PDA

View Full Version : Pat Robertson Leg Presses 2,000 Lbs?!?!

BITEYOASS
05-27-2006, 06:19 PM
VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. - Religious broadcaster Pat Robertson says he has leg-pressed 2,000 pounds, but some say he'd be in a pretty tough spot if he tried.

ADVERTISEMENT

The "700 Club" host's feat of strength is recounted on the Web site of his Christian Broadcasting Network, in a posting headlined "How Pat Robertson Leg Pressed 2,000 Pounds."

According to the CBN Web site, Robertson worked his way up to lifting a ton with the help of his physician, who is not named. The posting does not say when the lift occurred, but a CBN spokeswoman released photos to The Associated Press that she said showed Robertson lifting 2,000 pounds in 2003, when Robertson was 73. He is now 76.

The Web posting said two men loaded the leg-press machine with 2,000 pounds "and then let it down on Mr. Robertson, who pushed it up one rep and let it go back down again." The Web site said several people witnessed the event, and shows video of Robertson leg-pressing what appears to be 1,000 pounds.

Clay Travis of CBS SportsLine.com called the 2,000-pound assertion impossible in a column this week, writing that the leg-press record for football players at Florida State University is 665 pounds less.

"Where in the world did Robertson even find a machine that could hold 2,000 pounds at one time?" Travis asked.

Andy Zucker, a strength-training coach at Old Dominion University in Norfolk, said leg presses of more than 1,000 pounds represent "a Herculean effort, and 2,000 pounds is a whole other story."

"If he was able to lift that much weight, I take my hat off to him, but the numbers suggest that people who lift that much weight are few and far between," Zucker said. "One would have to see what type of leg press it was on and under what parameters it was done."

CBN spokeswoman Angell Vasko said Friday that Robertson was not available for comment because he was "out of pocket" for the long holiday weekend.

Vasko said she has not seen Robertson leg-press 2,000 pounds but that it's not "a huge shocker" that he could.

"Pat is so healthy," she said. "This is something he trained for over an extended period of time. He lives a very healthy, regimented life."

One of the photos Vasko released had a digital date stamp of 1994, although she said Robertson performed the leg press in 2003. Vasko said that perhaps the date was not set properly on the camera.

The CBN Web site attributes Robertson's energy in part to "his age-defying protein shake." The site offers a recipe for the shake, which contains ingredients such as soy protein isolate, whey protein isolate, flaxseed oil and apple cider vinegar.

___

Flash Bastard
05-27-2006, 09:38 PM
He's full of shit. I'm a buff motherfucker 1/3rd his age and I can only press 600 on my best day.

I guess his 'God' helped him. :rolleyes:

Dan
05-27-2006, 10:07 PM
LOL.2,000 pounds.

DrMaddVibe
05-27-2006, 10:57 PM
LooooooooooooooL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Little Texan
05-27-2006, 11:39 PM
That man is either losing his mind, or he is a liar. The story mentions that the record for football players at Florida State, strong, physically fit athletes a third his age, is 1335 lbs. He was 73 years old when he supposedly leg pressed 2000 lbs? That just wreaks of bullshit!

BITEYOASS
05-27-2006, 11:49 PM
So the cause of death in his future will be a freak gym accident. :D

FORD
05-28-2006, 12:20 AM
Either that, or that "Bee Jelly" shit that Ben used to sell on the 700 Club really works well.

Bees are supposed to be able to lift 6 time their own weight aren't they?

Or is that ants?

Steve Savicki
05-28-2006, 12:44 AM
2000 lbs. divided by how many reps?
10 reps of 200? I can do that and more.

This is cumulitive weight, like Mission Impossible's Peter Lupus:
http://www.vitaminrelief.org/images/pdf_images/media_events/lupus_event_pr.pdf#search='peter%20lupus%20world%2 0record'

Big difference between 2,000 and 75,480.

jcook11
05-28-2006, 02:12 AM
FUCK PAT ROBERTSON AND THE SO CALLED CHURCH .....FUCKEM FUCKEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nitro Express
05-28-2006, 03:36 AM
You can lift all sorts of heavy wieght when you have leverage. Gee, I lifted a 4,300 lb Land Rover this mornig with the help of a Hi-Lift jack. Amazing! I did it with just one arm too!

FORD
05-28-2006, 03:43 AM
Granted, you have to leg press with a machine. About the only leg exercizes you could do with free weights would be leg curls or extentions depending on which way you're laying on the bench.

Of course I haven't done any of that shit in so long, I'm afraid my almost 40 year old knees wouldn't forgive me for it. Luckily, a lifetime of bike riding (at least the first half of my life) gave me decent enough leg muscles to last a while.

Wish I could say the same about the upper body....

Steve Savicki
05-28-2006, 07:43 AM
FORD, do you do spinning?
(Spin cycling?)

Sgt Schultz
05-28-2006, 10:15 AM
Well, also note that he's using the upper level foot rest which is much easier than the lower one.

bueno bob
05-29-2006, 09:16 AM
It's not so hard to believe.

Shit, I can press 2,000 pounds with remarkably little effort. Multiple reps, too.

Of course, I have to get REALLY ANGRY and turn into the Hulk first, but...

thome
05-29-2006, 09:55 AM
Big deal can he sleep thru the night without getting up to piss 5 times.

Any seventy yr old will tell you that's a real feat of strength..lol

pussy!

ELVIS
05-29-2006, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Steve Savicki
FORD, do you do spinning?
(Spin cycling?)

:D

ELVIS
05-29-2006, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by FORD
I haven't done any of that shit in so long, I'm afraid my almost 40 year old knees wouldn't forgive me for it. Luckily, a lifetime of bike riding (at least the first half of my life) gave me decent enough leg muscles to last a while.

I disagree...

I've been riding regularly since rehab, and if I stop for two weeks It's difficult to ride any distance...

Wish I could say the same about the upper body....

If you would leave the BCE alone and pick up something heavier than an overpriced ale on the weekend, you could...

The ladies would notice too, trust me...

As for as Pat Robertson...

It's a MIRACLE !!

:elvis: