PDA

View Full Version : Iraq Veteran Sues Michael Moore Over '9/11'

frets5150
06-02-2006, 06:33 AM
Iraq Veteran Sues Michael Moore Over '9/11'
BOSTON (June 1) - A veteran who lost both arms in the war in Iraq is suing filmmaker Michael Moore for $85 million, alleging that Moore used snippets of a television interview without his permission to falsely portray him as anti-war in "Fahrenheit 9/11."
Sgt. Peter Damon, a National Guardsman from Middleborough, is asking for damages because of "loss of reputation, emotional distress, embarrassment, and personal humiliation," according to the lawsuit filed in Suffolk Superior Court last week.

Damon, 33, claims that Moore never asked for his consent to use a clip from an interview Damon did with NBC's "Nightly News."

He lost his arms when a tire on a Black Hawk helicopter exploded while he and another reservist were servicing the aircraft on the ground. Another reservist was killed in the explosion.

In his interview with NBC, Damon was asked about a new painkiller the military was using on wounded veterans. He claims in his lawsuit that the way Moore used the film clip in "Fahrenheit 9/11" - Moore's scathing 2004 documentary criticizing the Bush administration and the war in Iraq - makes him appear to "voice a complaint about the war effort" when he was actually complaining about "the excruciating type of pain" that comes with the injury he suffered.

In the movie, Damon is shown lying on a gurney, with his wounds bandaged. He says he feels likes he's "being crushed in a vise."

"But they (the painkillers) do a lot to help it," he says. "And they take a lot of the edge off of it."

Damon is shown shortly after U.S. Rep. Jim McDermott, D-Wash., is speaking about the Bush administration and says, "You know, they say they're not leaving any veterans behind, but they're leaving all kinds of veterans behind."

Damon contends that Moore's positioning of the clip just after the congressman's comments makes him appear as if he feels like he was "left behind" by the Bush administration and the military.

In his lawsuit, Damon says he "agrees with and supports the President and the United States' war effort, and he was not left behind."

He said that, while at the Walter Reed Army Medical Center recovering from his wounds, he had surgery and physical therapy, learned to use prosthetics and live independently. He also said that Homes For Our Troops, a not-for-profit group, built him a house with handicapped accessibility.

"The work creates a substantially fictionalized and falsified implication as a wounded serviceman who was left behind when Plaintiff was not left behind but supported, financially and emotionally, by the active assistance of the President, the United States and his family, friends, acquaintances and community," Damon says in his lawsuit.

Moore did not immediately return calls seeking comment Wednesday. A message was left for Moore at a personal number in New York and with HarperCollins, publisher of Moore's 2002 book, "Stupid White Men...And Other Sorry Excuses for the State of the Nation!"

A spokesman for Miramax Film Corp., also named as a defendant, did not immediately return a call.

Damon did not immediately respond to a request for an interview.

"It's upsetting to him because he's lived his life supportive of his government, he's been a patriot, he's been a soldier, and he's now being portrayed in a movie that is the antithesis of all of that," Damon's lawyer, Dennis Lynch, said.

Damon is seeking $75 million in damages for emotional distress and loss of reputation. His wife is suing for an additional $10 million in damages because of the mental distress caused to her husband, Lynch said.

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.

:rolleyes:

LoungeMachine
06-02-2006, 06:40 AM
Gotta love the 10M the wife is suing for........

Which caused her more anguish?

Her husband being blown up fixing a BH in Iraq, or her husband being shown in a movie?

This is about MONEY

diamondD
06-02-2006, 07:01 AM
So what you are saying is if some "Neo-con" used you to promote an agenda you disagree with in a nationally released movie, you'd be ok with it.

Somehow, I doubt it.

He's not the only one to complain about the editing Moore does to make it appear you are agreeing with what he is saying or not showing the whole statement.

DEMON CUNT
06-02-2006, 08:32 AM
I am pretty sure that Sgt. Peter Damon signed a release that allows the footage to be used in anyway the owner sees fit.

I believe that I saw Damon on 60 Minutes complaining about the service that he was receiving from the military.

This poor guy. He should be suing the Bush administration for sending him off on an illegal invasion with inadequate equipment. But here in America we love to shoot the messenger.

In F911 Moore advocates for the troops and their families. Then he calls for the responsible use of our military since it is comprised of young American that trust us to do so.

LoungeMachine
06-02-2006, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by diamondD
So what you are saying is if some "Neo-con" used you to promote an agenda you disagree with in a nationally released movie, you'd be ok with it.

