What the next classic VH album would have sounded like.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Dime
    Roth Army Recruit
    • Apr 2004

What the next classic VH album would have sounded like.

Hi, everyone. I was thinking about this and was wondering what you all thought. I don't know if it's been discussed here before; if it has, I apologize. But, had Dave remained with the band after 1984, what would the next VH album have sounded like?

I was trying to imagine what it would have been like. I was thinking about the band's progression through the first six albums and mostly looking at 1984 and what could have come next. Maybe 5150 gives us a bit of an idea, but Hagar might have influenced that album. From what I understand, Ed would usually write most of the music and Dave concentrated on the lyrics, so do you think it would have been 5150 but with Dave's lyrics?

You guys will probably be able to answer this better than anyone. Thanks in advance for the comments.
  • PHOENIX
    Veteran
    • Jan 2004

Hey i got nothing better to do. So i think i'll sit around and imagine what that album would have sounded like.

When i'm done doing that i'll try to imagine what Jimi Hendrix and The Beatles would have sounded like in the 80's.

Comment

• Romeo Delight
      ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Wasn't the song "5150" written with Dave in mind?

I am sure that it was.

Best of Both Worlds could have been a good song with Dave
      sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• rustoffa
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Jan 2004

Re: What the next classic VH album would have sounded like.

Originally posted by The Dime
        had Dave remained with the band after 1984, what would the next VH album have sounded like?

I was trying to imagine what it would have been like. I was thinking about the band's progression through the first six albums and mostly looking at 1984 and what could have come next.
        Why Can't This Be Lust?
        :confused:

Comment

• Flash Bastard

Strippers Walk In

Comment

• Flash Bastard

Or midgets.

Comment

• sadaist
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jul 2004

I think it would have been very much 5150 esque. I don't think Sammy's true influence started to come in until OU812. You can really hear the difference between those 2 albums.
              “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• DlocRoth
                ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

Yeah, but HELL NO...

Dave would have fought tooth and nail to keep the synth out as much as possible....
                Fuck Scott Weiland. Fucking asshole. I get trashed all the time and still go to work. And my job sucks ass. -ODShowtime

Comment

• matt19
                  Sniper
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by DlocRoth
                  Yeah, but HELL NO...

Dave would have fought tooth and nail to keep the synth out as much as possible....
                  thats fo sho
                  Long Live Classic VH

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                    ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Was "Love Walks In" the nail in the coffin for Dave?

Can't really blame him for walking
                    sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• TAKIN WHISKEY
                      Commando
                      • Apr 2006

FROM WHAT I REMEBER FROM DAVE'S BOOK, HE SAID HE GOT TIRED OF WAITING ON ED AND AL. ED IS A RECLUSE, AND WOULD LOCK HIMSELF AWAY FOR WEEKS AT A TIME WITH NO CONTACT, AND AL WAS CONTENT ON DRINKING ALL DAY EVERY DAY. DAVE GOT TIRED OF WAITING AROUND AND DECIDED HE HAD BETTER THING TO DO.

Comment

• Brett
                        Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by DavidFlamma
                        Was "Love Walks In" the nail in the coffin for Dave?

Can't really blame him for walking
                        That song wasn't even written until after Sam joined.

Comment

• lztom
                          Head Fluffer
                          • Mar 2004

This is a good question. Even with Dave at the helm, the production values of the next album may have sucked which could have made it a stinker (by CVH standards). AVH's electric drum sound on that record is just HIDEOUS. There are things on there that could have easily developed into 'classic' CVH. Although the studio version of Summer Nights sounds pretty stolid, if you listen to the version of Live Without A Net, with a decent guitar tone, that was a classic Eddie guitar part (the like of which he stopped writing when the Van Hagar period got into its full swing).

So....could have been great, definitely would have been better than 5150 but could easily have been sunk by its production.

Comment

• bueno bob
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jul 2004

My guess? 1984 meets 5150, without too much of the sap...get rid of Why Cant This Be Love, Dreams, Love Walks In and add Yankee Rose, Shy Boy and Elephant Gun.

There ya go.
                            Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• sadaist
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Jul 2004

I remember an interview where Eddie said Dave was pissed about Jump. Dave's line to him was something like "You're a fucking guitar player, not a keyboard player", which pissed Ed off. No one tells Ed what to do. Dave still made Jump into a hit though. Talk about the golden touch.
                              “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

Working...