PDA

View Full Version : Ten Greatest Albums Ever - OASIS number one???

Panamark
06-02-2006, 01:27 AM
WTF ??

http://entertainment.news.com.au/story/0,10221,19337459-7484,00.html

Panamark
06-02-2006, 01:28 AM
Oasis the greatest
June 02, 2006

Best album ever ... Oasis / Sony BMG Advertisement:

IT epitomised the Britpop phenomenon more than 10 years ago - and now Definitely Maybe, the Oasis debut, has been named the Greatest Album of All Time.

The album, which featured hits such as Live Forever and Supersonic, pushed the Beatles' Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band into second place in the poll of more than 40,000 music fans.
Another Beatles album, Revolver, came third, followed by Radiohead's OK Computer, and another Oasis release (What's the Story) Morning Glory? in fifth place.

Up the Bracket, the 2002 debut by Pete Doherty's former band The Libertines, is the newest album in the top 20 in 15th place.

Nirvana's Nevermind, in sixth place, and The Strokes' Is This It, in 20th place, are the only two bands from the US to make the top 20.

The Stone Roses' self-titled album is seventh followed by Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon, and The Smiths' The Queen Is Dead.

Radiohead's The Bends is next in the Top 100, followed by U2's The Joshua Tree.

Definitely Maybe, which cost £85,000 ($212,560) to produce, was released on August 30, 1994, and debuted at number one in the charts a week later.

The survey was organised by the book of British Hit Singles and Albums and NME.com and votes came from as far afield as New Zealand, Croatia and Colombia.

Fans were given no pre-ordained list to chose from in the survey, to celebrate 50 years of the Official UK Albums Chart.

10 BEST ALBUMS OF ALL TIME
1 Definitely Maybe - Oasis
2 Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - The Beatles
3 Revolver - The Beatles
4 OK Computer - Radiohead
5 (What's the Story) Morning Glory? - Oasis
6 Nevermind - Nirvana
7 The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses
8 Dark Side Of The Moon - Pink Floyd
9 The Queen Is Dead - The Smiths
10 The Bends - Radiohead

Panamark
06-02-2006, 01:29 AM
Umm, comments from our English soldiers ?? :D
(And anyone else for that matter)

No Led Zep ??? Strange, given its a totally biased british poll ???

Coyote
06-02-2006, 01:36 AM
Waay overrated as a band.
(Nuthin' but a good pastiche of The Beatles, IMO...)

And since when was there a "definitive list of greatest albums ever" that everybody agreed on?

Coyote
06-02-2006, 01:36 AM
And where the fuck is Queen from that list?!

Redballjets88
06-02-2006, 01:38 AM
had to be an english person writing this brits love oasis too much

Panamark
06-02-2006, 01:42 AM
G'day Coyote ! Is it like daylight all the time there at the moment ?? :)
Good point about Queen,

and RBJ, I think this is a very british poll indeed...

Whats so bizzarre is they rank Oasis over Sgt Peppers.
So the Beatles cover band is better than the originals ???

Coyote
06-02-2006, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by Panamark
G'day Coyote ! Is it like daylight all the time there at the moment ?? :)
Good point about Queen,

and RBJ, I think this is a very british poll indeed...

Whats so bizzarre is they rank Oasis over Sgt Peppers.
So the Beatles cover band is better than the originals ???

G'day, Bruce! :D

No, not exactly. There's about 15 minutes of quasi-darkness somewhere between 3 and 4 am.

I feel like Pacino in "Insomnia"... :p

Panamark
06-02-2006, 01:52 AM
LOL :D .... I bet the nocturnal beasts are pissed off at the moment.

Coyote
06-02-2006, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by Panamark
LOL :D .... I bet the nocturnal beasts are pissed off at the moment.

God knows. Haven't spoken to 'em in a while. LOL...

FORD
06-02-2006, 02:10 AM
Obviously, Dark Side of the Moon belongs in the top 10. And I'd pick one Beatles album - personally I'd take Revolver over Sgt. Pepper.

But Oasis?

Radiohead??

The Smiths???

Best albums of all time????

As for Nevermind, I'd put it in the top 25 easily, but probably not the top 10. Where's the Stones? The Who? Zeppelin?

And it's an Aussie poll..... where the HELL is AC/DC???

Wawazat
06-02-2006, 02:14 AM
Oasis is the ultimate boredom

Yes i agree

Panamark
06-02-2006, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by FORD
Obviously, Dark Side of the Moon belongs in the top 10. And I'd pick one Beatles album - personally I'd take Revolver over Sgt. Pepper.

But Oasis?

Radiohead??

The Smiths???

Best albums of all time????

As for Nevermind, I'd put it in the top 25 easily, but probably not the top 10. Where's the Stones? The Who? Zeppelin?

And it's an Aussie poll..... where the HELL is AC/DC???

Agree with all you said, except its not an aussie poll !
Its from an Aussie news web page, but its a "London Associated Press" story, I wish to make it clear that no Australian would have compiled that list :D

Golden AWe
06-02-2006, 02:58 AM
"The Beatles were ahead of their time alright...they covered Oasis 30 years before them..."

binnie
06-02-2006, 03:10 AM
Oasis are an awful band.

Yeah that was a British poll by our bigest music magazine.

Basically, it isn't read by anyone over 25 so you have all the people that were into Britpop. It would be like a Hip Hop magazine conducting the same poll, it's readers would vote Tupac or something

These things are always biased.

Don't take it seriously, I mean the Strokes in the top 10.

Oasis are huge here still, but most people who you would consider been into music wouldn't rate them that highly.

As for there been no Led Zep, they have more respect in the States. Heavy music is not appreciated here in the mainstream in anyway, so it doesn't surprise me that they weren't in that poll.

