PDA

View Full Version : Want a Rainbow reunion?

bueno bob
04-23-2006, 11:45 AM
Greg Schmitt of Rock Eyez recently conducted an interview with legendary hard rock vocalist Joe Lynn Turner (RAINBOW, DEEP PURPLE, YNGWIE MALMSTEEN). A few excerpts from the chat follow:

Rock Eyez: As we all know, you were involved with three RAINBOW albums in the early 1980s, and then returned to join DEEP PURPLE for the underrated "Slaves And Masters" CD. What was your writing partnership with Ritchie [Blackmore] and Roger [Glover] like?

Joe Lynn Turner: "Roger and I were...I'd like to think...very close and had a lot of similar pacing and literature tastes. We were also into the same things... metaphysics, psychology. I think that is reflected in a lot of the songs we collaborated on. Working with Roger was great!"

Rock Eyez: It appears that Ritchie's been sequestered from the rock scene by his management for the last decade. Have you heard the BLACKMORE'S NIGHT material, [and] what are your thoughts on it?

Joe Lynn Turner: "I think Ritchie is very happy making this type of music. I also like it a lot. Ritchie always wanted to do material like this, so it is not forced on him in any way. Recently, I contributed vocals to a BLACKMORE'S NIGHT version of [RAINBOW's] 'Street of Dreams'. It's on their latest CD as a bonus track. It was really enjoyable to do."

Rock Eyez: Has there ever been talk of you and Ritchie reforming RAINBOW? Or even you touring as JLT's RAINBOW? Those songs deserve to be heard more frequently.

Joe Lynn Turner: "There is always talk and rumors. I would love to tour again with Ritchie if he decided to reform RAINBOW if it was for one show, one album or a whole tour. We worked well together and got along great. However, I know he is committed to BLACKMORE'S NIGHT and as I said, he seems very fulfilled."

Rock Eyez: You were heavily involved in the writing of what probably became the most commercially successful YNGWIE MALMSTEEN album, "Odyssey". What are your feelings on those days? Was it a positive working relationship, and would you ever consider rekindling it?

Joe Lynn Turner: "It was one of the best albums I ever made with anyone. I am very proud of the record. Great songs, excellent musicianship. It was one of the highlights of my career. It was a positive relationship in that we made some great music together and grew a lot in the process. Yngwie and I did work together later on 'Inspiration'. If Yngwie wanted to work, again it would depend on the situation, circumstances, etc."

Read the entire interview at www.rockeyez.com.

My comment on this?

If it means getting Ritchie Blackmore back to being, well, RITCHIE BLACKMORE, I'm all for it.

I would prefer Dio, but with that, you have to consider the "original" Rainbow lineup...and Cozy Powell would be sorely missed...

With Turner, they could get Bobby Rondinelli back...or Chuck Burgi...or whoever, really...

Just as long as Ritchie, Roger and Joe were there, I guess pretty much anybody could be on keyboards and drums, probably wouldn't matter all that much...

Moreover, Turner could sing all of the Rainbow era (Dio/Bonnet/JLT/White) live, whereas with Ronnie it'd have to be exclusively Ronnie's material...

Tough call, but I'd love to see Rainbow together again, one way or another.

Mr Badguy
04-23-2006, 01:20 PM
I think the only way any permutation of Rainbow can exist is with Ritchie Blackmore.

Anyone else doesn`t really matter.

Blackmore and Dio or Blackmore and Turner could bill themselves as Rainbow no matter who the other members were, the amount of guys that went through that band means that they never really had a definitive line up, only definitive members.

I don`t think the same line up made consecutive studio albums.

Besides, if Ritchie hadn`t regrouped with Purple, who knows how many more musicians would have been part of Rainbow?

Does anyone give a fuck?

"Stranger in us all" hardly set the world on fire when it was billed as a Rainbow album.