Somehow, I doubt it.

He's not the only one to complain about the editing Moore does to make it appear you are agreeing with what he is saying or not showing the whole statement.

No, I'm saying this is about MONEY.

Was I somehow not clear in my last post? ;)

diamondD
06-02-2006, 09:43 AM
Well yeah. But do you blame him? Are you faulting him for it?

LoungeMachine
06-02-2006, 10:20 AM
I don't know the facts of the case.

I don't know if he has a legal leg to stand on.

But if this was about righting a wrong, I could see him speaking out and demanding an apology.

Instead he wants a Lotto Ticket courtesy of Moore and Miramax.

IF YOU'RE ASKING ME TO PUT MYSELF IN HIS SHOES, I'D BE MORE PISSED AT THE PEOPLE WHO PUT ME IN HARM'S WAY ON BAD INTEL.

frets5150
06-02-2006, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by DEMON CUNT
This poor guy. He should be suing the Bush administration for sending him off on an illegal invasion with inadequate equipment

THANKYOU!!!

LoungeMachine
06-02-2006, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by frets5150

Damon, 33, claims that Moore never asked for his consent to use a clip from an interview Damon did with NBC's "Nightly News."

He may not have needed his consent.....

All depends on NBC

His gripe may be with them..

BUT THIS IS ABOUT MONEY.

Not justice.

LoungeMachine
06-02-2006, 10:33 AM
** Note to BigBadBrie**

This is how real debate happens in The Front Line, Brie....

A NEWS STORY IS POSTED [not another op-ed]

BOTH SIDES, INCLUDING THE THREAD STARTER DEBATE THE ISSUES
[ instead of your typical post and lurk]

Take a clue from diamondd.

FORD
06-02-2006, 10:46 AM
He should sue Halliburton. They have a lot more money than Michael Moore, and they profited directly from the lies that injured the man in the first place.

Better yet, why doesn't he sue whatever company made the tire that fucked him up? Firestone, Goodyear, or whomever.

BigBadBrian
06-02-2006, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
** Note to BigBadBrie**

This is how real debate happens in The Front Line, Brie....

A NEWS STORY IS POSTED [not another op-ed]

BOTH SIDES, INCLUDING THE THREAD STARTER DEBATE THE ISSUES
[ instead of your typical post and lurk]

Take a clue from diamondd.

You might also.

This was pretty much the way this forum ran until a certain element joined. :)

I was actually impressed with the way this thread ran and of your conduct in particular....until you obviously felt justified in calling me a name. I guess you feel you are the only one that can do that. You're not.

:cool: :gulp:

FORD
06-02-2006, 03:30 PM
Brian must be on new medication. Perhaps he should send some to "oorange county"

jcook11
06-02-2006, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Brian must be on new medication. Perhaps he should send some to "oorange county"

There is a reason behind my spelling of the O.C. Maybe some day when they come up with a cure for retardation I'll let you in on it. ;)

LoungeMachine
06-02-2006, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
You might also.

This was pretty much the way this forum ran until a certain element joined. :)

I was actually impressed with the way this thread ran and of your conduct in particular....until you obviously felt justified in calling me a name. I guess you feel you are the only one that can do that. You're not.

:cool: :gulp:

LMMFAO......

Ah, the good old days before the FL was ruined :D

Should I start a thread in bold calling you lying hypocrite in FEEDBACK?

Back on topic.......noticed you still are unable to actually.......you know........debate and express thoughts not requiring cut-n-paste....

Tell us how this guy and his wife are owed 85 million.

LoungeMachine
06-02-2006, 04:01 PM
To me, this is just as ridiculous as the parents of Rachel Coury suing The Caterpillar Co. because she stepped in front of an earth mover

diamondD
06-02-2006, 04:05 PM
They are just throwing that amount out there hoping he'll settle for less. I'm sure he doesn't expect a jury to actually award that to him.

BigBadBrian
06-02-2006, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
To me, this is just as ridiculous as the parents of Rachel Coury suing The Caterpillar Co. because she stepped in front of an earth mover

Exactly.

Hey, I'm glad you reminded me:

http://webpages.charter.net/timandlauren/RCorrie.gif

http://civilwarclipart.com/Clipartgallery/images/smileys/bulldozer3.gif

DEMON CUNT
06-03-2006, 01:55 AM
http://www.rotten.com/library/culture/dog-shit/ds_bushdog.jpg

frets5150
06-03-2006, 02:16 PM
http://www.rotten.com/library/culture/dog-shit/ds_bushdog.jpg

:D

thome
06-03-2006, 03:19 PM
Why Blame Bush for Moore rewriting history for as you said, Money.

