PDA

View Full Version : The Rolling Stones in the Park (1969)

ELVIS
05-17-2006, 12:10 PM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/I4-5rqlhePQ"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/I4-5rqlhePQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

:elvis:

ELVIS
05-17-2006, 12:11 PM
I'm not a big Stones fan, but stuff like this is GRATE!

binnie
05-17-2006, 12:18 PM
Fantastic!

Thanks for posting that!

FORD
05-17-2006, 02:24 PM
Historic performance, as it was both the "funeral" for Brian Jones AND the band's first live performance with Mick Taylor, who had been working with the band about 1 month at that point.

Consequently, it's not the Stones' best performance. Sometimes in this show they play so slow you wonder if Keith didn't slip some quaaludes into everyone's beers.

ELVIS
05-17-2006, 02:32 PM
That's what makes it good...:)

FORD
05-17-2006, 02:49 PM
I'd like to see this entire show some time, but I don't know if a video exists of the whole thing. I know there are audio boots of the entire show available, but I haven't seen it on any of the trader sites recently. It used to circulate in MP3 form back in the days when Napster and Win MX were good.

The video of this show that floats around is a documentary type of thing made by Granada TV (whatever that is) and it only contains a few songs. If the footage exists, I hope someone puts the full show out some day. Officially or otherwise.

ELVIS
05-17-2006, 02:56 PM
Shut up and comment on the Rainbow video I posted...

Since you're so smart...;)

EAT MY ASSHOLE
05-17-2006, 02:59 PM
This featured thr Stones most patently STOOPID moment on stage.

During Sympathy For the devil they had a bunch of black guys come up on stage sreaaed in full savage regalia - grass skirts, bones through the noses, the works - and they did a choreographed dance bit with their spears and whatnot. Fairly racist, and I'm sure Brain Jones was very grateful not to be alive to see that.

Curious thing as well: The London Hells Angles provided security for the event, and it went down extremely peacefully, including the Angels helping in the post show cleanup.. Six months later, the Stones employed the American West Coast Hells Angels for a little event in early December, with histroically different results.

binnie
05-17-2006, 03:38 PM
I'm sure the whole things out on DVD!

Jérôme Frenchise
05-17-2006, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by FORD
I'd like to see this entire show some time, but I don't know if a video exists of the whole thing. I know there are audio boots of the entire show available, but I haven't seen it on any of the trader sites recently. It used to circulate in MP3 form back in the days when Napster and Win MX were good.

The video of this show that floats around is a documentary type of thing made by Granada TV (whatever that is) and it only contains a few songs. If the footage exists, I hope someone puts the full show out some day. Officially or otherwise.

There is the 53' video I've had on VHS for more than 15 years. They re-released it on DVD 2 or 3 years ago. One day I read a great review about that gig (which had been initially scheduled as a means of presenting Mick Taylor). They played 13 songs, but there are only 8 on my tape (Satisfaction, JJF, HTW, I'm free, Sympathy for the devil, Love in vain, Midnight Rambler and I'm yours, she's mine (the song they offered to Johnny Winter - "I'm yours and I'm hers).
They're more stoned than stoned, indeed. They sound as if they were all fixed.
When I entered university, in my first few weeks there in autumn 88 I found an old Betamax at the English learners' library. There were cabins in there, and as soon as I could have borrowed it I played it in one of those cabins, a bit loud... From then on, the guy in charge of the library always looked at me with some apprehension in eyes every time I would enter the place. :cool:

As for the video, I think you have to be rather stoned yourself to appreciate it... otherwise they're out of tune! :D

Jérôme Frenchise
05-17-2006, 03:59 PM
Here it is. Re-released in March 2001 (1989 for the VHS).

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00005955K.08._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

"And if you wan' sooome satisfaaaction,
I'm gonna give ya satisfaction...
... we can get ourselves some satisfaction!... :)

Last_Child
05-17-2006, 04:50 PM
Yeah!

ODShowtime
05-17-2006, 10:45 PM
this show is cool... jumpin jack flash and honkey tonk women are HEAVY