X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sadaist
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jul 2004

If/when we go to war with Iran

Question for everyone. If/when we go to Iran, will their military be harder or easier to defeat than Iraq's? I don't really know too much about their army. We were warned about Iraq's Elite Revolutionary Guard that turned out to be nothing more than a nuisance. I'm not talking about insurgency and the likes, but Iran's organized military.

Now if they fought Iraq for 10 years and ended in a basic draw, wouldn't that mean they are about equal in strength?

Honest question. Not trying to debate it one way or the other.

Photo of Heather Thomas to view while you write any responses.
    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”
  • binnie
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • May 2006

I don't know either.....

I'm sure the military knows, just have to check it's receits for sales of arms in the '80's.

I imagine the problem would again be insurgency.
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• bueno bob
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jul 2004

Insurgency may not be so much of a problem as you think. I've spoken to several Iranians and from what they've told me, many people of the average population hates the ruling government and actually admires America as a country due to the fact that it really hasn't gotten into bed too deeply with crooked clerics, at least not on the level of the EU or others...

Of course, nobody will say this outloud...so...I don't know...

In regards to military might, they're probably more or less even with Iraq's guard...but you also have to consider that American forces are very wide-spread, undersupported by their own government and not at 100% efficiency anymore.

I think everybody can agree that the best thing to hope for is that it doesn't even escalate to the level where we have to find out...
      Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• sadaist
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by bueno bob

I think everybody can agree that the best thing to hope for is that it doesn't even escalate to the level where we have to find out...
        Sometimes I get the feeling that it's a foregone conclusion and the administration is just going through the red tape before it happens.
        “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• bueno bob
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by sadaist
          Sometimes I get the feeling that it's a foregone conclusion and the administration is just going through the red tape before it happens.
          Probably you're right...I made allusions to the same thing in another thread here recently...

You know, I find it kinda funny that we (and I mean the U.S. Government, not "us" per se) are apparently in a position to mandate to the rest of the world who can have nuclear capability and who cannot.

Fuck, with the way Bush acts, no wonder other countries want some kind of self defense. I mean, really...

What happens when Europe or Canada or Russia or China steps up to the plate and starts telling us what our nuclear program will or won't consist of?

It's no fucking wonder people hate us these days.

Bush's biggest accomplishment in his White House term has seemingly been to progress us by leaps and bounds back to Cold War status and get 2nd/3rd world countries re-interested in an arms race.

Nice work, George.
          Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• sadaist
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jul 2004

I think the only thing that has saved North Korea thus far is that they do have nukes.

Comment

• bueno bob
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jul 2004

Well, it's been a bait-n-switch routine...Osama and al-Queda gave way to Iraq and Hussein with neither bin Laden captured nor al-Queda broken. Onto Iraq, sabre-rattling with North Korea, verbal sparring and threats against Iran...

Bush's penchant for lumping anybody, regardless of WHO, who didn't kiss his ass into his little "Axis of Evil" couldn't have been well advised, but let's not fool ourselves - this is NOT a President concerned with the future of America or with any trouble he starts and can't finish.

Fuck, he freely admits that. Last time he was asked for an Iraq timetable, he dismissed it with "That's up for some other President to decide".

OK, Pontius.

I find it bewildering that people still fucking defend that idiot. I've seen Hagar fans on here with more direction than what George has.
              Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• binnie
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • May 2006

It's a scary thought, but you have to remember that iraq was weakened by the first Iraq war,

So maybe Iran would be stronger

Comment

• DrMaddVibe
                  ROTH ARMY ELITE
                  • Jan 2004

Heather Thomas?
                  http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...auders1zl5.gif
                  http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...willywonka.gif

Comment

• The_KiD
                    Commando
                    • Jun 2005

Derka Derka Bitches...

Comment

• bueno bob
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jul 2004

It's hard to say.

The biggest consideration is that Iran's at more or less full strength, while our armed forces suffer from a lack of recruits (probably due mostly to the fact that nobody's particularly excited about going to strange places and getting blown the fuck up for what amounts to no particularly good reason), depletion of resources, poor funding from the federal government...they're spread thin between Iraq and every place else they're currently "policing", and I'm going to go out on a limb and make the assumption that, generally speaking, morale isn't exactly at an all time high from grunt to grunt now that good ole Curious George has entrenched them in Vietnam 2.0; that's of course assumption on my part, but when you could wake up any morning and be part of a "25 person casualty" day as the result of a so-called "terrorist" who looks more and more increasingly like a freedom fighter, well...do the math...

The U.S. military is NOT in the condition right now to enter another full-scale engagement, and anybody in Washington who tells you otherwise is either a fucking liar or doesn't know jack shit about how to run an engagement.

Period.
                      Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• bueno bob
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by The_KiD
                        Derka Derka Bitches...
                        "COMIN' TO SAVE THE MOTHER FUCKIN' DAY, YEAH!!!"

Grate movie...heheh...
                        Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• bueno bob
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
                          Heather Thomas?
                          That's such a grate poster...
                          Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• binnie
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • May 2006

Originally posted by bueno bob
                            That's such a grate poster...
                            Agreed!

Comment

• BigBadBrian
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by binnie
                              Agreed!
                              I second the motion.

Bump to keep her on top.

“If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

Working...