If Moore was the hero he would have produced his -Very Important-
feelings on inhumanity for Free.

Moore is like a guy who sees a town that has never heard of -Snake Oil-....That's a capitol -T- and that rimes with -P- and that stands for
Fools.

thome
06-03-2006, 03:28 PM
I really do feel the past presidents all the way back to George Washington have really missed out on the wonder of being
photoshopped while in office by detractors.

Seems Clinton and Bush have been had the most fun with, the look
in that dogs eye is funnier than Seinfeld.

Who thunks this stuff up, Killer photo!

DEMON CUNT
06-03-2006, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by thome
Why Blame Bush for Moore rewriting history for as you said, Money.

If Moore was the hero he would have produced his -Very Important-
feelings on inhumanity for Free.

Have you even seen the movie?

http://www.meateatingleftist.com/mt/archives/bush_saudi.jpg

Yeah, let's make everything "for free." That's makes sense.

You poor confused neocon.

thome
06-03-2006, 03:53 PM
Have you even seen the movie?

http://www.meateatingleftist.com/mt/archives/bush_saudi.jpg

Yeah, let's make everything "for free." That's makes sense.

You poor confused neocon.

No, and Iv'e never seen -Spammy Gaybar and the Dickheads- either does that mean it /all does'nt suk and I have no room to talk.

Iv'e heard on this site and everywhere else most everything in the movie/political self absortion get rich quick sceme,maybe i don't
need to see the -sh!t- maybe I can smell it and avoid stepping in it.

However, if you feel that i must see it, i will not, and quit commenting on it, if you feel without seeing it i have no rite.

DEMON CUNT
06-03-2006, 05:23 PM
However, if you feel that i must see it, i will not, and quit commenting on it, if you feel without seeing it i have no rite.

I challenge you to see it. There is a movie with an opposing view called FarenHype 9/11. Why not make it a double feature? I dare you.

Guitar Shark
06-03-2006, 05:37 PM
You are forgetting that thome lacks the intelligence to operate a VCR.

DEMON CUNT
06-03-2006, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Guitar Shark

I figured his Mom would help him with that.

Seshmeister
06-03-2006, 07:29 PM
I really do feel the past presidents all the way back to George Washington have really missed out on the wonder of being
photoshopped while in office by detractors.

Plus he could have airbrushed out all the slaves he was raping.

Seshmeister
06-03-2006, 07:31 PM
And how come Rick Allen can play drums yet it takes this guy 2 years to get a DVD into his player...

thome
06-03-2006, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by Guitar Shark

What's a VCR we up'in ta heels got no need fer that!

When this Pant Load of Inane Drivel Goes DVD call me......

and make damn shur its a Dual Layer Disk because i want no interferance dikkin up the GPS on My YATCH!

Muther On Roths! :eek:

thome
06-03-2006, 10:40 PM
I challenge you to see it. There is a movie with an opposing view called FarenHype 9/11. Why not make it a double feature? I dare you.

To be honest the reason i hav'nt seen it is, its a view of one mans reality.

I have no need for a mans view of reality, mine is good enough.

I have no need to be educated in this reality of his, if i was of such character i would be of the same character as Tom Cat Cruise and
would seek the wisdom of greater Gods like Zenu and perhaps
join the cult of that reality.

Just a slip in time ,watching it pass away and don't even care.

rustoffa
06-03-2006, 11:22 PM

I'd be really surprised if that was the case. However, nothing would please me more than to take a motherfucking cattleprod cuntnnected to a mediocre static charge, and attempt illogical explanations' of Moore's motivations' via a fat-head LOBOTOMY.

Wait, that wouldn't explain a goddamned thing...it'd sure make a grate YOUTUBE upload though!

He's an overfed, sensationalistic, capitalizing charlatan. You wanna prove something to me Mr. Moore? Go on a fucking hunger strike....'til the next war starts.

Shit, my bad.....that definition could encompass all kinds of shit.

Just do a low-budget production on Velveeta...reap the rewards of another big time pandering job, and DIE.

DEMON CUNT
06-04-2006, 01:46 AM

I have no need for a mans view of reality, mine is good enough.

Then why do you bother with anything? Why read these posts at the Army? Do you read? Do you watch TV or movies?

