PDA

View Full Version : Songwriting credits on SWTD

diamondD
06-09-2006, 12:19 PM
I noticed on the songwriting credits on SWTD that all songs were credited to all 4 members of VH, until you get to the 1984 stuff. I'll Wait was the only one credited with all 4, while Panama and Jump were listed as only Dave and the brothers. This probably cost Mike some money in the long run, since those 2 are played on the radio way more.

You can really tell that tension and dissention was getting thick back then.

bueno bob
06-09-2006, 12:22 PM
Well, just as long as Joe Thunder got credit for co-writing half of everything, it's OK...

:D

ELVIS
06-09-2006, 01:57 PM
Is this worthy of main discussion ??

NO!

sadaist
06-09-2006, 02:38 PM
Well, if VH ever really sold out their music to commercials and such, that's where Mike would really miss out on the money. Jump or Panama could be used so many different ways to help advertise a product. Ozzy, The Rolling Stones, Led Zep, and many others have done it. I haven't seen any with VH.

Redballjets88
06-09-2006, 02:42 PM
i wish VH would let commercials use there stuff

ELVIS
06-09-2006, 03:35 PM
Why ???

ELVIS
06-09-2006, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by sadaist
I haven't seen any with VH.

That's good!

WARF
06-09-2006, 05:05 PM
Joe Thunder wrote this song. Next question, stupid.

EAT MY ASSHOLE
06-09-2006, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS

NO!

Sure it is...especially since when 1984 first came out (no, not "came out" like Warham to his parents the night of his high school graduation, came out like 'release date")(no, not "release date" like when you go to one of those japanese massage parlors for a good ol' "rub'n'tug", but...well, you know...) all four shared songwriting credits on all the songs (with Michael McDonald for some reaosn getting a credit on I'll Wait).

Something weird happened contractually to Anthony. And it can only bode poorly for a full-scale reunion. say what you will whether he desreved the credit in the first place, he got dicked if the brothers rescinded what he's always had.

Oh, and BTW, CVH HAS been used in commercials: Nissan's use of "You Really Got Me" back when, case in point.

Guitar Shark
06-09-2006, 05:25 PM

NO!

LOL, dude what bug crawled up your ass? ;)

diamondD
06-09-2006, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Guitar Shark
LOL, dude what bug crawled up your ass? ;)

No shit, Since when do you not talk about the inner workings of Van Halen in the main? I know it might have bumped some Ed is a drunk threads down, but I don't see where you are coming from on this one. It just struck me as odd, since I had never noticed it before until the new cd came out.

But suit yourself...

ELVIS
06-09-2006, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE

Oh, and BTW, CVH HAS been used in commercials: Nissan's use of "You Really Got Me" back when, case in point.

That was not Van Halen...

Get yer facts straight...

Big Troubles
06-09-2006, 07:41 PM
Cool thread. what was the question?

EAT MY ASSHOLE
06-09-2006, 07:41 PM
That was not Van Halen...

Get yer facts straight...

Uh...it was Van Halen. Ray Davies wrote the tune, but Nissan still needed VH's permission to use the song for the commercial.

And in fact, as part of the contract, the borthers got Nissan's top of the line car along with a fat payday.

I've got my facts straight...get yours.

Big Troubles
06-09-2006, 07:42 PM
yes. I think Joe Thunder is gay too.

EAT MY ASSHOLE
06-09-2006, 07:43 PM
Wall Street Journal

April 9, 1997 - There was a small reference to Van Halen in yesterdays Wall Street Journal. The article, beginning in Column 6 of the front page, focused on the Nissan commercial which featured Van Halen's You Really Got Me.

The article noted that the commercial didn't directly help sales, but that almost every advertising magazine in the USA hailed it as the year's best ad. It seems that Van Halen didn't originally want to lend the music, so Nissan sent each of the boys their own 300ZX car (the car in the ad is a miniature ZX). Soon, Nissan had Van Halen's blessing.

http://72.14.209.104/search?q=cache:uRsb02htf0AJ:www.vhnd.com/archive/0497.shtml+van+halen+nissan&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=3

Suck it, Elrod. :p

ELVIS
06-09-2006, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by diamondD
I don't see where you are coming from on this one.

