PDA

View Full Version : Ozzy Osbourne - Mr. Crowley - Speak of the Devil

ELVIS
05-17-2006, 06:03 PM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eOQCuzwcFq0"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eOQCuzwcFq0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

:elvis:

ELVIS
05-17-2006, 06:10 PM
And some Randy Rhoads...

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6O1J8d1NGx0"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6O1J8d1NGx0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

bastardog
05-17-2006, 06:18 PM
That is the real Ozzy......fat and blonde....and crazy.
not the skinny, black haired and Sharon's buffon that he is now

The_KiD
05-17-2006, 07:15 PM
Very nice... My first real Ozzy as teenager was Blizzard of Oz and Diary of a Madman.. I loved that shit...

KiD

PHOENIX
05-17-2006, 07:17 PM
Thanks Elvis. I've never seen that footage with Brad Gillis.

katie
05-17-2006, 07:31 PM
I have all this and more on DVD
If anybody wants a trade DVD/CDR here is my trade list -

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/musictrading5673/myhomepage/rock.html

Email me offlist - midlands8888@yahoo.com

Katie

binnie
05-18-2006, 12:15 PM
They were great vid's cheers!

Always thought Jake E Lee was the best player he ever worked with tho'

ULTRAMAN VH
05-18-2006, 12:45 PM
Have to respectfully disagree, binnie. Lee and Gillis are great players but Rhoads had more feeling in his playing. Lee was dependent on effects pedals and Gillis his whammy bar. Rhoads was technically a far superior guitar player. Ozzy and Randy had real chemistry and created some great music.

BruinJer
05-18-2006, 12:50 PM
I have that Speak Of The Devil show on DVD... that also happens to be the first concert.

binnie
05-18-2006, 02:24 PM
Good point Ultraman, never thought about it that way.

Agree that Rhoades made the best music.

What about Rhoades vs Wylde as a player?

Diamondjimi
05-18-2006, 03:23 PM
Thanks Elvis

I saw that tour in Toronto. i was totally bummed about Randy's death
I'd already bought my tickets before he died. I remember leaving the show thinking Gillis played his ass off ,good job but he's no Randy Rhoads. I remember seeing this vid. years ago . I'm gonna have to borrow my buddys video of this concert and burn myself a dvd. Notice how Ozzy doubled , if not completely redid his vocals.
Would be nice if there was a pro-shot of this quality with Randy."After Hours " aside..

ELVIS
05-18-2006, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by binnie
Always thought Jake E Lee was the best player he ever worked with tho'

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QwamOlQxa98"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QwamOlQxa98" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

ELVIS
05-18-2006, 05:09 PM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Wq51eSh5lSQ"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Wq51eSh5lSQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Terry
05-18-2006, 08:41 PM
Gillis did a pretty good job, 'specially when you consider he had to figure out RR's stuff fairly quickly by sitting in a room listening to tapes (tab wasn't really widely available back then like it is today)...he kept most of RR's signature stuff in there...yeah, no fucking DOUBT Ozz went back and redid his vocals for that concert broadcast - they sound too clean and full, and many times they don't quite match up with the video (with the vocals still continuing at full volume for a second or so after Ozz has clearly moved the mic away from his mouth).

Seshmeister
05-18-2006, 09:00 PM
Some South American company brought out this show a couple of years back.

I haven't seen it for a while because I made the mistake of loaning it to an early Ozzy fanatic.:)

It's good. Brad Gillis is no Randy Rhodes or Jake E Lee but he does well enough considering.

You used to be able to buy it on Amazon not sure if you still can.

Cheers!

:gulp:

ELVIS
05-18-2006, 09:19 PM
I prefer Bradley...

I also dig Rudy Sarzo playing fretless bass on all of that stuff...

Va Beach VH Fan
05-18-2006, 09:47 PM
Speak of the Devil has always been my favorite Ozzy recording...

Great setlist...

As for Gillis, I don't play guitar so this is just a fan's perspective, but is it just me or does he go just a little overboard with his whammy's ??

BruinJer
05-18-2006, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan

Great setlist...

