PDA

View Full Version : My biggest regret of this whole thing

Dr. Love
04-19-2004, 02:37 AM
Man, I remember in 1996 when I was as stunned as anyone when Dave walked out on stage on the MTV awards. It's one of those moments you never forget.

I remember walkin' around high school (ha ha you old fucks) on cloud 9 thinking how fuckin' sweet it was. I remember the first time I heard Me Wise Magic, the first time I heard Can't Get This Stuff No More.

I had been introduced to Van Halen through Van Hagar, and didn't know about DLR for a few years. When I found the first 6 albums, I played the shit out of them and came to love that era, where I liked the second era initially. I went from casual fan to Vanatic.

Actually, my first concert with VH, I didn't give a shit ... my Dad made me go, and after I heard Ed do his guitar solo I became very interested. Before that I'd been listening to a lot of Aerosmith and liked that stuff, but I started to listen to more VH, starting with Balance, and then getting their live album. For a long time, I actually thought Van Hagar was responsible for the songs I liked, which were Panama and You Really Got Me.

Anyway, getting back to the point, when I thought Dave was back, I was ecstatic. Not a whole lot of people at my high school knew much about or cared about VH, and didn't get why I was so happy. Fuck it, I didn't care.

Then Dave and VH didn't happen. I was upset, I didn't get it. I didn't know about all the feuding, so I didn't see what was going on. I started hearing about Dave fuckin' things up, and I was bummed. Then I heard about them already having someone else, and I was further bummed.

Gary comes, Gary goes ... Dave might be back? Sweet! But then, it didn't happen ... again. And then the years started to roll by, and eventually I kinda stopped caring. I don't really know what I'm missing. I have some DVDs and some CDs and I can hear the shit, but it's not the same as the concert experience.

So now that it's all said and done, after waiting for fuckin' 5 years or whatever to get Dave back, they go back with Sam ... whatever, I guess. I'll give it a listen because I liked the Sam songs before I heard DLR songs, so I don't approach it the same way you guys do.

But I'll always regret not getting to see DLR and VH, or hearing another album in my day.

thefive
04-19-2004, 02:46 AM
I would suggest to you to go see the Atomic Punks. They are so good and Ralph has Dave down to almost a T. His voice and screams are almost exactly like Dave's. Its the closest you will get to early vh.
You know Dr. Love that I am a DIE HARD Roth fan. Dave is my all time favorite musican in the world.

I am like Big Troubles I listen to almost all Dave when listening to music. ( I know this is not good because you need to hear different types of music.) I do listen to other music mostly on the radio.

I will tell you how much I like Dave. If I told you my second favorite musician for example is whatever I like Dave about 1 million times more than my second favorite.

I guess my point is this you can trust me on The Atomic Punks.

It is a real trip. The first time I saw the atomic punks I took a double take on Ralph the singer. Couldnt believe he had Dave down so much.

thefive

Dr. Love
04-19-2004, 02:47 AM
yeah, I've got some Punks CDs and a DVD and a VHS. Pretty cool shit. I thought their disco/rock album was overall funny, I found the "Beat It" version funny.

thefive
04-19-2004, 02:52 AM
Originally posted by Dr. Love
yeah, I've got some Punks CDs and a DVD and a VHS. Pretty cool shit. I thought their disco/rock album was overall funny, I found the "Beat It" version funny.

You need to see them live. They are playing in more states too now.

What dvd do you have? where did you get it? is it a pro shot?
Did they sing jump? The reason I ask about jump is that I was there at the Whiskey when they did a video of their performance and they played jump and the cradle will rock. The only time they played jump.

thefive

Dr. Love
04-19-2004, 02:53 AM
I'll have to break it out and watch it, I really don't remember. I watched it once. I'll get back to you on it.

Dr. Love
04-19-2004, 02:54 AM
Holy shit, those fuckers are playing Austin. I gotta go see that.

Dr. Love
04-19-2004, 02:55 AM
Nooo!!!1one!! It was March 1st!

thefive
I'll have to break it out and watch it, I really don't remember. I watched it once. I'll get back to you on it.

Okay thanks
get back to me.
thefive

Dr. Love
Wait, that doesn't make sense.