The title of this forum is " VH/DLR Songs And Albums"...

Are you prepared to argue that your topic doesn't fit under this description ??

I didn't think so...

It just struck me as odd, since I had never noticed it before until the new cd came out.

I hear ya, and I never said the topic was not interesting or not worthy of a discussion...

But suit yourself...

Just because you had a two second brainstorm doesn't mean you should post it in the main discussion forum...

:elvis:

EAT MY ASSHOLE
06-09-2006, 07:46 PM
Uh...Elf...Strummin' With the Devil ***IS*** a dave album, and thus worthy of discussion in the Dave Songs and Albums thread.

I know yo're all worried what with it being hurricane season and all, but, dude, chilll.

ELVIS
06-09-2006, 07:47 PM
Uh...it was Van Halen. Ray Davies wrote the tune, but Nissan still needed VH's permission to use the song for the commercial.

And in fact, as part of the contract, the borthers got Nissan's top of the line car along with a fat payday.

I've got my facts straight...get yours.

I heard it...

It was not Van Halen...

It was a copy of the Van Halen version...

ThrillsNSpills
06-09-2006, 07:48 PM
I noticed on the songwriting credits on SWTD that all songs were credited to all 4 members of VH, until you get to the 1984 stuff. I'll Wait was the only one credited with all 4, while Panama and Jump were listed as only Dave and the brothers. This probably cost Mike some money in the long run, since those 2 are played on the radio way more.

You can really tell that tension and dissention was getting thick back then.

It was still split 4 ways on 1984.
He could have given up some of it for his 2004 tour conditions.

EAT MY ASSHOLE
06-09-2006, 07:54 PM
I heard it...

It was not Van Halen...

It was a copy of the Van Halen version...

Read post #16. Sorry, bro, it was VH. And even if it wasn't - and it was - the similarities are so substantial that the band could have sued for copyright infringement.

ELVIS
06-09-2006, 08:07 PM
Read post #16.

I did...

Sorry, bro, it was VH.

Bullshit...

But If you insist you're correct, prove it...

EAT MY ASSHOLE
06-09-2006, 08:09 PM
IT WAS PUBLISHED IN THE DAMN WALL STREET JOURNAL!!!! DO YOU THINK THEY MAKE SHIT UP OUT OF THE BLUE????

GOOGLE "VAN HALEN NISSAN" YOURSELF@!!! HOLY FRIGGIN COW YOU'RE DENSE AS PIG SHIT!!!

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=van+halen+nissan&btnG=Google+Search

Guitar Shark
06-09-2006, 08:15 PM
HOLY FRIGGIN COW YOU'RE DENSE AS PIG SHIT!!!

The pig shit I've seen is more liquid than solid, actually.

EAT MY ASSHOLE
06-09-2006, 08:16 PM
The pig shit I've seen is more liquid than solid, actually.

Mmm, hmmm....you're telling a guy with a name like Eat My Asshole about pig shit?

I think not.

Guitar Shark
06-09-2006, 08:17 PM
Mmm, hmmm....you're telling a guy with a name like Eat My Asshole about pig shit?

I think not.

Point taken.

However, by that logic, a guy with a name like "ELVIS" is probably more knowledgeable about songwriting credits.

So sorry. ;)

ELVIS
06-09-2006, 08:17 PM
Asshole quote:
IT WAS PUBLISHED IN THE DAMN WALL STREET JOURNAL!!!!

I HEARD IT! I SAW THE COMMERCIAL!

IT WAS NOT VAN HALEN... PERIOD!

EAT MY ASSHOLE
06-09-2006, 08:21 PM
oh, but it was.

You deranged stupid nut.

Guitar Shark
06-09-2006, 08:21 PM
Somebody give ELVIS a blowjob quick, he's awfully tense.

Guitar Shark
06-09-2006, 08:22 PM
P.S. It was VH. ;)

EAT MY ASSHOLE
06-09-2006, 08:23 PM
Point taken.

However, by that logic, a guy with a name like "ELVIS" is probably more knowledgeable about songwriting credits.

So sorry. ;)

Why? Elvis Presley hardly wrote any of the songs he ever did.