Mr Badguy
06-02-2006, 03:44 AM
It`s another example of the ridiculous taste in music (journalism) that exists in this country and the sheep like mentality of the readers of those magazines, who are too lazy to go out and listen to something different and form an opinion of their own.

This all started over here in 1977, year zero for punk, where journalists couldn`t be seen to be listening to something uncool and unfortunately it persists to this day.

The worst thing about it is that it has driven all of the originality out of the British music scene.

If you`re not a manufactured pop band, don`t have friends in high places (i.e. The Darkness) or are thought of as "real Rock n Roll" by the music heirachy in Britain, then you can forget it.

Luckily it wasn`t like that back in the day or you would never have had Zeppelin, Floyd, Yes or any of the great British bands who would have been seen as unmarketable.

binnie
06-02-2006, 03:56 AM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy
It`s another example of the ridiculous taste in music (journalism) that exists in this country and the sheep like mentality of the readers of those magazines, who are too lazy to go out and listen to something different and form an opinion of their own.

This all started over here in 1977, year zero for punk, where journalists couldn`t be seen to be listening to something uncool and unfortunately it persists to this day.

The worst thing about it is that it has driven all of the originality out of the British music scene.

If you`re not a manufactured pop band, don`t have friends in high places (i.e. The Darkness) or are thought of as "real Rock n Roll" by the music heirachy in Britain, then you can forget it.

Luckily it wasn`t like that back in the day or you would never have had Zeppelin, Floyd, Yes or any of the great British bands who would have been seen as unmarketable.

You hit the nail right on the head!

It's such a sad state of affairs, you can't even trust Kerrang anymore...

ThrillsNSpills
06-02-2006, 08:13 AM
Now now, Wonderwall has it's purpose......

reminds you how how slowly time can pass sometimes.

that tune seems like it's thirty minutes long.

Panamark
06-02-2006, 09:58 PM
Yes ! You are right. Its like Wonderwall opens a wormhole into some unpleasant parallel reality where time stops and OASIS music plays forever..

HELL ON EARTH !

rustoffa
06-02-2006, 11:07 PM
That reads like a list of pure bias!

No Tapestry?

No Hotel California?

No Rumors?

No Beggars Banquet?

No Desolation Boulevard?

No Inner City Blues?

No Plastic Surgery Disasters?

No Rock And Roll Over?

No VAN HALEN??

Yeesh, glad I'm not part of that dipshit-o-graphic.
:)

Unchainme
06-02-2006, 11:18 PM
Where the Fuck is Appetite?, That album is grate from top to bottom, Deserves every good thing said about it.

binnie
06-03-2006, 04:31 AM
Like I said, heavy music doesn't get any respect over here!

Why do think Lemmy and Ozzy spend most of their time in the US?

DLRISVH7884
06-03-2006, 07:27 AM
Oasis is really number one?, they only have like (2) albums and I can name at least 1,000 or 2 better bands or 10,000 ablums better than them. Then again everyone LOVES "Dave Matthews", when I find him overated and think his music is garbage.

binnie
06-03-2006, 09:24 AM
Don't take it too seriously guys, NME polls count for nothing.........

Golden AWe
06-03-2006, 09:45 AM
Come to think of it, this was a POP magazine...

Oasis is one of the biggest pop sellers since MTV and internet were growing a lot during their succesful years....

doesn't mean it's musically the best band ever.

The_KiD
06-03-2006, 11:06 AM
That is list is somewhat skewed...

KiD

Mr Badguy
06-03-2006, 12:15 PM
NME can suck my cock.

binnie
06-03-2006, 12:18 PM
I don't think that Oasis would even be in the running for best band of the '90's

diamondsgirl
06-03-2006, 11:48 PM
Oasis the Greatest???

Thats just crazy talk.

Unchainme
06-04-2006, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by binnie
I don't think that Oasis would even be in the running for best band of the '90's

Nope that would go to either Alice In Chains or Nivana. IMO, it's AIC.

binnie
06-04-2006, 04:11 AM
Originally posted by Unchainme
Nope that would go to either Alice In Chains or Nivana. IMO, it's AIC.

AIC would definatley be up there.

(I love that band)

Pantera perhaps.....

Jack68
06-04-2006, 09:10 AM
Ill settle this right here right now(rim shot.)
You got 5 albums to take thats it.Were on an island like lost youll be hanging with me an Sawyer.
1.Vanhalen 1
2.whos next(overplayed but still sounds greate.)
3.461 ocean boulevard -Eric clapton
4.kiss -alive(even though its not who cares.)
5.The beatles-Revolver
Shit i missed the point of this thread.

Padre Atilio
06-04-2006, 09:49 AM
This list is just a total crap... you cant make a list with only 10 best but with 100 that are all even ...

EAT MY ASSHOLE
06-05-2006, 11:48 PM
Dudes, it was a POLL. And who responded to that poll? People who are too young to remmeber Van Halen, much less vintage Stones, or Zep or whatever. To this generation, all these guys are dinosaurs, has-beens, elevator music. Just the same way American Idol currently outsells Van Halen II by 500,0000 copies a day at the moment, sooner or later, all these people will realize that they haven't listened to taylor Fucking hicks in te years, but CVH and Zep and whatnot are STILL getting radio-play and are the between innings tunes at your local football stadium.

They'll get older, and they'll go back to the classics.

EAT MY ASSHOLE
06-05-2006, 11:51 PM
My Top Five, in no order:

Stones: Beggars Banquet

REM: Reckoning

Neil Young: Rust Never Sleeps

Tom Waits: Rain Dogs

Emmylou Harris: Wrecking Ball

Mr Grimsdale
06-06-2006, 04:33 PM
that list is to be expected as it was voted for by the readers of the NME

a sad waste of wood pulp