• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • frets5150
    Commando
    • Feb 2004

Iraq Veteran Sues Michael Moore Over '9/11'

Iraq Veteran Sues Michael Moore Over '9/11'
    BOSTON (June 1) - A veteran who lost both arms in the war in Iraq is suing filmmaker Michael Moore for $85 million, alleging that Moore used snippets of a television interview without his permission to falsely portray him as anti-war in "Fahrenheit 9/11."
    Sgt. Peter Damon, a National Guardsman from Middleborough, is asking for damages because of "loss of reputation, emotional distress, embarrassment, and personal humiliation," according to the lawsuit filed in Suffolk Superior Court last week.

Damon, 33, claims that Moore never asked for his consent to use a clip from an interview Damon did with NBC's "Nightly News."

He lost his arms when a tire on a Black Hawk helicopter exploded while he and another reservist were servicing the aircraft on the ground. Another reservist was killed in the explosion.

In his interview with NBC, Damon was asked about a new painkiller the military was using on wounded veterans. He claims in his lawsuit that the way Moore used the film clip in "Fahrenheit 9/11" - Moore's scathing 2004 documentary criticizing the Bush administration and the war in Iraq - makes him appear to "voice a complaint about the war effort" when he was actually complaining about "the excruciating type of pain" that comes with the injury he suffered.

In the movie, Damon is shown lying on a gurney, with his wounds bandaged. He says he feels likes he's "being crushed in a vise."

"But they (the painkillers) do a lot to help it," he says. "And they take a lot of the edge off of it."

Damon is shown shortly after U.S. Rep. Jim McDermott, D-Wash., is speaking about the Bush administration and says, "You know, they say they're not leaving any veterans behind, but they're leaving all kinds of veterans behind."

Damon contends that Moore's positioning of the clip just after the congressman's comments makes him appear as if he feels like he was "left behind" by the Bush administration and the military.

In his lawsuit, Damon says he "agrees with and supports the President and the United States' war effort, and he was not left behind."

He said that, while at the Walter Reed Army Medical Center recovering from his wounds, he had surgery and physical therapy, learned to use prosthetics and live independently. He also said that Homes For Our Troops, a not-for-profit group, built him a house with handicapped accessibility.

"The work creates a substantially fictionalized and falsified implication as a wounded serviceman who was left behind when Plaintiff was not left behind but supported, financially and emotionally, by the active assistance of the President, the United States and his family, friends, acquaintances and community," Damon says in his lawsuit.

Moore did not immediately return calls seeking comment Wednesday. A message was left for Moore at a personal number in New York and with HarperCollins, publisher of Moore's 2002 book, "Stupid White Men...And Other Sorry Excuses for the State of the Nation!"

A spokesman for Miramax Film Corp., also named as a defendant, did not immediately return a call.

Damon did not immediately respond to a request for an interview.

"It's upsetting to him because he's lived his life supportive of his government, he's been a patriot, he's been a soldier, and he's now being portrayed in a movie that is the antithesis of all of that," Damon's lawyer, Dennis Lynch, said.

Damon is seeking $75 million in damages for emotional distress and loss of reputation. His wife is suing for an additional $10 million in damages because of the mental distress caused to her husband, Lynch said.

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.

• LoungeMachine
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

Gotta love the 10M the wife is suing for........

Which caused her more anguish?

Her husband being blown up fixing a BH in Iraq, or her husband being shown in a movie?

This is about MONEY
    Originally posted by Kristy
    Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
    Originally posted by cadaverdog
    I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• diamondD
      Veteran
      • Jan 2004

So what you are saying is if some "Neo-con" used you to promote an agenda you disagree with in a nationally released movie, you'd be ok with it.

Somehow, I doubt it.

He's not the only one to complain about the editing Moore does to make it appear you are agreeing with what he is saying or not showing the whole statement.
      Meet us in the future, not the pasture

Comment

• DEMON CUNT
        Crazy Ass Mofo
        • Nov 2004

I am pretty sure that Sgt. Peter Damon signed a release that allows the footage to be used in anyway the owner sees fit.

I believe that I saw Damon on 60 Minutes complaining about the service that he was receiving from the military.