The Punks will be taking part in the Gibson Grand Slam Jam in Austin, TX on Saturday, March 1st.

The show will take place at Antone's. Doors open at 7:00 PM, the show starts at 8:00 PM. Ticket prices are $17 and can be purchased online starting Thursday, April 15th, by clicking HERE.

Venue Address And Phone:
Antone's
612 213 West 5th Street
Austin, TX 78701
Tel: 512.263.4146

Visit their web site at:
http://www.antones.net/

thefive
04-19-2004, 02:59 AM
Dont you mean May 1st?
thefive

thefive
04-19-2004, 02:59 AM
How far are you from Austin?
thefive

madraoul
04-19-2004, 03:08 AM
Man, I remember in 1996 when I was as stunned as anyone when Dave walked out on stage on the MTV awards. It's one of those moments you never forget.

Dude, imagine how my old ass felt. I have MTV on and all of a sudden the theme from Welcome Back Kotter starts and there's Dave in all his glory. I went ballistic. Then the awards show. Heaven!! Then the fucking drunkin' Dutchman show what they are really about. R.I.P Van Halen.

Panamark
04-19-2004, 04:05 AM
Welcome to the club, DOC. The only shit EVH and co have served us Aussies has been non original lineups. You know what really sucks ? even if this Van Hagar debacle tanks, I dont think EVH will swallow his
pride and finally allow Dave back in... That is why I hope more than
anything this tour is a real stinker, cos they have written us all off, including Dave, Forever.. And I reckon they deserve a crappy turnout.

The least they could have done was make this a Dave and Sam thing. Although a lot of us would have disagreed with this, you could see reasoning with such a decision. But once again they gave the big FUCK YOU to the original fans. I hope the original fans have some balls and respond in kind...

GAR
04-19-2004, 04:17 AM
Seeing Ed play with Dave is like tthat old 103 octane Ethyl gas they used to sell at Shell stations back in the day.

Seeing Ed play with Sammy is like that old 110 proof Peppermint Schnapps you used to see winos chug in a back alley trashbin area: you kinda sense a little taste floating in the air but you're forced to leave the place due to an overwhelming and more powerful stench in the arebeyond that hint of freshness.

http://mintyass.com/Page%20Graphics/Pucker.gif

Hummarstra
04-19-2004, 08:48 AM
Punks selling DVD on their website?????

stringfelowhawk
04-19-2004, 11:17 AM
I remember watching the awards show, just by chance really. I was watching tv in the front room and my friend and my Uncle were playing tendo in the den. I heard Van Halen music as I was flippin stations and stopped. Then I see Eddie, Alex, Mikey and ........... Dave? I was 18 and my uncle and I are serious music fans. We love the same stuff. Even though he was 38 or so at the time. Anyone who remembers me from before the site meltdown will remember that since both my parents were married multiple times I have a truly enourmous extended family. Since I was the youngest of all these step brothers and sisters I was exposed to some serious music diversity. I remember "Freakazoid Robots" baby and breakdancin. I heard everything from Motown, Elvis, Stones, to Hank Jr., Charlie Daniels; alot of other classic country stuff like Conway, Kenny, Lorretta, Patsy etc. Plus, I got to hear Classic Rock like Bad Co., ALOT of SKYNYRD, and other Southern rock, Aerosmith, Free, Traffic, Cream, YardBirds, Zep, AC/DC, Sabbath. If you can name it. I was exposed to it. So I have a taste for variety. In fact, at work I'm known for it. NEways, I double taked.... Dave? NO FUCKING WAY!!
I remember screaming, "HELL YEAH! ITS FUCKING ON NOW!" "MUSIC IS ABOUT TO CHANGE FOR THE BETTER......AGAIN!!!!!!!!" I scared the pure hell out of our dog, General. He literally jumped up shaking cause I woke him up from a deep dream. My uncle thought I hurt myself. We always listened to Classic Van Halen when we were playin tendo.... Gets you pumped and makes you laugh... All this happened before the audience even realized what was happening. They were just starting to stand when he ran in the room. To this day, its the only time I've ever gotten goosebumps from something I seen on tv. And then, chaos and tragedy. You know the rest. A little while later I was workin nights and I heard "Me Wise Magic" on the radio. What a fuckin wasted chance. It hurt even more when I realized this was a great song that only hinted at what should have come but didn't. That song still kicks ass!! It's one of my favorite Classic Van Halen songs. I like the zen lyrics and the guitar playin. At the end, after the solo it just gets furious. I remember the dj out of Ft. Walton Beach, Fla saying afterwords that those "pricks" teased us with a stellar song that reminded us of what music was like before the constant whining by the Smashing Pumpkins and the rest of the "alternative crap" out nowadays!" His statement word for word.....
I agreed.. Then just sighed!

