Eruption vs Blue Powder

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TMR

Eruption vs Blue Powder

Most of you don't know.....but Steve's signature song BLUE POWDER has more emotion, energy, and pure musicianship then Eddie's song Eruption.

Sure Eruption was a great movement for guitar, but Vai took it to the next level by showing the world and guitar players what the instrument can deliver in sound then Eddie's 3 color axe.

Blue Power has various styles of playing in the same song where Eruption basically starts off with a decent riff but eventually takes you no where in the end.

Probably, Not many of you have heard Blue Powder....if you truly want to hear a guitar song, check this song out!

Steve plays an extended version of the song with Billy Sheehan on LIVE IN ASTORIA DVD!

• chefcraig
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Apr 2004

Re: Eruption vs Blue Powder

Originally posted by TMR
    Most of you don't know.....but Steve's signature song BLUE POWDER has more emotion, energy, and pure musicianship then Eddie's song Eruption.

Blue Power has various styles of playing in the same song where Eruption basically starts off with a decent riff but eventually takes you no where in the end.

Probably, Not many of you have heard Blue Powder....if you truly want to hear a guitar song, check this song out!

Steve plays an extended version of the song with Billy Sheehan on LIVE IN ASTORIA DVD!

Wasn't "Blue Powder" developed during the "improv" parts of Vai's touring with Frank Zappa?

Frank had (for a while) an ensemble piece called the "Black Pages", that Vai transcribed.

I truly believe that's where it came from.

c.craig

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• pardo

Steve's guitar wanking over the Kenny G inspired songs don't really wave my flag.

I'd like Steve a lot better if he had a little more Angus in him. Uh - like Edward!

Comment

• ThrillsNSpills
        ROTH ARMY ELITE
        • Jan 2004

If this was true then you wouldn't have to convince people.
        Blue Powder is great but c'mon.

Comment

• Full Bug
          Crazy Ass Mofo
          • Jan 2004

Eruption inspired and influenced many people to pick up a guitar, or play it a new way, can you say the same for Steve?
          Diamond Mafia Forever - 4. To restore fullbug to the prominent place in this board, after various serious attacks by hitch1969 have now damaged his reputation and now is reguarded as a "Retarded, Stoned, Canadian, Dog finger bangin' fuckup"

Comment

• Bob_R
            Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Re: Eruption vs Blue Powder

Originally posted by TMR

Sure Eruption was a great movement for guitar, but Vai took it to the next level by showing the world and guitar players what the instrument can deliver in sound then Eddie's 3 color axe.

Could you possibly post Blue Powder?
            Talk Classic Rock - The Official Message Board For Classic Rock -- Now on XenForo!

Comment

• NathanRay
              Head Fluffer
              • Feb 2004

Eruption was the ballsiest guitar solo in the history of Electric Guitar. After that, you can't really hold a candle to the king. I heard Vai and the rest after hearing eruption. But it did'nt Matter because by the third track Van Halen had Really Got Me.

True I experienced Eruption and Van Halen 1 for the first time on Hot summer Day. I didn't know how damn cool music could live and breathe and the second half of puberty got a soundtrack.

Edward Van Halen Was the King When He was With Roth and Usin' all his "Homemade Dennis the Menace Bits of trouble."
              "It's just not an option for me to go and watch some other band — who are only performing because they have some new record coming out — do our music," Roth said. "I have nothing against Velvet Revolver — I'm not familiar with their music — but that was my 3 minutes and 22 seconds up there."
              Roth Keeps it REEEEAL

Originally posted by Antman
              Fuck Alex Van Halen. That mongoloid Mr. Spock looking mother fucker.

Comment

• NathanRay
                Head Fluffer
                • Feb 2004

Still would love to give Blue Powder a listen though.
                "It's just not an option for me to go and watch some other band — who are only performing because they have some new record coming out — do our music," Roth said. "I have nothing against Velvet Revolver — I'm not familiar with their music — but that was my 3 minutes and 22 seconds up there."
                Roth Keeps it REEEEAL

Originally posted by Antman
                Fuck Alex Van Halen. That mongoloid Mr. Spock looking mother fucker.

Comment

• TMR

Originally posted by c.craig
                  Wasn't "Blue Powder" developed during the "improv" parts of Vai's touring with Frank Zappa?

Frank had (for a while) an ensemble piece called the "Black Pages", that Vai transcribed.

I truly believe that's where it came from.

c.craig
                  I'm not a huge fan of Zappa....so even if something was transcribed by Zappa and Steve took it and made it that much better is fantastic....Blue Powder was the very first song I heard from Vai. Point is...this is a great song and Vai has created many more since that time. But you would have to be a Vai fan to hear them.

Comment

• TMR

Originally posted by pardo

I'd like Steve a lot better if he had a little more Angus in him. Uh - like Edward!
                    You mean like Ed's playing with Van Hagar?? He hasn't inspired anything since Little Guitars and never will.

Comment

• TMR

Originally posted by ThrillsNSpills
                      If this was true then you wouldn't have to convince people.
                      Blue Powder is great but c'mon.

I don't need to convince, i'm letting people know...the song ended up on passion and warfare!

Steve's song was out on a plastic record back in the early 80's then eventually made it to his personal cd. Only reason Ed's song made it anywhere is because of Dave. If Dave wasn't there....Ed would have been just another average joe. Like he is today!

Comment

• TMR

Originally posted by EVH FANATIC
                        Could you possibly post Blue Powder?

It would take me forever to upload the song. The song can be found on PASSION & WARFARE CD or LIVE IN ASTORIA DVD! I would have to send the song to Sarge via snail mail....lol

Comment

• TMR

Originally posted by Full Bug
                          Eruption inspired and influenced many people to pick up a guitar, or play it a new way, can you say the same for Steve?

Yes I can.....Ed hasn't done anything since the early 80's with the guitar, Vai has inspired people around the world!

Comment

• secrets
                            Foot Soldier
                            • Apr 2004

To paraphrase Vai's once mentor Frank Zappa, Eddie Van Halen reinvented the electric guitar. To this day Eruption still sounds the business.
                            Van Halen was way ahead of his time in terms of technique attitude tone and use of effects. Don't get me wrong Vai is amazing but I prefer his playing on EEAS to Passion and Warfare (too self indulgent). His solo album Flexable features two amazing solos on The Attitude Song and Call it Sleep, which are better tracks than Blue Powder.
                            Achtung Baby I say, I say...

Comment

• TMR

Originally posted by secrets
                              To paraphrase Vai's once mentor Frank Zappa, Eddie Van Halen reinvented the electric guitar. To this day Eruption still sounds the business.
                              Van Halen was way ahead of his time in terms of technique attitude tone and use of effects. Don't get me wrong Vai is amazing but I prefer his playing on EEAS to Passion and Warfare (too self indulgent). His solo album Flexable features two amazing solos on The Attitude Song and Call it Sleep, which are better tracks than Blue Powder.
                              Yes, those are great songs as well!! I prefer Vai's playing on EEAS too!

Comment

Working...