PDA

View Full Version : Bark at the Moon or The Ultimate Sin?

binnie
06-06-2006, 03:01 PM
Been listening to these two a lot recently,

We all know they're not a patch on Blizzard or Diary,

But which one is better?

Thoughts?

DlocRoth
06-06-2006, 03:04 PM
Ultimate Sin had funnier videos....

binnie
06-06-2006, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by DlocRoth
Ultimate Sin had funnier videos....

That's true, LOL!

sadaist
06-06-2006, 03:15 PM
I'd have to go with Bark At The Moon. Some really cool guitar riffs in that. But Secret Loser is a pretty F'ing awesome song.

The_KiD
06-06-2006, 03:25 PM
Bark at the Moon... Definitely..

KiD

binnie
06-06-2006, 03:27 PM
I'm torn, cos I really like the title track Ultimate Sin,

But Bark is better overall

Bill Lumbergh
06-06-2006, 04:23 PM
Bark is a VERY GOOD album IMO........Ultimate is definitely weak in some spots, and the production is orrible, but there are 3 or 4 songs I really like.............Lightning Strikes is my fave...........

Mr Badguy
06-06-2006, 05:12 PM
I like "The ultimate sin" better.

"Spiders" and "So tired" are...erm..so tired.

"Slow down" which wasn`t on the original UK release of "Bark at the moon" kicks big time arse.

But the brutal riff of "The ultimate sin", the classic "Shot in the dark" and the underrated "Secret loser" more than make up for the goofy mid 1980`s anti nuclear songs.

Both have their faults but they are a lot better than anything he`s recorded since.

Seshmeister
06-06-2006, 05:54 PM
Bark at the Moon by a mile.

The Ultimate Sin was a big disappointment.

Terry
06-06-2006, 08:44 PM
Bark At The Moon just had better songs, due in no small part to Bob Daisley's participation.

Ultimate Sin had weak songs and weak solos.

Seshmeister
06-06-2006, 09:12 PM
Terry I'm sure eventually that there will come a day in the distant future where I will disagree with a single one of your posts.:)

Terry
06-06-2006, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
Terry I'm sure eventually that there will come a day in the distant future where I will disagree with a single one of your posts.:)

I'm sure I must have posted something somewhere along the line you thought was just plain bunk:D

PHOENIX
06-06-2006, 09:44 PM
I love Bark at The Moon. Ultimate Sin was just too glam.

sadaist
06-07-2006, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by PHOENIX
I love Bark at The Moon. Ultimate Sin was just too glam.

Yeah. Shot In The Dark was Ozzy's Jump or Photograph. Catchy tune that got a lot of radio play and MTV time. The album just didn't have the depth as Bark At The Moon.

sadaist
06-07-2006, 01:17 AM
The best part about Ultimate Sin was that tour was Metallicas Master of Puppets tour. They opened and tore Ozzy up. Man I miss Cliff.

DlocRoth
06-07-2006, 01:37 AM
I guess that's Ozzy's claim to fame....

His bands get blown off the stage by the openers ....;)

Panamark
06-07-2006, 01:55 AM
Bark at the Moon !

Ultimate Sin is miles better than Ozzy's last
few efforts, but I never throw it on anymore.
I do listen to BATM once in a while though.

I love the title track, what a fucking cool riff !!

Some of Jake E Lee's best work...

binnie
06-07-2006, 03:05 AM
Originally posted by DlocRoth
I guess that's Ozzy's claim to fame....

His bands get blown off the stage by the openers ....;)

LOL!

BruinJer
06-07-2006, 12:46 PM
Neither were the greatest album ever pressed but I'd say Bark At The Moon was better than Ultimate Sin. Rock N Roll Rebel, Bark At the Moon, Centre of Eternity and One Up The B' Side are good tunes. I still think Ozzmosis is the best post Randy studio Album.

binnie
06-07-2006, 01:27 PM
Ozzmosis, really?

I dig some of the tunes, but there is way too much production IMO...

Vinnie Velvet
06-08-2006, 11:07 AM
Bark all the way.

I really dug that album, even tough there's some that don't.

Even the ballad, "You're No Different", was good.

I especially liked "Now You See It, Now You Don't" and "Slow Down".

Sin was okay --- it was way over produced and way too poppy.

But it was 1986.

Lightening Strikes was good, as was Shot in the Dark (which Ozzy refuses to play live these days).

knuckleboner
06-08-2006, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Terry
Bark At The Moon just had better songs, due in no small part to Bob Daisley's participation.

what the hell does bob daisley have to do with it?! (i'm sorry, apparently i'm just channeling that bitch, sharon.:D)

but i'd take bark at the moon.

Terry
06-08-2006, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by sadaist
The best part about Ultimate Sin was that tour was Metallicas Master of Puppets tour. They opened and tore Ozzy up. Man I miss Cliff.

They fucking tore him up BIG fuckin' TIME!

I'm not even what you'd call a Metallica fan, and never really was huge on them (although the stuff they did with Cliff was excellent) - was at the show to see Ozzy, but Metallica were hungry and Ozzy...well, I think it was just after his first or second trip to Betty Ford, and he was wearing those Vegas style stage clothes and lots of makeup (watch any of those vids from the Ultimate Sin album and you'll see what I mean); it was just around this point that Ozzy was starting to slide into unconscious self-parody and his whole act was getting a little ho-hum...

