Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lucky wilbury

Saudis said to boost oil output

Saudis said to boost oil output

No. 1 oil exporter will reportedly increase production before election in effort to help Bush.
    April 19, 2004: 7:09 AM EDT

NEW YORK (CNN) - A top Saudi official has assured President Bush that his country will increase oil production to lower gas prices before November to help the president's re-election prospects, according to a broadcast report Sunday.

Washington Post journalist Bob Woodward, discussing his new book on the run-up to the Iraq war on CBS' '60 Minutes,' said Prince Bandar bin Sultan, the Saudi ambassador to the United States and a long-time friend of the Bush family, has given the pledge that "certainly over the summer, or as we get closer to the election, they could increase production several million barrels a day and the price would drop significantly."

Earlier this month, the Saudi ambassador publicly said his country wants to stabilize world oil prices because of the effect a price spike might have on economies around the world, including Saudi Arabia. He did not link the effort to the U.S. election.

Record-high gas prices have become an issue in the presidential race between Bush and the presumptive Democratic nominee, Sen. John Kerry.

Kerry has criticized Bush for not doing more to bring high prices under control, while the Bush campaign has run ads noting that Kerry once supported a 50-cent per gallon increase in the federal gasoline tax, which would have meant even higher prices.

Amid concerns that plans by OPEC to cut oil production could raise prices even further, Prince Bandar went to the White House April 1 to meet with National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice and to deliver a message to Bush from Crown Prince Abdullah, the de facto Saudi ruler.

Afterward, he told reporters that Saudi Arabia is committed to heading off any shortages in the world energy market.

"We will not allow shortages in the market because that will hurt the world economy," he said. "Saudi Arabia does not live on the moon. When the world economy gets hurt, we get hurt also."

He also said that the president and the crown prince "have been in touch on this subject for a while now."

"Both leaders feel strongly that higher energy prices have a negative impact on the world economy and on the recovery of the world economy," Prince Bandar said. "We will not allow shortage of the markets of oil in the market to increase the prices."

The ambassador said Saudi Arabia would like to see the price of oil, which now tops $33 a barrel, to be between $22 and $28 a barrel.

OPEC has said it plans to cut production by as much as 1 million barrels per day in April, which would further increase prices. However, Saudi Arabia, as OPEC's most influential member and largest producer, could thwart those plans.
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Fucking criminal terrorist bastards.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• BigBadBrian
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by FORD
      Fucking criminal terrorist bastards.
      So you'll support a war against SA then? Interesting.
      “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• Dr. Love
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Jan 2004

Heh, I'm not sure what to think. On one hand, I want the price of my gas to go down. On the other hand, I don't like other countries trying to influence our elections.

Of course, we do it to them, so I hear.
        I've got the cure you're thinkin' of.

http://i.imgur.com/jBw4fCu.gif

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by BigBadBrian
          So you'll support a war against SA then? Interesting.

Doesn't matter, because it will never happen with their 40 year business partners (the BCE) in the White House.
          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• alexpgrimes
            Foot Soldier
            • Jan 2004

All I know is I'm getting tired of it costing almost $30.00 To fill up my truck.
            If I want any shit out of you, I'll squeeze your head.

Comment

• lucky wilbury

Originally posted by alexpgrimes
              All I know is I'm getting tired of it costing almost $30.00 To fill up my truck.
              add another 50 cents per gallon and you'd get what kerry wants you to pay per gallon.

Comment

• Mr Grimsdale
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Jan 2004

Saudis deny US poll 'price fix'

Saudis deny US poll 'price fix'

Saudi Arabia has denied it came to an agreement with the US administration to cut oil prices to try to sway November's presidential elections.
                Veteran journalist Bob Woodward has made the claim in his latest book.

The Saudi envoy in the US said that any conversations he had about oil prices with a Republican president were no different to those with Democrats.

The issue drew anger from Democratic presidential rival John Kerry who said any secret deal would be "outrageous".

Woodward's book, Plan of Attack, about the Iraq war build-up, claims that Saudi Arabia - the world's largest oil producer - could pump several million extra barrels a day ahead of elections to bring about a significant drop in price.

The Washington Post reporter defended the assertion on Sunday night in the CBS programme 60 Minutes.

"I know that that is their plan. Maybe they're going to deny it, or maybe the White House is going to deny something. [But] if you knew my reporting, you would have confidence in it," he said.

Consistent policy

A Saudi official issued a statement saying Riyadh did not interfere in elections and believed oil was too important a global commodity to use for political purposes.