Guitar Shark
06-09-2006, 08:24 PM
Why? Elvis Presley hardly wrote any of the songs he ever did.

True, which is why he had to learn all about giving other people credit.

Dumbass.

EAT MY ASSHOLE
06-09-2006, 08:27 PM
Besides, Elvis...what makes you think ANY of the guys in VH would hesitate for a split second to license out their songs?

They did so "Jamies Cryin" on The Private parts soundtrack

They did so for that goddamn milk moustache ad.

dave did so for some japanese electronics thing, and has CONSTANTLY commented on how he woud sell-out in a NY minute, but all these sponsors are worried about associating their product with Dave's bad-boy image.

van hagar did so for pepsi with "right now".

so shut the hell up. You're wrong, just like always. how you remember to breathe half the time is beyond me.

Guitar Shark
06-09-2006, 08:28 PM
so shut the hell up. You're wrong, just like always. how you remember to breathe half the time is beyond me.

Don't forget that he's on your side of the political fence.

Sleep on THAT one. ;)

EAT MY ASSHOLE
06-09-2006, 08:29 PM
True, which is why he had to learn all about giving other people credit.

Dumbass.

The only thing I give you credit for is your ability to give a top-notch hummer while driving down the highway. Most impressive indeed, missy!

EAT MY ASSHOLE
06-09-2006, 08:31 PM
Don't forget that he's on your side of the political fence.

Sleep on THAT one. ;)

...shit-balls...

ELVIS
06-09-2006, 08:35 PM
Elvis...what makes you think ANY of the guys in VH would hesitate for a split second to license out their songs?

Ummm...

Because that is what is commonly known as "selling out" ??

EAT MY ASSHOLE
06-09-2006, 08:40 PM
Ummm...

Because that is what is commonly known as "selling out" ??

And then I went ahead and backed up my claim with specific examples...I beleive that right here on this very site you can view dave's japanese electronics ad (which I believe was from around the skyscraper era)...Elvis...just b/c you don;t want to believe it doesn't make it so.

diamondD
06-10-2006, 01:55 AM
:elvis:

From the response that I've seen, it was more like your 1 second decision to move it. ;)

Just picking at you E, but, like I said, compared to what's in Main, and the difference between 1984 songwriting credits and what they say now, I'll try not to bring anything new to main from now on, since it's so busy.

diamondD
06-17-2006, 01:29 AM
Never mind, saw that the same article was posted by EMA..

But it was Van Halen... I don't see how anyone could think it wasn't.

diamondD
06-17-2006, 01:44 AM
If anyone ever needed more proof, there's no denying who this is playing on this commercial. Never tried to imbed a video into a post before, but here's the link.

VH Nissan Commercial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwMG7ifuTjQ&search=nissan)

FORD
06-17-2006, 03:41 AM
YouTube says "early 1990's" but I distinctly remember that ad debuting in the summer of 1996, perfectly timed to the reunion hype that was raging across the country at the time.

Oddly enough, the ad seemed to disappear soon after Eddie stabbed Dave & the fans in the back, as well.

I've also heard the ad Elvis is thinking of. It turned my stomach.

bueno bob
06-17-2006, 04:22 AM
I don't recall seeing the VH Nissan ad until mid '97, give or take...and I didn't think that was VH either, I always thought it was a copycat band...wasn't all that licensing a Ray Danniels deal, though? I think I remember hearing something about it being his decision and he encouraged Ed and Al to take the money and run with it...

There was no mistaking "Right Now" for the Crystal Pepsi ads, though...

binnie
06-17-2006, 07:42 AM
Hello Bob, hope all is well?

diamondD
06-17-2006, 09:12 AM
How do you post a video into a thread? I've got another one I need to share with the board.

ThrillsNSpills
06-17-2006, 09:16 AM
Where is says embed just copy and paste it directly into the message field. No need to use IMG or anything.

diamondD
06-17-2006, 12:53 PM
Thanks TNS! :D Check out fan intro.

EAT MY ASSHOLE
06-17-2006, 01:02 PM
How do you post a video into a thread? I've got another one I need to share with the board.

Just break the site again, why don't you...

(and Elve's fragile heart while you're at it)