X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr Badguy
    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

The Jimi Hendrix Thread

I think it`s about time we had a thread dedicated to the father of modern day rock guitar, Jimi Hendrix.

Been a fan for a long time and recently picked up a copy of "The Jimi Hendrix Concerts" on CD, having had it on cassette for years, and it got me back into a heavy Hendrix trip.

My favourite band is still "Band of gypsies", I prefer Buddy Miles drumming to the far too busy Mitch Mitchell, although his studio work on the three Experience albums is amazing.

Let`s talk Hendrix.
    sigpic

Sitting on a park bench!
  • simplerhyme
    Full On Cocktard
    • Apr 2006

Couldn't agree with you more my friend!

Hendrix turned guitar from an accompniment into an instrument

Band of Gypsies rocks, but I thought Electric Ladyland really captured his vision best, especially the cover!

However if I had to pick one song, it would be Spanish Castle Magic

Jimi is Jesus

Eddie is God!

Comment

• Mr Badguy
      Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

If I had to pick a favourite album, it would be "Axis : Bold as love".

I know everyone goes crazy for "Electric Ladyland" but I prefer "Axis...".

My favourite song is definetly "Machine Gun" from the "Band of Gypsies" LP.

If ever a musician put his very soul into a perfomance then that is it.
      sigpic

Sitting on a park bench!

Comment

• suckitandsee
        Roth Army Recruit
        • May 2006

Was Hendrix a better player than Eddie?

It's a hard call,

music isn't all about technique (Eddie would be light years ahead if it was)

Or does it just not matter

They both MADE great music, both past tense,

Sadly

Comment

• Terry
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jan 2004

Don't know about 'better' with Hendrix vs. EVH, or any other player vs. another...

Hendrix and Van Halen both took a variety of techniques that had come before them and synthesized them into their own styles...but I think Jimi was perhaps a little bit more innovative than EVH overall..I dunno. Tough call.

Hendrix WAS brilliant, no doubt. Not that I find much meaning in them, but there's a reason why Hendrix continues to top polls of all-time guitar greats.
          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Mr Badguy
            Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by suckitandsee
            Was Hendrix a better player than Eddie?

It's a hard call,

music isn't all about technique (Eddie would be light years ahead if it was)

Or does it just not matter

They both MADE great music, both past tense,

Sadly
            Both innovators, no doubt.

I couldn`t say who the best "player" was but "Are you experienced?" is year zero for guitar playing.

I can only imagine what it must have been like to be a guitarist in 1966 when Hendrix completely rewrote the book and came out with techniques that you had never dreamt of.
            sigpic

Sitting on a park bench!

Comment

• binnie
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • May 2006

True to all of the above

However, where would guitar playing have been without Eruption?
              The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• simplerhyme
                Full On Cocktard
                • Apr 2006

The thing about Hendrix was that he never got to make a bad album, as he died at his peak.

As a result we only saw he genius

Maybe in the 80's he have made AOR, or joined a band with Sammy!

Comment

• binnie
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • May 2006

Ha!

I reckon Sammy could even make Jimi sound shit,

Just imagine Tubby singing on Vodoo Chile!

Comment

• ELVIS
                    Banned
                    • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Mr Badguy
                    I prefer Buddy Miles drumming to the far too busy Mitch Mitchell, although his studio work on the three Experience albums is amazing.

Let`s talk Hendrix.
                    Yeah, lets...

You're talking out of both sides of your ass!

So Mitch is "far too busy" and "amazing" ??

Which is it ??

Mitch Mitchell, as he will tell you, was playing directly off of Jimi's firey guitar work...

His lightning snare and tom work was the perfect compliment to Jimi's guitar...

Had Buddy Miles been in the band from the beginning, the music would not have been nearly as exciting as it was...

They were On Fire as a three piece in 1967, the year I was born...

Comment

• Terry
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by binnie
                      True to all of the above

However, where would guitar playing have been without Eruption?

There's no doubt EVH had a huge impact on rock guitar, but in some ways a lot of guitarists just took the tapping and vibrato bar open E/pinched harmonic dive bomb stuff and used those things as showboating tricks, and how often do you hear that stuff being done by contemporary rock guitarists?...in many ways EVH was in a class by himself in that he was often imitated but never really duplicated, and his resonance really waned after hair metal died...which was kinda nice because a lot of the hair band axe slingers really couldn't play very well and songwriting had taken a back seat to wankfest guitar solos (even EVH at his most indulgent in CVH never let the solos eclipse the songs).

With Hendrix, you listen to what was going on rock guitar-wise before he got famous and then check out the scene after he died, I'd stake a claim that he influenced a wider range of artists in his wake...

I mean, even just listening to the NWOBHM explosion that was happening simultaneously with CVH's rise to the top in the states, I'm not hearing a lot of EVH in what JP, Maiden and the like were putting out back then...

EVH had a big impact, but Hendrix's influence was wider-reaching.
                      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Mr Badguy
                        Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
                        Yeah, lets...

You're talking out of both sides of your ass!

So Mitch is "far too busy" and "amazing" ??

Which is it ??

Mitch Mitchell, as he will tell you, was playing directly off of Jimi's firey guitar work...

His lightning snare and tom work was the perfect compliment to Jimi's guitar...

Had Buddy Miles been in the band from the beginning, the music would not have been nearly as exciting as it was...

They were On Fire as a three piece in 1967, the year I was born...

OOOOOOO!

Well, Mitchell`s work in the studio in 67/68 was amazing but live he seemed to be all over the place.

Never played a steady beat and was too busy playing fills all over the place.

His work on the stuff Hendrix was working on in 1970 doesn`t seem to fit as Hendrix was moving into a more...erm..."groovy" style.

I find Buddy`s more simplistic stuff gave Hendrix`s guitar playing more room to breathe.

I never said I didn`t rate Mitchell, I just said I prefer Buddy Miles.

You only have the two to compare as noone else played on an "official" Hendrix album.
                        sigpic

Sitting on a park bench!

Comment

• binnie
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • May 2006

Quite frankly with Hendrix on guitar, does it matter who is on drums?

Personally I prefer Mitch, but the style of music was really different, Band Of Gypsies is more jazz orientated, the earlier stuff was based around 3-4 minutes songs, for the most part, so it's hard to compare.

Also agree with you guys that Jimi had more influence than Eddie, but I'd rather listen to Eddie play, he gives me more of a 'wow' factor overall.

But hell, I'm listening to "Axis" right now and it's just from a different plannet

Comment

• binnie
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • May 2006

Just finished Axis, it's time for Electric Ladlyland!

Spanish Castle Magic is out of this world!

Comment

• binnie
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • May 2006

Favourtie Jimi songs anyone?

Comment

Working...