PDA

View Full Version : Cocksucker Blues

Terry
04-23-2006, 08:30 PM
Well, after many years of hearing about this legendary bootleg and wanting to see it, finally broke down and bought it along with some other rare flicks (including the Runaways Live In Japan 1977)...

Had heard a lot of it was boring and some of it was staged (in terms of the drug use depicted in the bootleg), but the several live performances from the 1972 tour were worth wading through the rest of it (man, whatever Keef Riffhard paid his dentist in the 80s was worth it, 'cuz that junkie had some of the worst teeth back then, even for a Brit).

Some great performances of Brown Sugar, Street Fighting Man, Stevie Wonder jumping onstage with the band and doing some great jamming, All Down The Line...this was the Stones still going for it live. Even though their performances are more consistent now (and at $100 + a pop they'd bloody well better be), none of what they do these days has that quality...back before the image and size of their celebrity overshadowed the music, and the Stones became just basically a money-making enterprise...not that they weren't in it for a buck back then, either, but the performances were fresh because those tunes were still fresh (I'm sorry, y'all, but seeing them at the SuperBowl churning out Start Me Up and Satisfaction for the millionth time was boring)...

Basically back at a time when they may well have been the World's Greatest Rock and Roll Band.

Am now on the lookout for Ladies And Gentleman, The Rolling Stones, a 1973 bootleg of the same tour, which was supposed to be released as an official concert film but got shelved. Once I get my dvd burner, I'll whip up some copies for whoever wants them, particularly those here who have sent me stuff over the years and I haven't been able to reciprocate because all I can copy is dvd to vhs.

PHOENIX
04-23-2006, 10:03 PM
Sounds like an interesting concert ya got there.

rustoffa
04-23-2006, 10:09 PM
I've got a pretty rough copy of it. The deal where they're riding in the station wagon smoking a joint is funny as shit. Fucking Taylor looked stoned as stoned could get. (pun intended)

What about that backstage footage with Ginsberg, Warhol, and Tina Turner wandering around? LMFAO! Keef is passed out in the afro chic's lap the whole time!

Terry
04-23-2006, 10:20 PM
Keith looked wasted throughout the whole thing, pretty much.

Yeah, and Truman Copote wandering around backstage with Lee Radziwell...and Bianca Jagger just sitting around the hotel room looking bored...the beginning of Jagger's whole jet-set celeb phase...

Jérôme Frenchise
05-14-2006, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Terry
...Ladies And Gentleman, The Rolling Stones, a 1973 bootleg of the same tour, which was supposed to be released as an official concert film but got shelved.

I got that 4 weeks ago, downloaded it through emule - as I did for "Cocksucker Blues" - but still haven't copied it on disc, though I really should (it's 2.00 gigabytes big). It was pretty long to download (5 days, with three 24-hour connexions...), but it's really worth it. Just what we can hear on the old boots, but with great sound and image... It was released in movie theaters, with quadrophonic sound in some places, in 1974 I think. BTW, it's footage from the 1972 tour.

:cool: