PDA

View Full Version : Slash Rejected

PHOENIX
05-12-2006, 08:36 PM
STONE ROSES TURNED DOWN SLASH

GUNS N' ROSES guitarist SLASH offered to join British band the STONE ROSES after their guitarist left, but was knocked back by scathing frontman IAN BROWN. After JOHN SQUIRE announced his departure from the Manchester rockers in 1996, the band were stunned to receive an offer from guitar great Slash. However, Brown refused to entertain the idea of employing a rock rival - and has been regretting it ever since. Brown says, "I wish we'd taken him on. But at the time we were like, 'No, we hate Guns N' Roses, f**k off. Is he going to bring his python with him?' "But now I think it would have been amazing." Slash currently plays with rock supergroup VELVET REVOLVER.
11/05/2006 03:13

DeadOrAlive
05-12-2006, 10:14 PM
Wierd... Since Slash offered his position to Stone Roses, then I wonder how his relationship with Velvet Revolver is...

Terry
05-12-2006, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by DeadOrAlive
Wierd... Since Slash offered his position to Stone Roses, then I wonder how his relationship with Velvet Revolver is...

Well, he offered it in 1996, right? So I'd imagine Velvet Revolver is still solid, although there's really nothing great going on with that group IMO.

Weiland should get back together with the Pilots, or OD properly (rather than make cheesy music videos about it), and Slash should do something with Izzy. Duff and Sorum can, well, pretty much fuck off for what they bring to the table, far as I can see...isn't there a Cult reunion on the horizon? There's your rhythm section (hell, Sorum already knows the catalog).

tjvhou812
05-12-2006, 10:55 PM
STP is a great band but i think Velvet Revolver kix azz

Shaun Ponsonby
05-13-2006, 06:23 AM
Indeed...

It takes a while for you to get into them, though. I didn't like "Contraband" at much at first, but it was addictive. Eventually, I loved it.

And I prefer STP to GNR.

Matt White
05-13-2006, 06:58 AM
VR KICKS ASS

Shaun Ponsonby
05-13-2006, 07:02 AM
"Hands are shakin'
Got your finger on the trigger
But, Jesus Ain't Complainin'
Gonna figure it out
Somebody raped my tapeworm abortion
Come on, motherfucker, and deliever the cow"

Mr Badguy
05-13-2006, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
"Hands are shakin'
Got your finger on the trigger
But, Jesus Ain't Complainin'
Gonna figure it out
Somebody raped my tapeworm abortion
Come on, motherfucker, and deliever the cow"

Yeah, even when you read it it makes no sense.

Those lyrics make the words of Warrant`s "Cherry pie" look like the work of Bob Dylan.

Shaun Ponsonby
05-13-2006, 07:23 AM
Ah, that doesn't matter. As long as it sounds good. Look at Jon Anderson. He's been writing about things like "Whispers of Clay" since the late 60s. His lyrics don't make sense either.

Mr Badguy
05-13-2006, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
Ah, that doesn't matter. As long as it sounds good. Look at Jon Anderson. He's been writing about things like "Whispers of Clay" since the late 60s. His lyrics don't make sense either.

Yeah, but I think that`s what makes "Contaband" so hard to get into.

They try to came across as a "street" kind of thing but the lyrics are way out there.

The beauty of GnR was that besides the kick ass tunes you could relate to the lyrics.

Jon Anderson gets away with it the same way as Robert Plant got away with it, you could bullshit people with all that hippy stuff back then and he`s been doing it so long people expect it.

Even Jon Anderson`s lyrics are a lot less obtuse than they used to be.

binnie
05-13-2006, 01:50 PM
VR is a great band and phenomenal live, up there with the best I've seen!

I agree that the album was a grower.

apparently they are working with NERD or something for the next one, to me that sounds like a bad idea.

Anyone know if that's true.

Shaun Ponsonby
05-13-2006, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy
Yeah, but I think that`s what makes "Contaband" so hard to get into.

Hmmm, never thought of that.