Clear All
  • BigBadBrian
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

The Gospel of unbelief

The Gospel of unbelief
    Apr 11, 2006
    by Cal Thomas

It happens twice a year, at Christmas and Easter.

The newsweeklies sometimes carry cover stories. The newspapers print items calling the reason for these seasons into question.

This Easter is no exception, but the intensity level seems to have increased.

This year's first attack came from St. Paul Minnesota where local officials decided to ban the Easter Bunny from City Hall. They said it might offend some non-Christians, as if the Easter Bunny has anything to do with Easter's real significance. Apparently it escaped the notice of the city council that the Easter Bunny might offend Christians, because, like Santa Claus, it is a counterfeit. If they want to be consistent, perhaps the council should change the name of the city from St. Paul to, say, Paul Bunyan.

Newspapers also carried a story about a Florida State University scientist who speculated that Jesus didn't really walk on water; he walked on ice. The scientist theorized there must have been an unusual cold snap 2,000 years ago that froze the Sea of Galilee. This begs the question how Jesus was able to pull off such a stunt when Peter also walked on water, before his lack of faith sank him.

The New York Times piled on by trumpeting the discovery of a fossil in Arctic Canada as a "missing link," which it editorialized "puts the lie to creationist beliefs."

Not exactly.

Next was a story on the "Gospel of Judas," a work written between 130 and 170 C.E., long after the events it purports to describe. In this document, Jesus is revealed as having urged Judas to betray him. That a number of Judas' contemporaries said otherwise in Scripture matters not to skeptics.

Adding to the gospel of unbelief is the movie version of the best-selling novel, "The Da Vinci Code," which, if it is faithful to the book, will mix a few historical facts with a great deal of fiction. The book claims Jesus married Mary Magdalene and fathered children. The film is scheduled for release next month. Like the book, the movie will have as much to do with fact as Oliver Stone's film on the Kennedy assassination.

What is responsible for this flood of skepticism, heresy and outright denial of the biblical record? Why is there not a similar cultural onslaught against other faiths? Only the suicidal would treat Islam in this way. The skeptics sound like those disclaimers for certain drugs sold on TV: Side effects may include vomiting, hair loss, bleeding, dizziness and disorientation. The side effects of believing in Jesus may include loss of friends, disrespect by the academic and journalistic communities and damage to one's career, not to mention a complete change in the life to which one has become comfortably accustomed.

The question inherent in all of these challenges to the original story and original cast is this: How could anything like the resurrection be true? The question is not asked with the intention of getting an answer. It is rhetorical, hostile and unbelieving.

So, how does one know it is true? First, not a single witness of that first Easter morning subsequently denied what he (or she) observed. Human nature tells us that when those who publicly stated Jesus rose from the grave were threatened with death unless they recanted, at least one, and probably more, would have said it never happened, if it didn't occur. They would have wanted to live. Not one recanted. All of the Apostles died martyrs deaths, except John, who died in exile.

The second reason is also logical. What kind of loving father would direct his lost children through a bad neighborhood, if he wanted them to get home safely? If no human father would be so cruel, why would God, after giving up His Son to die for humanity, create a flawed road map so they would get lost in their search for Him?

Christians who believe the Bible's account of Easter believe it because they also believe God's spirit guarded human hands from making errors in recording these events. Skeptics have no such guide. They should be humbled that God is far wiser than the wisest man. (1 Corinthians 1:25-27)

Before accepting what heretics and unbelievers say, consideration should be given to what is contained in the guidebook.

Link
    “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush
  • Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Is this where you accuse people of being bad parents or child "molestors'?"

Thanks for the lecture on religion...

(fucking hypocrite)

Comment

• Hardrock69
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Feb 2005

3 Bishops went before the Pope. Only one was to be elected to the College Of Cardinals.

The Pope addressed the first one:

"My son, in order for me to judge who the best candidate is to become the new Cardinal, I must ask you a question. Please tell me, what is the significance of Easter?"

Bishop #1:

"Your Holiness, all good Catholics believe that Our Lord was Crucified, and to celebrate that we hide Easter Eggs On Easter Sunday for the children to find".

Pope: "That is very good my son. Now (To Bishop #2), can YOU please explain to me the significance of Easter?"

Bishop #2: "Your Holiness, Easter is a celebration of Ishtar, which predates the Catholic Religion."

Pope: "That is very good, my son. It is true that the Easter celebration preadates Christianity by over 2,000 years. But that is not the answer I was looking for. You (addressing Bishop #3)....what is the significance of Easter?

