• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bo Nozos
    Roadie
    • Jun 2005

Read This, Sobolewski

To Mike Sobolewski, aka The Bass Player:

Bass Player, we know that some combination of you and/or your daughters read these sites, and we know you and the girls can't help but read Roth Army. This open letter is for you, bitch.

1. The Stupidest Luck in Rock. You don't deserve the job you've had. Has anyone in the history of rock stepped in a bigger pile of luckier shit than you? You go to high school with one of the most influential guitarists in the history of music, and the frontman of all frontmen. You're balding at age 22, but can sing in key and in a falsetto. Welcome to Van Halen!

2. A Go-fer, A Mime, A Yes-Man. Bass Player, I don't have as much admiration as some others have been by your recent spilling of beans about the goings-on at Howdy Doody Mountain. Where were you and your mouth for 25 years before that? Keeping the fuck quiet in exchange for crumbs from the Van Halen table, that's where. Guess your accountant recently told you and Mrs. Sobolewski that, in the twilight of your career, you had finally stashed enough crumbs away that you don't need to take as much direction from the sisters. So now, with Sammy Bette Buffet getting your back, you run your mouth. I'm not impressed. Too little, too late. You will always be a yes-man in my book.

3. No Talent. Dude, what's it like knowing that your bass solo is a running joke among the fanbase, and that at any given show a significant percentage of the crowd uses your time in the spotlight as their bathroom break? You're a hack, not fit to shine the musical shoes of Eddie V. and Roth.

4. No Accounting For Bad Taste. Way to be best friends with Sammy Hagar. Now that's something to put on your Hall of Fame application. You made timeless music, and shared a stage with, David Lee Roth. Now run around drunk with an overweight Bette Midler impersonator, playing to half-empty clubs of fat mid-western Nascar fans sporting mullets and squeezing genetically undesirable wives, pretending you're happy and fulfilled. Is this where you imagined your life the first time you listened to the masters for Fair Warning? Is this the future you saw in 1984. I highly doubt it.

5. Friend of the Fan? A lot of fans think you're the only one in the bad who's on their side. What a joke. Being the lesser evil means exactly that -- you're a little less evil. You suck, dude. I'm a nobody, but at least I can say I didn't let my boss serve me feces for decades and publicly eat it with a grin on my face. At least I didn't contribute to the ruin of something amazing. Being the dim bulb of the band doesn't make you any less guilty for what's been perpetrated on fans for the last 20 years.
  • DavidLeeNatra
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

Roth Army Icon
    First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
      Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Excellent.

=V V=
      ole No.1 The finest
      EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• jgdrag
        Sniper
        • Jul 2005

Have to agree

Comment

• guwapo_rocker

I never liked his bass playing, and the solo was funny.
          Having said that, Mike and Ed's backing vocals were a huge part of the Van Halen sound.

Comment

• Dutch
            Groupie
            • Feb 2004

No talent? Way off base. Van Hagar nor David Lee Roth solo have never really captured the magic that was classic Van Halen. That's because if any one of the four key elements is missing, the scientific formula is thrown for a loop. And Mike Anthony was a key part of the equation. Don't underestimate the power of Cannonmouth.

Comment

• bantonelli
              Crazy Ass Mofo
              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Dutch
              No talent? Way off base. Van Hagar nor David Lee Roth solo have never really captured the magic that was classic Van Halen. That's because if any one of the four key elements is missing, the scientific formula is thrown for a loop. And Mike Anthony was a key part of the equation. Don't underestimate the power of Cannonmouth.
              ? Are you trying to imply that Warner Bros. gave CVH a contract because of BassPlayer's high pitch "ahhhhh" ? Sorry to enlighten you, but his contribution to that band is one song....his signature play on Runnin' with the Devil. After that, he simply became the "YES" man to The Sisters.

He wasn't in demand, so he got a "hot job" pushing sauce...and now he's trying to market himself off playing VH with Spamtard on tour.....Two Fools a Minute!

We can live without Bassplayer's "Ahhhhh" moments and his average Bass playing.
              "Meet us in the Future.....NOT the Pasture".......DLR, August '07, VH Press Conference - Tour '07-'08

Comment

• Terry
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jan 2004

Can't really disagree with many of Bo Nozo's sentiments.

Yeah, Anthony provided a key element in Van Halen's backing vocals, but when I think of the aspects of CVH that made them legendary, the background vocals aren't among them.

Anthony's bass playing was somewhat of a joke even back when CVH were still around, and his Jack Daniels bass got more recognition than anything he played with Van Halen...plus the dude gladly plodded along with the Van Halens once Hagar came aboard and assisted Ed in pussifying the Van Halen name, then stuck around for the Van Halen 3 album and tour (allowing Ed to play all the bass on the album - man, paycheck or not, doesn't this guy have any balls to stand up for himself?), hung around on the Sam and Dave tour (played with Sam for a few tunes and whined like a bitch over the fact that Dave couldn't be bothered with him), weaseled his way onto the Van Hagar 2004 tour (when, by his own admission, it was clear that Ed didn't really even want him there) then bitched about how shitty the whole deal was AFTER it was over, and now he's attempting to sell hot sauce and is hanging around Sam Hagar -

Pretty much tells you all you need to know about him. The dude was able to play stuff more complex than the RWTD intro that we frequently make fun of, but in the end he just got lucky that he was involved with the band at all, and I doubt CVH's output would have been any less stellar without his participation.
                Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• rustoffa
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Jan 2004

Don't underestimate the power of Cannonmouth.

Comment

• guwapo_rocker

Don't underestimate the power of Cannonmouth.
                    Fuck I miss her!!!

Comment

Working...