Do you have your Van Halen memories or do you live in the past?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wayne L.

Do you have your Van Halen memories or do you live in the past?

I have my VH/DLR era memories of experiencing Van Halen in those days when they were the kings of rock with few equals at the time when those first six important & influential classic rock albums were released & seeing VH live at the old Charlotte Coliseum back in 84 during my youth instead of living in the past continously like some old fans & young fans which means you're either mentally insecure or you can't let go because whether Eddie & Dave reunite or not it's never going to be the same again while it's ridiculous criticizing Sammy Hagar kind of on a personal level in the name of David Lee Roth or criticizing Eddie Van Halen kind of on a personal level in the name of DLR because it has nothing to do with being a VH fan.
  • Eyes of the Night
    Veteran
    • Jan 2004

Uh ...

I think it's the fact that the only true Van Halen is with Roth, which the true fan base want's, and not the more watered version who didn't sell nearly as much as the real thing in album sales ...

It's all about the stats folks ...

Van Roth cannot be broken ...

Broken down n' dirty dressed in rags ...

Comment

• mjs
      Roth Army Recruit
      • Apr 2004

I agree that Van Halen with David Lee Roth made the best band ever and the best music I have ever heard. The band continued to make some great music without Dave. Obviously the singing, feeling and the presence was way below what we had with Dave, but there is no reason at all to base the attacks on numbers sold or stats. Music is about feelings, not a bunch of numbers.

Comment

• Eyes of the Night
        Veteran
        • Jan 2004

In this case my friend it IS all about da numbers ...

Numbers=fans which brings us to ask the question which would you rather see ...

Hands down decision after seeing DLR with a cover band playing an almost all =VH= setlist ...

Before that I was all eddie this and eddie that but DUDE ... after seeing DLR for the first time back in 01' I felt as if I was fooled into thinking that EVH was =VH= ...

Who is David Lee Roth?

Last edited by Eyes of the Night; 04-18-2004, 08:48 AM.

Comment

• Sarge's Little Helper
          Commando
          • Mar 2003

In this case my friend it IS all about da numbers ...

Numbers=fans which brings us to ask the question which would you rather see ...

Hands down decision after seeing DLR with a cover band playing an almost all =VH= setlist ...

Before that I was all eddie this and eddie that but DUDE ... after seeing DLR for the first time back in 01' I felt as if I was fooled into thing that EVH was =VH= ...

Who is David Lee Roth?

Diamond Dave is the supreme Toastmaster General of the immoral majority.. the King of Any and All Things Rock n\' Roll. Bar none he is the greatest Frontman in Rock n Roll History!
          "I decided to name my new band DLR because when you say David Lee Roth people think of an individual, but when you say DLR you think of a band. Its just like when you say Edward Van Halen, people think of an individual, but when you say Van Halen, you think of…David Lee Roth, baby!"!

Comment

• Eyes of the Night
            Veteran
            • Jan 2004

MJS ... welcome to da Army brutha ...

Comment

• ajruiz
              Roth Army Recruit
              • Apr 2004

Meeting Van Halen

I met the band august 9th 1984 at the Raddison hotel witha couple of freinds the day before the concert. What I remember most was how f'..n coo Roth was and what assholes Ed and Alex were. Michael Anthony was also very frieindly.
              We followed them down the street form the hotel to a radio station where they were doing a sattelite interview. Meanwhile there was hundreds of fans looking for them at the hotel and we just happned to be in the underground parking garage where they snuck out the back door to walk down the street.
              After about 3 hours or more of hanging outside the station we were getting bored and started clowning around putting on skits for the security camera. We kept telling people that finally left the hotel that they were in their. A few people hung around but left after about an hour.
              Finally they came out at 10:00 pm and Dave says "Man you guys are still here? and said they got bored with the interview and were watching us on the security cameras laughing their assed off at the stupid shit we were doing.
              So we asked for autographs and the bodyguard asshole pushed us out of the way and Dave said' No leave them alone their cool" so we went back to hotel with them and B.s'd with Mikey the whole way.
              When we got to hotel Dave said goodnight to us and went up stairs with two of the hottest blonde chicks we ever seen ( what a rock star) Michael Anthony was buying us drinks and was so cool. Alex and Eddie were total assholes and wouldn't even acknowledge us.
              We treated the guys with the utmost respect and did not act like crazed fans.
              after an hour or so the bodyguard guy told us we had to leave. The main reason for that was Vallerie Bertinelli was coming downstairs ( big joykill, like we really cared) So we went up to the balcony and watched them for a while longer them went home.
              So that is my memories of the band. and all and all. Dave was the band!! and the party!!!!!!!

Comment

• Terry
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jan 2004

As long as the music of those 6 albums still evokes a response, I guess I'll be living in the past.

Have no idea about Sam and Ed on a personal level. Don't really care either. Have judged their music on it's merits, not what I think they might be like as people offstage. Van Hagar just doesn't do anything for me.