Brett
04-19-2004, 01:31 PM
Love - I fucked up, the Gibson Jam show is May 1. The date is right on the calendar, I just had "March on the brain" when I was writing the description.

And no the Punks are not selling any DVD's on the site.

Dr. Love
04-19-2004, 02:13 PM
Awesome. And I'm about 1:15 from Austin, thefive.

thefive
04-19-2004, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by stringfelowhawk
A little while later I was workin nights and I heard "Me Wise Magic" on the radio. What a fuckin wasted chance. It hurt even more when I realized this was a great song that only hinted at what should have come but didn't. That song still kicks ass!! It's one of my favorite Classic Van Halen songs. I like the zen lyrics and the guitar playin. At the end, after the solo it just gets furious. I remember the dj out of Ft. Walton Beach, Fla saying afterwords that those "pricks" teased us with a stellar song that reminded us of what music was like before the constant whining by the Smashing Pumpkins and the rest of the "alternative crap" out nowadays!" His statement word for word.....
I agreed.. Then just sighed!

Me Wise Magic is a kick ass song. I am glad that the DJ had the balls to say that over the radio. Good for him. When Howard Stern heard Me Wise Magic for the first time and he said it during the guitar opening up for that song "Now this is Van Halen" Howard didnt even hear Dave's voice yet and said it sounded like Van Halen.
Ed plays better guitar with Dave at the helm.

thefive

Terry
04-19-2004, 05:34 PM
1996 was beyond belief. Just the idea of Roth returning to Van Halen after 10 years of Van Hagar sounded too good to be true. Stunning news. Seeing them at the MTV Awards together again.

By 1996, it had been over 12 years since I saw Halen on the 1984 tour. Seeing Roth get back together with Eddie and Co, after all the bullshit they slung towards each other in the press over the decade + prior, was totally out of left field. Nobody expected that.

That it didn't happen, and that Gary Cherone ('One night Dave just disappeared, and all we found was a fag in the clearing') ended up in the Van Halen frontman slot, was even more outlandish than Roth reuniting with Van Halen. And all the bullshit Ed and Al were saying about Dave in 1996, hauntingly familiar to what they said in 1985, just didn't add up.

Ed just lost his senses, and I think he had his head in the sand for so long regarding the classic lineup and what it meant to people, that he thought it would be business as usual with Cherone.

Can't really say I have any ill-will over Halen deciding to continue with Sammy in 1985. Would have been nice if they had the balls to call themselves something other than Van Halen....but Dave bailed in 1985, and it wasn't like the guttersniping in the press was one sided on Van Hagar's part (Roth was letting loose too, although with more humor and truth). Not like I expected Eddie to hide in a corner somewhere because Dave left the band.

1996 was a different story, though. Dave wanted to be there and take the reunion on the road. We all wanted to see it. Ed and Al didn't want it to happen, so they went out and concocted a bunch of stories about Dave's voice being shot and such to try and soft-peddle the blow of Cherone being in there.

A severe miscalculation. Van Halen 3 bombing was just desserts.

Can't keep giving the finger to the fans without some backlash.

But if Eddie manages to fill arenas with Eddie sheep this summer, it just enables him to keep on trucking with his head in the sand.

As long as the Red Troll lovers and Eddie grunts give Van Hagar a modicum of success, there's never gonna be a classic Van Halen reunion,

thefive
04-19-2004, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Terry
1996 was beyond belief. Just the idea of Roth returning to Van As long as the Red Troll lovers and Eddie grunts give Van Hagar a modicum of success, there's never gonna be a classic Van Halen reunion,

Exactly there will never be a classic Van Halen reunion.