As for Gillis, I don't play guitar so this is just a fan's perspective, but is it just me or does he go just a little overboard with his whammy's ??

He does... but his style is not suited for Ozzy's stuff BUT I think he would have blown people away if he had done a studio album or two with Ozzy. Listen to Brad's solo stuff and you'd get where he's coming from... he's a damn good guitar player.

Seshmeister
05-18-2006, 10:37 PM

Great setlist...

LOL that's kind of like saying that EVH went overboard on the tapping.

Whammy stuff was BG's signature thing.

Speak(or Talk as it was called here) of the Devil is my favourite recording of Black Sabbath stuff. I know that's sacrilage or whatnot but that's my opinion. Even the boring stuff like Paranoid was brought alive by BG.

Cheers!

Terry
05-18-2006, 10:45 PM

Great setlist...

Used to be a running joke between me and a few of my buds who also played back in the day about Gillis and his total overkill of his tremolo bar:D

Like where most guitar players might throw in some licks, he'll pluck a pinched or open harmonic, and do that dive bomb squeal. Kinda grows old fast, but I suppose it's his trademark:rolleyes:

But he is a good player, agreed.

I flat-out didn't care for Jake E.Lee in Ozzy's band. Bark At The Moon was a good track, and there were a few other cuts on the album that were decent, but his solos on the Ultimate Sin were just too much flash - nothing memorable.

He did some good stuff with Badlands, though...in the 5 minutes the band were together, anyway.

Seshmeister
05-18-2006, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QwamOlQxa98"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QwamOlQxa98" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

A seminal moment in my life. Salt Lake City, Utah 1985 on TV over here in a show called 'In Concert.'

I took up guitar the very next day...

I wonder if anyone saw that and decided to be a singer...:D

Seshmeister
05-18-2006, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by Terry

I flat-out didn't care for Jake E.Lee in Ozzy's band. Bark At The Moon was a good track, and there were a few other cuts on the album that were decent, but his solos on the Ultimate Sin were just too much flash - nothing memorable.

I agree about 'The Ultimate Sin' which was as weak as fuck but I loved what Jake did with the Randy Rhodes stuff.

Badlands was fine but JEL's finest moment was on that tour.

Cool as fuck. He did what Vai failed to do with CVH. He took brilliant guitar playing and tarted it up a bit leaving it as a draw because you can never beat the original.

Cheers!

ELVIS
05-18-2006, 10:52 PM
That explains your fondness for Jake...

He really was good, but I didn't have much use for him at the time...

But...

My brother and I had the audio to this show from the radio back in the day and we wore it out...

I actually like Ozzy's vocals in this even though his voice is gone...

It's even better seeing how much Ozzy was into it...

ELVIS
05-18-2006, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
He took brilliant guitar playing and tarted it up a bit leaving it as a draw because you can never beat the original.

Cheers!

I feel the same for Brad Gillis...

ELVIS
05-18-2006, 10:59 PM
Phil Soussan and Randy Castillo killed The Ultimate Sin...

Terry
05-18-2006, 10:59 PM
I agree about 'The Ultimate Sin' which was as weak as fuck but I loved what Jake did with the Randy Rhodes stuff.

Badlands was fine but JEL's finest moment was on that tour.

Cool as fuck. He did what Vai failed to do with CVH. He took brilliant guitar playing and tarted it up a bit leaving it as a draw because you can never beat the original.

Cheers!

I saw Jake on both the Bark At The Moon and Ultimate Sin tours, and he was more than capable live, agreed. He just never seemed to translate well onto Ozzy's records. I read somewhere that the Ultimate Sin was Ozzy's best selling solo record (hard to believe, seems/sounds wrong on the face of it), but I can't imagine why. None of that stuff was classic and none of it gets any airplay anymore. I dunno...do people go to the Ozzfest hoping to hear what Zakk Wylde would do when the band launches into Never Know Why?

Seshmeister
05-18-2006, 11:00 PM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Wq51eSh5lSQ"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Wq51eSh5lSQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

This is from a live UK performance on a live show in the UK called 'The Tube' which mainly dealt with indie stuff but one week had a rock show.