Ed and Alex come across as a couple of ungrateful shcmucks towards Dave, but I'll never deny Ed's talent.

Simple fact is, Ed hasn't been playing to his full potential in a long time. The proof? Contrasting the first 6 Halen albums to the rest that followed.

Sad to say, but the soap opera DOES have something to do with being a Van Halen fan, and as for not letting go........with the incredible music on those first 6 albums still being played on the radio and everyone in that classic lineup still living and breathing, why should I let go?

A lack of security in one's self has little to do with wanting to see the original Van Halen reform and play again. Frankly, Ed, Sam and the other two deserve all the criticism they get for trotting out there under the name Roth helped to build and pussifying it with substandard pop-metal lite schmaltz.
                Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• madraoul
                  Foot Soldier
                  • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Wayne L.
                  I have my VH/DLR era memories of experiencing Van Halen in my mouth. Those days when they were the kings of rock with few equals at the time when those first six important & influential classic rock albums were released & seeing VH live at the old Charlotte Coliseum back in 84 during my gay youth instead of living in the past continously like some old fags & young fags which means you're either mentally insecure or you can't let go because whether Eddie & Sammy butt fuck or not it's never going to be the same again while it's ridiculous criticizing Hagarita kind of on a personal level in the name of the master or criticizing Eddie Van Halen kind of on a personal level in the name of master because it has nothing to do with being a lover of women. We are Van Hagar, gay and proud of it!!!
                  Big ass run on sentence. You asked for it.

Comment

• SheAintWaiting
                    Roadie
                    • Apr 2004

Are people who listen to nothing but jazz living in the past?
                    Are people who are students of the blues living in the past?

I think some of these questions are being posed by people
                    who actually do think that music is something that only happens
                    in the "here and now" and that one must always buy what
                    MTV is churning out and telling you is valid and wondrous.

Music is timeless. With music, what was relevant 10, 20, 30
                    years ago, is relevant today. To say that one lives in the
                    past because one surrounds oneself by music created
                    x-number of years ago is naive and reflects an innate
                    incoherence of the power and importance of the musical
                    dialogue that has been happening between and amongst
                    human beings since the first person ever sang and banged
                    a stick on a tree. Is someone who listens to nothing
                    but Chopin or deBussy living in the past? Or someone
                    who is a student of Ella Fitz or Little Walter living in the
                    past? If so, then living in the past is an important
                    and rejuvenating part of the present.

Rock on, classic VH fans.

SheAintWaiting
                    "I won't tour on a greatest hits record, that's like basically saying, we're over. Wasted. Biggest waste of time in the world. Strictly money." -Sammy Hagar, 1996.

Comment

• madraoul
                      Foot Soldier
                      • Feb 2004

Originally posted by SheAintWaiting
                      Are people who listen to nothing but jazz living in the past?
                      Are people who are students of the blues living in the past?

I think some of these questions are being posed by people
                      who actually do think that music is something that only happens
                      in the "here and now" and that one must always buy what
                      MTV is churning out and telling you is valid and wondrous.

Music is timeless. With music, what was relevant 10, 20, 30
                      years ago, is relevant today. To say that one lives in the
                      past because one surrounds oneself by music created
                      x-number of years ago is naive and reflects an innate
                      incoherence of the power and importance of the musical
                      dialogue that has been happening between and amongst
                      human beings since the first person ever sang and banged
                      a stick on a tree. Is someone who listens to nothing
                      but Chopin or deBussy living in the past? Or someone
                      who is a student of Ella Fitz or Little Walter living in the
                      past? If so, then living in the past is an important
                      and rejuvenating part of the present.

Rock on, classic VH fans.

SheAintWaiting
                      Very nice. Yes, Mozart still has a few hits going, eh? I think the valid question here is, did Wagner ever try to steal Mozart's music? Here is the conundrum. Real musicians don't take what is not theirs. Hagarita is a troll.

Comment

• Panamark
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                        As long as the music of those 6 albums still evokes a response, I guess I'll be living in the past.

Have no idea about Sam and Ed on a personal level. Don't really care either. Have judged their music on it's merits, not what I think they might be like as people offstage. Van Hagar just doesn't do anything for me.

Ed and Alex come across as a couple of ungrateful shcmucks towards Dave, but I'll never deny Ed's talent.

Simple fact is, Ed hasn't been playing to his full potential in a long time. The proof? Contrasting the first 6 Halen albums to the rest that followed.

Sad to say, but the soap opera DOES have something to do with being a Van Halen fan, and as for not letting go........with the incredible music on those first 6 albums still being played on the radio and everyone in that classic lineup still living and breathing, why should I let go?

A lack of security in one's self has little to do with wanting to see the original Van Halen reform and play again. Frankly, Ed, Sam and the other two deserve all the criticism they get for trotting out there under the name Roth helped to build and pussifying it with substandard pop-metal lite schmaltz.
                        Well said old chap !! Totally agree..
                        BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
                        Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

Working...