• Show
Clear All
  • Hardrock69
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Feb 2005

Microsoft Pulling Plug on Windows 98, 98 SE and ME

Brandon Hill - April 18, 2006 3:24 PM

This is the last stop

For those of you still puttin' around on Windows 98 or Windows 98 SE, you'll be cut-off from Microsoft in July. If you're still running Windows Millennium, well I'm sorry to hear that.

Customers will no longer be provided with critical security updates after July 11, 2006. From Microsoft's Help and Support site:

Microsoft is ending support for these products because they are outdated and these older operating systems can expose customers to security risks. We recommend that customers who are still running Windows 98 or Windows Me upgrade to a newer, more secure Microsoft operating system, such as Windows XP, as soon as possible.

Although Microsoft is ending the release of updates for the aforementioned operating systems, online self-help support will still be available at from Microsoft's support site until at least July 11, 2007.
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Anyone who is still using Windows ME is a damned fool anyway.

That piece of shit was the absolute worst excuse for an operating system ever released. And for MicroSquash, that's saying something. The first release of Windows 95 had less bugs than that piece of crap.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Full Bug
      Crazy Ass Mofo
      • Jan 2004

Thank god I have Window XP, I knew that would be a good choice in the long run.....
      Diamond Mafia Forever - 4. To restore fullbug to the prominent place in this board, after various serious attacks by hitch1969 have now damaged his reputation and now is reguarded as a "Retarded, Stoned, Canadian, Dog finger bangin' fuckup"

Comment

• Hardrock69
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Feb 2005

I agree.

Comment

• twonabomber
          formerly F A T
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

95 and 98 were almost enough to make me switch to Apple...but i stuck it out, and got XP Pro on the machine i built a few years ago. i haven't had much trouble with it at all.
          Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Ozzy Fudd
            Veteran
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
            95 and 98 were almost enough to make me switch to Apple...but i stuck it out, and got XP Pro on the machine i built a few years ago. i haven't had much trouble with it at all.
            same here. always build your own.
            Roth Army MP
            Originally posted by Panamark
            Is there such a thing as a trailer park virgin?
            or is that just a chick that can run faster than her father and brothers ??
            Originally posted by BITEYOASS
            She looks like someone I wake up to after a night of drinking. Or someone I'd bang so a buddy of mine can get her hotter friend.
            Originally posted by JAY HALE
            so how's about you stop lying, log off and go practice.

Comment

• FORD
              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Absolutely. The ability to choose your own hardware and build your own machine is what's kept me out of the Macintosh camp. And multimedia's the only thing that keeps me in the Windows camp. Once Linux gets that down, I'm out of Billy Gates Land for good.
              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• flappo
                Banned
                • Jan 2004

in the not too distant future the mac will be the premier computing platform by diversity of os

xp , vista , linux AND os-x

whereas a pc will never run os-x legitimately

Comment

• FORD
                  ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by flappo
                  in the not too distant future the mac will be the premier computing platform by diversity of os

xp , vista , linux AND os-x

whereas a pc will never run os-x legitimately
                  Does Mac have any plans to expand the Intel-processor line into the full tower case systems like the G5 or the next generation (G6, I would guess)

Because if I could actually work with the hardware the way I wanted to, I might be willing to consider a MAC for my next machine and run it as a multi-boot system. But I hate these "everything built into the monitor" things, and the Mac Mini case isn't much better.

And actually, there are experimental packages out there already that will run OS-X on a PC, though they're in a very early Alpha stage. I'm not remotely interested, since OS-X is close enough to BSD anyway, it shares enough similarities with Linux.
                  Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• MERRYKISSMASS2U
                    Full Member Status

• Mar 2004

Good.

ME never should have been released.

This kind of "backwards compatibility 20 years back" style of thinking is one of the reasons their OSes are so bloated. Somebody with a set of balls just needs to cut support and move on.

For example: Classic apps no longer work on Mac OS X Intel machines. Nobody develops for it anymore. If Apple wants to continue being innovative, they need to cut support for the old shit, and spend their time on the new.

I really don't have a need to run 16 bit dos apps on a modern XP system. I'm glad Vista fucks up, and I welcome the next <a href="http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/index.html">big cat</a>.

Comment

• flappo
                      Banned
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                      Does Mac have any plans to expand the Intel-processor line into the full tower case systems like the G5 or the next generation (G6, I would guess)

Because if I could actually work with the hardware the way I wanted to, I might be willing to consider a MAC for my next machine and run it as a multi-boot system. But I hate these "everything built into the monitor" things, and the Mac Mini case isn't much better.

And actually, there are experimental packages out there already that will run OS-X on a PC, though they're in a very early Alpha stage. I'm not remotely interested, since OS-X is close enough to BSD anyway, it shares enough similarities with Linux.
                      you'd probably want one of these , then

The new Mac Pro with M2 Ultra combines our most powerful Apple silicon yet with PCIe expansion for the ultimate in workstation-class performance.

"Quad Core. Up to 3GHz.
                      Every Mac Pro in the lineup features two of the newest Dual-Core Intel Xeon processors. Two dual-cores. One powerful quad workstation. And you get to decide how fast it flies: 2GHz, 2.66GHz, or 3GHz. And at 3GHz, the Mac Pro runs up to 2x faster than the Power Mac G5 Quad.(1)"

Comment

• Dr. Love
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Jan 2004

A list of all the sketch comedy videos we have released.

A list of all the sketch comedy videos we have released.
                        I've got the cure you're thinkin' of.

http://i.imgur.com/jBw4fCu.gif

Comment

• flappo
                          Banned
                          • Jan 2004

i love how pc users claim the mac is a toy

but then spend all that dough on a pc

to play games

nuff said

Comment

• flappo
                            Banned
                            • Jan 2004

cheap clunky copies of a slick original

how 'very' pc

Comment

• MERRYKISSMASS2U
                              Full Member Status

• Mar 2004

Originally posted by flappo
                              i love how pc users claim the mac is a toy

but then spend all that dough on a pc

to play games

nuff said
                              Extremely insightful. I've really never thought of that before.

The "Macs can't play games" argument is bullshit. If I wanted to, I could run windows on the very machine that I'm typing on. However, I just don't fucking want to.

Comment

Working...