The Ozzy stuff was a huge disappointment. On the same show they had a very funny interview with Dave Roth(EEAS had just come out) and Paula Yates who was desperately flirting with him. A few years later she did the same thing with Mike Hutchence and now they're both dead.

UFO also played a couple of songs from their Misdemeanor album and they blew Ozzy away.

Cheers!

ELVIS
05-18-2006, 11:01 PM
Ozzy starts off singing GRATE on that...

Seshmeister
05-18-2006, 11:06 PM
I saw Jake on both the Bark At The Moon and Ultimate Sin tours, and he was more than capable live, agreed. He just never seemed to translate well onto Ozzy's records. I read somewhere that the Ultimate Sin was Ozzy's best selling solo record (hard to believe, seems/sounds wrong on the face of it), but I can't imagine why. None of that stuff was classic and none of it gets any airplay anymore. I dunno...do people go to the Ozzfest hoping to hear what Zakk Wylde would do when the band launches into Never Know Why?

It was a terrible let down for me at the time. I was a huge Ozzy fan back then. I think what happened was that Jake isn't a good writer at all, Ozzy was out of his fucking tree(I think this was around the time he tried to kill Sharon) and they didn't have Bob Daisley around to fucking sort everything out.

Looking back classic Ozzy was Bob Daisley + a great guitarist.

Nothing to do with Ozzy really...

Cheers!

ELVIS
05-18-2006, 11:10 PM
There was only one Ozzy...

But Bob Daisley wrote most of every good song...

Seshmeister
05-18-2006, 11:12 PM
I don't think BATM is on the same planet as the first two but look at stuff like Waiting for Darkness. That is some great shit. When her fucking majesty Sharon decided to replace Bob Daisley we ended up with the Ultimate Sin. Then you get Zacks first album which was fine but not amazing, just good riffs. Then you get Bob Daisley coming back briefly to do No More Tears. After that just a mediocre circus???

Full Bug
05-18-2006, 11:23 PM

Speak(or Talk as it was called here) of the Devil is my favourite recording of Black Sabbath stuff. I know that's sacrilage or whatnot but that's my opinion.
Same here, SOTD was the first album I ever bought, I must have listened to it a thousand times after I got it, that was THE album that got me into hard rock/heavy metal....

Seshmeister
05-18-2006, 11:25 PM
That explains your fondness for Jake...

He really was good, but I didn't have much use for him at the time...

But...

My brother and I had the audio to this show from the radio back in the day and we wore it out...

I actually like Ozzy's vocals in this even though his voice is gone...

It's even better seeing how much Ozzy was into it...

I've never seen anyone else do the outro solo to Bark at the Moon properly. Zack Wilde used to duck it. Jake E Lee was insanely good technically. At the Monsters of Rock Show to 70 000 in the UK in 1985 he was on the same bill as Gary Moore and Eddie Van Halen. He said he was shitting himself. I heard the show on the radio at the time and he was outstanding and played out his skin. He says that Eddie came over to him after the gig and congratulated him on his playing.

Knowing what a twisted bastard EVH can be that's a good compliment.

Cheers!

binnie
05-19-2006, 01:07 PM
Anyone remember Badlands?

Jake E Lee kicked serious ass on their records.

I have to agree that Rhoades laid down the best tracks with Ozzy tho'

But I think Zakk has the most recognizable style/ sound, you just know who's playing within two seconds.

BruinJer
05-19-2006, 01:19 PM
The first Badlands album was AMAZING... Jake was free to do his thing and the result was a kick ass album from begining to end.

binnie
05-19-2006, 01:22 PM
Hell yeah.

the second one wasn't as strong throughout but still had some killer moments

The riff on "Soul Stealer"

The third album, I really liked, really raw and spontaneous.

Also thought Ray Gillan had a cool voice.

But that first record, good times!

BruinJer
05-19-2006, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Full Bug
Same here, SOTD was the first album I ever bought, I must have listened to it a thousand times after I got it, that was THE album that got me into hard rock/heavy metal....

