PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Guitar Solo

binnie
05-28-2006, 10:03 AM
Ok, wanted to do this as a poll but I couldn't narrow it down.

What are your fav solo's?

The one's that a guarenteed to get you playing airguitar on stand slack jawed every time?

(I'm still researching mine)

frets5150
05-28-2006, 10:16 AM
I'm The One

binnie
05-28-2006, 02:45 PM
That's a good choice, Eddie's playing throughtout that song is unbelievable!

Coyote
05-28-2006, 02:55 PM
Pantera's "Psycho Holiday".

Mr Badguy
05-28-2006, 03:53 PM
"Machine gun" by Jimi Hendrix from "Band of gypsies".

Also the one at the end of "Tonight" by Ozzy, played by Randy Rhoads, sprung to mind as that`s also one I love to listen to. It isn`t structured at all and sounds like he`s just winging it but it is amazing.

binnie
05-28-2006, 04:08 PM
I'm gonna give "Tonight" another listen

The_KiD
05-28-2006, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Coyote
Pantera's "Psycho Holiday".

Nice FOOKIN Pick...

I miss ole Dimebag

Cheers,

KiD

flappo
05-28-2006, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by frets5150
I'm The One

exc choice

exc sig too !!

:D

Jérôme Frenchise
05-28-2006, 05:36 PM
This section is supposed to deal with any music BUT DLR or CVH, so...

As I have way too many fave solos, I'll mention one from a guitarist who is almost never evoked here, despite his being among the golden greats: ROBERT FRIPP.

He's made damn many since 1969 with King Crimson, but I chose a rather recent solo that he played on a track called "You have to be happy with what you have to be with" - track #9-, on their 2001 release "The Power to believe" (which is not indispensable, BTW).

The solo only lasts 20 seconds, but... how intense. Fripp plays the most high-pitched notes on that one, with that relentlessness that belongs to no other than him.
The riff of the song itself is worth it as well.

There are dozens and dozens of other soli that I'm thinking of, generally speaking, by dozens of different guitar players. But I'll mention another one by Fripp, the one that is on "Sleepless" (album: "Red", 1974, a must). The track starts real slow, like in cotton, but about half-way there's a break that opens towards different riffs, and the trio slowly winds up playing very damn fast, Fripp and the other two (Bill Bruford on drums and John Wetton on bass & vocals). I mean, it's not only incredible skills that are put there altogether to show off, there's such a unity in the whole song - around 12 minutes long - that the incredible solo (fast and very elaborate, that I'd personally define as "heavy jazz") doesn't sound like an "obligation". There's a splendid, genuine and natural structure in the track that makes the (long, despite the speed) solo just an episode of a whole story.
I insist on its natural side because since the 1970s, how many guitar solos have sounded false, due to the fact that it was the obligatory exercise in any guitar-led song to include some fast-playing notes about in the middle... How many tunes have sounded artificial, with more or less apparent "link shots" (the most obvious example IMO being Iron Maiden)?...

Anyway, I think that Robert Fripp is an amazing guitarist among amazing guitarists, and by mentioning two of his solos I am wondering what is your take, you fellow Army Rothers, as far as his guitar playing, which is something that shouldn't be reckoned without when it comes to determine who the kings of guitar are. :cool:

binnie
05-29-2006, 03:37 AM
Ok, narrowed it down:

Pride & Glory "Shine On" (the end solo blows my mind!)

G'N'R "Sweet Child O'Mine" (overated song, but Slash shines here)
"You could be mine"

Metallica "The Unforgiven" & "The Struggle Within" (Kirk's finest hour?)

Ozzy "Mr. Crowley"

UFO "Rock Bottom"

ACDC "Whole Lotta Rosie"

Wawazat
05-29-2006, 09:29 AM
Frank Zappa - The Ocean Is The Ultimate Solution

sadaist
05-29-2006, 03:57 PM
Def Leppard - Switch 625 & Armegeddon It (Come on Steve, Get It)

Metallica - Fade To Black

binnie
05-29-2006, 04:00 PM
Fade to black is a good choice, that is a fantastic solo

MAPRamone
06-24-2006, 12:40 PM
Zappa -Watermelon in easter hay, the solo from Zomby Woof from The Band You Never Heard...
EVH - the solo from Romeo Delight and ofcourse Eruption

Last_Child
06-24-2006, 12:44 PM
Mick Ronson - Slaugher On 10th Avenue

Owns Everything.

binnie
06-24-2006, 12:55 PM
Slash- Sweet Child O Mine

I know it's overplayed, but that solo is trult outstanding!

bueno bob
06-24-2006, 01:32 PM
Dokken/George Lynch - Mr. Scary

Anything by Tony Iommi...

