PDA

View Full Version : The Who 2006 live @ leeds/Townshend on setlist

Jack68
06-11-2006, 06:39 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5052960.stm Im heading out friday night for this.Very psyched the place holds 1800 or so.
10 June 2006
Homework

Back to Diary Dates
We've got the Who machine back up and running, and the band sounds good. We are developing a special six screen video system to provide an alternative and a complement to our lighting rig - hey! we could get sexy dancers and we'd have as cool a show as Kylie (get well soon sweetheart and keep fighting).

For the European leg of the tour Roger introduced CRY IF YOU WANT into the set, and we have swotted up on DON'T EVEN KNOW MYSELF, RELAY, GETTING IN TUNE, THE SEEKER, ANOTHER TRICKY DAY, NAKED EYE, BARGAIN, PURE & EASY, I'M A BOY, TATOO and LET'S SEE ACTION to fly in - all special requests from fans.

We will also squeeze in the big classics for those who don't always follow our shows.

In the coming week we are cutting into the new Mini-Opera for the first time. This weekend is Homework time so I feel very much in synch with my son and all the other teenagers doing their exams this month. The songs we will rehearse to include in the early part of our set are the six songs as follows: SOUND ROUND, PICK UP THE PEACE, ENDLESS WIRE, WE GOT A HIT, THEY MADE MY DREAMS COME TRUE and the track currently getting initial radio play here in the UK MIRROR DOOR.

For the real fanatics (and bootleggers) out there, Roger and I both put together lists of songs we really want to play at some point during the tour this coming year. We have been inspired by the Stones to do this - though we are trying to shorten out marathon show at the same time, so it's hard to find a spot in the show to fit them in. So many of our songs are long. Put BABA O'RILEY, WHO ARE YOU, WON'T GET FOOLED AGAIN, and some stuff from QUADROPHENIA and TOMMY in a show and you already fill almost an hour of playing time. It looks like our show will run about 100 minutes.

I will publish a list of so-called "Who Rarities" that we hope to introduce one by one on the American tour later this year. This has some really fun stuff on it including our first Mini-Opera, and stuff like Roger's song HERE FOR MORE and BLUE, RED and GREY performed by me on a ukelele.

Working with Rachel on IN THE ATTIC has made me quite a bit braver about tackling unusual songs, and I'm hoping that on occasion - where a "Rarity" may not work on the big Who stage, I might be able to play it Live on IN THE ATTIC. I may be able to persuade Roger to join us sometimes. So there should be some interesting times ahead.
Also every show will be streamed over the net very cool idea.
http://thewholive.tv/#

DrMaddVibe
06-11-2006, 06:52 PM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Jack68
06-11-2006, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

I know its no bluegrass cover of their past hits but ill take it.Go ahead doc throw a pedophile joke over the outside corner i can take it.

Shaun Ponsonby
06-12-2006, 07:40 AM
Post the actual setlist on Saturday. I'm interested to know what they will be playing in Liverpool on 5th and 6th of July.

Hardrock69
06-12-2006, 09:33 AM
If they actually tour the US later this year I will go. I have never seen any of the members of the Who play live.

Too bad I did not go see them when I had the chance in 1989 when John Entwistle was still alive.

Shaun Ponsonby
06-20-2006, 07:45 AM
The full setlist

Who Are You?
I Can't Explain
The Seeker
Subsititue
Wire & Glass
Sound Around
Pick Up The Peace
Endless Wire
We've Got A Hit
They Made My Dreams Come True
Mirror Door
Baba O' Reily
Relay
Behind Blue Eyes
Pinball Wizard
Amazing Journey
See Me, Feel Me
Listening To You
----------------------------------
Eminence Front
Won't Get Fooled Again

Good set. Couple of songs I'd rather have in the middle-"The Real Me" springs to mind. But, all in all, looks like a good show.

binnie
06-20-2006, 07:59 AM
That is a good set....

Shaun Ponsonby
06-20-2006, 08:05 AM
Suprised that "My Generation" isn't there.

binnie
06-20-2006, 10:11 AM
Thats true, but I could live with out it, I've heard it a thousand times...

Shaun Ponsonby
06-20-2006, 10:40 AM
Oh, yea, absolutley. I'm not saying that its a particularly bad thing that they've dropped it, probably even a sigh of relief for them. Its just suprising.

binnie
06-20-2006, 10:41 AM
Maybe that means they're not gonna be complacent, but go out and really mix it up.......

Shaun Ponsonby
06-20-2006, 10:43 AM
I hope so/hope not, if you know what I mean.

binnie
06-20-2006, 10:53 AM
Yeah, I do....

m_dixon1984
06-20-2006, 11:48 AM
My brother, the hedge fund manager, saw them play Hegdestock in Knebworth on June 7th.

He'll be in Ottawa on the weekend and I'll try to get the setlist and/or photos.

He's one lucky bastard I tell you. There were about 3000 people at The Who performance and the only information I have was that Roger's voice sounded great and Pete was awesome (of course he's not much of music lover, he's a hedge fund manager after all)

M

Shaun Ponsonby
06-20-2006, 11:56 AM
Theres only gonna be 4000 there in Liverpool as well. Nice and intimate.

Also, I just found out that they're doing the encore thing again (where you can buy an official CD of the show), but are actually filming the shows so that you can get DVDs, CDs or a combo pack instead of just a CD.

