Favourite Guitar Solo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favourite Guitar Solo

Ok, wanted to do this as a poll but I couldn't narrow it down.

What are your fav solo's?

The one's that a guarenteed to get you playing airguitar on stand slack jawed every time?

(I'm still researching mine)
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

I'm The One

Comment

That's a good choice, Eddie's playing throughtout that song is unbelievable!

Comment

Pantera's "Psycho Holiday".
        Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
        It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

"Machine gun" by Jimi Hendrix from "Band of gypsies".

Also the one at the end of "Tonight" by Ozzy, played by Randy Rhoads, sprung to mind as that`s also one I love to listen to. It isn`t structured at all and sounds like he`s just winging it but it is amazing.
          sigpic

Sitting on a park bench!

Comment

I'm gonna give "Tonight" another listen

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote
              Pantera's "Psycho Holiday".
              Nice FOOKIN Pick...

I miss ole Dimebag

Cheers,

KiD

Comment

Originally posted by frets5150
                I'm The One
                exc choice

exc sig too !!

Comment

This section is supposed to deal with any music BUT DLR or CVH, so...

As I have way too many fave solos, I'll mention one from a guitarist who is almost never evoked here, despite his being among the golden greats: ROBERT FRIPP.

He's made damn many since 1969 with King Crimson, but I chose a rather recent solo that he played on a track called "You have to be happy with what you have to be with" - track #9-, on their 2001 release "The Power to believe" (which is not indispensable, BTW).

The solo only lasts 20 seconds, but... how intense. Fripp plays the most high-pitched notes on that one, with that relentlessness that belongs to no other than him.
                  The riff of the song itself is worth it as well.

There are dozens and dozens of other soli that I'm thinking of, generally speaking, by dozens of different guitar players. But I'll mention another one by Fripp, the one that is on "Sleepless" (album: "Red", 1974, a must). The track starts real slow, like in cotton, but about half-way there's a break that opens towards different riffs, and the trio slowly winds up playing very damn fast, Fripp and the other two (Bill Bruford on drums and John Wetton on bass & vocals). I mean, it's not only incredible skills that are put there altogether to show off, there's such a unity in the whole song - around 12 minutes long - that the incredible solo (fast and very elaborate, that I'd personally define as "heavy jazz") doesn't sound like an "obligation". There's a splendid, genuine and natural structure in the track that makes the (long, despite the speed) solo just an episode of a whole story.
                  I insist on its natural side because since the 1970s, how many guitar solos have sounded false, due to the fact that it was the obligatory exercise in any guitar-led song to include some fast-playing notes about in the middle... How many tunes have sounded artificial, with more or less apparent "link shots" (the most obvious example IMO being Iron Maiden)?...

Anyway, I think that Robert Fripp is an amazing guitarist among amazing guitarists, and by mentioning two of his solos I am wondering what is your take, you fellow Army Rothers, as far as his guitar playing, which is something that shouldn't be reckoned without when it comes to determine who the kings of guitar are.
                  Last edited by Jérôme Frenchise; 05-28-2006, 05:42 PM.
                  posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
                  posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

Ok, narrowed it down:

Pride & Glory "Shine On" (the end solo blows my mind!)

G'N'R "Sweet Child O'Mine" (overated song, but Slash shines here)
                    "You could be mine"

Metallica "The Unforgiven" & "The Struggle Within" (Kirk's finest hour?)

Ozzy "Mr. Crowley"

UFO "Rock Bottom"

ACDC "Whole Lotta Rosie"

Comment

Frank Zappa - The Ocean Is The Ultimate Solution
                      Day-dreaming's gone commercial

Comment

Def Leppard - Switch 625 & Armegeddon It (Come on Steve, Get It)

Metallica - Fade To Black
                        “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

Fade to black is a good choice, that is a fantastic solo

Comment

Zappa -Watermelon in easter hay, the solo from Zomby Woof from The Band You Never Heard...
                            EVH - the solo from Romeo Delight and ofcourse Eruption
                            dm/dt=kA (Cs-C)

Comment

Mick Ronson - Slaugher On 10th Avenue

Owns Everything.
                              "With a rate of fire of over 20 rounds per second, the IMI Micro Uzi is almost as fast as Yngwie Malmsteen, and 25.4 times more musical"

Worst of all... It's true..

Comment

Working...
                              X