PDA

View Full Version : Nagin Wins Re-Election as Big Easy Mayor

ELVIS
05-21-2006, 12:00 AM
May 20, 2006

Michelle Roberts (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/N/NEW_ORLEANS_MAYOR?SITE=7219&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2006-05-20-16-43-55)
Associated Press Writer

http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/nm/20060521/2006_05_20t082056_450x301_us_hurricanes_election.j pg?x=380&y=253&sig=BegsPzu87muMvJx1C7KzWg--

ORLEANS (AP) -- Mayor Ray Nagin, whose shoot-from-the-hip style was both praised and scorned after Hurricane Katrina, narrowly won re-election over Lt. Gov. Mitch Landrieu on Saturday in the race to oversee one of the biggest rebuilding projects in U.S. history.

With 93 percent of precincts reporting, Nagin had 52.9 percent, or 56,068 votes, to Landrieu's 47.1 percent, or 49,884 votes.

Results from Louisiana's Secretary of State's Office signaled the Nagin victory. Absentee and early votes went slightly for Nagin. And while the results showed Nagin carrying majority black precincts and Landrieu winning in majority white ones, Nagin pulled a significant crossover vote in some heavily populated predominantly white precincts in Uptown New Orleans.

Nagin, a former cable television executive first elected to public office in 2002, argued the city could ill-afford to change course just as rebuilding gathered steam. His second term begins a day before the June 1 start of the next hurricane season in a city where streets are still strewn with rusting, mud-covered cars and entire neighborhoods consist of homes that are empty shells.

I want the city to come back," said 61-year-old Alice Howard, an evacuee who returned by bus from Houston to cast her ballot. "This is my city. This is home to me. ... I want to make sure the correct person takes care of home."

:elvis:

FORD
05-21-2006, 12:25 AM
Not bad, considering that a lot of people who voted for him last time probably couldn't even get a ballot today.

Unchainme
05-21-2006, 02:20 AM
We need to make this a chocolate city, Combining the vanilia and all this other stuf.

Sorry He seems like a pretty sucky mayor to me.