PDA

View Full Version : Dear Mr vai......

doctor roth
06-02-2006, 06:54 AM
Id have to say after listening to all that Steve Vai has done (well most of it anyway) I always find myself going back to his work in a 'band', ie with a singer. Am i the only one that thinks vai is complimented by a singer ??? Thoughs please ..... Keeping in mind that whitesnake may be the exception.

ashstralia
06-02-2006, 07:19 AM
:hitch:

dave and steve made some grate music.

i want an eeas reunion. half the band's already rehearsed.

:cool:

Dave's Bitch
06-02-2006, 07:22 AM
i agree,im not like a die hard vai fan but i like his work,and it seems to be easyer to listen to when he has a singer aswell,like his Alcatraaz stuff,and ofcourse Eat 'em and Smile

Hardrock69
06-02-2006, 10:23 AM
Anything to keep him from boring the crap out of people everywhere.

I went to see him a year ago.

Was so bored I left after 45 minutes.

Same with Whangbar Guitarstring.

I am more interested in hearing competent songwriters than to be bored to tears by some wanker doing typewriter exercises on his guitar.

I agree Stave and Yngwie are amazing guitarists, but just because they are technically proficient to the extreme does not automatically make them "great" songwriters.

Panamark
06-02-2006, 10:31 AM
Well said HR69.

Im totally with ya there.
Look at Angus Young. How many riffs has he written that
will live on forever ?? Yet he is no typewriter guitar player.

I can think of maybe 2 riffs from Steve Vai.. More from Yngwie..
But I can think of 30-50 riffs off the top of my head with Angus...

Songwriters and wankers....

Like you, I prefer a good songwriter, even if they dont play like Yngwie.

EVH was good in both respects, back in the day....

doctor roth
06-02-2006, 01:01 PM
What about sex and religion ???? Im a HUGE fan, took me a bit of time but WOW WOW WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Terry
06-02-2006, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Hardrock69
Anything to keep him from boring the crap out of people everywhere.

I went to see him a year ago.

Was so bored I left after 45 minutes.

Same with Whangbar Guitarstring.

I am more interested in hearing competent songwriters than to be bored to tears by some wanker doing typewriter exercises on his guitar.

I agree Stave and Yngwie are amazing guitarists, but just because they are technically proficient to the extreme does not automatically make them "great" songwriters.

Agreed.

I play, and I dug instrumental stuff like Blow By Blow, Wired, some of Yngwie's earlier stuff, parts of Surfing With The Alien, but with Vai I really haven't cared for much of what he's done post-EEAS. The guy probably has the ability to play just about anything he could think up, but he and "Satch" (what a queer nickname) engage in far too much wanking for my tastes: feels at times that the music they're playing is little more than a vehicle for solos.

Technique for the sake of technique. Which is fine if that's what one likes, but Vai's stuff just doesn't really do anything for me.

binnie
06-03-2006, 04:42 AM
I don't think he works that well in a band format, EEAS the exception.

He needs to show off, so he should just keep doing what he does.