I probably feel differently than some Roth fans. I love Dave with or without Van Halen. Yes I would like for them to get together but if it doesn't happen its not the end of the world. I am a Dave fan.

thefive

edikop
04-19-2004, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by thefive
Exactly there will never be a classic Van Halen reunion.

if it doesn't happen its not the end of the world. I am a Dave fan.

thefive

Bang on bro !! With you ENTIRELY on this one....:)

Big Troubles
04-19-2004, 08:25 PM
Awesome. And I'm about 1:15 from Austin, thefive.

:wow2:

itsabouttime
04-19-2004, 11:02 PM
So this is the fuckin cry baby thread where all the DLR fans cry there eyes out!! Fuck you guys and all who come over to the links and post drive by's. Why don't you face the fact that Dave and VH DO NOT get along and enjoy what you have today. Sammy fuckin rocks and carrys the band into the new millenium and your goddamn DLR is starting to finally realize he fucked it up forever. Why do you blame Sammy?

Cheers

tjvhou812
04-19-2004, 11:11 PM

I remember walkin' around high school (ha ha you old fucks) on cloud 9 thinking how fuckin' sweet it was. I remember the first time I heard Me Wise Magic, the first time I heard Can't Get This Stuff No More.

I had been introduced to Van Halen through Van Hagar, and didn't know about DLR for a few years. When I found the first 6 albums, I played the shit out of them and came to love that era, where I liked the second era initially. I went from casual fan to Vanatic.

Actually, my first concert with VH, I didn't give a shit ... my Dad made me go, and after I heard Ed do his guitar solo I became very interested. Before that I'd been listening to a lot of Aerosmith and liked that stuff, but I started to listen to more VH, starting with Balance, and then getting their live album. For a long time, I actually thought Van Hagar was responsible for the songs I liked, which were Panama and You Really Got Me.

Anyway, getting back to the point, when I thought Dave was back, I was ecstatic. Not a whole lot of people at my high school knew much about or cared about VH, and didn't get why I was so happy. Fuck it, I didn't care.

Then Dave and VH didn't happen. I was upset, I didn't get it. I didn't know about all the feuding, so I didn't see what was going on. I started hearing about Dave fuckin' things up, and I was bummed. Then I heard about them already having someone else, and I was further bummed.

Gary comes, Gary goes ... Dave might be back? Sweet! But then, it didn't happen ... again. And then the years started to roll by, and eventually I kinda stopped caring. I don't really know what I'm missing. I have some DVDs and some CDs and I can hear the shit, but it's not the same as the concert experience.

So now that it's all said and done, after waiting for fuckin' 5 years or whatever to get Dave back, they go back with Sam ... whatever, I guess. I'll give it a listen because I liked the Sam songs before I heard DLR songs, so I don't approach it the same way you guys do.

But I'll always regret not getting to see DLR and VH, or hearing another album in my day.

i have to agree, i seen dave many of times, seen van halen w/sam , many of times,
but i wish i had the chance to see dave w/vh

Terry
04-20-2004, 05:29 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by itsabouttime
So this is the fuckin cry baby thread where all the DLR fans cry there eyes out!! Fuck you guys and all who come over to the links and post drive by's. Why don't you face the fact that Dave and VH DO NOT get along and enjoy what you have today. Sammy fuckin rocks and carrys the band into the new millenium and your goddamn DLR is starting to finally realize he fucked it up forever. Why do you blame Sammy?

Cheers [/QUOTE

If you can enjoy Van Hagar, more power to you.

I, for one, define Van Halen as Roth, sisters Halen and MA, and accept no substitutes.

Sam does nothing for me. A second-division performer in his solo days who, along with Ed, turned Van Halen from a legendary band into a joke.

Ed and Co. are limping into the new millenium with a Van Hagar greatest hits tour. Not that reuniting with Roth would have been any better, 'cause even Dave would have an uphill struggle lighting a fire under Ed's ass, but it would be (at the worst) more interesting to watch than Sam Halen singing "Love Comes Walking In".