Most everything from Billy Gibbons...

Everything from Yngwie Malmsteen...say...1981 to 1996...and a few things thereafter...

Kirk's solo at the end of Hit the Lights...

Jake E Lee on Bark at the Moon...

Everything from the first two Racer X albums, Paul Gilbert...

Everything from the first two Tony MacAlpine albums...

Every fucking guitar break Criss Oliva ever took...he has the ultimate distinction of having NEVER made any mistake or poor choice of note/chord/progression through his whole fucking life...

Dave Chandler (Saint Vitus/Debris Inc.) and Buzz Osbourne (The Melvins) tie with their material...they're nowhere near soloists, per se, but they absolutely kick ass in whatever passes for their solo breaks... ;)

Anything either Jason or Marty did on the Cacophony albums...

Alex Skolnik - anything on the first four or five Testament albums...

Steve Howe - COULD overplay everything, but DOESN'T...and that's the most telling aspect of his playing right there...either Asia or Yes...

All of Jase Edwards' work on the first two Wolfsbane albums...the kid would have been LEGENDARY ten years earlier...damn shame...

Jeff Waters...Crystal Ann...first song off the first Annihilator album...and pretty much all of his playing on the first two Annihilator albums is fucking righteous...

Don Dokken's solo on the original version of "Felony" (NOT the one on the Breaking the Chains LP...the one on that "Back in the Streets" bootleg when Don was 3/4ths of the band, playing guitar, bass and singing - very buttrock but very cool, anyway)...

I heard a bootleg of Phil Anselmo doing a guitar solo live that was...unspeakably good...unreal...

ALL of Tommy Vetterli's solos from the Coroner albums (AFTER "Punishment for Decadence"...after that album, the "spiraling solos" took a back seat to more thought-out playing)...

Off the top of my head, anyway...

mako_kimura
06-24-2006, 01:38 PM
I've got a few:

1. Mr. Scary (Who doesn't like George Lynch?)
2. Miracle Man (Young Zakk is the best)
3. Tears of Sahara-Tony MacAlpine (This guy is amazing)
4. Way Cool Jr. (Warren DeMartini is great)
5. Family Ghost (Andy LaRocque is stupid good!)

binnie
06-24-2006, 02:29 PM
Holy shit Bob, Cacophany, havn't heard them in years.

Hell I'm gonna dig my vinyl out tommorrow and crank it up.

Good call.

Some interesting choices there Bob/Mako

Terry
06-24-2006, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy
"Machine gun" by Jimi Hendrix from "Band of gypsies".

Also the one at the end of "Tonight" by Ozzy, played by Randy Rhoads, sprung to mind as that`s also one I love to listen to. It isn`t structured at all and sounds like he`s just winging it but it is amazing.

Agreed on Machine Gun.

Ozzy has said Diary was kind of rushed, and I can hear it on the outro to Tonight, where RR kinda starts to fizzle out as the song fades, then bursts into a flurry of notes - it almost sounds like a first pass at a solo that was recorded and ended up being kept.

Terry
06-24-2006, 03:01 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mako_kimura
[B]I've got a few:

4. Way Cool Jr. (Warren DeMartini is great)

Warren DeMartini is great, agreed.

Way Cool Jr. ............mmmmmmmmmmnotsomuch.

1984dlrvh12
06-24-2006, 05:46 PM
i have a couple. round and round by ratt/ back in black by acdc/ and photograph by def leppard. theirs no dlr/vh only because this is supposed to be other then dlr/vh i guess.

Anonymous
06-24-2006, 08:22 PM
Favourite, eh? Well, I guess my favorite all time solos - I mean the ones that sound really grate to me, nevermind if they are or not original, technically perfect and fuileed with soul - are, in this particular order:

1. The end solo for 'Let It Rock', on the Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band's Nine Tonight live album. I don't know, it's just dead on! Complements one badass Chuck Berry's medley perfectly. This is also my all time favorite live albums. It's awesome!

2. Vai's solo on 'Ladies Night in Buffalo'. Shit, that thing is out of this world, absolutely brilliant.

3. Ross the Boss's solo on Manowar's 'Hail and Kill'. THE Heavy Metal solo. Perfect.

Cheers! :bottle:

rustoffa
06-24-2006, 08:53 PM
Angus' "Riff Raff" solo on IYWBYGI......too many others to mention.