"Over the past 30 years, the kingdom has sought to ensure adequate supplies of crude at moderate price levels that are acceptable to both producers and consumers.

"This policy is consistent, and independent of who is in power within consuming countries, including the US," the official, Adel al-Jubeir, said.

Prince Bandar called CNN's Paul Zahn Now programme to deny accusations made in Plan of Attack, which include that he knew about US plans for war with Iraq before Secretary of State Colin Powell.

He acknowledged discussing oil prices with President Bush, but said he had "had the same conversation with President Clinton in the year 2000 about the same issue.... I had the same conversation with President Carter in 1979".

Under pressure

The White House has not commented directly on Woodward's remarks, but spokesman Scott McClellan said at recent talks Prince Bandar had "committed to making sure" oil prices remained in a range between $22-28 per barrel and insisted Saudi Arabia would do nothing to harm US consumers or its economy.

Some Democratic politicians have called for Prince Bandar to be expelled from his post and the issue has been snapped up by Senator John Kerry, the Democratic challenger in the upcoming presidential elections.

"If... it is true that gas supplies and prices in America are tied to the American election, then tied to a secret White House deal, that is outrageous and unacceptable to the American people," Senator John Kerry said on Monday in Florida.

Mr Bush has been under pressure over rising petrol prices, which hit $1.81 per gallon on Monday, a new high for the fourth week in a row, US energy officials said.

Prince Bandar has been the Saudi envoy in Washington for 20 years. Correspondents say the Saudi royal family, of which he is a member, has close ties with the family of President Bush.
                Originally posted by flappo
                i'm sure grimsdale's on drugs

Originally posted by Cato
                translating your Japanese.

"Master Cato is...I order, it's yours. don't ask me to do gay material for the life of me because you kick my bat."

omae baka dana?

Comment

• Mr Grimsdale
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Jan 2004

if the bits in bold are true in kind of shoots down both the anti-republican and anti-democrat theories

...mind you ever done business with an arab?
                  my advice take everything they say with a pinch of salt
                  shifty baaaaaaastards
                  Originally posted by flappo
                  i'm sure grimsdale's on drugs

Originally posted by Cato
                  translating your Japanese.

"Master Cato is...I order, it's yours. don't ask me to do gay material for the life of me because you kick my bat."

omae baka dana?

Comment

• John Ashcroft
                    Veteran
                    • Jan 2004

What did Lawrence think?

Comment

• steve
                      Sniper
                      • Feb 2004

Just reading all this makes me want to vomit, drive my compact car off a cliff, and bike everywhere.

Being dependent on oil sucks ass.

And BTW... if your car is as big as a BUS (aka: Expedition, Suburban, etc...); we of the nomal mass transporters feel no sorrow for your fill-up costs...you reap what you sew, hog bastards.
                      Last edited by steve; 04-20-2004, 04:02 PM.

Comment

• High Life Man
                        Commando
                        • Jan 2004

Time to drill Alaska.

Comment

• BigBadBrian
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by steve
                          Just reading all this makes me want to vomit, drive my compact car off a cliff, and bike everywhere.

Being dependent on oil sucks ass.

And BTW... if your car is as big as a BUS (aka: Expedition, Suburban, etc...); we of the nomal mass transporters feel no sorrow for your fill-up costs...you reap what you sew, hog bastards.
                          I drive a full-sized pickup and 90% of the time it's just me in the truck. Isn't America Great?!?!?!?!

Go ahead and drive your car off the cliff. Who will actually care?

BTW- The Saudis said Clinton asked them to hold down oil prices in 2000 so his boy algore could get elected. Pot. Kettle. Black.
                          “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• lucky wilbury

i don't see how this is a bad thing or an issue. whats kerry going to say bush was told by the saudis that they would increase output to lower prices? most people would be fine with that. cheaper gas .

Comment

• Cathedral
                              ROTH ARMY ELITE
                              • Jan 2004

Shit, this is a non-issue...The Republican support for Bush is dropping among folks in my circle.
                              This change is based on the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and has shit to do with gas prices.
                              Those who i know who have family serving in Iraq and Afghanistan are now considering a vote for a Democrat or not voting at all.

Not once was the price of gas brought up.

But personally, if you want to drive you will pay the price. If you purchased a vehicle that sucks it up like I did then we dug our own hole and had better get used to it.
                              Don't think about selling the vehicle either unless you are willing to sell for less than market value.

If the price of Saudi Oil dictates to any American who they should vote for in Nov. then you they are an idiot who cares nothing about the process and votes solely for selfish reasons....I'd prefer you slept in on Election Day and didn't leave your home until the polls are closed.

Comment

Working...