PDA

View Full Version : Who's the greatest drummer of all time?

WARF
05-21-2006, 09:25 PM
Cast your votes

WARF
05-21-2006, 09:34 PM
I'm going with Copeland from the police!!!

guwapo_rocker
05-21-2006, 09:58 PM
Neil Peart gets my vote....awesome.

Terry
05-21-2006, 10:32 PM
Think all those drummers on the voting list are awesome (even Ringo and Lee are in their own genre/way)...

But realistically, it came down to Buddy Rich and Terry Bozzio, and wasn't even close between those two and the rest of the pack...

Rich was brilliant...

But there's a reason why Bozzio has been able to play alongside the likes of Frank Zappa, Steve Vai and Jeff Beck, and a reason why he is packing drummers in at solo drum concerts and clinics these days...he's THAT fucking good.

I don't really dig "greatest" or best of polls, but Bozzio could easily duplicate anything any of those other drummers on the list has done, yet I doubt even Pearl could pull off some of the shit Bozzio has done. The only ones on that list with the ABILITY to come remotely close are Pearl and Copeland...maybe Rich in some aspects...

Terry Bozzio is the fucking man. No offense to fans of the others listed.

Peace.

guwapo_rocker
05-21-2006, 10:44 PM
Is your t broken?:D

Matt White
05-21-2006, 11:00 PM
Phil Rudd

FORD
05-21-2006, 11:15 PM
Can't go with just one, because drummers do different things.

For power - John Bonham

For technical ability - Neil Peart, with Stewart Copeland a close second.

And for pure inimitable style - and best "lead drummer" ever - Keith Moon.

Panamark
05-22-2006, 01:56 AM
Bonzo !!!

binnie
05-22-2006, 02:52 AM
Bonzo

'Nuff said

Mr Badguy
05-22-2006, 07:03 AM
Neil Peart gets my vote.

Not just for "drumming" but running the gamut of percussion: xylophone, glockenspiel, electronic drums, tree bells, timbales etc.

An artist.

Shaun Ponsonby
05-22-2006, 07:12 AM
Between Peart and Rich

Cato
05-22-2006, 07:14 AM
Bozzio.
my fave guitarist is Jeff Beck and his fave drummer is Bozzio. therefore, my fave drummer is Bozzio.:cato2:

Mr Badguy
05-22-2006, 08:20 AM
Bill Bruford should be on that list.

knerken
05-22-2006, 08:21 AM
Damn, I voted too fast! I voted Tommy Lee, but I know my favourite really is: http://students.dwc.edu/savard_raymond/images/animal.gif

Shaun Ponsonby
05-22-2006, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy
Bill Bruford should be on that list.

Indeed...

Hardrock69
05-22-2006, 09:32 AM
I tend to agree that they are ALL the greatest...at what they each bring to the table.

Kieth Moon is the ABSOLUTE PERSONIFICATION of a Rock Drummer.

I voted for Terry Bozzio.

I first met him in 1995 in Kansas City. Had all access passes to Santana/Jeff Beck (the Lighting Designer for the tour was an acquaintance of mine), and so hung out on the tour bus after Jeff Beck's set. drinking (what else?) Beck's beer and smoking weed.

Hung out with Terry for half an hour just bullshitting about stuff.

Saw him again a couple of years later at a clinic he put on in Wichita.

Fucking brilliant player.

I agree......pretty much Buddy Rich & Terry Bozio leave them all in the dust in terms of technique...
And YES...Buddy Rich deserves to be classified as "Rock Drummer".

:cool:

binnie
05-22-2006, 09:43 AM
AVH is an underatted, drummer

not sayiing he's the greatest, but just giving him some props.

Also Dave Lombardo is a phenomenon, a very influencial.

Igor Cavellera is underatted too, he can make one kit sound like 10.

ElPatron
05-22-2006, 12:56 PM
Neil Peart.

binnie
05-22-2006, 01:12 PM
What's the drummer from Tool called, he is exceptional

VHdamaco
05-22-2006, 01:17 PM
stuart copeland...

you have anyone else in there drumming for the police, they aren't half the band they were, i don't give a shit how good a songwriter sting is...

Shaun Ponsonby
05-22-2006, 01:44 PM
Why isn't Portnoy in the list?

guwapo_rocker
05-22-2006, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by binnie
AVH is an underatted, drummer

not sayiing he's the greatest, but just giving him some props.