NathanRay
04-20-2004, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by itsabouttime

Cheers

Eddie, man, Those Boos are making you Delusional again. look at you You used to be the King. It's You're Fault. VH Linkers are Heavy Drinkers but they're Limp in the Wrist and they talk with a lisp.

madraoul
04-20-2004, 10:14 PM
Fuck you guys and all who come over to the links and post drive by's.

Drive by's? The Hagarita's are into hip-hop now? What the fuck is a VH link? Everybody knows Van Halen is:

Lead Vocals - David Lee Roth
Guitars - Whoever the fuck Dave says
Bass - Whoever the fuck Dave says
Drums - Whoever the fuck Dave says

itsabouttime
04-21-2004, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by NathanRay
Eddie, man, Those Boos are making you Delusional again. look at you You used to be the King. It's You're Fault. VH Linkers are Heavy Drinkers but they're Limp in the Wrist and they talk with a lisp.
Yeah, well, the time is right to make it good. You come see me and chant my name in the front row again motherfucker. I'll be the one ripping through some of the old shit like you aint never heard it.

NathanRay
04-23-2004, 11:51 AM
Yeah, well, the time is right to make it good. You come see me and chant my name in the front row again motherfucker. I'll be the one ripping through some of the old shit like you aint never heard it.

Oh Really.... I'm sure you will with all your Peavey sponsered gear. I'm sure that tone that got us all lovin ya in the first place will never be back. What old songs are you gonna play with Sammy on the Mic??? JUMP??

Sammy's got his ass against the glass of a hotdog machine.... I think you know what I mean..Wanna Feel what he meeanns.. Aw Eddie must be Drunk! Drunk! Aw Ed must be Drunk! Drunk! You might as well get Krunk! Krunk! You Know Ed Plays Better Drunk! Drunk!.................................. Drunk!

itsabouttime
04-24-2004, 03:16 PM
Always one more
You're never satisfied
Never one for all with you
It's only one for me
So, why draw the line?
Meet you half the way
When you don't know what that means
Whoa, yeah

It's 5150 time baby!

pete
04-24-2004, 03:40 PM
Always one more
You're never satisfied
Never one for all with you
It's only one for me
So, why draw the line?
Meet you half the way
When you don't know what that means
Whoa, yeah

LOL

that's very inspirational

itsabouttime
04-24-2004, 04:57 PM
Why? How does it inspire you?

pete
04-24-2004, 05:16 PM
Why? How does it inspire you?

it doesn't I'm just humoring youR ummm.......... feminine perspective.

clearly, only a female, of little means and education, could appreciate that verse. let alone, take the time to type it out. it obviously means something to you

and that is sad

for the whole human race.

I have little hope for the future.

and i feel especially sorry for any children that may erupt from your ass in the course of your oxygen wasting existence.

HAVE A GREAT DAY!!!

itsabouttime
04-24-2004, 05:51 PM
Oh, so you are the guy that tries to post the most obnoxios thing that your small mind can conjure up.. fine. I didn't mean to bring out the homophobe, 'dumb' woman hater in you. At least you care for the children.

Everyday is great now that fuckin VAN HALEN is back together.

I hope the rest of your days are filled with dreams of DLR and what could have been ...

pete
04-24-2004, 06:14 PM
Oh, so you are the guy that tries to post the most obnoxios thing that your small mind can conjure up.. fine. I didn't mean to bring out the homophobe, 'dumb' woman hater in you. At least you care for the children.

Everyday is great now that fuckin VAN HALEN is back together.

I hope the rest of your days are filled with dreams of DLR and what could have been ...

A)if my mind is small, then you're a piece of shit on the lawn

B)If I offended you, I must apoloize that I'm in no position to physically beat the shit out of you. You've earned it. Poor parenting skills encouraged it.

C)I posted nothing to lead you to think that i hate anyone. Woman, Homosexuals or retarded homosexuals (much like yourself, although they're smarter than you)

D)If the existance of a rock band dictates the state of your days...
I should just stop posting now as this could be doing more damage to your already malformed, sheep-like intellect.

E)Save a copy of this so you can practive leaning the first 5 notes of the ABC song. It's kinda like "when It's Love" only more rock-n-roll.

Oh &

HAVE A GREAT DAY!

DavidLeeNatra
04-24-2004, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by pete

HAVE A GREAT DAY!

and get the fuck outta here...