Metallica fucking tore that place up. Ozzy was almost anticlimactic after they were done.

mako_kimura
06-18-2006, 08:55 PM
I prefer Ultimate Sin, cause the time between gave Jake enough time after Bark At The Moon to work on his chops. Also, they're very catchy

sadaist
06-18-2006, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet

Lightening Strikes was good, as was Shot in the Dark (which Ozzy refuses to play live these days).

Really? I haven't seen him in so long, I wouldn't know. What's the story? Why does he refuse to play what was arguably one of his biggest "hits".

binnie
06-20-2006, 10:34 AM
He probably thinks its a bit "pop", or maybe he's just sick of it....

Roy Munson
06-20-2006, 10:45 AM
I like 'em both. Jake is my favorite Ozzy guitarist.

binnie
06-20-2006, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Roy Munson
I like 'em both. Jake is my favorite Ozzy guitarist.

Mine too, and Badlands was an exceptional band....

Seshmeister
06-20-2006, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet

Shot in the Dark was written by the new bass player guy and brought by him to the band.

I don't really get the plaudits for 'Lightening Strikes'. Less bad than most of the songs on the album but it's a bit of a dirge.

'Thank God for the Bomb' is a fucking disgrace. I'm not talking about the lyrics although 'nuke ya nuke ya' is pretty toe curling, but the melody and bomb sounds which are fucking awful.

I guess the band and the management thought the 3 best songs on the album were 'Ultimate Sin', 'You'll never know why' and 'Shot in the Dark' as at the time they were the three they played live on TV here.

The first two of them are fucking rubbish and even the solos were poor with Lee trying to develop his own unique style with barred picked chords which although technically a bit tricky sounded boring.

The album is shit because of what was going on at the time. Ozzy was insanely out of his mind on booze during the recording(I think this was around the time he tried to murder his nightmare wife) plus no Bob Daisley to do the usual and organise the band to write all the songs,

Cheers!

:gulp:

Seshmeister
06-20-2006, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by binnie
He probably thinks its a bit "pop", or maybe he's just sick of it....

He's not sick of Paranoid then?

I know I have been for 25 years...

Roy Munson
06-20-2006, 11:35 PM

Yes, indeed!

:)

binnie
06-21-2006, 03:02 AM
High Wire is an exceptional riff!

Jake is just amazing, manages to play with great technique and feel...

bastardog
06-21-2006, 10:23 AM
Bark at the Moon for me.

Ultimate Sin had really good songs but listening to the entire album gave me the impression that all the songs sounds the same.
On all of the songs the chorus was repeated first one time, then two times, the three time, then four times...(well you get the idea)
good songs but too similar to be in the same album

binnie
06-21-2006, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by bastardog
Bark at the Moon for me.

Ultimate Sin had really good songs but listening to the entire album gave me the impression that all the songs sounds the same.
On all of the songs the chorus was repeated first one time, then two times, the three time, then four times...(well you get the idea)
good songs but too similar to be in the same album

You're absolutely right, IMO

WACF
06-21-2006, 04:28 PM

Too bad it ended the way it did for them...Badlands was outstanding.

binnie
06-21-2006, 04:36 PM
Couldn't agree more.

Damn shame.

1984dlrvh12
06-21-2006, 09:33 PM
bark at the moon. its just a good album good guitar riffs to.

The_KiD
06-21-2006, 10:23 PM
Just playing around in iTunes tonight and played through these two albums.. Gotta stick with Bark at the Moon..

KiD

Panamark
06-22-2006, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
He's not sick of Paranoid then?

I know I have been for 25 years...

Fuck yeah..

Its the *only* sabbath song they play on commercial
radio here.. Its like Black Dog. Both classic songs
killed by overplay.

I even cringe when somebody asks me to play it on
the guitar.

binnie
06-22-2006, 02:33 AM
Originally posted by Panamark
Fuck yeah..

killed by overplay.

the guitar.

I agree, I'm sick of it....

mako_kimura
06-22-2006, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Panamark
Fuck yeah..

killed by overplay.

the guitar.

Lol! That's me whenever someone asks me to play Master of Puppies, er, Puppets

Little Texan
07-08-2006, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by BruinJer
I still think Ozzmosis is the best post Randy studio Album.

Did you forget about "No More Tears"? That is an awesome album, great from beginning to end!

Little Texan
07-08-2006, 11:27 PM
Bark At The Moon has some good tunes on it, but it's not heavy enough for me and there are way too many keyboards and synthesizers on it for my taste...a product of the time period, i guess, much like some of the stuff on 1984. Bark is better than Sin, though.

Hellraiser!
07-10-2006, 01:34 PM
Bark at the Moons is the best!!! The title track, Waiting for Darkness, Slow Down and Centre of Eternity are fantastic tracks!!! Glorious days for Ozzy!!

The weakest song is the bonus track, Spiders in the Night, but at leeast is better than Dreamer and shit like that...

Little Texan
07-10-2006, 07:13 PM
I like Bark At The Moon, Slow Down, and One Up The B Side from that album.