• Show
Clear All
  • Pink Spider
    Sniper
    • Jan 2004

Terror at home: SUVs

By Margaret Krome
    April 14, 2004

The next time someone tells a smirking joke about irrational behavior of blondes, adolescents or mothers-in-law, walk them gently out into any parking lot. Point to the sport utility vehicle of your choice, and ask them whatever made them think that adult Americans are rational.

The United States consumes more oil than any other nation, two-thirds of which goes to transportation. For every gallon of gas we consume, we also thrust 24 pounds of greenhouse gas pollutants into the air, not to mention incurring smog, toxic emissions and other additional environmental costs of the drilling, refining and transporting of that fuel.

So the usual socially responsible argument is that in the interests of our nation and the environment, consumers should buy cars that don't consume too much gas. At the least, I would have thought that a serious pocketbook issue would affect people's car purchasing decisions.

Yes, increasing fuel efficiency not only reduces our dependence on foreign oil, cleans up our air and reduces toxic pollutants in the nation's environment, but it also saves money at the gas pump. Wouldn't you think that the increasing gas prices of the winter and spring, and prospects for even higher prices in the summer, would significantly reduce our nation's passion for gas guzzlers?

Oddly, industry reports last week showed no decline whatsoever. In fact, SUVs, pickup trucks and other fuel-inefficient vehicles are more popular than ever.

People buy SUVs because they like the sense of power, the fantasy of living in rugged conditions, the sense of safety. But most owners don't have miles of rugged ranchland to cover, and SUVs have a rotten safety record. According to the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration, SUVs roll over in 37 percent of fatal crashes, compared to a 15 percent rollover rate for passenger cars. In tests of how well vehicles protect the driver and passengers in a crash, none of the 13 SUVs tested was rated "good" or better. Five were rated as "acceptable," three as "marginal," and five as "poor." Further, SUVs have been shown to substantially compromise the safety of passengers in other cars on the road.

When consumers' irrational decisions jeopardize the nation's well-being, they shouldn't be left to individual choice. Car manufacturers should be obligated to increase SUVs' fuel efficiency and design them for improved safety.

There was a time when federal standards steadily helped our nation's cars gain fuel efficiency. Those Corporate Average Fuel Economy standards increased new car and truck fuel economy by 70 percent between 1975 and 1988. Since the mid-'80s, when they were left stagnant, the nation's fuel efficiency has ended its promising increase. Car manufacturers don't pursue such efficiencies on their own, and clearly, consumers aren't pursuing them either.

A couple of years ago a bipartisan amendment to the Senate Energy Bill, sponsored by Sens. John Kerry, D-Mass., and John McCain, R-Ariz., would have reintroduced fuel efficiency standards in cars and light trucks. Unfortunately, it was undercut and sidetracked. The Bush administration has steadfastly avoided supporting such standards, equally matched by congressional unwillingness to insist that car manufacturers take the lead in doing the right thing.

Every horror story I read about people killed in the fight in Iraq raises questions in my mind about more than terrorism and the quality of information informing our military actions. It also illustrates the great cost of our nation's dependence on a resource that is overwhelmingly obtained from other countries. And because it is a national security issue, conservation of that resource should become a national security issue also.

The next time you see an SUV with an American flag waving from its antenna, think of the worst blonde joke you've ever heard. The driver of that SUV deserves a louder snicker than the dopiest blonde for waving a patriotic flag but driving the most anti-social and unpatriotic kind of vehicle on the road.
  • diamondD
    Veteran
    • Jan 2004

When are you hippies gonna realize that if you get a good paying job, you can afford such things?

" At the least, I would have thought that a serious pocketbook issue would affect people's car purchasing decisions."

If it's not a serious pocketbook issue to the person buying, it's none of your business. I don't need a bunch of liberals whining about whether or not they think I can afford something. Or care if they do.

You come up with something better, offer it. Sell it. But no one gives a crap if you are happy with their purchase.
    Meet us in the future, not the pasture

Comment

• ELVIS
      Banned
      • Dec 2003

What an idiotic post...

What do you drive Pink ??

People buy SUV's because THEY LIKE SUV'S !!

Comment

• DaveIsKing
        Veteran
        • Mar 2004

Liberals are so stupid they can't open their mouths without subtracting from the sum of human knowledge.

Of course most Republicans have the spine of a jellyfish, so the idiots win over the cowards everytime!
        PROPERTY OF DaveIsKing©

YOUR GIRLFRIEND = OWNED

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Bottom line is as long as the oil industry owns the White House, there won't be any real progress made in fuel efficiency and/or alternative energy.

Now obviously, I'm in no place to demand everybody drive a 3 cylinder hybrid gas/electric vehicle, because I can't drive one myself, being 6'6" and not compatible with small cars. Supposedly hybrid trucks and SUV's are in development. I'll believe it when I see it. So for now, let's just get the oil industry out of the government and regulate the goddamn gas prices within reason again.
          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• knuckleboner
            Crazy Ass Mofo
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by FORD
            Supposedly hybrid trucks and SUV's are in development.
            there's the 2005 toyota highlander hybrid coming.

as well as the ford escape hybrid coming this summer.

the hybrid SUVs are a little further down the pike than one might think.

though, i suppose i'm going to have to keep buying the gas guzzling ferarris for now...

Comment

• ELVIS
              Banned
              • Dec 2003

What are you driving right now FORD ??

Comment

• Dr. Love
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Jan 2004

I don't have a problem with people driving SUVs.

I have a problem with people driving SUVs that can't drive SUVs and nearly run me off the damn road.
                I've got the cure you're thinkin' of.

http://i.imgur.com/jBw4fCu.gif

Comment

• BigBadBrian
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by knuckleboner

though, i suppose i'm going to have to keep buying the gas guzzling ferarris for now...
                  I want a vehicle powered by gasoline and lubricated by oil. vroom vroom
                  “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• knuckleboner
                    Crazy Ass Mofo
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by BigBadBrian
                    I want a vehicle powered by gasoline and lubricated by oil. vroom vroom
                    and i want you to have it!

i was just telling FORD that the hybrid SUVs are out there.

Comment

• Pink Spider
                      Sniper
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Dr. Love
                      I have a problem with people driving SUVs that can't drive SUVs and nearly run me off the damn road.
                      Exactly! It's not about whether you can afford it. It's about how so many stupid people are on the road in these unsafe things. It's also about how us poor city dwellers have to put up with a thick cloud of smog every morning. I hope these new hybrid SUVs have autopilot...then maybe I might be happy.

Comment

• twonabomber
                        formerly F A T
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by knuckleboner

there will be a hybrid version of the Lexus RX also, i think even before the Highlander comes out.

i don't feel too guilty, since my SUV only has a six cylinder engine...but the tree huggers can kiss my ass anyways.
                        Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Lincoln
                          Groupie
                          • Jan 2004

Yeah, I was in traffic the other day sucking down some very untasty fumes that were belching out of a nice peace hippy van. I'll bet that p.o.s. was very fuel effecient.
                          http://debatepolicy.com

Comment

• Viking
                            Veteran
                            • Jan 2004

That's it - effective immediately, I want all SUV's to be subject to racial profiling....

Comment

Working...