• LoungeMachine
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

Some Whine with your Chedder?

Saturday, June 3, 2006

Who needs Van Halen? Not Sammy Hagar
    For the Tribune

June 2, 2006

Sammy Hagar says he’s looking forward to touring alone this summer, because he’s hoping this trek turns out better than his 2004 tour fronting Van Halen, the platinum-selling group he led from 1985 to 1996.

“It wasn’t a great experience,” Hagar says of the muchhyped Van Halen reunion shows. “Onstage, the fans made it a wonderful experience by being so receptive and so overwhelming. They made us all just look at each other and go ‘Oh my God, this is the greatest thing in the world.’ So it took the edge off.
    But the second we went and left the stage or certainly building up to going onstage, I couldn’t even go (near guitarist Eddie Van Halen).”

Hagar isn’t sitting around mourning the absence of Van Halen. He’s hitting the road with his regular band, the Wabos, and one of the year’s most elaborate productions. His stage set is modeled after his Cabo Wabo Cantina in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, only it’s bigger and better than past models.

But the Hagar concert experience will go far beyond that. The man known as the “Red Rocker” is bringing an entire village to venues that will open at 3 p.m. on concert days and feature Mexican food, drinks (margaritas being a favorite beverage) and volleyball.

“It’s really a Cabo Wabo festival,” he says. “It’s about what happens in Cabo. It’s about the lifestyle, the food, the music, the ambience of that.”

And once the music starts, fans can expect a typically extensive show from Hagar, beginning with an 80-minute opening set from Hagar and the Wabos.

Then Van Halen bassist Michael Anthony will join the festivities, and under the name The Other Half, they’ll launch into a set of Van Halen tunes.

“We’re playing some obscure songs,” Hagar says. “We’re really trying to make it for the hard-cores.”

After a short break, Hagar and the Wabos will return to wrap up the show on full throttle.

As part of the concert, audiences will get a sampling of new music. A new solo CD, “Living It Up,” is finished, and Hagar hopes to have a record deal in place shortly that will allow him get the CD in stores in the next few weeks.

The new CD centers on the fun-inthe-sun Cabo lifestyle set to Hagar’s patented good-time hard rock sound.

“It’s purely a lifestyle record,” Hagar says. “It’s still a Sammy Hagar record, it’s just totally aimed at my fans. There’s no anger on it because I’m in a whole different space in my head and in my life today.

“The best way to describe this record for my fans is it’s the manual for the way we live,” he says.

THE WAY WE WERE

Clearly, Hagar wasn’t in such a cheerful mood two years ago as Van Halen worked its way through an 80-date reunion tour.

Hagar has not closed the door on reuniting with Anthony and the Van Halen brothers — Eddie and drummer Alex. But he emphatically says no reunion will happen unless he sees some fundamental changes in Eddie Van Halen’s behavior and disposition.

“They had to keep us so separated. We were going to fist-fight,” Hagar says. “I’ve got my beliefs, and not to ego trip about how it should be done, but I believe you care about what you’re doing enough to go out there and play the damn songs right. And I mean, night after night that never happened. There were times where Alex, his brother, would be looking at me and I’d say, ‘What song is he playing?’ I don’t know. It just wasn’t fair, number one, to the players and everyone else, to come out in the condition that he was in 99 percent of the shows.”

More than that, Hagar says, Eddie Van Halen simply wasn’t a pleasant person to be around.

“I wouldn’t even want my children in the same room because of the attitude and the violence and just the miserable unhappiness that is the anti, the opposite, of what I am,” Hagar says. “I’m all about having fun. I’m all about being happy and giving love and treating people the way you want to be treated. I’m not about punching people out and throwing people out and yelling and calling people names and smashing things up and destroying other people’s property and being rude and obnoxious.”

Sammy Hagar
    What: 7 p.m. Sunday (gates open at 3 p.m.) When: Cricket Pavilion, 2121 N. 83rd Ave., Phoenix Cost: $9 to $20 Information:
    (602) 254-7200

-
    Originally posted by Kristy
    Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
    Originally posted by cadaverdog
    I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?
  • Wawazat
    ROCKSTAR

• Jul 2005

Re: Some Whine with your Chedder?

Originally posted by LoungeMachine
    Saturday, June 3, 2006

"We’re playing some obscure songs,” Hagar says. “We’re really trying to make it for the hard-cores.”
    -
    A 25 minute version of "Sam I Am"

Heaven help us all
    Day-dreaming's gone commercial

Comment

• DlocRoth
      ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

He has to get people drunk at 3 p.m. so they might enjoy the show......
      Fuck Scott Weiland. Fucking asshole. I get trashed all the time and still go to work. And my job sucks ass. -ODShowtime

Comment

• The_KiD
        Commando
        • Jun 2005

Green Eggs and Ham Sam I am ...

KiD

Comment

• sadaist
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jul 2004

He is just re-stating what we already know. Eddie is messed up & needs help. The 2004 tour was bad. I always enjoy the long Eddie guitar solo. But this was just messy. I hope some of this press gets back to him. Something has to finally hit him where he looks in the mirror and says "Fuck, what have I done?". Until that happens, no new music, no reunion, no releasing old material.
          “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• bantonelli
            Crazy Ass Mofo
            • Nov 2004

Let's also get the "Reunion" straight.............

The word "Reunion" is defined: EVH, AVH, MA & ROTH
            "Meet us in the Future.....NOT the Pasture".......DLR, August '07, VH Press Conference - Tour '07-'08

Comment

• binnie
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • May 2006

I bet that you can buy his brand Tequila at the T-shirt stand, you just know it...............

Sam, the VH fans aren't missing you either.........
              The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• amadeus
                Head Fluffer
                • Jun 2004

I was watching the CREAM reunion concert and looking at how tight Clapton played and I was wondering why wouldn't Eddie want this kind of legacy as opposed to the shit he is putting his fans through now. He needs to get his head out of his ass, get some serious help and get his ego in check because no one remembers when you just fade away when there is much more to give. As far as Hagar goes, love him or hate him, at least he is giving Van Hagar fans what they want and our very own true frontman, DLR, is doing the same with CVH fans-it's too bad Eddie and Alex don't care enough to do it for the fans!!!

Comment

• binnie
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • May 2006

We are all with ya'

Comment

• guwapo_rocker

“We’re playing some obscure songs,” Hagar says. “We’re really trying to make it for the hard-cores.”

Those are gonna be 3 really happy fans!!!

Comment

• binnie
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • May 2006

Originally posted by guwapo_rocker
                      Those are gonna be 3 really happy fans!!!
                      Alexis, Kari Hagar.....

And

Eddie, just for the free Tequila!

Comment

• guwapo_rocker

Cricket Pavilion,
                        Chirp chirp!!

Comment

• guwapo_rocker

There were times where Alex, his brother, would be looking at me and I’d say, ‘What song is he playing?’ I don’t know. It just wasn’t fair, number one, to the players and everyone else, to come out in the condition that he was in 99 percent of the shows.”

That's sad!!

But true.......some of those clips, I don't think Ed knew where he was.

Comment

• binnie
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • May 2006

Eddie needs help, that's what his brother should be doing right now....

Comment

• thome
                              ROTH ARMY ELITE
                              • Mar 2005

Has anyone ever notice Sam is living in La La Land.

He keeps comenting falsly on the fact that he, is, and was ,great.

Like he really- -get's it- on how cool everyone thinks he is by the way he talks so loveingly about the adoration he is imageining from the non-fans that exist only in his head...?

I must be the only one who notice's the Prince of -telling everyone
                              how much he is telling everyone that they love him- ain't got no clothes.

Comment

Working...