Also Dave Lombardo is a phenomenon, a very influencial.

Igor Cavellera is underatted too, he can make one kit sound like 10.

Al uses a lot of toys for a drummer imo....cheats a little.

WARF
05-22-2006, 04:13 PM
I am only allowed 10 options. 9 of which can only be used for actual drummers.

binnie
05-22-2006, 04:29 PM
LOL!

WARF
05-22-2006, 04:33 PM
I love this... no votes for ALEX at classic Van Halen web site!

Awesome!

binnie
05-22-2006, 04:35 PM
Hey I think he's a great drummer, just not the best ever.

But it is ironic

DrMaddVibe
05-22-2006, 04:47 PM
Peart.

Out of all of the drummers Peart could duplicate the others. Copeland and Moon MIGHT be able to touch Peart.

I've been listening to CVH a lot lately...Alice can double kick with the best but he doesn't belong on a "Greatest" list.

mako_kimura
05-22-2006, 04:52 PM
Well, I went with other, my other being Scott Rockenfield.

Terry
05-22-2006, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by guwapo_rocker
Is your t broken?:D

Yeah...why the fuck AM I typing Neil PearL? lol

PumpedUpMidget
05-22-2006, 10:08 PM
Peart and Bonham with honorable mention to Nigel Olsson

binnie
05-23-2006, 08:24 AM
Out of interest, what does anyone think makes a great drummer?

Do you go for dazzling technique? (Peart)

Power? (Bonham)

Or something else, perhaps underplaying helps the overall sound of the band more, Matt Sorum anyone?

Also surprised no-one has thought of Grohl. I'm not the worlds biggest Nirvana fan, but he is a killer drummer.

His work on the last NIN album kicks ass and he makes every band he works with sound better

Oh and Cozy Powell, don't think I need to explain that one

Hardrock69
05-23-2006, 11:44 AM
There is really no single thing that makes for grateness.

binnie
05-23-2006, 12:16 PM
wow, you are a wise man, that's a great answer!

Mr Badguy
05-24-2006, 12:11 PM
Billy Cobham.

Coyote
05-24-2006, 12:22 PM
Vinnie fuckin' Paul! (Pantera)

Jimmy Jingles
05-24-2006, 02:20 PM
Peart is the shit.

For pure metal drumming...

Dave Fucking Lombardo!

binnie
05-24-2006, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Jimmy Jingles
[

For pure metal drumming...

Dave Fucking Lombardo! [/B]

Yep, he sure is

Romeo Delight
05-24-2006, 06:32 PM
How can Bonham not be winning this?

I like Rush, but please. He has no feel, soul.

Seshmeister
05-24-2006, 07:54 PM
Well the Roth Army posters go with me on Neil Peart.

The only guy whose drum solo is the highlight of a show rather than time to get the beers in.

Seshmeister
05-24-2006, 07:56 PM
I'm surprised Copeland got 3 votes.

Surely the #1 priority in a drummer is to keep good time?

He can't.

Ozzy Fudd
07-04-2006, 09:06 PM
Cozy Powell
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2YLsULfQUUE&mode=related&search=

sadaist
07-05-2006, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by WARF
I love this... no votes for ALEX at classic Van Halen web site!

Awesome!

42 votes & over a month later, and still a big goose egg for Alex. I voted Bonham. But my favorite drummer has always been Dave Lombardo. His sound is as easily identifiable as Eddie Van Halen's guitar.

MAPRamone
07-05-2006, 02:40 AM
I voted for other. Jack DeJohnette is my fav. Played with who's who of jazz.

thome
07-05-2006, 09:42 AM
Depends so much on the mood i'm in, all drummers listed are the stuff.

Ian Paice is the real, type, style, i like.

Jerry H
07-05-2006, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Ozzy Fudd
Cozy Powell
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2YLsULfQUUE&mode=related&search=

The best Drummer of all time.

That is an easy one......

Jeff Porcaro

http://www.drummerworld.com/pics/drum3/jeffporcaro2.jpg

Jeff Porcaro...

Jeff Porcaro was born on April 1, 1954, in Hartford, Connecticut and first got interested in drumming due to the influence of his father. He began playing seriously at age seven though he is sure "I was playing even earlier than that. Only my father would actually know when I got started." Formal lessons initially came from papa Joe, followed by further studies with Bob Zimmitti and Rich Lapore.