Yeah... it was one of the first albums I bought, I was in the 7th grade, I believe. That is still one of the best live albums ever... Here's that pic of the Speak of the Devil show at the Ritz in 1982 (the one the album was recorded from)....

binnie
05-19-2006, 02:51 PM
Cool pic!

Va Beach VH Fan
05-19-2006, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by BruinJer
He does... but his style is not suited for Ozzy's stuff BUT I think he would have blown people away if he had done a studio album or two with Ozzy. Listen to Brad's solo stuff and you'd get where he's coming from... he's a damn good guitar player.

LOL that's kind of like saying that EVH went overboard on the tapping.

Whammy stuff was BG's signature thing.

Speak(or Talk as it was called here) of the Devil is my favourite recording of Black Sabbath stuff. I know that's sacrilage or whatnot but that's my opinion. Even the boring stuff like Paranoid was brought alive by BG.

Cheers!

Used to be a running joke between me and a few of my buds who also played back in the day about Gillis and his total overkill of his tremolo bar:D

Like where most guitar players might throw in some licks, he'll pluck a pinched or open harmonic, and do that dive bomb squeal. Kinda grows old fast, but I suppose it's his trademark:rolleyes:

But he is a good player, agreed.

He did some good stuff with Badlands, though...in the 5 minutes the band were together, anyway.

I just want to state that I'm pretty god damn proud that I got such a response from my guitar-related question !!! :D

One of these days I'll have to scan in a pic of the 5150-style guitar that was made for me when I was stationed in the Phillipines in the late 80's...

That was the extent of my guitar playing.... :D

Seshmeister
05-19-2006, 09:12 PM
Fuck that you must have some more interesting pics from your time in the Phillipines.

I want to see the stuff with table tennis balls man...:)

Terry
05-19-2006, 09:47 PM
I don't think BATM is on the same planet as the first two but look at stuff like Waiting for Darkness. That is some great shit. When her fucking majesty Sharon decided to replace Bob Daisley we ended up with the Ultimate Sin. Then you get Zacks first album which was fine but not amazing, just good riffs. Then you get Bob Daisley coming back briefly to do No More Tears. After that just a mediocre circus???

Bark also had Now You See It, Now You Don't, You're No Different, Centre of Eternity, solid tunes (if unspectacular solos)...yes, Sesh, think you nailed it about Daisley's participation on that album vs. Ultimate Sin...and I was pretty impressed with the BATM title track solos...that outro is a bitch!...

Wylde did some solid stuff with Ozzy (a bit overrated as a player IMO), but neither No rest For The Wicked nor No More Tears are packed with essential tracks from start to finish like Blizzard or Diary was...

I could go to an Ozzy show and if he did nothing other than Sabbath tunes and songs from his first two solo records, I'd be fine with that.

Seshmeister
05-19-2006, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by TerryI could go to an Ozzy show and if he did nothing other than Sabbath tunes and songs from his first two solo records, I'd be fine with that.

Well that's pretty much what he's been doing for 20 years.

Which is why some of us get so angry about Sharon redoing the 1st two albums.

Sick shit.

Va Beach VH Fan
05-20-2006, 08:49 AM
Fuck that you must have some more interesting pics from your time in the Phillipines.

I want to see the stuff with table tennis balls man...:)

Actually the Ben Wa balls were during my time in Japan, but there's plenty enough to make up for that from the Phillipines... ;)

singerman
05-22-2006, 08:32 PM
wonder what jakes upto now?...my brother gave me a ozzy/jake show from live in japan in 1984,its from the mixing desk and is A+ sound quality wise...jakes playing was totally outstanding,ok he tended to do his own thing alot of the time when it came to randys solos but as a former guitarist myself,i can tell you he is probably the most underated player in the rock world....i grew up playing randy and jakes stuff. Studio wise randy had the edge on song writing but as for live work, jake hardly hits a bum note on any bootlegs ive ever heard,randy however did tend to have a weakness sometimes when playing live....going into the wrong parts of a song and hitting quite a few bum notes.As for brad gillis....very very average IMO ;-)