This is all conjecture anyway, without Ritchie it ain`t gonna happen and I wouldn`t bet on him being up for it.

bueno bob
04-23-2006, 02:15 PM
Nice to daydream about, though... :)

Ronnie said something like five years ago that too much time had passed by for a Rainbow reunion...at one point, he was very much interested in it, but after year after year went by, he just quit caring about the idea...

Bring on the Elf reunion!

Mr. Vengeance
04-23-2006, 03:42 PM
I like the Dio and JLT versions of Rainbow, but I don't know if I'd get all that excited about new material or tour. Maybe. ...It would be better than the shit that's out today, but I don't know if they could put out good material like Deep Purple continues to make.

I'd give it a listen for sure.

That Street of Dreams video is one of the best ever.

Terry
04-23-2006, 07:42 PM
Think Rainbow were fine for their day...still have a copy of Finyl Vynil around here somewhere, as well as Stright Between The Eyes...

Can't say as I'd be running to get tickets, though...but then again, I haven't seen Blackmore since the Perfect Strangers tour, so maybe I'm overdue...

But my sole interest would be in seeing what BLACKMORE could come up with. Could really give a shit if Turner was singing, or RJD, or even if they scrounged up ol' Graham Bonnet, or if Glover turned up or not...

Blackmore is such an amazing player, matters not to me if he hooked up with some wench he met at a Medieval Times Renaissance Fair (and what a comely wench she is) and has been 'wasting' himself far as hard rock is concerned for the last decade...get that Strat plugged through a Marshall into his hands and he'd rule once again.

yah
04-23-2006, 08:50 PM
Obviously , Blackmore enjoys his medievel music and lifestyle...I don't see him back with Rainbow or Purple for that matter....which is our loss because I dunno if there's many Blackmores Night fans here???
Too fucking mellow for me...
Plug In or Go Home, Ritchie!

bueno bob
04-23-2006, 09:58 PM
Blackmore's Night is a bit on the quiet side for me, as well...

yah
04-23-2006, 10:13 PM
He's got a hot wench there, but the music overall is TOO acoustic for me to handle...a few pieces here and there are ok but I hafta say, Ritchie...I miss the ROCK and ROLL!
Pick Up that Strat and plug in!!! damnit

bueno bob
04-24-2006, 11:13 PM
There are very few things in life I can think of that would rate as "on par" with being up close to the front of an outdoor stage next year...when the sun goes down...hearing the opening notes of "Light Up the Sky"...seeing the lights go on...and seeing Dave and Eddie on stage together, both of them HAPPY...

But the same scenario hearing the opening notes of "Spotlight Kid" would be pretty fuckin' cool too...

binnie
05-14-2006, 04:13 AM
I saw Blackmore's Night.

There were big lumps of hay on the stage. That bad.

'Nuff said.

Rainbow reunion would be fantastic though, but it's have to be Blackmore and Ronnie!

Terry
05-14-2006, 07:59 PM
Will tell you right now that I'm not interested in Blackmore rejoining Purple again in the slightest, mostly because Gillan's voice is fried...

The beauty of Rainbow is that is was basically Blackmore and whoever else was playing with him for that album/tour, so even though there are particular lineups preferred more by some than others, there's really no 'definitive' Rainbow lineup that needs to be in place for it to come off well...

But Blackmore is clearly uninterested in rock and roll...I wouldn't really care if he formed a NEW rock band, get maybe Billy Sheehan, Tommy Lee and, well, fuck, David Lee isn't really doing anything...just to see the man ELECTRIFIED one more time...

ULTRAMAN VH
05-15-2006, 06:22 AM
I always liked Rainbow. Blackmore is just a great guitar player. As far as a reunion happening? I don't think so. To much time has passed, hell even in their commercial prime they could barely headline arena's. I remember alot of empty seats at the Baltimore Arena back in the mid eighties. Kids today don't even know who Rainbow is or was. On a positive note, Blackmore did some great stuff with the many incarnations of Rainbow.

Bill Lumbergh
05-16-2006, 01:11 AM
Time to start posting Bob Daisley pictures again.............my work is never done.......... :mad: