PDA

View Full Version : Patty Smyth or Sammy ?

mightyjar
04-16-2004, 06:30 AM
Sammy should get on his knees and thank the Lord above that Patty Smyth rejected Eddie's offer to replace Dave when the band split. Smyth was Eddies 1st choice to become singer of the once great Van Halen. The job then fell to the Fat One.
Also I am so sick and tired of Sammy lovers spewing false numbers about album sales. Diamond Dave VH blows away Sammy VH by a landslide. If you are a non-believer just go to the Van halen website and they will give you a total for each album sold in the US.
World wide sales is even a greater spread.
Starting with 5150 to Balance the Van Hagar album sales have slipped with each recording.
The ill fated VHIII sold just over half a mil in the States.
Dave left the band in great shape when he split. 1984 has sold over 10 mil in the States so to go with the Original Van Halen album
which also went Platinum x 10.
Classic Van Halen stands the test of time as you will always hear them on the Radio.
You will have to listen to a Soft rock format to catch the love songs played by the 2nd fiddle.
I also hope Dave will continue to Tour as I love seeing him live. I only wish he would play more of his solo stuff. I think he is selling himself short only playing the Van Halen tunes. His solo music was also awesome.

Panamark
04-16-2004, 07:19 AM
I think Patty Smyth would have been a much better choice.

BigBadBrian
04-16-2004, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by Panamark
I think Patty Smyth would have been a much better choice.

Yup. :gulp:

I actually liked most of Sammy's stuff before VH, but what in the hell happened when those two (Sammy and VH) united is a tragedy in huge proportions.

It's kind of like Tequila and Jack Daniel's sour mash. Each is good by themselves but when you go mixing the two, people are bound to throw up.

:gulp:

squib
04-16-2004, 09:39 PM
I kind of agree. When Van Halen split in '85 I followed both paths and then investigated Sammy's solo stuff. Earlier Sammy wasn't all bad. I understand the resentment for Sammy on this site and 'm not going to see this tour, but the blame for the lame vanhagar is definitly in the mix of Sam & Ed. Maybe they made each other too happy -the music the made certainly wasn't the raw aggressive VanHalen that put the name in lights. Ed running to the keyboard didn't help either. Great for Jump, and a song or two, but VanHappy never really cut it for me.

alexpgrimes
04-16-2004, 11:43 PM
I don't know. If Patty Smyth would have been in the band Ed would of had to put up with that lame ass husband of hers.

distortion9
04-16-2004, 11:59 PM
Sammy and Patty both have snatches.

madraoul
04-17-2004, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by squib
I kind of agree. When Van Halen split in '85 I followed both paths and then investigated Sammy's solo stuff. Earlier Sammy wasn't all bad. I understand the resentment for Sammy on this site and 'm not going to see this tour, but the blame for the lame vanhagar is definitly in the mix of Sam & Ed. Maybe they made each other too happy -the music the made certainly wasn't the raw aggressive VanHalen that put the name in lights. Ed running to the keyboard didn't help either. Great for Jump, and a song or two, but VanHappy never really cut it for me.

Please!! Hagarita's solo career was and always will be lame ass shit. I really think Eddie put names in a fucking hat to pick the singer to replace Dave. Both Eddie Money and Billy Squier's names probably were drawn first, but they both had the good sense to turn it down. Steve Perry is probably still bummed about the decision as well. Remember Robin Zander and Pat Benetar? These are all Hagarita's peers. It's like Zeppelin replacing Plant with Donnie Osmond! Yes kids, Van Halen was that big.

pete
04-17-2004, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by madraoul
Please!! Hagarita's solo career was and always will be lame ass shit. I really think Eddie put names in a fucking hat to pick the singer to replace Dave. Both Eddie Money and Billy Squier's names probably were drawn first, but they both had the good sense to turn it down. Steve Perry is probably still bummed about the decision as well. Remember Robin Zander and Pat Benetar? These are all Hagarita's peers. It's like Zeppelin replacing Plant with Donnie Osmond! Yes kids, Van Halen was that big.

he always sucked. always. lyrics, guitar, presentation........

ashstralia
04-18-2004, 11:24 AM
i recall at the time that jimmy barnes' name came up too.
he was the lead singer (screecher) of legendary aussie band 'cold chisel'.
woulda been kinda interesting, he had a reasonably solid solo career.
personally i didn't much care for his voice, he had that raspy brian johnson thing goin on.
he certainly could have drank ol' ed under the table, tho.

Sarge
04-18-2004, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by madraoul

Hagar's Version of Van Halen .. was way fooking lame.
There really is no difference between Eddie Money and Hagar pre 86.
Except Eddie Money had more hits..

I would have rather have seen Patty Smyth as singer of Van Halen.
Yep.. I hate Hagar that much.

Bill Lumbergh
04-18-2004, 01:47 PM
"Heavy metal noooooiiiiiiisssseeeeeeee!!"

pete
04-18-2004, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Bill Lumbergh
"Heavy metal noooooiiiiiiisssseeeeeeee!!"

isn't that andy gibb?

tjvhou812
04-18-2004, 04:04 PM
no