This poor guy. He should be suing the Bush administration for sending him off on an illegal invasion with inadequate equipment. But here in America we love to shoot the messenger.

In F911 Moore advocates for the troops and their families. Then he calls for the responsible use of our military since it is comprised of young American that trust us to do so.
        Last edited by DEMON CUNT; 06-02-2006, 08:36 AM.
        Banned 01/09/09 | Avatar | Aiken | Spammy | Extreme | Pump | Regular | The View | Toot

Comment

• LoungeMachine
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by diamondD
          So what you are saying is if some "Neo-con" used you to promote an agenda you disagree with in a nationally released movie, you'd be ok with it.

Somehow, I doubt it.

He's not the only one to complain about the editing Moore does to make it appear you are agreeing with what he is saying or not showing the whole statement.
          No, I'm saying this is about MONEY.

Was I somehow not clear in my last post?

Comment

• diamondD
            Veteran
            • Jan 2004

Well yeah. But do you blame him? Are you faulting him for it?
            Meet us in the future, not the pasture

Comment

• LoungeMachine
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jul 2004

I don't know the facts of the case.

I don't know if he has a legal leg to stand on.

But if this was about righting a wrong, I could see him speaking out and demanding an apology.

Instead he wants a Lotto Ticket courtesy of Moore and Miramax.

IF YOU'RE ASKING ME TO PUT MYSELF IN HIS SHOES, I'D BE MORE PISSED AT THE PEOPLE WHO PUT ME IN HARM'S WAY ON BAD INTEL.

Comment

• frets5150
                Commando
                • Feb 2004

Originally posted by DEMON CUNT
                This poor guy. He should be suing the Bush administration for sending him off on an illegal invasion with inadequate equipment
                THANKYOU!!!

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jul 2004

Re: Iraq Veteran Sues Michael Moore Over '9/11'

Originally posted by frets5150

Damon, 33, claims that Moore never asked for his consent to use a clip from an interview Damon did with NBC's "Nightly News."

He may not have needed his consent.....

All depends on NBC

His gripe may be with them..

BUT THIS IS ABOUT MONEY.

Not justice.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jul 2004

** Note to BigBadBrie**

This is how real debate happens in The Front Line, Brie....

A NEWS STORY IS POSTED [not another op-ed]

BOTH SIDES, INCLUDING THE THREAD STARTER DEBATE THE ISSUES
                    [ instead of your typical post and lurk]

Take a clue from diamondd.

Comment

• FORD
                      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

He should sue Halliburton. They have a lot more money than Michael Moore, and they profited directly from the lies that injured the man in the first place.

Better yet, why doesn't he sue whatever company made the tire that fucked him up? Firestone, Goodyear, or whomever.
                      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• BigBadBrian
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by LoungeMachine
                        ** Note to BigBadBrie**

This is how real debate happens in The Front Line, Brie....

A NEWS STORY IS POSTED [not another op-ed]

BOTH SIDES, INCLUDING THE THREAD STARTER DEBATE THE ISSUES
                        [ instead of your typical post and lurk]

Take a clue from diamondd.
                        You might also.

This was pretty much the way this forum ran until a certain element joined.

I was actually impressed with the way this thread ran and of your conduct in particular....until you obviously felt justified in calling me a name. I guess you feel you are the only one that can do that. You're not.

“If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• FORD
                          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Brian must be on new medication. Perhaps he should send some to "oorange county"
                          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• jcook11
                            Commando
                            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                            Brian must be on new medication. Perhaps he should send some to "oorange county"
                            There is a reason behind my spelling of the O.C. Maybe some day when they come up with a cure for retardation I'll let you in on it.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by BigBadBrian
                              You might also.

This was pretty much the way this forum ran until a certain element joined.

I was actually impressed with the way this thread ran and of your conduct in particular....until you obviously felt justified in calling me a name. I guess you feel you are the only one that can do that. You're not.

LMMFAO......

Ah, the good old days before the FL was ruined

Should I start a thread in bold calling you lying hypocrite in FEEDBACK?

Back on topic.......noticed you still are unable to actually.......you know........debate and express thoughts not requiring cut-n-paste....

Tell us how this guy and his wife are owed 85 million.

Comment

Working...