companies had agreed to changes which will see 32 operating agreements become 30 joint ventures that will give the government greater say over the country's oil industry.

The original deals were signed in the 1990s as part of a drive to attract more investment into the country's oil industry. However Mr Chávez said the deals gave foreign companies too much and the government too little. Under the new arrangements state-run Petroleos de Venezuela will hold 60% of the joint ventures. "Now we are associates and this commits us to much more ... it's no longer a contract for doing a service, it's a strategic alliance," Mr Chávez told the companies that signed up.

The new arrangements were not universally welcomed by the oil companies. Exxon Mobil and the Italian energy company Eni have refused to sign up to the new arrangements.

Mr Chávez, a former paratrooper who has survived several attempts to oust him and who faces re-election in December, regards Venezuela's oil revenues as crucial to his plans to fight poverty. Critics accuse him of squandering the country's oil wealth on improvised social programmes.

The Venezuelan president used the Newsnight interview to attack the role of the International Monetary Fund in Latin America, where it has a reputation for pushing market-based reforms as the price of its help to countries struggling with their finances.

The Chávez government has helped a number of countries, including buying Argentinian and Ecuadorean bonds, with Mr Chávez arguing that he would like to see the IMF replaced by an International Humanitarian Fund.

Backstory

Hugo Chávez was born in 1954. The former paratroop colonel first came to prominence after a failed coup in 1992, for which he was jailed for two years. He was elected president of Venezuela in 1998, launching a social programme known as Bolivarianism, after the revolutionary Simón Bolívar, and reversing planned privatisations. In 2002 he survived a coup attempt and, two years later, a bid to unseat him in a referendum. He has close links with Cuba's Fidel Castro and has frequently clashed with the United States.

Link (http://business.guardian.co.uk/story/0,,1745467,00.html#article_continue)

Guitar Shark
04-04-2006, 10:55 AM
I believe Venezuela sells about 20% of its oil to the U.S.

EAT MY ASSHOLE
04-04-2006, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Guitar Shark
I believe Venezuela sells about 20% of its oil to the U.S.

And 100% of their prepubescent boys to FORD!!!

Guitar Shark
04-04-2006, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
And 100% of their prepubescent boys to FORD!!!

And you know this because........ ?

FORD
04-04-2006, 11:10 AM

Joe Thunder told him so in bed last night.

EAT MY ASSHOLE
04-04-2006, 11:11 AM

google "FORD - dildos - venezuelan honeymoon - coke binge".

Guitar Shark
04-04-2006, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
google "FORD - dildos - venezuelan honeymoon - coke binge".

LMFAO!

bastardog
04-04-2006, 11:36 AM
Do you think Venezuela could ever be a prominent country on the Americas?
I mean a country that can have the same voice to te world as USA or Canada

WACF
04-04-2006, 11:44 AM
There is no need for oil to be as high as it is right now.

But, can he really lock in for a lower price with consumer countries?
I do not think that is allowable with OPEC...I may be wrong.
Really, I think oil producing countries should be able to set a price...why can there not be some competition among producers?

EAT MY ASSHOLE
04-04-2006, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by WACF

Really, I think oil producing countries should be able to set a price...why can there not be some competition among producers?

Oil shold be far MORE expensive than it is, at least in this country. Other countries pay far more per barrel, and have heavier taxes to boot.

FORD
04-04-2006, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by WACF

Because Venezuela has such a large oil reserve, they carry a lot of weight in OPEC. This is why the BCE has already attempted 2 coups against the popularly elected Chavez government. The BCE and their friends in the Big 5 Oil Companies have effective control of the prices in the current market, because they're in bed with the Saudi's who are the largest producers of oil. Iraq used to be #2, and it's now a BCE puppet state. Venezeula is about the only one in position to counter their greed, and thank God they're doing so.

But that said, Chavez better watch his ass, because they'll be looking for a way to bring him down and replace him with a puppet who will play the oil game their way.

BUY CITGO GAS!! (Do they have that in Canada?)

WACF
04-04-2006, 04:01 PM
CITGO....not where I live.

We've got the usual suspects....ESSO, Petro-Can, Shell, Husky...then some others but in the end it all comes the upgraders the big guys operate.

Hardrock69
04-04-2006, 04:35 PM
Bashing Chavez
At The NY Times
How Dare He Do Good With His Oil Revenues!