You haven't watched it because you fear what he has to say.

van whalin
06-04-2006, 05:12 PM
Of course moore has misrepresented him, its called an agenda.
Im not sure its worth 85 million, I guess that would depend on how many people have seen the film, how far the clip is out of context and how much money box office and DVD sales have raked in.
Sure he's not the first documentary maker to do it, but he's one of the worst, the film itself has plenty to say but moore doesnt back anything up with actual proof, as a result a simple search of the internet will lead you to a ton of sites that can easily refute moore's film try

http://www.spinsanity.com/columns/20040702.htm

or-
http://www.davekopel.com/Terror/Fiftysix-Deceits-in-Fahrenheit-
911.htm

or
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1164856/posts

farenhype has already been mentioned by someone, aswell as taking a different stance it backs up its info and also attempts to shoot down the stuff in farenheit . Mostly moore trys to entertain which is why is documentarys are successful, I even liked bowling for columbine,
canadian bacon was alright aswell but it wasnt a doc.

Big Train
06-05-2006, 01:23 AM
I don't believe the guy has a case, since he (Moore) was using news clips, which are covered under the fair use clause of copyright law. Newscasts are a tricky area because they don't need to be licensed to be reproduced. The context in which he used it may have been misleading (I'm certainly leaning in that direction), but the man would be hard pressed to gain damages from how the newscast was used. If he wins however, it would set precedent for fair use of likeness. I think it is a long shot.

matt19
06-05-2006, 02:05 AM
Its still fucked up for him to do that, even if its NBC's fault. Looks like he was just looking for more propaganda, wonder how much other bullshit is in that movie.

Don't complain about him looking for money. Michael Moore has made a career out of capitalizing on tragidies.

thome
06-05-2006, 08:32 AM
Then why do you bother with anything? Why read these posts at the Army? Do you read? Do you watch TV or movies?

You haven't watched it because you fear what he has to say.

I knew that was coming, too easy dude, saw it, knew it, allready thunk-up
a answer for you that explains my position on -why comment why
bother with anything-

95% of the joy of life is when you find others opinions so unbelievably
funny and bombastically beautiful in their ignorance of the true
meaning behind their motivations , -to control thought- , thru
this wisdom of the true answers to reality, we realise, this can only
be celebrated by watching the lemmings that worship this wave
of reality plunge headlong to thier doom.

Then go have some beers an get likkerd -up !
and celebrate the wisom of the.............................. -MOVIE-!

I love when actors say were affecting people changeing their minds and we as actors are tackling relevant social issues and saveing the world and bringing wisdom to the masses,,,,,...............

O..................k.............................. ......as far as you know.

Today i wil go have beers and celebrate my ability to be exactly
like what i have described is the wierdest part of others .

DEMON CUNT
06-06-2006, 08:31 AM
I knew that was coming, too easy dude, saw it, knew it, allready thunk-up
a answer for you that explains my position on -why comment why
bother with anything-

95% of the joy of life is when you find others opinions so unbelievably
funny and bombastically beautiful in their ignorance of the true
meaning behind their motivations , -to control thought- , thru
this wisdom of the true answers to reality, we realise, this can only
be celebrated by watching the lemmings that worship this wave
of reality plunge headlong to thier doom.

Then go have some beers an get likkerd -up !
and celebrate the wisom of the.............................. -MOVIE-!

I love when actors say were affecting people changeing their minds and we as actors are tackling relevant social issues and saveing the world and bringing wisdom to the masses,,,,,...............

O..................k.............................. ......as far as you know.

Today i wil go have beers and celebrate my ability to be exactly
like what i have described is the wierdest part of others .

DANG! Are you an alcoholic?

Seshmeister
06-06-2006, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by rustoffa
I'd be really surprised if that was the case. However, nothing would please me more than to take a motherfucking cattleprod cuntnnected to a mediocre static charge, and attempt illogical explanations' of Moore's motivations' via a fat-head LOBOTOMY.

Wait, that wouldn't explain a goddamned thing...it'd sure make a grate YOUTUBE upload though!

He's an overfed, sensationalistic, capitalizing charlatan. You wanna prove something to me Mr. Moore? Go on a fucking hunger strike....'til the next war starts.

Shit, my bad.....that definition could encompass all kinds of shit.

Just do a low-budget production on Velveeta...reap the rewards of another big time pandering job, and DIE.

So overall on the whole you wouldn't call yourself a diehard Moore fan?