If drummer Jeff Porcaro had never co-founded the immensely popular group TOTO his stature as an artist would nevertheless be assured. At age 28 Jeff has achieved a pinnacle of expertise and recognition accorded few players in a lifetime. Since leaving high school during his senior year to accompany Sonny and Cher in Las Vegas Jeff has toured and recorded with Seals and Crofts, Boz Scaggs, and Steely Dan.

Jeff Porcaro never had visions of being the world's greatest drummer. He didn't believe in putting that kind of pressure on himself. And even though drums have shaped and molded virtually every facet of his present life, he's never once been controlled by them.

From the start of his career, Jeff Porcaro was viewed as one of the music industry's top drummers. Porcaro possessed an impeccable sense of rhythm as well as a versatility that bridged virtually every style. Among the hundreds of albums he played on were Boz Scaggs' "Silk Degrees" (for which he wrote "Lowdown" and "Lido Shuffle") [sic], Dire Straits" "On Every Street", Michael Jackson's "Thriller", Elton John's "Jump Up", Don Henley's "End Of The Innocence", Warren Zevon's "Excitable Boy", Rickie Lee Jones' debut, and Bruce Springsteen's "Human Touch".

A partial list of other artists he played with includes Bonnie Raitt, the Bee Gees, Jackson Browne, Michael McDonald, Lowell George, Hall & Oates, Etta James, Joe Cocker, Nils Lofgren, Manhattan Transfer, Greg Lake, George Benson, Larry Carlton, Paul McCartney, Pink Flyod, Elton John, Michael Jackson, Peter Frampton, Airplay, Peter Allen, America, and Stanley Clarke.

Jeff Porcaro suffered a heart attack and died on August 5, 1992. He was using a pesticide in his yard and an allergic reaction to the substance triggered the attack. An autopsy revealed a serious heart condition that had been previously undiagnosed. A report issued by the office of the Los Angeles County Coroner a month later also mentioned that a minute trace of cocaine was found in his body. Although traces of cocaine can remain in a body for years, the media latched on to the drug reference and widely reported that cocaine abuse was the cause of death. Unfortunately this rumor persists, in spite of repeated statements by those who knew him well that he had not used the drug for many years.

Jeff's funeral, attended by an estimated 1500 people, was held August 10th in the Hall of Liberty at Forest Lawn Memorial Park (Hollywood Hills), where he was buried. The Jeff Porcaro Memorial Fund was established to benefit the music and art departments of Grant High School in Los Angeles where Jeff was a student in the early 70s. It also provides four scholarships each year to Grant High School seniors. A memorial concert took place at the Universal Amphitheater in Los Angeles on December 14th, with an all-star line up that included Boz Scaggs, Donald Fagen, Don Henley, Michael McDonald, Eddie Van Halen, and, of course, Toto. The proceeds of the concert were used to establish an educational trust fund for Jeff's sons.

Jeff was survived by his parents Joe and Eileen, brothers Mike and Steve, sister Joleen, wife Susan, and sons Christopher, Miles and Nico, and by many, many friends and fans who will never forget him.

Here is just a few of the people Jeff played with in his career.....

Toto
Steely Dan
Boz Scaggs
Tommy Bolin
David Gilmour
Claire Marlo
David Foster
Chuck Findley
Jay Graydon
Victor Feldman
Steve Porcaro
Mike Porcaro
Michael Boddicker
Fred Tackett
Larry Carlton
Lee Sklar
Jim Keltner
Tom Scott
Ernie Watts
Herp Alpert
Alessi Brothers
Patti Austin
Chet Atkins
Jeff Berlin
Eric Carmen
Ray Charles
Eric Clapton
Dire Straits
Dr. John
Earth, Wind & Fire
Robben Ford
Randy Newman
Lee Ritenour
Leo Sayer
Paul Simon
Bette Middler

:eek:

nosuchluck
07-05-2006, 01:40 PM
went with Terry Bozzio - he's got great chops.

there isn't a drummer on that list that i don't like...

WARF
07-05-2006, 02:34 PM
You guys are still voting lol.

Vinnie Velvet
07-05-2006, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy
Neil Peart gets my vote.