By Dave Lindorff
4-4-6

What do you call a nation that provides medical aid to desperately poor people in Mexico, heating assistance to low-income families in the U.S., crucial project financing to some of the poorest countries in Africa, and aid to impoverished Caribbean island nations?

If you're the New York Times, you call it "provocative," and you call the leader of that country "the next Fidel Castro."

Venezuela, under President Hugo Chavez, has been turning its increasingly valuable oil reserves into an engine for development, not just in Venezuela, where the revenues are being used to finance schools, housing and job creation for the nation's long-suffering and long-ignored poor, but also across Latin America, in the process creating a new model for Latin America--one which challenges the imperial domination of the United States.

In an April 4 page one article that reeks of Cold War rhetoric, Timesman Juan Forero warns that with Venezuela's oil revenues rising 32 percent last year, Venezuela's foreign aid spending "now surpasses the nearly $2 billion Washington allocates annually to pay for development programs and the drug war in western South America." (The drug war is foreign aid?)

Quoting only Chavez critics--both political opponents within Venezuela, and U.S. government and right-wing think tank members in the U.S.--Forero paints an ominous picture of a budding threat to U.S. influence in the Americas.

The most appalling quote comes from John Negroponte, the overall director of intelligence operations in the U.S., and a man with a long history of meddling in the affairs of, and indeed subverting the governments of nations in Latin America. Mr. Chavez is "spending considerable sums involving himself in the political and economic life of other countries in Latin America and elsewhere, this despite the very real economic development and social needs of his own country," Negroponte is quoted as telling Forero.

This from an official of a nation that has so far wasted $500 billion destroying a nation in the middle east, that is making preparations for going to war against yet another nation in the middle east, that has subverted nations from the Tierra del Fuego to the Yucatan, including Venezuela, and that, it must be noted, has been for years ignoring "very real economic development and social needs" inside its own borders.

Given the fact that no one has accused Chavez of any of the kind of subversive or heavy-handed pressure of the kind for which the U.S. has become notorious--only of providing much needed financial aid to less fortunate countries--what exactly is so awful about a an oil-rich country like Venezuela spreading the wealth?

The only negative things Forero can seem to come up with are that Chavez has been derisive of President Bush, referring to him in speeches as a "donkey," "drunkard" and "coward," and that right-wing critics have accused him of "mismanagement" and "populist decadence." Heck, Bush faces worse invective than that at home.

Even the comparisons between Chavez--the twice-elected and hugely popular leader of Venezuela--and Castro, the aging dictator of Cuba--are tendentious at best. Cuba, desperately poor and the victim of decades of U.S. trade embargo and subversion policies, has admittedly on occasion offered at least rhetorical support for anti-U.S. rebels, as in El Salvador and Nicaragua. Chavez, while openly espousing anti-imperialist views and seeking to challenge U.S. dominance in Latin America, has never been accused of fomenting rebellion in the region. Indeed, if there is anything about Castro's Cuba that Venezuela under Chavez has been emulating it has been Cuba's commendable practice of furnishing of doctors and teachers to needy regions of Latin America.

Would that the U.S. would engage in more of this kind of "influence peddling," and less of the kind that involves arms sales, military bases and the training of secret police in the fine art of torture.

Imagine a Latin America where the U.S. and Venezuela vied in seeing who could provide more doctors for the peasants of Guatemala and Brazil, or who could provide lower-interest loans for water projects in Bolivia or Ecuador. Imagine, for that matter, a Philadelphia where poor people didn't have to depend upon handouts of cheap oil from Venezuela to keep their apartments warm through the winter because of federal cuts in heating oil assistance programs.

Imagine, while we're at it, a New York Times that could write a front page article about the wasteful militarism of America's increasingly dictatorial President George W. Bush, juxtaposed against the unmet "economic development and social needs of his own country."

http://thiscantbehappening.net/

FORD
04-05-2006, 01:19 AM
Chavez really needs to stop calling Bush a "donkey". Somebody might think the Chimp's a Democrat :(

bastardog
04-05-2006, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Chavez really needs to stop calling Bush a "donkey". Somebody might think the Chimp's a Democrat :(
Good call. :)
I think he might simply stop messing or insulting USA.
That way Venezuela will pass, in the eye of mayorities, as an emerging country