PDA

View Full Version : Circus Magazine calls it quits !

Diamondjimi
05-19-2006, 01:58 AM
From Blabbermouth.net

CIRCUS Magazine Is No More - May 18, 2006

According to Gawker.com, long-running rock publication Circus has closed its doors. Circus Publisher and Editor-in-Chief Gerald Rothberg has sent the following magazine-closure e-mail to the publication's contributors:

"It is with sadness and a deep sense of loss that I must inform you that I've experienced great financial loss, which includes Circus magazine. Over the last year, I've tried my best to hold on to Circus mag, selling all my personal possessions, including my home, pumping the money into the mag. And I've lost all. I've held off contacting people because of the shame and humiliation I've experienced. I'm broke. I feel like Humpty Dumpty who had a great fall.

"Circus magazine is in foreclosure. Will the magazine be resurrected? I don't know. If it will appear on the newsstands again, we'll find out. Let me say this now, I appreciate and I am grateful your contributions all these years and wish all my freelance contributors the best of health and success."

According to RockCritics.com, Rothberg started Circus in 1966 under the title Hullabaloo. In the almost 40 years since, Circus has been many different kinds of music publication. It started out as a general interest rock magazine, running stories on classic rockers such as the DOORS, GENESIS, and GRAND FUNK RAILROAD. Later, Rothberg realized that his target audience — teen boys — loved to read about their favorite rock stars over and over, month after month. So when a band like KISS hit, they were one of Circus's biggest cover stars. Circus covered all kinds of rock and pop music but always featured a large number of heavy metal and hard rock bands in its pages.

Following an unpopular move to a pop culture weekly in the mold of People in the late '70s, Rothberg went back to a monthly format and started to get back to the hard rock and heavy metal stars that made his magazine sales soar. Rothberg's lean toward those kind of acts paid off big time in the '80s when the hair metal explosion hit. Month in and month out, it was DEF LEPPARD, VAN HALEN, and BON JOVI on the covers. The hair metal years in the '80s were Rothberg's most profitable for Circus. When grunge hit in the '90s, Circus got confused and lost its focus (even putting rappers ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT on the cover one month — and getting tons of hate mail in the process).

I used to pick this mag. all the time in the CVH days. Always something on VH in there !
R.I.P.

Coyote
05-19-2006, 05:43 AM
I'd say some people already know...

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36236

bueno bob
05-19-2006, 08:24 AM
In the age of up to the minute news online and the relatively easy accesibility of it, I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of interview/news magazines go the same way within the next few years....

With sites like Blabbermouth and BWBK, I no longer have any reason to pick up any rock or metal magazine at all...

Matt White
05-19-2006, 09:41 AM
CIRCUS was always a sorta "Teen" magazine...but still sad to see it go.

binnie
05-19-2006, 10:43 AM
I think BB has a point here.

We can find out the information oursleves that we were reliant on magazines for 10-20 years ago.

Diamondjimi
05-19-2006, 05:03 PM
These days the only rock magazine I buy is "Classic Rock" from the UK .
Circus has been dead for years . IMO

Julius
05-19-2006, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by bueno bob
In the age of up to the minute news online and the relatively easy accesibility of it, I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of interview/news magazines go the same way within the next few years....

With sites like Blabbermouth and BWBK, I no longer have any reason to pick up any rock or metal magazine at all...

Excellent post, the same thought occurred to me as well. Waiting 4 months for mostly inaccurate info was a real drag.

Now let's beging the countdown to the end of Rolling Stone magazine.

I've been wishing SARS on the whole lot since middle school. Fuck them.

BITEYOASS
05-21-2006, 03:49 PM
I think Blender will stay around for a while since they have such hilarious articles.

Hardrock69
05-21-2006, 07:50 PM
I was the perfect example of a reader of Circus Magazine. I began playing electric guitar seriously in December of 1976, right when they were in their heyday.

I had a subscription that followed me around in the Army, so I was getting issues 6 months late because I moved around so much.

Too bad to see it go, but circulation of magazines and hard print media is down across the board thanks to the internet and cable TV.