PDA

View Full Version : StoneAge Custom Cabinets

BrownSound1
04-15-2006, 01:07 AM
Recently I have been on the search for some quality 4x12 cabinets to go with the amp I'm building, that didn't cost life and limb. A lot of modern cabinets use particle board or fiber board, and the quality is just lacking as well as the tone. In my searches I found a company called StoneAge Custom Cabiniets (http://www.stoneagecustomcabinets.com) . I placed a request for pricing, and within MINUTES I received a phone call from John Wheeler, the owner. He went over speakers, tolex, grille cloth, impedance, piping, EVERYTHING. These cabinets are AWESOME, and are as well built as anything that has ever been put out. 100% Baltic Birch plywood, and not the cheap shit you get at Home Depot. They come highly recommend from several people, and so I thought I would pass the info along here.

So..if you're looking for a speaker cab, check them out. Tell him I sent you.

Don Corleone
04-15-2006, 03:43 AM
Did you get that Plexi kit?

GAR
04-15-2006, 05:07 AM
This is what I like to see.

http://www.stoneagecustomcabinets.com/uploads/000_0132-toweb.JPG

GAR
04-15-2006, 05:09 AM
There is an alternative to fingerjointed box designs like this that I would recommend, but you'd have to front-load the speakers.

Gregg's Pro Audio in Whittier, CA. will do any design you like but I dont' know if they do jointed corners.

Nitro Express
04-15-2006, 05:17 AM
They look pretty nice. I read the story where Peavey went by the book building a new cab for the 5150 amp. Hartley Peavey always used southern plywood because Peavey is right there where they make the stuff so why not use it. If you ever looked at a technical book on how to make speakers, Marshall cabinets are tottaly built wrong.

Anyways, Peavey builds this tank of a speaker and takes it out to 5150 and Eddie tottaly hated it. Then ed showed them his best sounding speaker. The Peavey technitians said it was an old Marshall cabinet that was so shot, if you leaned on it the cabinet would lean because the finger joints were loose. So they had to sonically copy the thing.

What Peavey learned is you have to use European baltic plywood. American plywood made of pine does not work. Marshall used a high grade of birch plywood, so they imported that. Plus the flimbsy baffles Marshall uses are necessary for the sound.

Hartley Peavey said he learned a lot building the 5150 cab and learned they were out of it as far as capturing the rock and roll market.

I always liked Marshall 4x12 cabinets but with the weak dollar and buying the Marshall name, man, they are getting expensive! I don't see why someone here in the US can't build a simular speaker cab that works. But I have found that particular cab design good for everything. I have my one Marshall cab with 25 watt speakers and it sounds good with every amp I have clean or dirty. Money well spent! If someone domestically can provide that for a better cost, then that's great!

I was looking at the Musicians Friend website and thinking. Ok, that Randall speaker is a good price but is it shit? Beringer? I don't think so! There's so much shit out there and people waste their money they could have put into something better. I've been dissapointed with Fender speaker cabinets. Some are good and some are shit. You just don't know what you are getting with Fender. At least with Marshall, you know what you are getting if you buy the high end speakers.

62sg
04-15-2006, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by BrownSound1
Recently I have been on the search for some quality 4x12 cabinets to go with the amp I'm building, that didn't cost life and limb. A lot of modern cabinets use particle board or fiber board, and the quality is just lacking as well as the tone. In my searches I found a company called StoneAge Custom Cabiniets (http://www.stoneagecustomcabinets.com) . I placed a request for pricing, and within MINUTES I received a phone call from John Wheeler, the owner. He went over speakers, tolex, grille cloth, impedance, piping, EVERYTHING. These cabinets are AWESOME, and are as well built as anything that has ever been put out. 100% Baltic Birch plywood, and not the cheap shit you get at Home Depot. They come highly
recommend from several people, and so I thought I would pass the info along here.

So..if you're looking for a speaker cab, check them out. Tell him I sent you.

BrownSound1...thank you for the great post about my cabinets.
And, Gar...you too for appreciating the fingerjoints.
Just now registered, and am really digging this forum.

John { aka 62sg }
www.stoneagecustomcabinets.com

BrownSound1
04-15-2006, 11:39 AM
Thanks for joining up, John! I really appreciate you dropping by.

Don Corleone
04-15-2006, 06:22 PM
Welcome aboard man.

62sg
04-15-2006, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Don Corleone
Welcome aboard man.

Glad to have found & joined ! Thanks...

jhale667
04-15-2006, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by 62sg
Glad to have found & joined ! Thanks...

Welcome. Your cabs look cool! I SOOO need a 2x12...:D

Nitro Express
04-16-2006, 01:09 AM
I need some stereo cabinets. I'm just using PA speakers with like a McInstosh 240 tube amp. Kind of like driving a Porsche on cheap tires.

62sg
05-28-2006, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by jhale667

Originally posted by jhale667

Thanks very much....if you need info, feel free to contact me @
stoneagecustomcabinets@yahoo.com

John
www.stoneagecustomcabinets.com

Hardrock69
05-29-2006, 03:08 PM
As for expense.....cheap Marhall cabinets can be had....the one I have that I keep yammering on about was 325.00

But of course, such deals ARE hard to come by.

As for Sleavey, as far as I am concerned they have been 10% hit, 90% miss.

Of course it is good Hartley was making affordable equipment for our poorer (or stingier) breathren, but yes, Hartley has made more junk (in my opinion) than great equipment.

They have a great company, and are certainly in the business to stay.

But out of all the amps they ever made, I have only heard one example (owned by a friend in the early 80s) that had a killer sound.

Sleavey....breakfast of ....well, just regular folks I guess....

;)

BrownSound1
06-01-2006, 12:34 AM
Check out the new logo John has. This kicks ass in a major way, IMHO.

ThrillsNSpills
06-01-2006, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by Don Corleone
Did you get that Plexi kit?

Funny, that was my first reaction as well.