Panamark
06-24-2006, 10:59 PM
The one solo that always amazes me is Jimmy Page in "Stairway to Heaven". The feel he gets out of a very basic scale, is incredible.

thome
06-24-2006, 11:05 PM
So there i was but nakid before god and every body slammin down on my Bass and then i realised i got no git fiddle, so i'm bangin her anyway,It's all cool, so she thought? then all the sudden.... she realised i got no git fiddle so that was when she knew it was cool.

It's jus like Bliss...............

thome
06-24-2006, 11:10 PM
Neee deep in my favorites.

Lil dity bout this an that,, Nite in the Ruts
\
or was rite in the nuts.......?

MERRYKISSMASS2U
06-24-2006, 11:11 PM
Queensryche - The Needle Lies and Van Halen - One Foot Out the Door.

The whole song is a solo! :)

thome
06-24-2006, 11:14 PM
My girl is RED hot!

thome
06-24-2006, 11:18 PM
Well I am the Red Man might as well have a red hot girl.

girls and the progression they bring along it's time to leave it's time to steal away check my time, with the mirrror for the sun.......

bueno bob
06-25-2006, 05:46 AM
Originally posted by binnie
Holy shit Bob, Cacophany, haven't heard them in years.

I recently busted out my copies of "Go Off!" and "Speed Metal Symphony"...great albums...they needed to have more, too...

God damn Roth and Megadeth, anyway! :mad:

:)

MERRYKISSMASS2U
06-25-2006, 05:49 AM
Megadeth - 5 Magics is insane.

MAPRamone
06-25-2006, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by Panamark
The one solo that always amazes me is Jimmy Page in "Stairway to Heaven". The feel he gets out of a very basic scale, is incredible.

That's one of my favourites too, only as the Zappa version on The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life. Mike Keneally on Guitar and the entire horn section play it note for note! It fucking rocks!

mako_kimura
06-25-2006, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by 1984dlrvh12
i have a couple. round and round by ratt/ back in black by acdc/ and photograph by def leppard. theirs no dlr/vh only because this is supposed to be other then dlr/vh i guess.

Of course you'd say that. You and every other dumb teenager on the face of the planet. All those are good, but don't listen to stuff you've heard six million times. Hell, I listen to stuff no one's ever heard of

mako_kimura
06-25-2006, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by bueno bob

God damn Roth and Megadeth, anyway! :mad:

:)

Why for? I loved Jason in Roth, and hell, Marty was better than Chris Poland

binnie
06-25-2006, 10:28 AM
I think Bob means for providing those two with jobs when they could have kept making music together.

It was a joke, i think

bueno bob
06-25-2006, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by binnie
I think Bob means for providing those two with jobs when they could have kept making music together.

It was a joke, i think

Exactly...

Mr. Vengeance
06-25-2006, 11:59 AM
If anyone remembers the long vesion of that Hear n' Aid single, Stars (it was that all-star metal band that jumped on the Aid for Africa bandwagon) all the guitarists from that era of metal each took a solo. George Lynch's was absolutely the smokingest solo I ever heard this side of EVH's Eruption.

I also like Goerge's solo on It's Not Love and Warren Di Martini's part on Round and Round.

m_dixon1984
06-25-2006, 08:28 PM
Lots of great soloists and songs mentioned already so I'm going to add someone and a song that's missing:

Steve Hackett (formerly of Genesis) - Horizons.

It's an instrumental piece but it's really as close to a solo that Genesis every got. They were always more interested in playing as an ensemble than on their individual talents (which were quite extraordinary, I must say).

M

Matt White
06-25-2006, 08:43 PM
LYNCH: IN MY DREAMS

ANGUS: WALK ALL OVER YOU

ADRIAN SMITH: WASTED YEARS

MALMSTEEN: MISTREATED

Matt White
06-25-2006, 08:44 PM
MCCREADY: ALIVE

CANTRELL: MAN IN THE BOX

DIMEBAG: BECOMING

NUGENT: GRATE WHITE BUFFALO

Mr. Vengeance
06-25-2006, 10:36 PM
Oh...Don't forget one of the most memorable solos in rock history- Ace Frehley's solo on Rock n' Roll All Night from the greatest live album of all time- KISS Alive.

The studio version of RN'RAN didn't have a solo...little bit of trivia for you all.

Matt White
06-25-2006, 10:40 PM
I prefer Ace's solo on LET ME GO ROCK'N'ROLL on ALIVE......

ANd his solo on DR. LOVE is my favorite................KISS solo that is