X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sadaist
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jul 2004

Can someone explain the drums on 5150?

I'm not a drummer, nor know much about them except they can sound real cool. They are very different on 5150. A lot of rolling?(probably not the right term), especially on the song 5150. I've heard people talk that Alex used a drum machine. What is it, and how does it affect what he is drumming? Doesn't he still need to play?
    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”
  • shaggydoo
    Head Fluffer
    • Feb 2005

Here's my explanation of the drums on 5150:

They suck!

And from photographic evidence, apparently played by a monkey!

Comment

• sadaist
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jul 2004

That doesn't help me.
      “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jan 2004

hm...to judge the sound of the drums on 5150 I'd have to listen to it...sorry...can't help you out here...
        Roth Army Icon
        First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• sadaist
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
          hm...to judge the sound of the drums on 5150 I'd have to listen to it...sorry...can't help you out here...
          Cool. But can you explain what a drum machine does? I mean, doesn't the drummer still have to play? How does it enhance or effect the sound?

Comment

• Carmine
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Apr 2004

Re: Can someone explain the drums on 5150?

Originally posted by sadaist
            I'm not a drummer, nor know much about them except they can sound real cool. They are very different on 5150. A lot of rolling?(probably not the right term), especially on the song 5150. I've heard people talk that Alex used a drum machine. What is it, and how does it affect what he is drumming? Doesn't he still need to play?

I believe that Alex used an electric drum kit on 5150. Its still set up and played the same, it just gives that synthetic sound.

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

you play on pads that get their sounds via samples...and you can program them...

Roth Army Icon

Comment

• sadaist
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jul 2004

Cool. Now why would a rock band use them? It seems like something a new wave band would have used. Or is that why people give Alex shit.

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by sadaist
                  Cool. Now why would a rock band use them?
                  because it turned into a poppy and cheesy gay band?

many bands made experiments with the midi stuff in the 80's, even the metal gods of judas priest made a poppy album with turbo lover, ZZ-top used drum machines and midis.

the only one I accept playing the synthis was the def leppard guy who's lost one arm...I saw his first concert after the accident in 1986 and he played great (leppard sucked anyway)
                  Roth Army Icon

Comment

• Carmine
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Apr 2004

Alex started messing around with synthetic drums during 1984 didn't he? If I recall the "Jump" video correctly, I think you can see them out front.

Comment

• Carmine
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Apr 2004

the only one I accept playing the synthis was the def leppard guy who's lost one arm...I saw his first concert after the accident in 1986 and he played great

Is that because there is a picture of a "certain someone" floating around here where that "certain someone" resembles Joe Elliot?

Comment

• sadaist
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Jul 2004

the only one I accept playing the synthis was the def leppard guy who's lost one arm...I saw his first concert after the accident in 1986 and he played great (leppard sucked anyway)
                        I saw the Hysteria tour. They were one of the few (and first) 80's bands to play in the round. They only played 3 songs from Hysteria. All but 1 from Pyromania, and a bunch from High n' Dry. Great fucking show. Can't believe the drummer kept going. Fucking amazing.

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Carmine
                          Is that because there is a picture of a "certain someone" floating around here where that "certain someone" resembles Joe Elliot?

:confused:
                          Roth Army Icon

Comment

• twonabomber
                            formerly F A T
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

on 5150 Al used a double-bass Simmons drumset. i think the snare was acoustic though.

Simmons drums sound really dated today.
                            Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Jan 2004

we use e-drums with our band when we play on very small stages like the one where we did our x-mas gig...

Roth Army Icon

Comment

Working...