X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dr. Love
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Jan 2004

My biggest regret of this whole thing

Man, I remember in 1996 when I was as stunned as anyone when Dave walked out on stage on the MTV awards. It's one of those moments you never forget.

I remember walkin' around high school (ha ha you old fucks) on cloud 9 thinking how fuckin' sweet it was. I remember the first time I heard Me Wise Magic, the first time I heard Can't Get This Stuff No More.

I had been introduced to Van Halen through Van Hagar, and didn't know about DLR for a few years. When I found the first 6 albums, I played the shit out of them and came to love that era, where I liked the second era initially. I went from casual fan to Vanatic.

Actually, my first concert with VH, I didn't give a shit ... my Dad made me go, and after I heard Ed do his guitar solo I became very interested. Before that I'd been listening to a lot of Aerosmith and liked that stuff, but I started to listen to more VH, starting with Balance, and then getting their live album. For a long time, I actually thought Van Hagar was responsible for the songs I liked, which were Panama and You Really Got Me.

Anyway, getting back to the point, when I thought Dave was back, I was ecstatic. Not a whole lot of people at my high school knew much about or cared about VH, and didn't get why I was so happy. Fuck it, I didn't care.

Then Dave and VH didn't happen. I was upset, I didn't get it. I didn't know about all the feuding, so I didn't see what was going on. I started hearing about Dave fuckin' things up, and I was bummed. Then I heard about them already having someone else, and I was further bummed.

Gary comes, Gary goes ... Dave might be back? Sweet! But then, it didn't happen ... again. And then the years started to roll by, and eventually I kinda stopped caring. I don't really know what I'm missing. I have some DVDs and some CDs and I can hear the shit, but it's not the same as the concert experience.

So now that it's all said and done, after waiting for fuckin' 5 years or whatever to get Dave back, they go back with Sam ... whatever, I guess. I'll give it a listen because I liked the Sam songs before I heard DLR songs, so I don't approach it the same way you guys do.

But I'll always regret not getting to see DLR and VH, or hearing another album in my day.
    I've got the cure you're thinkin' of.

http://i.imgur.com/jBw4fCu.gif
  • thefive

I would suggest to you to go see the Atomic Punks. They are so good and Ralph has Dave down to almost a T. His voice and screams are almost exactly like Dave's. Its the closest you will get to early vh.
    You know Dr. Love that I am a DIE HARD Roth fan. Dave is my all time favorite musican in the world.

I am like Big Troubles I listen to almost all Dave when listening to music. ( I know this is not good because you need to hear different types of music.) I do listen to other music mostly on the radio.

I will tell you how much I like Dave. If I told you my second favorite musician for example is whatever I like Dave about 1 million times more than my second favorite.

I guess my point is this you can trust me on The Atomic Punks.

It is a real trip. The first time I saw the atomic punks I took a double take on Ralph the singer. Couldnt believe he had Dave down so much.

thefive
    Last edited by thefive; 04-19-2004, 02:48 AM.

Comment

• Dr. Love
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Jan 2004

yeah, I've got some Punks CDs and a DVD and a VHS. Pretty cool shit. I thought their disco/rock album was overall funny, I found the "Beat It" version funny.

Comment

• thefive

Originally posted by Dr. Love
        yeah, I've got some Punks CDs and a DVD and a VHS. Pretty cool shit. I thought their disco/rock album was overall funny, I found the "Beat It" version funny.
        You need to see them live. They are playing in more states too now.

What dvd do you have? where did you get it? is it a pro shot?
        Did they sing jump? The reason I ask about jump is that I was there at the Whiskey when they did a video of their performance and they played jump and the cradle will rock. The only time they played jump.

thefive

Comment

• Dr. Love
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Jan 2004

I'll have to break it out and watch it, I really don't remember. I watched it once. I'll get back to you on it.

Comment

• Dr. Love
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Jan 2004

Holy shit, those fuckers are playing Austin. I gotta go see that.

Comment

• Dr. Love
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Jan 2004

Nooo!!!1one!! It was March 1st!

Comment

• thefive

I'll have to break it out and watch it, I really don't remember. I watched it once. I'll get back to you on it.
                Okay thanks
                get back to me.
                thefive

Comment

• Dr. Love
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Jan 2004

Wait, that doesn't make sense.

The Punks will be taking part in the Gibson Grand Slam Jam in Austin, TX on Saturday, March 1st.

The show will take place at Antone's. Doors open at 7:00 PM, the show starts at 8:00 PM. Ticket prices are $17 and can be purchased online starting Thursday, April 15th, by clicking HERE.

Venue Address And Phone:
                  Antone's
                  612 213 West 5th Street
                  Austin, TX 78701
                  Tel: 512.263.4146

Visit their web site at:

Comment

• thefive

Dont you mean May 1st?
                    thefive

Comment

• thefive

How far are you from Austin?
                      thefive

Comment

• madraoul
                        Foot Soldier
                        • Feb 2004

Man, I remember in 1996 when I was as stunned as anyone when Dave walked out on stage on the MTV awards. It's one of those moments you never forget.
                        Dude, imagine how my old ass felt. I have MTV on and all of a sudden the theme from Welcome Back Kotter starts and there's Dave in all his glory. I went ballistic. Then the awards show. Heaven!! Then the fucking drunkin' Dutchman show what they are really about. R.I.P Van Halen.

Comment

• Panamark
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jan 2004

Welcome to the club, DOC. The only shit EVH and co have served us Aussies has been non original lineups. You know what really sucks ? even if this Van Hagar debacle tanks, I dont think EVH will swallow his
                          pride and finally allow Dave back in... That is why I hope more than
                          anything this tour is a real stinker, cos they have written us all off, including Dave, Forever.. And I reckon they deserve a crappy turnout.

The least they could have done was make this a Dave and Sam thing. Although a lot of us would have disagreed with this, you could see reasoning with such a decision. But once again they gave the big FUCK YOU to the original fans. I hope the original fans have some balls and respond in kind...
                          BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
                          Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• GAR
                            Banned
                            • Jan 2004

Seeing Ed play with Dave is like tthat old 103 octane Ethyl gas they used to sell at Shell stations back in the day.

Seeing Ed play with Sammy is like that old 110 proof Peppermint Schnapps you used to see winos chug in a back alley trashbin area: you kinda sense a little taste floating in the air but you're forced to leave the place due to an overwhelming and more powerful stench in the arebeyond that hint of freshness.

Comment

• Hummarstra
                              Commando
                              • Feb 2004

Punks selling DVD on their website?????

Comment

Working...