Bishop #3: "Well your Holiness, we as good Catholics believe Our Lord Jesus Christ died for our sins....and was crucified in order to Save The World"

The Pope: "Very good, my son, please continue!"

Bishop #3: "Your Holiness, we believe that Jesus was Crucified, and 3 days later he rose from the dead. He got up, rolled the rock aside that covered the entrance to his tomb, walked out, saw his own shadow and ran back inside!"

Comment

• Hardrock69
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Feb 2005

Next was a story on the "Gospel of Judas," a work written between 130 and 170 C.E., long after the events it purports to describe. In this document, Jesus is revealed as having urged Judas to betray him. That a number of Judas' contemporaries said otherwise in Scripture matters not to skeptics.
        The Gospels of The New Testament were written at least 30 years after Jesus supposedly was crucified.

Not by Judas's contemporaries.

The names Matthew, Mark, Luke & John were added later after the fact, and the true authors are anonymous.

That is the opinion of a vast majority of theological experts.

None of whom have the name "BigBadBrucie".

In the matter of martyrdom suffered by the apostles, there is a larger question that needs to be resolved. Were the apostles even real historical persons? There are reasons to suspect that at least some of them were merely legendary figures. Here presumably were men who took the gospel into various countries and provinces, but the only records of their activities are to be found in the traditions and writings of early church leaders, who had a special interest in the growth of Christianity. According to the book of Acts, for example, the apostle Paul stirred up public controversy almost everywhere he went on his missionary tours. In Philippi, Paul and Silas were allegedly beaten and thrown into prison for having cast a "spirit of divination" out of a young lady who had brought considerable gain to her masters through fortune-telling (Acts 16:16-24). While they were in prison, a great earthquake struck (as earthquakes did so often in those days when Christian activities were going on), opened the doors, and shook off the bonds of Paul and Silas (v:26). In Lystra, Paul and Barnabas were mobbed by a crowd and worshiped as the gods Jupiter and Mercury (Acts 14:11-13). Later Paul was stoned in the city, dragged outside, and left for dead (v:19). While preaching in the province of Asia, a pagan mob rioted in protest of Paul's preaching and would have lynched him and his companions except for the intervention of a town clerk (Acts 19:23-41). Everywhere Paul went controversy like this allegedly followed him, yet there are no records outside of the New Testament of any of his activities.

Since the New Testament is relatively silent on postresurrection activities of the other apostles, we "know" even less about their evangelistic work. What we do know is mainly a matter of tradition, which is all that Christians can offer in support of their claim that the apostles died for their beliefs. The problem with these traditions is that they are (1) unverifiable and (2) contradictory. One tradition, for example, says that the apostle Paul was tried in Rome and executed, but another tradition says that he was released and went to Spain to do more missionary work. So which tradition do we accept? When traditions are in conflict, how do we determine which, if any, is the truth?

No doubt many Christians who read this article will lay it aside and continue like parrots to ask the same question: "Why would the apostles have died for something they knew was false?"

Link

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Heard something on the radio last night that was both funny and sickening at the same time.

It seems that Bill Nye "the science guy" was speaking somewhere down South and just happenned to mention the Old Testament scripture that said God placed two lights in the sky, the sun for the daytime and the moon at night.

Then Nye mentioned the fact that the moon doesn't produce any light at all, but merely reflects sunlight on whichever part of the earth is dark.

A bunch of repressed fundagelicals actually yelled out "we believe in GOD!!" and walked out.

Now this shit is just ridiculous. I believe in God the Father and in His Son Jesus Christ, but there are simply some things written in the Bible that are not FACT. Not because anybody lied, and not because God is fallible, but simply because the books were written by MEN thousands of years ago who did not have even a fraction of the knowledge we have today about how things work on this planet, and in the universe overall.

It's not blasphemy to say that the moon doesn't produce light, it's merely a fucking fact. BTW, you repressed sister-fuckers, it's also not made of green cheese. I know these bastards have tried to erase every last memory of the 60's from the collective public conciousness, but I never dreamed that would include Neil Armstrong & his pals.

I guess they just went up there as a favor to God and changed the lightbulb??
          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Hardrock69
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Feb 2005

That is what I find so ridiculous.

People so stupid they believe some kind of fictional crap when the facts are the facts, ma'am.

The people at that lecture were fucking morons.

Comment

• BigBadBrian
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

“If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• Warham
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                Heard something on the radio last night that was both funny and sickening at the same time.

It seems that Bill Nye "the science guy" was speaking somewhere down South and just happenned to mention the Old Testament scripture that said God placed two lights in the sky, the sun for the daytime and the moon at night.