Not just for "drumming" but running the gamut of percussion: xylophone, glockenspiel, electronic drums, tree bells, timbales etc.

An artist.

A lyricist also.

Remember, its Peart who has written the lyrics for Rush songs.

Vinnie Velvet
07-05-2006, 03:03 PM
Scott Travis (Racer X, Judas Priest) deserves a mention.

Shaun Ponsonby
07-06-2006, 02:57 PM
Bonham winning?

I don't know. Always felt he is/was overrated. Moonie was better than him, IMO.

binnie
07-06-2006, 03:50 PM
I reckon if you conducted a poll of rock drummers, they'd all say Bonham.

He's got everything

Power and technique, as well as an individual style.

Warham
07-06-2006, 05:05 PM
Keith Moon in a landslide. :)

DR CHIP
07-06-2006, 05:17 PM
Buddy Rich
Cobham
Virgil Donati
Bozio

Peart and the others aren't even close....

Peart actually did a tribute drum video and HE himself says he isn't a hair on the ass of Buddy Rich, Cobham, etc....why? Because he isn't!! He knows it, because he is a great drummer, but not even close to the greatest of all time

Why do people always get their own personal music tatses (which I am totally in favor of subjectively) in the way of true honest musicianship??

John Bonham and Tommy Lee are SO far from being the best drummer it isn't even funny...I laugh when I see them and others mentioned in the same breathe as Rich.....

Mr Grimsdale
07-06-2006, 05:39 PM
if WARF could have put a 10th drummer up there it should have been Gene Krupa, along with Buddy Rich they pretty much ruled the big band/jazz combo roost

Mr Grimsdale
07-06-2006, 05:42 PM
mike portnoy
rod morgenstein

Shaun Ponsonby
07-07-2006, 04:15 AM
Obviously, Jazz drummers are the best.

I reckon if you conducted a poll of rock drummers, they'd all say Bonham.

He's got everything

Power and technique, as well as an individual style.

I don't know. I always see it as a "its not that hes great its that hes dead thing", or something like that. I just don't see it. My brother's a drummer, and he doesn't see it either.

Maybe its a gene that the family have.

binnie
07-07-2006, 04:45 AM
I remember when classic rock asked some music school last year, Bonham came top.....

They were all drummers that voted.

But hey, its all down to personal opinion right?

Shaun Ponsonby
07-07-2006, 05:13 AM
Yes, and I believe Ringo and Charlie Watts were also in that list.

binnie
07-07-2006, 05:24 AM
Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
Yes, and I believe Ringo and Charlie Watts were also in that list.

LOL!

Good point, Ringo wasn't great.

Although Charlie Watts is much better than you'd think, listen to his solo stuff, he's quite a good jazz drummer.....

MAPRamone
07-07-2006, 05:56 AM
I remember when classic rock asked some music school last year, Bonham came top.....

They were all drummers that voted.

But hey, its all down to personal opinion right?

Bonham is certainly not the greatest but he had a personal style. With John Paul Jones he formed a rhythm section which was far more tha a sum of it's parts. Similarly Jones is much loved a a number of bassists even though, like Bonham, his technical skill was limited.

nosuchluck
07-07-2006, 04:21 PM
if you include fusion drummers, Dennis Chambers and Dave Weckl would eat all of those guys on the list, imo

guitarboy5150
07-07-2006, 10:12 PM
im surprised ginger baker is not on that list...

Bob_R
07-07-2006, 10:24 PM
Neil Peart.

FORD
07-08-2006, 03:42 AM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LA0i9MwO0aE"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LA0i9MwO0aE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Bob_R
07-08-2006, 01:21 PM
Thanks FORD. That was kewl. :cool:

Top Jimmy
07-08-2006, 02:40 PM
Bill Ward is God.

You are all damned to Satan's Hellfire for not including
the drummer for Black Sabbath on this list.

It isn't about guys who can play 'technically' well, but have NO SOUL.

Bill Ward oozes feeling in his playing, and has a black soul to share with you all.

You have to give a song BREATHING ROOM.....

MAPRamone
07-09-2006, 02:12 AM
Not my fave, but i gotta mention Vinnie Colaiuta. His playing with Zappa was incredible.

The_KiD
07-09-2006, 12:56 PM
My nod goes to Neil...He does all things well..

KiD