PDA

View Full Version : New Clues to the Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald

Matt White
05-20-2006, 02:25 PM
Robert Roy Britt
LiveScience Managing Editor
LiveScience.com
Sat May 20, 12:00 AM ET

Weather experts have "hindcasted" the storm that sunk the Edmund Fitzgerald on Lake Superior during the November 1975.

Hurricane-force gusts and waves coming from an unexpected angle likely contributed to the disaster immortalized by Gordon Lightfoot in the song, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald," researchers say.

All 29 crewmembers died.

"During the late afternoon and early evening of Nov. 10, conditions deteriorated rapidly with winds in excess of 69 mph, hurricane-force gusts [over 74 mph] and waves more than 25 feet high," said Thomas Hultquist, science and operations officer at the NOAA National Weather Service forecast office in Negaunee, Mich.

The freighter, thought like the Titanic to be invincible, was heading south. Waves were traveling west-to-east, the new analysis shows. This could have created a hazardous rolling motion. The ship sank about 15 miles from Whitefish Bay.

Lake Superior is the largest of the Great Lakes.

"While high winds on Lake Superior are not rare, it is unusual for the waves to get that high on the lake," said Schwab. "It's unlikely that Captain Ernest McSorley, the skipper of the Edmund Fitzgerald, had ever seen anything like that in his career."

The findings are detailed in the May issue of the Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society.

GALLERY: Monster Waves
Hurricane's Waves Soared to Nearly 100 Feet
Newfound Ships from Revolutionary War Sunk on Purpose
New Method Predicts Monster Waves

That's why I keep solid ground under my feet..........................

NightProwler
05-20-2006, 03:40 PM
Just remember, when the ship is going down...he who screams the loudest, gets to Heaven first!

Matt White
05-21-2006, 09:06 AM
You are CORRECT SIR!!!

Ozzy Fudd
05-22-2006, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Matt White
That's why I keep solid ground under my feet..........................

Amen Brother

Nitro Express
05-24-2006, 03:00 AM
I bet the windsurfing that day would have been a lot of fun. Imagine popping over a 100 foot wave with 78 mile/hour wind in your sail?

jcook11
05-25-2006, 07:57 PM
Good read......Thanks Matt.

Ally_Kat
05-26-2006, 01:43 AM
I love the irony that it's always the ships thought invincible. Then BAM, watery grave.

LoungeMachine
05-26-2006, 09:37 AM
Does this mean someone needs to write another verse now?

Matt White
05-30-2006, 09:29 PM
Well...I've seen the lifeboat...anyway....:D