Then Nye mentioned the fact that the moon doesn't produce any light at all, but merely reflects sunlight on whichever part of the earth is dark.

A bunch of repressed fundagelicals actually yelled out "we believe in GOD!!" and walked out.

Now this shit is just ridiculous. I believe in God the Father and in His Son Jesus Christ, but there are simply some things written in the Bible that are not FACT. Not because anybody lied, and not because God is fallible, but simply because the books were written by MEN thousands of years ago who did not have even a fraction of the knowledge we have today about how things work on this planet, and in the universe overall.

It's not blasphemy to say that the moon doesn't produce light, it's merely a fucking fact. BTW, you repressed sister-fuckers, it's also not made of green cheese. I know these bastards have tried to erase every last memory of the 60's from the collective public conciousness, but I never dreamed that would include Neil Armstrong & his pals.

I guess they just went up there as a favor to God and changed the lightbulb??
                My only question to you is this:

If the Old Testament is fallible and full of errors, than why wouldn't the New Testament by as well?

How do you know Jesus even existed? And when Jesus said he was fulfilling the Law, which IS the Old Testament, was he full of shit (since the OT in your opinion is flawed)?

"Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled." Mt 5:17-18
                Last edited by Warham; 04-11-2006, 04:54 PM.

Comment

• FORD
                  ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Warham
                  My only question to you is this:

If the Old Testament is fallible and full of errors, than why wouldn't the New Testament by as well?

How do you know Jesus even existed? And when Jesus said he was fulfilling the Law, which IS the Old Testament, was he full of shit (since the OT in your opinion is flawed)?

"Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled." Mt 5:17-18
                  What do the law and the prophets have to do with the arcane idea that the moon is nothing but a fucking lightbulb that God placed in the sky?

However, the fact that things that are obviously NOT true are written in the Bible, proves that it is the work of man, and not of God, because God cannot lie. It's not a lie for a primitive man to misunderstand the nature of the sun and the moon, because he has no way of knowing any better. But for God to say so would be a lie, and if God lied, then He would be a sinner and then by His own laws, sentence Himself to eternity in Hell.
                  Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Warham
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Mar 2004

Genesis is part of the Law, and Jesus upheld it.

If ANY part of the Law were to be false, then Jesus is bearing false witness by proclaiming it as GOD's Word.

He wasn't a liar, correct?

Comment

• FORD
                      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

So you believe that the moon is just a lightbulb in the sky, and that the earth is flat, just because someone wrote that in a scroll 4000 years ago?

BTW, the Law is the Ten Commandments, which aren't even in Genesis.
                      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Warham
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Mar 2004

The Bible never says the Earth is flat. It mentions the 'four corners' several times (usually having to do with angels), but it also says the earth is a circle that hangs on nothing.

Men who translated in error are to blame, not the Bible.

Isa. 40:22 It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in:

Job 26:7 He stretcheth out the north over the empty place, and hangeth the earth upon nothing.

Ancient people from certain cultures used to think the Earth was held up by Atlas or some other deity, but the Hebrews knew better, for good reason.
                        Last edited by Warham; 04-11-2006, 06:29 PM.

Comment

• diamondD
                          Veteran
                          • Jan 2004

I read a Time magazine article a few years ago that interviewed several prominent church leaders. Most agree the Bible isn't supposed to be taken literally on some subjects.
                          Meet us in the future, not the pasture

Comment

• Seshmeister
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by FORD
                            What do the law and the prophets have to do with the arcane idea that the moon is nothing but a fucking lightbulb that God placed in the sky?

However, the fact that things that are obviously NOT true are written in the Bible, proves that it is the work of man, and not of God, because God cannot lie. It's not a lie for a primitive man to misunderstand the nature of the sun and the moon, because he has no way of knowing any better. But for God to say so would be a lie, and if God lied, then He would be a sinner and then by His own laws, sentence Himself to eternity in Hell.
                            Exactly.

So time to stop being a coward and embrace atheism.

If the bible is not the word of god but some shit cobbled together by primatives to make sense of stuff they didn't understand where does that leave Christianity?

Or it's Obsesive Compulsive Disorder offshoot Isalm?

Apply your intellect to the bible rather than silly cuntspiracy theories and see which stand up better.
                            Last edited by Seshmeister; 04-11-2006, 07:20 PM.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by diamondD
                              I read a Time magazine article a few years ago that interviewed several prominent church leaders. Most agree the Bible isn't supposed to be taken literally on some subjects.
                              And every year these subjects increase in number sending the Church scrabbling around trying to cling onto something.

Fortunately most of the time most of the sheep giving them money don't even notice.

Comment

Working...