PDA

View Full Version : Uncle Dick gets warm reception at Washington Nationals game

FORD
04-11-2006, 11:25 PM
Cheney booed loudly, throws out first pitch
Vice president throws out first pitch after visiting Mets, Nats locker rooms
The Associated Press
Updated: 6:57 p.m. ET April 11, 2006

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/060411/060411_cheneypitch_vmed_11a.widec.jpg

WASHINGTON - Greeted with loud boos and some cheers, Vice President Dick Cheney threw out the ceremonial first pitch Tuesday at the Washington Nationals’ home opener.

He stood directly in front of the mound and released a ball that hit the dirt in front of home plate. Nationals catcher Brian Schneider scooped it up.

Cheney wore a red-and-blue Nationals jacket that seemed bulky, perhaps filled out by a bulletproof vest. Security agents ringed the top edge of the outdoor stadium.

There was plenty of pomp before the Nationals played the New York Mets to start their second season at home. Opera star Placido Domingo sang the national anthem, four military jets screeched overhead and a burst of fireworks filled the sky on the brilliantly sunny day.

The vice president visited both clubhouses before the game, won by the Mets 7-1.

New York third baseman David Wright said he was thrilled to meet Cheney and shrugged off the booing.

“When you’ve got 50 percent of America that’s Republican, 50 percent that’s Democrat, you’re probably going to get mixed reviews,” Wright said.

Last year, the capital’s first with a baseball team since 1971, President Bush tossed out the first pitch at the home opener. Many fans were late to their seats because security lines at metal detectors — installed for the president’s visit — were still 20 deep when the game began.

Cheney became the eighth sitting vice president to open a home season by throwing out the first pitch for a Washington team. James Sherman inaugurated the tradition in 1912, and the last to do so was Hubert Humphrey in 1968.

Other vice presidents who have thrown the first pitch in Washington were Thomas Marshall in 1917 and again in 1920, Charles Dawes in 1926, John Garner in 1939, Henry Wallace in 1942 and 1944, and Richard Nixon in 1959. Humphrey did the honors in 1966 and 1968.
© 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

© 2006 MSNBC.com

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/12269994/

See the video here!
Windows Media Player (http://movies.crooksandliars.com/0411dv_cheney_pitch_300.wmv)
Quicktime (http://movies.crooksandliars.com/0411dv_cheney_pi.mov)

DEMON CUNT
04-12-2006, 12:08 AM
Ha ha!

Warham
04-12-2006, 07:12 AM
Good follow-through on that pitch.

:)

If he didn't have heart problems, they might have looked into giving him a minor league contract.

Hardrock69
04-12-2006, 11:16 AM
Too bad there were people cheering for him.

They probably were afraid the Gestapo would arrest them if they didn't.

:D

EAT MY ASSHOLE
04-12-2006, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
Too bad there were people cheering for him.

They probably were afraid the Gestapo would arrest them if they didn't.

:D

No, those are PATRIOTS. They realize that in order to protect our liberties, people like the VP had to take away our freedoms.

Still, after the hunting accident, I'm surprised MLB would trust this guys aim at all...

Steve Savicki
04-12-2006, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
Still, after the hunting accident, I'm surprised MLB would trust this guys aim at all...
LOL

Hardrock69
04-12-2006, 05:37 PM
A true patriot would want Cheney and his organ-grinder chimp out of office.

ODShowtime
04-12-2006, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
No, those are PATRIOTS. They realize that in order to protect our liberties, people like the VP had to take away our freedoms.

Still, after the hunting accident, I'm surprised MLB would trust this guys aim at all... :monekyr:

I can't tell if you're stupid enough to mean the first part or not.

I can tell that you are a fucking tool for telling that "joke"

LoungeMachine
04-12-2006, 10:23 PM
Why do Baseball Fans hate America so much?

Terry
04-14-2006, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
A true patriot would want Cheney and his organ-grinder chimp out of office.

Yeah, but getting rid of them and replacing them with some other lifelong pol isn't really gonna produce any fundamental change.

Don't get me wrong; Bush and Cheney are swine, but so are the demo alternatives.