Larvelly.

Jack68
06-30-2006, 06:59 PM
WHO ARE YOU
I CAN'T EXPLAIN
SUBSTITUTE
THE SEEKER
WIRE & GLASS (SOUNDROUND/IN THE ETHER/PICK UP THE PEACE/ENDLESS WIRE/WE GOT
A HIT/MIRROR DOOR)
BABA O'RILEY
LETS SEE ACTION
RELAY
MY LAST POST - (New song title unconfirmed)
BEHIND BLUE EYES
CRY IF YOU WANT
PINBALL WIZARD
AMAZING JOURNEY
SPARKS
SEE ME FEEL ME/LISTENING TO YOU
* ENCORE *
EMINENCE FRONT
NAKED EYE (Full band version)
WON'T GET FOOLED AGAIN
Missed a few shaun.i went it was excellent,very loud.lets see action was incredible.Naked eye was all electric and it was all filmed in high def.it was 100 degrees in the place and the new stuff went over very well.

Shaun Ponsonby
07-01-2006, 09:50 AM
Fuck, I can't WAIT for Wednesday. Its gonna be fookin' GRATE.

Jack68
07-05-2006, 07:21 PM
http://mfile.akamai.com/25795/rm/creativetank.download.akamai.com/25795/real.creativetank/archive/WHO_HYDEPARK_02_07_2006_Upload.ram

Shaun Ponsonby
07-06-2006, 08:15 AM
Thanks a lot.

Setlist was slightly different last night

(Lets see if I can remember, might not be in right order)

I Can't Explain
The Seeker
Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere
Who Are You?
The Kids Are Alright
Behind Blue Eyes
Let's See Action
NEW SONG (I think it was called "Vertigo", I didn't catch the title cos someone yelled right down my ear when Pete said it)
Real Good Lookin' Boy
Baba O' Reily
Love Reign O'er Me
You Better You Bet
My Generation
Won't Get Fooled Again
-----------------------------------------------
Substitute
Pinball Wizard
Amazing Journey
Sparks
See Me, Feel Me
Listening To You

I don't think I've missed anything.

BTW, probably the best gig I've ever seen.

New album out in September, sounds promising.

Jack68
07-06-2006, 10:55 AM
Looks like a great setlist,the new song you heard was the Mike Post theme.It looked and sounded great on whotv live.Was it in a tent?bring on the new album.you going again tonight?

Shaun Ponsonby
07-06-2006, 02:33 PM
I think it used to be a real tent, but now its made of real building materials. It's a good festival, actually. They put it up every year and they have aboot a month of concerts and some of the biggest names in music play to 4000-odd people. Saw Whitesnake there on Monday as well, will be seeing The Darkness next Thursday, and wanted to see James Brown, but methinks its sold out now.

But, it was fookin' HOT, sweaty, it smelled bad (a mixture of BO, the docks and some guy who kept farting in front of me)-and it just added to the atmsophere. Best crowd I've ever been in as well. Pete and Roger actually looked shocked at the reception. And I was shocked that they seemed shocked.

I would LOVE to go again tonight, but I didn't have the money for both nights. If I had £100 in my pocket, I'd even risk getting some from touts outside RIGHT NOW (at time of writing, the doors-or rather flaps-have just opened).

Anyone who says The Who should quit obviously hasn't seen them recently.

Shaun Ponsonby
07-07-2006, 05:14 AM
Pete's thoughts on the show.

"Amazing crowd last night. Warm and loud. I think Roger suddenly seemed at ease, and he sang with real force and vivacity. The band were great."

FORD
07-07-2006, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
Suprised that "My Generation" isn't there.

Maybe they finally realized how ridiculous it is to sing "Hope I die before I get old" in their 60's?

I think this is gonna be the end for the so-called "Who".

I appreciate their attempts to make the new material sound like classic stuff, but when Daltrey sings beyond his 60 year old vocal cords' physical limits, the results are excruciating.

Shaun Ponsonby
07-07-2006, 12:17 PM
Doubt it.

OK, admitedly his voice is kinda shot, but that was without a doubt the best gig I've ever been to, and my dad said the same thing.

The new stuff sounded promsising as well.

And there's still a lot of people out there who want to see them.

Jack68
07-07-2006, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Maybe they finally realized how ridiculous it is to sing "Hope I die before I get old" in their 60's?

I think this is gonna be the end for the so-called "Who".

I appreciate their attempts to make the new material sound like classic stuff, but when Daltrey sings beyond his 60 year old vocal cords' physical limits, the results are excruciating.
I wont even get into what is ridiculous to sing and such at any age.Not that singing about a car or a teacher in your 50s would be interesting to see.Daltreys voice is getting stronger as the tour goes on it is only 7th show or so.The "so called who"?Nobody said this is the real Who or anything like that im happy just to see them live again.The show in leeds university i saw was excellent.I do agree with your statement of the end,i think they just want one more payday and go around.Whether you like the new stuff is fine but it went over very well live.ill take a new disc and tour and call it a day.Id love to read your post and i hope i do when and if classic vh ever reunites.Id like to see how critical you are of Dave and his voice.oh yeah happy birthday ya bastard.:D

Jack68
07-09-2006, 04:51 PM
Thought so.