PDA

View Full Version : Dream Theater

binnie
05-27-2006, 08:53 AM
I'm curious to find out what other people think of this band.

I've tried but I just can't get into them.

I appreciate that they are all unbelievably talented musicians, it just sometimes seems like musical masturbation to me.

Anybody recommend albums I should check out? I feel I am missing something, as most fans of metal seem to like them.

I suppose it ties into a wider debate about music - at what point does musical showmanship descend into self indulgent masturbation?

DavidLeeNatra
05-27-2006, 11:57 AM
I hate them, because our drummer is a big fan and always tries to play like them when a simple fuck/shit-beat is needed...

binnie
05-27-2006, 12:24 PM
Ahh

Seems like you may be with me, that sometimes less is more...

The_KiD
05-27-2006, 01:53 PM
There is certainly no shortage of talent in the group, I will give them that. I have a few of their albums including their most recent release and I dunno.. They just don't do it for me..

KiD

binnie
05-27-2006, 02:09 PM
It's the same for me too, I want to like them, I just can't listen to them for very long.

DeadOrAlive
05-27-2006, 06:25 PM
I used to hate them at first. It took me about a good 3 hours of sitting down and just listening to them, and then I started to dig it alot.

Check out Glass Prison, Caught in a Web, and Beyond This Life. Three good songs to check out, they're my favorites.

DeadOrAlive
05-27-2006, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by binnie
Ahh

Seems like you may be with me, that sometimes less is more...

One mistake alot of bands make today: They think they show off with complicated licks.

Let's take a step back. In 1980, ACDC released Back in Black and is now the 6th best selling record. The music is incredibly simplistic, but you can still rock the fuck out. Same applies with alot of other classic rock bands.

ElPatron
05-27-2006, 09:49 PM
binnie, there's no mistery to DT
they are a great band probably in my top 5...one thing is sure if you are into "less is more..."
DT is not for you:)

binnie
05-28-2006, 04:44 AM
Ha Ha, thanks!

I will continue to listen to 'em, maybe they will grow on me